What are you reading right now ?

Patrick Hand

the complete book of leather crafting...garnes { skimmed -- for the count to read}

patterns for theatrical costumes, garments, trims and accessories, from ancient to 1915.... holkeboer { free patterns for manutas and justacorps and eveything else-- learned a NEW way to graph out and make patterns using radius/radial lines!! CHECK IT OUT!!---and making it easer to convert other clothing to accurate historical use....

forgiveness a philosophical exploration...griswold .... a bit grinding/serious mental munching as the footnotes on some pages are more than the actual text.. but well researched--from plato to sophocles to aristotle.. not sure if they have augustine quoted yet.... only on page 74--or is it page 47?--does NOT deal with "political/politics" forgiveneness and its meaning { that would be another whole book!!}

pirate bob...lasky { ok this is for the kids--- this one and about 20 others, lots of books about bunnies and bunny stories as the 4 year old in into bunnies--feed the reading craving!}

how to get a hold of your family... rev run { yes from run from dmc hip hop in the 80's}[no--aint seen the reality tv show in cable/satellite tv} (actually read in one night.. pretty good--dont take no crap from your kids, remove from them anythign that causes them to feel entitled to YOUR money for their fripperies}

this is this weeks reading.......

lady constance

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forbes...I'm an avid reader.

Trying to stay on top of the piracy on Wall St.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

• 2 months later...

I'm reading Edward Cooke's A Voyage to the South Sea and Round the World in the Years 1708 to 1711 which is another account of Woodes Rogers' privateering voyage. It contains loads of material on the Incas culled from other sources.

I'm also trudging through Woodall's The Surgions Mate ever so slowly as I enter the book in just about its entirety into my notes. I have learned to read it despite all the odd typesetting and it is a very thorough and interesting book once you can comprehend it.

Plus, just for fun, I'm reading Love, Life, Goethe: Lessons of the Imagination from the Great German Poet by John Armstrong. It is a very interesting book. Please note that I am not reading Goethe's poetry as I still have no use for poetry in the main. However, Goethe's life and philosophy are both quite fascinating when stated in prose.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Robinson Crusoe is a great book for success lessons. I actually thought about putting a training together using it as a basis. (My book contains all sorts of sections highlighted in different colors in preparation for the training.) I finally abandoned it as being too intricate and gimmicky while really not adding much that was more instructive than the concepts themselves.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

A history of Pirates Blood and Thunder on the High Seas by Nigel Cawthorne.

Kind of a scattershot approach, not chronological but informative. read that just before PiP.

Just started The Sea Rovers Practice Pirate Tactics and Techniques, 1630-1730 Benerson Little

4 chapters in so far.......very informative

Self Promoter Jim

Pirate Gear oldsutlerjohn.biz

American Civil War oldsutlerjohn.net

Lost Tomb by David Gibbons I love a good adventure story.

I may re-read the Wilbur Smith 3 part pirate series Birds of Prey,Monsoon and Blue horizon. I haven't read them in a few years.

ERIS

Welcome to my nightmare....

I have embraced my inner magpie. OOH SHINY!!

John Steinbeck's Travels with Charley... I think it's the only Steinbeck that I haven't read yet....

and

LXG (league of Extraordinary Gentlemen).... hideously terrible... i should just chuck it out.... but it is "just barely" well enough written that as long as it doesn't get any worse, I might finish it..... Hey, they were out of any Terry Prachet at the used book store.....

Well and...

Buccaneers Of America but it doesn't count, because I'm taking notes as I read it......

Capt. HOOK: The Adventures of a Notorious Youth. I didn't expect this book to bee this good. It's totaly kick ass!!!! I'm craving the sequal, and I'm not even compleatly done with this one yet.

To be happy for a night - get drunk

To be happy for a month - get married

to be happy for the rest of your life - get a sail boat

Buccaneers Of America but it doesn't count, because I'm taking notes as I read it......

Except for really bad fiction, which I rarely read any more, I always take notes on the things I read. Even when I decide not to, I tend to pencil notes into the margins and bracket stuff for easier later retrieval. I have many notebooks filled with random notes on the stuff I've read. (And the surgeon's notes I'm typing into my laptop are currently 460 pages long...)

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Just started The Sea Rovers Practice Pirate Tactics and Techniques, 1630-1730 Benerson Little

4 chapters in so far.......very informative

That does look very interesting! I may have to get me a copy of it...

[edit] In fact, I did. Thanks for the heads up Jon! ;)

I'm reading book 6 of the Harry Potter series, as this Johnnie come lately is determined to finish the series before he dives into the book he got for X-mas.

Gasp! You mean Kate didn't make you read those before now? That's actually pretty good fiction - I read the last book in one sitting!

Edited by Raphael Misson

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

I'm reading book 6 of the Harry Potter series, as this Johnnie come lately is determined to finish the series before he dives into the book he got for X-mas.

Gasp! You mean Kate didn't make you read those before now? That's actually pretty good fiction - I read the last book in one sitting!

Oh, she's been on my back to read those.... For about two years.... In that time I've picked up one here and there and plowed through them. Of course it took me until the 4th book to get truly hooked, and now I am whipping through them (as much as time allows).

Michael_banner.jpg

I'm in reading limbo, and have been for awhile. I just can't seem to finish any fiction that I pick up these days. The only things I've been able to read are moderate amounts of history, and philosophy.

Maybe I need to re-read something? I should give The Mote in God's Eye a shot at re-read.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Since I tend to read two and three books at a time, I just finished up two.

Galileo's Daughter by Dava Sobel. The title is deceiving, as the book is more about Galileo than his daughter, but intersperses into the narrative translations of letters she wrote to him from the convent where she spent her life from the time she was 14. Very good book.

Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz. I don't really like Dean Koontz, as his books are too creepy for me, but Odd Thomas was recommended by a friend who knew my feelings, but thought I would like this anyway. She was right. It is an excellent read.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I just started reading World War Z. Which is a what if book about zombie wars and such... Kinda reminds me of when I was a young skate-punk watching the good old Romero movies.... Those were the days!!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

I just started reading World War Z. Which is a what if book about zombie wars and such... Kinda reminds me of when I was a young skate-punk watching the good old Romero movies.... Those were the days!!

Is that the one written by Mel Brooks' son?

My Home on the Web

The Mote in God's Eye

I like reading Parnell and Niven, but I just couldn't get into that one..... maybe I should give it another try......

Give it another try. It takes some time to build up, but I think it's worth it. There are some very vivid scenes in the last half of that book. In later years I discovered the ship was based on one of my favorite models... the Leif Ericson, aka the UFO Mystery Ship!

http://frank.bol.ucla.edu/le.html

ps - Pournelle

My Home on the Web

I recommend reading Tales of Beetle the Bard too, when you get the chance. It's a quick read.

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...