New Simplicity pattern

Just finished sewing the waistcoat (from the Simplicity pattern). Have some internal hand-stitching yet to finish, then it's the button holes, which will take a couple days (gotta do them by hand!). Then it's done.

Mercenary Wench, I used a lightweight upholstry fabric with a pleasing pattern. It looks great. And it's lighter than most wools.

Authentic patterns are available from a wide variety of sources. The one I would look at first is Dixie Gun Works. But that is only because I have had a long and happy experience shopping with them; their onine searchable catalog should help you find something rapidly. Others will undoubtedly have their preferred pattern suppliers.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alright i dont know if ne1 already posted about this, but at walmart in a pattern book (i think it was simplicity, maybe mccalls) they had historically correct underwear patterns like hoopskirts, bloomers, and corsets. all different eras too. there were lots of outfits to go over them, and some were GORGEOUS! really heavy looking though. it must have been simplicity because it had the sparrow costume in it. i prefer to design my own stuff though. it seems to look better that way, because it is designed specifically to fit my shape well. i still prefer patterns for tricky things like corsets and such.

Simplicity carries these underwear patterns; they are in their Historic line (indicating they are well researched; I am as yet unable to verify this, but they look very very good), although these are still found among the "Costume" collection. I have several of these patterns (99c each on clearance sale!) but have not tackled any yet. One is a men's long underwear pattern -- this is the first I will make! My daughters want the bloomers and petticoats.

A few hours after my last post, the waistcoat was finished. I am in the process of hand-stitching the button holes (15, *sigh*), which I am accomplishing on my commute train ride each morning and evening... It has to be finished by Friday night...

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Gads -- which is harder, hand-sewing 14 button holes, or 14 buttons? The button holes were no major problem -- I have possibly hand-sewn hundreds in my lifetime -- but the buttons are a drag. They are boring.

The waistcoat pattern calls for 15 buttons, but these buttons are sold in pairs, and Joann Fabrics only had 7 of any single style in stock. The waistcoat, therefore, will have 14 buttons. :huh:

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack up updates... the waistcoat turned out phenomenal! Of course, all the pics are in cameras of others. I wore it for the opening of the Oshkosh Museum pirate exhibit, and it made for a rather enjoyable minimalist outfit. Comfortable, too.

The coat will be next...

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

The one picture to which I have access does not show the waistcoat in any if its glory whatsoever. That's what I get for stading in the back row. Of course, you cannot really see nor criticize my 1860s Civil War foorwear, either.

So, that would be back row, third from left, among the Fool's Gold Crewe. Amazing detail on the waistcoat, wouldn't you agree?

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

wool is a wonderful fabric ....first of all it is period!!!

secondly it does great in wet environments it keeps you warm even when soaked....why else would scots and nords make so much clothing from it!!!!

thirdly it will last and if you take the time to finish your coat by hand it will always have the look of authentic wear from the age of pirates ....it can be a bit warm for summer fests but as the season changes and the rains come smelling like a sheep sure beats hypothermia

i spent 20 years at sea and i would always keep a wool jumper/sweater handy and a wool cap even in summer ....it gets cold at sea

After seeing a couple of gals recently heading for ComicCon in the coats using the "Jack Sparrow" pattern, I have decided I don't like it. It makes a gal's hips and thighs look even bigger because of the insets.

I've got another coat to do, and I've chosen a Butterick pattern I have that is identical to the one used in the costume book, Sketch Book '76 (mens clothing), but using a nicer back pleat which will make the sides look more refined.

So I will be getting to work on that within the next few days I hope.

No that's not the pattern, though I do have that one and have used it, but it's straightness is kind of uninteresting and looks more like a modern day coat.

The pattern I have is Butterick, number is P203 (History pattern), I'm using the 38,40,42 size as that seems to fit most men.

Besides the coat, it comes with waistcoat, pants, shirt, and even a pattern for a hat! I've used all (except the hat) and have had very good results with it.

Actually it's a more Colonial type, but by the time I get done re-doing the back and cuffs, it will be correct. It's very easy to change things yourself, like the cuffs which are simply made bigger, and add a bit more to the back pleat so that it looks fuller. Add a back belt across the pleat and there you have it!

In the case of the coat I'm going to make using this pattern, I'm not going to angle it so severely from the front to the back, and instead will make it so the angle is more subline and the coat can be buttoned for cooler weather.

It's a real easy pattern to work with. The orignal cost is $14.95 for the pattern, but I got it at a Jo Ann's sale for a dollar last year.

I have the Jas Townsend frock coat/gentleman's pattern by J.P. Ryan, which is similar (and the cost of that pattern was a whopping $17.00!), but much more difficult to understand (it's the pattern I used for the beaded frock coat I made), and I don't recommend it.

Funny thing, usually Butterick patterns are kind of difficult sometimes to use, but not this one. I found the Simplicity pattern (which I have too) to extremly difficult to deal with. And as some said, the arms of the pattern I have don't seem to be matching up very well, nor do the cuffs, (after I cut out the pattern pieces and tried to match them all up), which seem to be done in a strange manner.

• 7 months later...

It took me forever, but I finally splurged on some upholstery fabric to make my own coat out of the Simplicity pattern.

I plunked down $130. That does not even include the braid or buttons... and I have to keep hitting the stores on subequent trips to get all the buttons I need, as none seem to have more than 8 in stock at any given time. I started with one type of button, then changed my mind. Thank God I only had invested in 8 of the abandoned type, as those puppies aren't cheap.

Earlier in this topic, I mentioned the coat I made for my son two Hallowe'ens ago. Since then I have been searching for the right fabric.

While I have an authentic coat pattern at hand, I found the Simplicity pattern to be ... er... sheer simplicity. I will save the historical pattern for a later, grander project.

...Updates will be posted when I have anything else to share. Wish me luck!

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

Capt. Straw.... check on e-bay.... there is a company out of Florida that post there all the time.... they sell about 75 to 100 buttons for around $15.00 ... and they have a lot of different styles. I think I did a search for "metal" ... or maybe "brass buttons".... They are all modern buttons, but I think they will have what you are looking for....

I know where Pete's comin' from.

JoAnn fabrics has a wonderful collection of metal buttons that can pass easily off as old style buttons from th' era. Even a vintage line that I just adore!

But the price of them for 2 or 3 a card... Yikes!

If you have the doubloons... I like the buttons that Joann has. Ditto with the trim. Always some lovely trim they have there to make your coat look like a King's ransom!

BTW, Pete you have the Simplicity pattern... the one that has the Jack Sparrow-ish gent on the front?

:o

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Yes: Simplicity pattern 4923. I bought a couple of them for $1 each, along with about 30 other patterns at the same price. I used one to make drop-fall trousers for my son (for Civil War reenacting -- simply lengthened the legs of the drop-fall breeches), and a pirate coat for him (the image was posted earlier in this thread, but had disappeared).

The other pattern (adult size) I used to make the waistcoat you saw in Oshkosh. I cut out the pieces for breeches, but have not sewn them yet. I am now making the coat. When I finish the sleeves, it will be done. When I add the braid, it will be great.

I have been accessing historical pirate woodcuts for trim ideas, but Don Maitz paintings are heavily influencing my decisions. I rewatched almost all my pirate movies for other ideas...

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

Regarding JoAnn Fabrics...

Yes -- they have so many excellent historical-looking buttons, I actually had too many to choose from. As I changed my mind once, I even have a few EXCELLENT buttons I will save for another project.

Ditto regarding their trim. I thought up a dozen new projects simply wandering the trim/braid aisle. I have several ideas already for my NEXT pirate coat...

Patrick -- thanks for the tip. I will certainly try a search. I have a million unrealized projects...

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

:lol:B):lol: Amen there, Pete! I'm in th' same boat as you! JoAnn fabrics can be an inspiration on new outfits just by lookin' at their trim an' th' buttons!

Waiting for my tax refund so I can swing by the fabric stores and WalMart in hopes to find the discounted velvet again. ::le sigh:: I knew I should have bought it when I spotted it.

Tis the same pattern I am using to make my nephew his pirate outfit.

:unsure:

Right so, back in November I made the simplicity patttern for myself, for my new winter coat. Did it in wool, which I got a deal on - didn't spend more the $70. Got great looking buttons off ebay. . . looks fab if I say so myself.

I liked the pattern, execept the cuffs were crazy. I also decided to add pockets to mine for functionality, but that wasn't hard.

I wear the thing all the time now. It's so much cooler then a boring old trench coat - especially on Hot Topic excusions.

Wicked, MercenaryW!

Would love to see pictures of this new coat of yours. :)

B)

Makes me wonder what might happen if I put on me puffy shirt, blue jeans, and frock coat, and took a bit of a stroll into Hot Topic with me 41-year old arse. Plus the requisite jewelry, mind you. Shoulder-length hair and all.... B) :)

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

I used one to make drop-fall trousers for my son (for Civil War reenacting -- simply lengthened the legs of the drop-fall breeches), and a pirate coat for him (the image was posted earlier in this thread, but had disappeared).

Well, ye can't expect to highjack me website forever with yer pics. It's about time ye got yer own.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.