Getting tentage ready for PIP

callenish gunner

That's a weed isn't it? Bamboo. At least it is in our yard. Can't keep the stuff from breeding like cockroaches over here. Plant one stalk and hundred grow in no time. Good stuff it is.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

""That's a weed isn't it? Bamboo. At least it is in our yard. Can't keep the stuff from breeding like cockroaches over here. Plant one stalk and hundred grow in no time. Good stuff it is.""

-- Hurricane

Yeah, it is a little intrusive, even here in NJ

Technically it is classified as a 'grass'.

It is really taking off in the market place too, I am seeing all sorts of things made of bamboo,

picked up a cutting board made of it for my son for Christmas and also know that flooring is being

made of bamboo also. It has come a long way from being a cheap fishing pole.

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

Futon matresses work very well if you have the room to transport them. A local furniture discount place has them for $65 and in either blue/white ticking, or an off-white canvas cover. I still use reconditioned army cots for long events, but still prefer the simple ground and bedroll camp for weekends.

Check in on some other forums related to historical re-enacting, you can usually find 'A'-tents reasonable from folks getting out of a hobby or moving up to a bigger lodge. I got my Civil War 'A' tent for $100 poles and all. Footprint is 9'X10'x7' tall. This was a really good deal, but there are other similar offrings all the time.

Frontier folk is one good site with a trading post thread, Historical Trekkers is another. Good luck all!

Bo

• 2 weeks later...
Futon matresses work very well if you have the room to transport them. A local furniture discount place has them for $65 and in either blue/white ticking, or an off-white canvas cover.

Love the futon mattress idea, wouldn't have to put the bed away during the day if we covered it right, still the room all this stuff takes up in the van is incredible. We were packed to the ceiling! I loved that the inflatable didn't take up much room, not to mention it was comfy.

there is electricity in the fort and they blow up really quick with a motor inflator (I know its not roughing it - I love living history but I'm a wimp when it comes to my back)

Keep us posted if anyone comes across great tent deals.

I'd love to get something that went up easier. The homemade construction is a lot of work.

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

I will post anything that comes in close to reasonable. I was in the "right place at the right time" when that deal came along, but there is a big turnover in the ACW period and people selling out at just about every event. Another one of my old runnin rougues is getting back into this and found an 8X10 wall tent for $150. No poles or ropes or stakes but... Damn! It is in very good shape too. If these deals are what you are looking for, I will keep my eyes open for them.

Bo

• 3 weeks later...

Niice...the price isn't bad either...thanks :huh:

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Nice price, but untreated 10oz cotton canvas will mildew in a flash. One hour in the car with a little humidity and you have a tent that looks like an Apaloosa. High maintenence in my previous experience. I have a wedge made of this and it really is a pain in the butt to keep clean of mold and mildew. I have to keep it hanging for several days at a time when I am using it. I store all my tents in those truck boxes like China-mart sells, but if I put that wedge in one it has to be COMPLETELY dry or everything will be ruined. Just a heads up from experience.

Bo

i made a fly from a heavy duty painters cloth, once i had attached the lines to it i set it up in the yard. i spayed the top of it with thompsons waterproofing, it took a day or so to dry. this was many years ago i still use it once a month. i do let it dry out if it get wet before folding it up for storage. spay early in the moring so it wont be too tacky by the time the bugs come out.

Treated canvas or sunforger is already prepared, (mildew and FIRE RETARDANT),and the cost/time it takes to do a tent the size of those on e-bay properly is going to be more than you would have spent on the treated stuff. It's your time/money, but these are the facts. Treating a small tent or piece of cloth is one thing, but those big wall tents are not at all easy to work with when it comes to spray treating them. The smell of that stuff will hang on for a full season too. I don't know about you all, but that stuff gives me a headache! (Thompson's Water seal)

Bo

I figure I'll post my "thoughts" on tents...... :lol:

The year befor last at PiP, inside the Fort, we watched as Jim's tarp (th' 'Oar House) and my sail/tarp both started to grow nice green mold befor our eyes.... But other than some slight discoloration, the mold all died off whan I dried the sail/tarp out in the sun.

I don't worry about it... I also don't waterproof my tarp... well other than pre-washing it in hot water to shrink the canvas (ask Silky why pre-shrinking a tarp is a good idea.... :lol: )

Anyway, to my way of thinking, I don't like the period methods of waterproofing canvas (wax or oil) for a tarp or tent, they add too much weight. Also, I'm using a sail, and I don't think they would have waterproofed them anyway.... So if it gets kinda funky (hey, I do dry it out the first opertunity) I just figure it adds more "flavor" to the sail/tarp...

I figure that tents "did" get grungy, you can try your best to keep (and pack ) them dry and avoid mold and mildue (so they don't rot), but they were used in dirty environments and just got looking that way....

Good thoughts there Patrick. No matter what one does in Key West, things mildew, mold and rot. Just ask the locals... it's just part of life in the tropics and I doubt pirates who never bathed and wore their clothes until they dropped off them would really worry about these things when they have more pressing matters at hand.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I would say that the originals were not made out of the commercial and genetically altered cotton we are being sold today for sure. Linen from flax, hemp or Egyptian cotton would have been used. All of these are less prone to mildew and mold. Ain't technology great !?! :lol:

Silkie, did you ask the ship you are training on about some cast-off sails?

Bo

The canvas they sell today is from commercial genetically altered hyrid strains of cotton. In the GAoP canvas was either from flax, hemp, or Egyptian cotton, all of which hold up much better than the commercial crap we get nowadays. But remember, those pyrates of old didn't play pyrate on the weekend and have a substantial investment in tents either. Some of us do and I like to make mine last as long as I can for the money spent. Simple wise economics folks. Buy cheap crap, or pay for the ggod stuff. Choices are great. Modern technology sucks.

Sorry about the repeat info, I accidentally submitted the first on before I was through.

Bo

Also, I'm using a sail, and I don't think they would have waterproofed them anyway.... So if it gets kinda funky (hey, I do dry it out the first opertunity)

I can vouch for that... although Pat's sail would have helped, he still got wet down at PiP :lol::lol:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Silkie, did you ask the ship you are training on about some cast-off sails?

Bo

Damn Bo, what a great idea, certainly worth a try asking!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Just so there is no confusion about the info I am putting out...

I am directing my comments to those who are considering purchasing tents of substantial size, such as wall tents. This is a major investment and I am only trying to keep some folks from making an expensive error and suffering buyers remorse. Those who are doing their own thing with smaller makeshift shelters have many other options of course.

My final comment on purchasing large A tents and wall tents:

Do yourselves a favor and go with a reputable dealer/ manufacturerer and get treated canvas or sunforger. You will be much happier.

Bo