Getting tentage ready for PIP

callenish gunner

Animal... You're on watch... keep Dogge away from our hams or no rations for you... he seems to have a ham fixation....

no....just a "country ham" fixation....grew up on good ole fashion salt pork and biscuits....now i live in D-troit...cant find any...an ole callenish had some down in North Carolina...and wouldnt share...just teased me with it.... :lol:

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no....just a "country ham" fixation....grew up on good ole fashion salt pork and biscuits....now i live in D-troit...cant find any...an ole callenish had some down in North Carolina...and wouldnt share...just teased me with it.... :(

Hmm..... landlocked.....snow.... no southern munchies....what the heck are you doing in Detroit again????

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

we have snow now...but we have the ham

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

We have the ham too, but we're don't call it 'country' here because we're already in the country. Just ham. No snow... ever.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

gotta be specific up this away....an no one up here knows what the hell a real ham should taste like???...what is salt pork????....they think sweet tea is iced tea with sugar in it....and i just git a dumb look whenever i order biscuits and gravey....and ask for the biscuit to be seperate on the side....they always put em under the gravey....How the heck you supposed to sop up the gravey if its already under there????... i ask you?!?!

but they do have Hani's and coney islands.....and poonshki day....thats how its said not spelled!?!....which is a polish prune filled donut...made with real butter...eaten on fat tuesday....my first time i ate 6....

wasnt til later that day i found out there is anywhere from 1500 to 3500 calories per donut...depending on the filling!??!?!!

i think i ate my weeekly calorie intake in one sitting!?!?... :(

gotta be specific up this away....an no one up here knows what the hell a real ham should taste like???...what is salt pork????....they think sweet tea is iced tea with sugar in it....and i just git a dumb look whenever i order biscuits and gravey....and ask for the biscuit to be seperate on the side....they always put em under the gravey....How the heck you supposed to sop up the gravey if its already under there????... i ask you?!?!

but they do have Hani's and coney islands.....and poonshki day....thats how its said not spelled!?!....which is a polish prune filled donut...made with real butter...eaten on fat tuesday....my first time i ate 6....

wasnt til later that day i found out there is anywhere from 1500 to 3500 calories per donut...depending on the filling!??!?!!

i think i ate my weeekly calorie intake in one sitting!?!?... :(

So, are you saying we need some grits at PIP? I would LOVE to do biscuits and gravy, but there are a few complications doing those down there.... Although I may mull it over....I may even be able to deliver them with a little bit o' southern drawl...

Diosa

Edited by Goddess in the Bodice

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............biscuts and gravy!!!!!!!! With hammmmmm..........mmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........

***Animal gets his drool bucket so as not to get it on the keyboard***

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

So, are you saying we need some grits at PIP? I would LOVE to do biscuits and gravy, but there are a few complications doing those down there.... Although I may mull it over....I may even be able to deliver them with a little bit o' southern drawl...

Diosa

sorry luv...cant do grits....born and raised in the great ocean feilds of corn....had my litteral fill of them...i can do about 2 ears of sweet corn a year...then my body goes into to fits......

but biscuits & gravey?...from homade sausage...homemade biscuits???....mmmmmmm....but right now i will be satisfied if i can git some country ham and biscuits......

course i have noticed that ole callenish has been remarkably silent thru these posts... :blink:

Diosa

sorry luv...cant do grits....born and raised in the great ocean feilds of corn....had my litteral fill of them...i can do about 2 ears of sweet corn a year...then my body goes into to fits......

but biscuits & gravey?...from homade sausage...homemade biscuits???....mmmmmmm....but right now i will be satisfied if i can git some country ham and biscuits......

course i have noticed that ole callenish has been remarkably silent thru these posts... :blink:

Well Dogge, no promises... but if I can find a little time in the next week (as we leave for PIP the day after thanksgiving) I will try to figure out biscuits and gravy over a fire.... Here's where you should mentally be pulling for all my clients to be happy with my first drafts of everything over the next week... :) Less stress from them means more time for me to experiment....

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Gravy over a fire's no big thing if you have a skillet to cook the sausage to begin with (I'm assuming sausage gravy, right?). Biscuits can be done in two ways: reflector oven (don't know if that is PC) or "biscuits on a stick" where you wrap biscuit dough around a green stick or a cutlass and turn often.

Actually I think a rapier would work better than a cutlass.

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Gravy over a fire's no big thing if you have a skillet to cook the sausage to begin with (I'm assuming sausage gravy, right?). Biscuits can be done in two ways: reflector oven (don't know if that is PC) or "biscuits on a stick" where you wrap biscuit dough around a green stick or a cutlass and turn often.

I actually found some dutch oven instructions for the biscuits I am going to try... this could be a yummy experiment :)

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

I actually found some dutch oven instructions for the biscuits I am going to try... this could be a yummy experiment :)

actually if ya put a small pie pan...on top of a trivit...inside the dutch oven...then they'll not burn on the bottom

actually if ya put a small pie pan...on top of a trivit...inside the dutch oven...then they'll not burn on the bottom

Hmm... maybe if this works the winner of Walk the Plank will get biscuits and gravy..... Ready to defend your title dogge?? :)

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Doh! I forgot about dutch ovens! Just goes to show I've been camping "light" in the last few years. You are right, of course, as is Maddogge's suggestion to raise 'em up off the bottom.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Sounds like the beginnings of a Buccaneer Camp Fire Cookoff!

...and we could be the taste testers! I could say that's both a blessing and a curse,

but I hear alot of good things about this crewe's cooking. :P

Tying back to tentage, if anyone's still looking for that comfy cot to put space between themselves

and the shells, Walmart has one in a handy blue carrying case for $33.80. I plan on using mine

along with a sleeping bag and a few blankets (one being a lended period accurate one to hide

the modern stuff - thanks Callenish!).

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

HELP!

I am stakeless! I am looking for tent stakes and can't find any in the area. i never thought it would be this tough to find someone local! I wanted to use rebarb but I don't have a way to point or bend it. What sort of business would ...maybe I can find someone in the area to help for a small price or barter.

Silkie... you don't have to add points to re-bar, bending it makes it work a little better (well it helps keeping people dumb enough to step on it from cutting their feet on the ends... but we be Pyrates, so we got 'nough sense to avoid that...)

Just get a hacksaw... cut the re-bar into about 12" lengths. (if your still worried about the steaks having points... then just cut the re-bar at an angle...)... pound it into the coral... and tie your line/rope to that... the bumps will help hold your line/rope....

Take a nice deep breath an' then a swig A' rum... everything will work out.......

For Burning Man this year, I had 18" steaks that were bent candy cane like...(they gots a lot of idiots at BM wot step on tent steaks...) Hey... my tent wern't going no-where in those hight winds...... but fer PiP.... you don't need that much....

• 1 month later...

Question folks on tent poles...I've recently bought a wedge tent that I'll use for a few reenactments prior to 09's PiP, and a friend told me what sort of wood NOT to get poles made from, and I'm embarrassed to say I've forgotten what he said. :rolleyes: What types of wood would work best, and not warp in the humidity and such?

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

Question folks on tent poles...I've recently bought a wedge tent that I'll use for a few reenactments prior to 09's PiP, and a friend told me what sort of wood NOT to get poles made from, and I'm embarrassed to say I've forgotten what he said. :rolleyes: What types of wood would work best, and not warp in the humidity and such?

Good old 2x4's from the lumber yard ripped to half thickness and cut to length work fine. I started doing civil war 15 yrs ago in the panhandle and am still using some of the same poles on my wall tent. If you like a more authentic appearance oak or pine saplings that are straight and tall work great as well.

Self Promoter Jim

Pirate Gear oldsutlerjohn.biz

American Civil War oldsutlerjohn.net