New Simplicity pattern

It occured to me today as I was working on my latest sewing project that I have several yards of the upholstry material used to edge/trim/face your jacket, Skot. I was planning on making a gawahzee coat from it, but ended up using a purple version instead.

The Duchess

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The breeches in Simplicity pattern 4923 are not historically accurate. They lack a waistband that is narrow in front and wide in back, a gusset in the back with drawstring, gathers at the waistline in back, and buttons on the front underlaps. If you want a historically correct pattern to sew, Eagle's View Patterns Broadfall Drop Front Breeches (PM/73) is available for $8 from Sewing Central. This web site also has patterns for shirts, and vests.

http://www.sewingcentral.com/cgi-bin/Web_s...id=4015794_9690

:huh:

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate!

Well Simplicity isn't known for being historically accurate. I was just impressed that they made the effort to include the front flap breeches. Most of their costume pants are just the elastic waist, pull-on type.

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

The breeches in Simplicity pattern 4923 are not historically accurate.

That's why the pattern is labeled "Costume." The coat is not historically accurate, either (faux pockets, no lining, etc. etc.).

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

• 1 month later...

I really hope this will work this time. I am having a dickens of a time uploading my own pics...

[ LINK DELETED ]

CRAP! I cannot get a pic of my son's pirate coat online! I have to get it assigned a URL to post... but even loading onto a freebie picture posting site (I have done it twice now) does not allow me to link back to it, either as a direct URL or by posting the image directly.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

This is my coat made from the Simplicity pattern.

See my coat here

Oooohhhhh!, How did I miss this post? Lovely....ah the coat...that is. Yes, yes, I meant the coat. Oh, and the boots, and the breeches. Yes!

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

THANK YOU! My son will be so proud to see this picture here (he'll be with me this weekend). He absolutely FREAKED when I presented him with that coat.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

• 1 month later...

never been one for the fancy dan feather look. :o

the picture dosent really do it justice.

i added gussets (think thats the right term) to the bottom for a fuller bottom so it moves right in the wind. ill make sure to get pics of the trim aswell. the flat braid for the button trim was hell because i turned it back alonside itself and hand stitched the sides together. and the cuff and opening trim is the rope trim usually used on apolstery but it was the look I was going for.

and large cuffs were very popular at the time. check potc and look at Governor Swann's coat he has very large cuffs aswell. I modofied them from the patern aswell to get a more acurate look

Nope, it was actually my first real project. As long as you have basic knowledge of a sewing machine and access to someone who can walk you through the more complicated piecing, it's pretty simple...just time consuming

Agreed. The pattern is very workable -- If you know how to use a pattern, and know how to use a sewing machine, time is the only "problem" factor. Oh, and the cost of buttons. You need three hundred and seventy seven gajillion buttons.

One tip -- make sure your trim does not fray too much when cut (i.e. ribbon works better than micro-fiber polyester braid). That was an overlooked problem on my son's coat.

Again, this (Simplicity) is a "Costume" pattern -- not historically accurate/authentic. It looks GREAT -- but if you strive for accuracy, you want a well-researched historically authentic pattern -- and these, as a rule, can be VERY difficult to work with.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

One tip -- make sure your trim does not fray too much when cut (i.e. ribbon works better than micro-fiber polyester braid). That was an overlooked problem on my son's coat.

Try using FrayCheck, a liquid that dries hard and keeps your trim from unravelling. That's what I did for the trim on my coat. :huh:

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

Actually its not really POTC that I use for accuracy. There are other movies., for example one being say Rob Roy. That said the many coats used by Montrose as well as his factor.,or the swordsman., and others on the english side all had LARGE cuffs. Also in the Beginning of Cutthroat Island when Matthew Modine was at the ball stealing. LARGE CUFFS were afforded by people with $$$$ ....,poverty (Peasants) had simple designs). The wealthy business types and Nobility had tailors that were including more style. In later years obviously the cuff size reduced.

I think its a great Coat Misery., and actually more accurate than many. (What is accurate when they were all custom made and none photographed) I think its on the money.

Crew0002.jpg

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Ow the ole saying go "Nothin up me sleeve?" Just try and be convincin the mate that be loosin to ya cross the table in cards. on the other hand, it be easy hidin a pistol in there. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Shoots anything that moves!!

I was havin' some thoughts on Justicourps (The coat shown in the photos) (also French for tight fitting.......)

OH Yah.... this is more Capt. Twill.......... As "working clothing" it just dosen't work.... but as show off swag..... aaaargh they do look nice..... the fancyer and more trim, the better........ (to much Howard Pyle... but they DO look sooooo Pyratie................) and dang.... they do look cool (ok they are hot... but "beauty is pain")

All the buttons.... the trim.... (and you can never put on to much.... look at the real Period ones...... they were covered with trim)

I still like the idea of a realy fancy justicourp.... with two crudely sewn on patches on on the front and one on the back...... well where do you think I got such a fyne coat.......... pyrate........ ( ok rattling now....) still a fun coat..... and I enjoy seeing the effort people have put into making thiers..........