Getting tentage ready for PIP

callenish gunner

Silkie, did you ask the ship you are training on about some cast-off sails?

I have, and will be penning a letter to the captain today. However I doubt they will. The Kalmar Nykel is a non profit organization and scrape and try to keep EVERYTHING until all use is worn out of it.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just so there is no confusion about the info I am putting out...

I am directing my comments to those who are considering purchasing tents of substantial size, such as wall tents.

Yah, I kinda figured that, I wasn't arguing with your post, just pointing out a different view on it...

I sew, and can make my own tents, so for the price difference between cheap canvas and good quality "Sunforger, ect..."tent, I can make a new one if mine ever rots. For others this may not be an option, and purchasing a good quality tent may be thier best choice.

The more information avalible to someone thinking about purchasing a tent, the better and more informed they can be.

I"m looking at buying a small a frame tent from someone in the midwest. I need someothing small enough for my car but big enough for me and gear.

If you hear of anyone with an extra they want to sell or a shop, let me know by post or email!

thanks!

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

very good price, BO but does it have 2 doors and can you see what the exact size is? and if not too hard, a pic..

and thank you for looking!

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

• 1 month later...

After almost a year of putting this off an poking away at it now and then, I have finally finished my hand sewn tarp tent setup.

The below pictures are from the test setup that Jessica and I did tonight. We did not put in all the stakes or pull the tension as perfect as we would for a proper setup, so it is saging in these pics more than it would in actual use. It is roughly about 13 feet square, made from the heavy weight fustian available from Hamliton Dry Goods, sewn with the heavy hemp thread from Reconstructing History. The eyelets are all hand sewn. I've used rope loop through eyelets to hold the stakes. All the seams are flat-felled and about 3/4 inch wide. I even divided the lengths of canvas into two so it would appear to be made from period width canvas (just over two foot wide widths).

About 20 hours (give or take) went into sewing the seams, and about another 10 hours (give or take) went into the hand sewing the eyelets. These times were spread out over several weeks.

I made the pole segmented so it will fit in a smaller vehicle for easier transport. I used inch and a quarter dowel, and a eight inch long segment of one inch (inner diameter) pipe to join the two lengths of dowel. I also added a pin to the top of the pole to fit into an eyelet to better hold the canvas in place.

tent004.jpg

A close up of the pole

Another angled view

Side view

Michael_banner.jpg

Wow! That's really nice work. I like the shape and the look of it as well as the utility and ease of portability. Good show!

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Nice job!! Can't wait to give it a look over at Blackbeard's

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Apropos of nothing...

"Febr. 3 [1709]. ...'Twas very pleasant ashore among the green Piemento Trees, which cast a refreshing Smell. Our House was made by putting up a Sail round four of 'em, and covering it a-top with another Sail; so that Capt. [Thomas] Dover and I both thought it a very agreeable Seat, the Weather being neither too hot nor too cold." (Woodes Rogers, A Cruising Voyage Round the World, p. 74-5)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Apropos of nothing...

"Febr. 3 [1709]. ...'Twas very pleasant ashore among the green Piemento Trees, which cast a refreshing Smell. Our House was made by putting up a Sail round four of 'em, and covering it a-top with another Sail; so that Capt. [Thomas] Dover and I both thought it a very agreeable Seat, the Weather being neither too hot nor too cold." (Woodes Rogers, A Cruising Voyage Round the World, p. 74-5)

Apropos of nothing? Not at all, if you've seen my tent. Documentation that ashore sails were used to construct makeshift tents. Now find me one that says they propped up one end with an oar...

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Must agree... great find Mission!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Apropos of nothing? Not at all, if you've seen my tent. Documentation that ashore sails were used to construct makeshift tents. Now find me one that says they propped up one end with an oar...

Actually, from this account, the oars were in regular use when they landed as I've noted elsewhere...fishing, visiting other parts of the island looking for water/food, going back and forth to their other ships (they had three total at this point and careened them one at a time) and such-like. However, II'm only a third of the way through this and I'm taking up Dampier's account of his voyage in 1697 next, so I'll keep a weathered eye for other notes on shore accommodations since y'all are interested.

It was still apropos of nothing...we were talking about Michael's fine work. ;)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

Yes, I know that oars would still have been in regular use and the spares would have been lashed into place in the boats or kept in storage and not brought ashore and that it would have been easy just to cut down a small tree for poles and the arch but then I couldn't call my tent the "Oar House" could I? I may have to break down and use poles next year just to be more accurate.

On the other hand, if we are going with the shipwreck scenario where the boats have been lost then using salvaged oars and timber would be appropriate, yes? Just thinking out loud here...

3ff66f1f.jpg

Ship wreck scenario has been scratched for this year... too much work...too little time

Crewe of the Archangel

Aye it does have that, and it explains why different crews are stuck in the same location at the same time... along with civilians... but it needs time to get it right... something we have let slip away too quickly for this year... besides only a handful of folks really want to attempt this... most want to do straight demos, which is great... this scenario is "living" the demo so to speak, not just teaching a class... and just to clarify, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that....

Crewe of the Archangel

Yes, I know that oars would still have been in regular use and the spares would have been lashed into place in the boats or kept in storage and not brought ashore and that it would have been easy just to cut down a small tree for poles and the arch but then I couldn't call my tent the "Oar House" could I? I may have to break down and use poles next year just to be more accurate.

On the other hand, if we are going with the shipwreck scenario where the boats have been lost then using salvaged oars and timber would be appropriate, yes? Just thinking out loud here...

Now here we get into that same fuzzy area of what might have happened, even though there isn't (so far as I've seen, anyhow) a record of it. If you believe people were as infinitely creative and whimsical 300 years ago as they are today, someone, somewhere could very well have used an oar for a tent pole. (Based on the dozen or so period accounts I've read recently, I can definitely say some of the people were whimsical and/or creative, although not specifically (so far) in regard to tent poles.)

Still, if you want to be strict, it probably is a stretch. Just extrapolating from what little I know, I think it would be most likely that a castaway/maroon would do something like that as a temporary measure (temporary until he managed to create some sort of sea craft where the oar would be required or, in another scenario, to create a blade for chopping down a sapling).

OTOH, it seems to me that it's a great pun and it would be criminal to sacrifice a great pun simply to satisfy strict adherence to some perceived realism. (In this instance, 'realism' being being defined as using the limited number of examples we know of to govern all our actions.) As a first time attendee in 2007, I was absolutely delighted to see that one of my fellow re-enactors had such a fine, subtle sense of humor. That small thing makes you feel like these are the sort of people you want to hang out with for a long weekend and write web pages about. (I believe William can testify to my lack of assuredness that I was in the right place when the weekend started. It's small things like this that quickly convinced me otherwise.) It might even be the sort of thing that could convince others to go from being a spectator to a participant. You know?

Thank'e mate. Yes, we do have an eclectic collection of pyrates, don't we? Perhaps the oars shall stay. Perhaps I'll break them a little, wack off half a blade maybe, making them cast-offs.

3ff66f1f.jpg

Then we can call yer place the Old Oar House...hmmm

Crewe of the Archangel

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an interesting quote for tentage from Dampier's New Voyage Around the World, first published in 1697 (this book is just starting to get interesting). This part of the account is from 1682...

"We went from hence [the Isle of Aves] to the Isles Roca's, to careen the Sugar-prize, which the Isle of Aves was not a Place convenient for. Accordingly we haled close to one of the small Islands, and got our Guns ashore the first thing we did, and built a Brest-work on the Point, and planted all our Guns there, to hinder and enemy from coming to us while we lay on the Careen: Then we made a House, and cover'd it with our Sails, to put our Goods and Provisions in." (Dampier, p. 45)

Then we can call yer place the Old Oar House...hmmm

There's no Oar like an old Oar, so I'm told. Somethng about them being smoother and readily fitted to the hand....

3ff66f1f.jpg