Getting tentage ready for PIP

callenish gunner

Ben Franklin wrote a small treatise about them being far better than the younger ones.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, in a related note, new boats were sometimes thought to cause illness because the wood was more freshly cut and still had the scent of the tree, making the whole ship smell. It sort of goes along with the idea that "bad air" (sometimes called "mal"air...ia) caused fevers. So old wood was considered to be more healthy for sailors than new wood. (And I'll just leave that right there.)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Mission,

Sounds like a good point to me. I have allergies particularly to evergreens. When in a wood shop with pine I have symptoms in moments. I am sure I have other similar allergies. But I can see how people were "sick" and the air was "bad" with new wood.

That's a fascinating point! I may use that in me tome.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Mission,

Sounds like a good point to me. I have allergies particularly to evergreens. When in a wood shop with pine I have symptoms in moments. I am sure I have other similar allergies. But I can see how people were "sick" and the air was "bad" with new wood.

---- so odd to read this I was just thinking about this recently - I struggled with my voice horribly last year I felt fine but couldn't keep my voice Anyway recently things abou it I finally got to the bottom of what was wrong - we made the tent poles out of malaluca - WELL........turns out i'm allergic! DUH!! No wonder I kept loosing my voice and was snoring extra loud. So yes OLD tree's are better. I think we'll use dry bamboo this year.

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

After attending two events and staying in a hotel both times, Edward and I have decided to take the plunge. :( We'll have a 10 x 14 sunforger flame wall tent. As much as we wanted to make one, with so many other projects in the works, we just don't have the time to do it right. We are planning on dressing it up some with hemp rope and redoing the eyelets. A fair compromise.

ps. Edward snores and I don't just talk in my sleep, I swear like a sailor. :ph34r:

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

• 2 weeks later...

sure...up north here (midwest really)...tentage can come in handy...tornados and thunderstorms for example(port washington 2 years in a row).....

but as i recall...down in PiP....the weather was so nice...we usually slept under the stars....i just threw a leanto over me hammock....i guess Mr.Hand did the same...but he wouldnt know that cause he never got out ofhis hammock long enough to come down the beach and see us(HMMMPF)

i think some slept on the beach(tho any cute single lass looking to sleep UNDER the beach...please contact me brother or i).....also some slept in the bushes...and i think i even fell asleep(passed out) around the camp fire...on top of the coral...with a full ceilidgh going on around me....

so...tents are good...for most events...but at PiP....ehh? :lol:

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

.i guess Mr.Hand did the same...but he wouldnt know that cause he never got out ofhis hammock long enough to come down the beach and see us(HMMMPF)

Thar be two reasons fer that....

One.... sleepin' under a tarp (it did rain one night) in a hammock in Key West is somethin' not to be missed....

Two.... M.A.d'Dogge; ye wern't wearin' yer pretty party dress at th' time :angry:

Very interesting indeed. Good find! A few of them look like tent origami. :lol:

If weather permits me to stay out doors for PiP, I may procure canvas and the proper hardware for a tent. Not sure I'd go for a fancy configuration...probably just a standard shape.

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

• 3 months later...

resurrecting this topic!

we will be traveling by plane and with the limited baggage situation, we are curious to know if we can build a tent from canvas and rope that there will be someone down at PiP to help us construct it?

In addition, how is everyone else getting their garb and such down?

"It is more like I am transitioning from a pirate hobby to the pirate lifestyle"- me

pub_footer.jpg

It is best to wash a tarp before use. It shrinks the fabric making it tighter and removes any "finish" that might cause it not to be absorbent. That's right, the ability to absorb water is what makes a natural fiber tent work. Once the fabric absorbs water and swells, no more water can come through. So by buying a tarp in KW and not washing it you do run a risk of not being entirely waterproof. All that being said, what the hell, a little damp never hurt anyone. I'm pretty good with rope and tarps so we'll figure out something. As Alex Trebeck used to say, "Come on Down!"

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

In addition, how is everyone else getting their garb and such down?

Some of us drive crewe gear down... others ship things directly to Harry at the fort. The last I HEARD was only one bag per person on the flights in.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

I'm not sure what would be PC for tents that could poke through the coral. And believe me it can be a b***** to get staked.

Maybe wood stakes? MAybe?

Ack wooden stakes might prove useless down there... I had to double stake (iron) with the coral in order for some to hold... and they were a nightmare to drive into the ground...in some cases I think the wood would just split...

Crewe of the Archangel

Anything better than basic iron tent stakes for the coral down there?

Hard tack.

On one of the week long canoe trips I made years ago, we used rocks. Many of the islands we camped on were basically rock, so you couldn't drive stakes. Plus it reduced the amount of weight when you had to portage, because you didn't carry the rocks with you, you found them at the campsites. (This presumes there are enough decent-sized rocks laying around. Unfortunately, I don't recall this specifically being the case at Fort Taylor. And coral is too light to do the job. Still you could bring your own if you're driving.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Hard tack.

Hmmm Mission ye might have something here.... and no, I am not transporting rocks....

Crewe of the Archangel

if the top inch or so is loose, would something like a snow stake work? no idea what it looks like down there.

It looks like this:

coral.jpg

(My feeeet!)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG