New Simplicity pattern

AkashaZuul: I tried to complete it last weekend but there were too many interruptions. I would say it took about 20-25 hours total. The fabric I found at Wal-Mart in the bargin bin; when I saw it I KNEW that it was meant for me. :huh:

piratelassie: The sleeves were fine because I made a mistake and cut them XL where the jacket was a L.

Thank'ee fer the compliments.

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah well, that coat ze person above *points* made is lovely, though.

The name is Grey....Captain Grey. ;)

Atala Syrcuse, yer only sayin' that cuz ye can't see "under the hood", so-to-speak. I still be a hack compared to me costumin' friends who sew Victorian ballgowns. ;)

But I thank'ee both fer yer kind words.

hook_banner2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
If you can't find it at Joanns try Handcock's. I got mine there and their patterns are always 50% off. I am trying to make the vest for my Cap'n Jack (Bartholemew that is). Being as he also uses it when he is performing, it needs lots of pockets added for storing walk-around illusions.  B)

Anyone out there know how to how to incorporate top-it's? B)

Hmmm

A top-it in a vest? Interesting.

I don't use e'm meself.

But I think I do need ta pick up this pattern ...

and then learn ta sew B)

Ace me lad... the top-it is dificult but I think I got it figured out. The Cap'n uses a top-it more for storage during walk-around more than the traditional use. Had a little medical issue with my neck 'n back and have been confined to bed but an feeling better so on with the vest.

We have a show 9/18 'n the Cap'n needs it then. I have been able to give my vent a costume finally. It is an infant baptismal dress I made in twill 'n cotton. Other than it looks new I think it turned out great.

By the by Handcock Fabrics had a sale on Simplicity patterns this last Monday I got 25 historical & doll patterns worth $375.00 for $.25.00. B) What a deal I'm in costume heaven. If'n your interested in having me make you something let me know. It's my new homebased business. For one o' ur smiles I'm sure we can make a deal. (Don't tell the Cap'n) B)

:)

Ditto, Nyre. With the patterns & the sewing biz. I've got a couple orders already... I have a friend who has asked me to be a part of their new business (Historical Attire). So.. .it's suddenly full steam ahead! Hoping I can keep up!

I just adore the idea of the costuming now. & with the Sparrow-like pattern from Simplicity... & Butterick's Lady's gown/caraco outfit.... just fantastic!

So... giving my hand a go at this. We shall see how this works out.

B)

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 2 weeks later...

Capt. Grey,

I finally finished getting the coat together and I have to agree with you that yes it is a very hard pattern.

I was kinda dissapointed with the pattern, it really wasn't what I was expecting. I found the godets extremely hard to put in. Of course maybe it was the fabric I used. I used a denim weight cotton. Once I get the buttons on I will try to post pictures.

Men are like a deck of cards - You need a heart to love them, a diamond to marry them, a club to beat them and a spade to bury the bastards.

Did anyone else have issues with the sleeve width at the armhole? I've done two of these coats so far (one medium and one small) and for both of them, the circumference of the upper sleeve was much bigger than the armhole. I saw this early on and adjusted for it, but not having precise sleeve sizes is a real pain, particularly with set-in sleeves. I'm wondering if the patterns I picked up were from a faulty batch. I've been sewing for twenty-six years and have never seen a pattern this far off.

Also had to put light padding in the shoulders to give it some structure.

RHJMap.jpg

Ive had that vry same problem because im blending medium for my thin frame and large because im 6'3" and need the length but those sleves need to be altered and so do the armholes on the body of the coat.

ill be going to my mothers/seamstress' today to do some fiting on the coat and ill ask her how she got around it.

Mine should be done with in a week and a half ill post picturs when its finished

Ive had that vry same problem because im blending medium for my thin frame and large because im 6'3" and need the length but those sleves need to be altered and so do the armholes on the body of the coat.

If'n ye 'as a thin frame, yer should try the small size. I did an' it's still too big fer me. Oh well, I needs it big fer all the layers I'll be needin' ter wear under it. Vermont weather, y'know? :ph34r:

ps go up a size on the sleeves, fer they be shortish.

The small fits me pretty well - I'm 5'4" and reasonably slim. The sleeves were a tad short, but that was easy to adjust. Except for the sleeve width issue (and the labour-intensiveness of the trim) it was an easy coat to put together (compared with other coats I've done, it was a walk in the park.) However, if you were making it out of heavy material it could be a real challenge.

One thing that bugs me about costume patterns is the fit and finish. They expect that the costume will be worn once and probably in the dark so the details aren't always that great. For example, I had to sew bias tape over the raw edge left over from attaching the cuffs. That's something they should have included in the pattern instructions, but that's part of the lack of costume fit and finish...

RHJMap.jpg

I'm not the only one that noticed this? What a relief! Actually, I've noticed this in a lot of newer patterns; stuff just doesn't match up. Patterns I used twenty years ago were much more accurate than ones manufactured today. This is typical of most products, though - the first expense to go in a company is QA.

RHJMap.jpg

I cut the sleeves XL but the jacket L; however I didn't have any severe problems with the sleeves fitting in the armholes. :lol:

This may sound stupid to the experienced tailors, but the wide end of the sleeve is for the cuff attachment. And my cuff came out fine because the raw seam where it connects is folded over by the cuff and is essentially hidden.

Does this make sense? :lol:

(I would post pictures but my camera software died and I can't get pictures off my flashcard. GRRRR.)

hook_banner2.jpg

This may sound stupid to the experienced tailors, but the wide end of the sleeve is for the cuff attachment. And my cuff came out fine because the raw seam where it connects is folded over by the cuff and is essentially hidden.

I had the ends right - it's just that they were overall too large. I've run into this before. One pattern that I used to make a lot of shirts ended up being discontinued because the sleeves were off by almost two inches (I adjusted the sleeves - otherwise it was a good pattern.) My (figurative) hat's off to you if you had to deal with joining two different sizes. :)

I thought about leaving the raw edge, since it is pretty much covered over with the cuff, but I'm just anally-retentive that way. Kind of like making sure your toenails are presentable, even if you're not wearing open-toed shoes.

RHJMap.jpg

That's not "anal-retentive", it's attention to detail - which I sometimes lack if I'm in a hurry to finish something. B)

Thanks for the compliment, RHJill, but I still consider myself a "hack" when it comes to sewing. :)

hook_banner2.jpg

Ive done the same with the cuffs. this patterns problem is its a costue not period clothing so my cuff has been done 2 layer as to remove those nasty edges.

and as far as atention to detail goes ive spent about $175 of my hard earned booty on it already. Mostly on the trim for the cuffs and body opening and the flat braid for the fo-pockets and chest button hole area wich i did on both sides unlike the patern. there must be 15-18 yards of trim and braid on it.

But thats what happens when you want it just so.

still in finishing process i will have pictures within the next week.

Stynky's got a good point here., We'd all be enjoyin' some fotos' if'n ya gottem' . Everyone has probably chosen there own colors .,fabrics.,buttons ect.., to ave a look would be the fine way to finish me evenin' Rhum and all. Please do.,please do :huh:

:huh: HarborMaster :huh:

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

My photo is back on the third page of this thread. But since you're too lazy to go back at look at it ( :D ), here:

grey_frockcoat.jpg

I'd like to get a picture of me in the complete outfit, but my camera software just died and I can't get any pictures off the card. :D

hook_banner2.jpg

Thought I'd share with ye some pics of the coat that I am making from the "Jack Sparrow" Simplicity pattern:

coat.jpg

Close up of the cuff:

coatcuff.jpg

I made some changes to the pattern. For example, I embroidered the decorative "buttonholes" instead of using braid. And I used really heavyweight fusible interfacing to give the cuffs that really stiff look that I wanted. I think they turned out pretty good. I think it looks more authentic.

It's not quite finished so maybe I'll post some more pics when it's done.

Hope ye like it,

Broadside

Every normal person must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats! - Lucanus