New Simplicity pattern

So what are the problems people have been having with this pattern? I am almost finished with the one I'm making for Scott, and so far had no trouble with it at all.

The size Large fit him just fine, and all I had to do was add 2" to the bottom and sleeves. The sleeves fit in the sleeve holes perfectly the first time, which I was surprised about since I'd heard that folks were having trouble with that.

My only complaints about the pattern are that it doesn't have a lining (which I added), and that the godets aren't really period without proper pleats and an opening in the middle. However, it really turned out nice. Oh and also that the cuffs attach funny if you follow the directions.

I'll post pics when we get the buttons attached. Anybody going to the Buccaneer's Ball will get to see it in person!

For those of you who were not fortunate enough to attend the Buccaneer's Ball, you missed seeing a resplendent coat. And that dress was magnificent! You need to post some pictures!

RHJMap.jpg

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awww. *blush*

Thank you! I had a lot of fun making that stuff. I only wish I'd had more time to add trim to everything, but c'est la vie. Stuff like that is always a "work in progress", right? : )

Scott looked great in his coat, though. I hadn't seen the whole ensemble together until he changed mid-night and scared everybody with his wig! We've been together for three years now, and this is the first time I've ever seen him with hair. :blink:

The dress with panniers was a riot to dance in, and my first attempt at a saque dress. I've never worn hoops that big before! However, I now understand why noble ladies had servants. . . I would probably have been in the bathroom all night trying to get into the dress if it hadn't been for a very helpful mermaid who was extremely handy with corsets and pins.

No photos *yet*. I'm bringing my camera tonight, so hopefully I can post some soon.

What a terrific party; I only wish there were more occasions during the year to dress up for!

-Jennifer

"Let them eat cake. No wait, kill 'em all instead, and plunder the cake for yourself. Mmmmm, cake. . ."

• 3 weeks later...

Well, finally, here are some pics of the coat and gown . . . .haven't been doing much computing since I fell and have my arm in a cast! Just a dislocated thumb.

ScottJenn2004-1.jpg

Scott2004-1.jpg

Jenn2004-2.jpg

-Jennifer

"Let them eat cake. No wait, kill 'em all instead, and plunder the cake for yourself. Mmmmm, cake. . ."

your pics just don't do the work justice.

These are some of the finest costumes I've seen in a long time.

And the ship in your wig was...well... a ship in your wig! :lol:

great work :D

I agree! :D The ship in yer wig reminds me of a book wot I had when I were a wee thing. twas called "The Lady With A Ship On Her Head". Twas about a lady dressed like you in the picture, and she goes down to the beach to get sea shells fer a headdress fer a fancy dress ball and a ship sails onta her 'ead and she doesn't know it. ;) Tis quite amusin' really, but I don't remember who tis by. Anyway, great work anyway. I gots ta put up a pic of me coat that I sewed from the pattern, but I must warn ye, the work pales in comparison ta yers.

AkashaZuul, I be mighty saddened t'hear about yer accident. I hopes ye be mendin' well.

As fer yer costumes, you and yer mate look FANTASTIC! I tips me hat t'yer sewin' talent an' hope ye won some sort o'prize fer yer efforts. :lol:

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to the Pyracy Pub, and am only catching up with these topic threads... This past summer, my son decided he wanted to be a pirate for Hallowe'en (the kids have a July deadline to get their orders in, or they don't get anything new). Several Joann Fabrics stores in the area were having moving sales -- so I picked up the Simplicity Pirate pattern for $0.99 (along with about 30 other patterns at the same price) and $75 worth of Burgundy velveteen for about $30 (SCORE!).

The only problem I had with the pattern was scaling the adult pattern down to fit a kid. I have many years experience in costume making/design, however, and the whole thing turned out great IMHO. I used wodden buttons (purchased for $0.20 each at a Civil War Reenactment) to keep the price down... but still need to finish sewing the remaining buttons (I ran out of steam -- three costumes from scratch just about wiped me out).

People were almost angered that my son "wasted" his full pirate costume only for trick-or-treating, and did not enter a contest (although the family had three rounds of full-costumed laser tag on Halowe'en morning!). I have some photos of the costume, and when I find a way to hook my scanner back up to the computer, I will post them.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Matey, it weren't a waste if the lad enjoyed himself. I just don't know what gets into folks. :huh:

And get yer pictures up sos we kin sees them. :huh:

Me own cabin boys dress as Hogwarts students, but then we also go to the movie openings in costume as well as conventions; so they get a lot of use out o'their costumes.

Me youngest cabin boy were Ash from the Pokemon series this Halloween and I made his jacket. But it were only intended fer trick or treatin' anyway.

hook_banner2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I went out and bought a 6 foot cable so I could scan this photo. Here is the pic of my son at Hallowe'en, wearing his new pirate coat.

I have never tried to upload a photo before -- let's see if this works...

My Webpage

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

SORRY -- that did not work at all. Anyone have any tips on uploading a photograph from my computer WITHOUT trying to put it on an intermediate website?

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

The photo needs to be on a server to be viewed here. It can't be directly uploaded from your own computer.

Try to copy the address of the page the photo is on, then come to the forum and click on the Reply button. When the reply page comes up, click on the IMG button at the top, paste in the address and click OK. That should make the picture appear in the post.

Just a note, make sure the picture isn't HUGE or else it will make everything stretch to the right.

hook_banner2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have that Simplicity Pattern, and just finished putting the coat together. It's in gray wool I bought for a song at a local fabric warehouse.

(Those of you near New Jersey, if you are interested, I can send you an address...amazing stuff at like half the price!)

In wool, the coat came out very heavy, but it does have some nice swing to it. I was annoyed at the lack of lining too, but decided to skip cutting one for two reasons...1) to save on the weight (its already godawful heavy!) 2) to save on expense. (even cut rate fabric adds up when you need 6 yards!)

The sleeves were a bear, but I think it was more due to the weight of the fabric I used. I will use Cotton Duck or Canvas next time (then age it all with a spray of peroxide)

I am kind of sorry I didn't make real pockets right now, and may try to go backwards and install them. Suggestions?

I took all the trim I put on off, as I hated what I had. I am going to start over after the fact. Any suggestions for trim on a gray wool coat? I had black originally...its supposed to look more utilitarian than ornate.

Also, the weight of the gorget pleats in back is pulling the coat off my man's back... He wants to wear it open. Suggestions? (I threatened saftey pins secreted inside the shoulders)

X

Ahoy, Morgan.

How about leaving it untrimmed if it's supposed to be utilitarian.

I don't know what you can do to counter balance the back; maybe sew some small weights into the front or add those pockets like ye said. :huh:

hook_banner2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just finihsed my coat using this pattern and didn't have any trouble at all.

It actually went very smooth. ( A little instruction from Diosa..thank you)

I'll get some photo's up soon.

BLACK SKOT ---(BLACKIE)

"Quarter" Master

Pyrates of the Coast

"Permit me aboard and I'll be takin' over yer ship...

Don't permit me aboard and I'll still take over yer ship"

Is the coat a la Long John Silver as you mentioned? Would be VERY cool!

Love the idea though if we all got together at the Invasions... think of the characters!.. Jack Sparrow, Barbossa, Long John Silver, Captain Morgan... & whoever the bloody devil else will grace us with their presense.

Can't wait to see your coat, Black Skot!

:ph34r:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Oooo.. dashing! I like that look on ya. To qoute Barbossa.. "It suits ya..." :)

Fine coat ya got there, Black Scot. As well as the rest of ya. :lol:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

hmmm...very nice......umm coat I mean...(the rest ain't bad neither!.. wouldn't kick ya outa me bunk fer munching hardtack...did i write that out loud??) :lol::lol:

I too am embarking upon the quest o'this coat....bronze and black brocade, fitted fer a wench o'course.....making the cuffs and godets out of velveteen (might slit them fer comfort tho...) I appreciate all the hints given here...should make it a might easier.....wish me luck!

"Congratulations Madame, that's another town you've destroyed." William Shaw

I'm the "honest one" Jack Sparrow warned you about, honestly....Red Handed!