Getting tentage ready for PIP

callenish gunner

Well here it is, about 90% finished. Still have some hemming to do at the bottom of the door flaps.

The temporary frame. Just to get things fitted and adjusted.

frame.jpg

Now with the canvas put on. Due to the fact the heavens were about to open up on me, I couldn't do much more than this right now.

tentcanvas.jpg

(The wind was blowing pretty good too.)

Here's a close up of the pole opening. I probably made it a bit to big but I can always sew a flap of sort to help keep out the rain.

cupoles.jpg

Now we can discuss and comment and ridicule :lol: if need be.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only problem that I see, is the temporary framework.... :lol:

Once you set it up using stronger poles, and steak it down, that wind wouldn't even bother the tent..... The cool part of using shier-poles, is if the ground is uneven, you can open or close them and adjust the tent ....

Yes the shier poles are the coolest. I plan on going up to my parents and cutting down a couple of smaller pines they have on their property. That will be a lot of fun. Also due to the rain and wind at the time I was inrush to just get the canvas on and snap a pic or 2. I was really surprise how well it held up, even with pvc pipe! :lol: Maybe if it stops raining here I'll try to set it up again and get better photos

damn I have to get cracking on this! I have not even started and it seems like there is alot to do

Nah its not to hard really. Just make sure your sewing machine can sew the canvas. I have a Singer and I needed to get the biggest needle for the machine in order to sew through the canvas. Check your manual for the info.

On to my question.

What diameter poles should I be looking for? I was thinking like a 2'' - 3'' thick for the ridge pole and something a bit smaller for the shier poles. What do you all suggest?

On to my question.

What diameter poles should I be looking for? I was thinking like a 2'' - 3'' thick for the ridge pole and something a bit smaller for the shier poles. What do you all suggest?

I once made a Geteld comparable in size to what you have there, and I used 1 1/2 inch poles.... The ridge pole was a 2 X 3 that I round off into an oval profile with a router.... So I think your on the right track for pole sizes.

I read of someone once using a length of narrow stairway bannister rail bought at Home Dept or somewhere like that as a ridge pole.... It was between 2 to 2 and half inches thick and a little wider....

Looks great man.

As a side note, I use denim needles for sewing canvas on the machine, and I seem to have pretty good luck with those.

Michael_banner.jpg

What diameter poles should I be looking for?

Because the tent is not to big, you can use 2x2s or something about that size. Using a jack plane, is a quick way to get the 2x2s rounded, and it's cheaper than buying stairway bannister rail.

If you are going to gather poles, I'd still suggest using a rounded 2x2 for the ridge-pole... It's kinda hard to find good straight poles otherwise...... For the shier-poles, using trimmed down trees looks nice and rustic..... (and is even cheaper than 2x2s.......)

• 1 month later...

I have a convertable wedgie I plan to bring... :P

Any ideas for chopping and reconstructing a ridge pole for the flight over?? :P

I've seen folks briing skis and crap on the plane... Think they'd get T'd off if I bring a two piece ridge pole??? ;)

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

hmmm I think William said there is either a Lowes or Home Depot there... better practice your square lashing Rats...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Understandable... I just hate to play the run-around game on vacation and hope for the best...When I should be able to bring the weathered and preped poles and tentage with me in one trip...

sig2.jpg

I made reservations and was planning on staying at a local B&B but I would rather be at the Fort. I have a wedge tent from my Civil War reenacting, is it close to what you will be setting up or would it be too far out of period to use here?

If I can make due with what I have I think I will cancel my hotel reservations... then I would have some extra $$$ to pick up a couple flintlocks from Callenish Gunner.

atent01.jpg

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

Perfect!

No different than I have!! Bring it!

1.) You'll have more fun staying at the event, with everyone.

2.) You'll be saving time from running to and from the hotel.

3.) And you'll save money to spend on boomers from Callendish!!

sig2.jpg

Rats.... they have some poles at the Fort that they let us use..... I figure that the Careening Camp being in the woods, we can get by running ridgelines to trees.... so that frees up poles for people staying inside the Fort....

If worse comes to worse, we can just go to the lumber yard and get some 2x2's....

Hey folks... I wanted to donate some stakes to last years event for the fort to keep, but lack of funds and tendonitis kept me from coming thru... my appologies. I have a friend living close enough to the fort that also has a vacation cabin right across the creek from me. To make this simple... do you all have enough stakes? If I can talk my friend into bringing them down, are they needed? I need to get back on the forge and tent stakes are great practice. Please advise.

Bo

I would be interested in buying about a dozen hand forged stakes if you're willing to make em'. I was just getting ready to order the 10" stakes through Jas Townsend. They sell them for $1.50 each for the 10" and $1.85 for 13".

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

Aye, I'm WILLING to make them... it is SHIPPING them that is a problem. By the time you get them to your door, they cost around $3 each! Easier and cheaper to go to a "rendevous" type event and purchase directly from a smithy on site. That is one of the things that kept me from shipping them last year. I just have an opportunity to send some down to PiP with my friend at no charge should there be need of them. Say... If the forge is going to be in operation though, perhaps some of you that are going could send some funds in care of Harry to purchase stock and convince the man who will be pounding on the anvil to make some for you... now there is a good idea! Dang, I still have a few working brain cells! More RUM oughta cure that! :rolleyes:

You may want to add Ties, or grommets.... In the next post, I'll explain how to set-up a tarp, and some ways of tying ropes to the tarp...

I love this thread. I feel more knowledgeable for having read it (not that I could probably go home and whip up a tent right now but . . .maybe!)

What happened to the part where Mister Hand was going to post some thoughts on adding ties to the tent? That's the part I need help with.

Thanks to everyone who posted pictures and diagrams - helps a visual learner like me out so very, very much!

Avast, ye scurvy dog!

Oh get around to it, he will.... give him a moment... <_<

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

If the blacksmith would let me know what he needs for tent stakes or any other small projects I can bring it down with me. I can probably pick up some round or square stock at a pretty good price at the same place I get my galvanized wire in bulk. I used to get 14ga wire for making maille in 200lb spools fairly cheap.

Jonathan Washbourne

In the next post, I'll explain how to set-up a tarp, and some ways of tying ropes to the tarp...

Hey.... I thought I already posted a link to that.......

I gotta do the drawing of this really cool trick on how to tie a rope to a tarp....(or re-post the link if I can find it...) kinda offa the bullet or rock inside the tarp and then tie it....... just 'cause I may Not have posted it....... dang... first thing to go is the........ uuuugh.... th' first thing to go is the............ eeeergh........ :lol: