What are you reading right now ?

Patrick Hand

I'm reading book 6 of the Harry Potter series,

Yeah, but you know

someone

dies at the end.....

Hey... I didn't give anything away... someone told me what happened before I finished the book, and that kinda sucked.....

I'm just being a brat here...... besides , Michael ain't going to look and see wots under the Spoiler..... :o

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know of a good period story between 1700 and 1800 that takes place in Jamaica?

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Anyone know of a good period story between 1700 and 1800 that takes place in Jamaica?

If no one answers this, you might PM hurricane. He knows a lot about Jamaica.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Taking a break from piratical reading right now (besides I've read everything I currently have) and am re-reading "Across The Wide Missouri" by Bernard DeVoto. It covers the history of the fur trade in America. Alot about the early pioneers and mountain men, heavy emphasis on the mountain men. I love early history. Next aquisition will be Little's book on buccaneers.

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

• 2 weeks later...

asides my course materals of physics, chemistry, and calculus...th emammoth book of pirates to be closely followed by pirates pact or patriotic pirates

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

Borderlords : Terry C. Johnston (deceased) Series of stories on the fur trade. It's written in a fiction style but uses some historical characters of the period who blazed the way from the east coast to the west coast. Also have been reading Across The Wide Missouri. This book is a historical documentation of the era.

Animal

Edited by Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

Right now i'm bouncing around between studing for my Air Warfare qualification (Navy stuff) :P , Blood and Thunder on the High Seas, and At the Mountians of Madness

To be happy for a night - get drunk

To be happy for a month - get married

to be happy for the rest of your life - get a sail boat

Well now, I be right glad you ask that. Cuz at this very moment, I have dived into "King of the Pirates: The Swashbuckling Life of Henry Every", a famous pyrate who is lacking in the modern biography department. Author is E.T. Fox, curator of the Golden Hind Museum Ship, who should know summat of what he writes, despite being a Brit, belike. Just placed on order is Terry Breverton's "Admiral Henry Morgan"

Damn, thats sharp!

taking a break from calculus, and diving into pirates pact it is reather odd to be reading two books at once that tackle the same subject almost to a fact

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

• 2 weeks later...
The Best of H. P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre

I love HPL!!! Now that I am done and through with the Potter books forever... I might pick up my copy of the "Dream Quest of the Unknown Kadath" and give that another once over before tackling some more history books.

Michael_banner.jpg

Mary, let me know how you liked it. I read it last year, and liked it, up until the last maybe quarter of the book. Then it kinda bogged down. :unsure:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Mary, let me know how you liked it. I read it last year, and liked it, up until the last maybe quarter of the book. Then it kinda bogged down. :(

:unsure:

I loved it when I first read it, just before I got sucked into Pyracy. This is actually my second read, and I still love it. I was just on Amazon the other day, to locate the next book in the series.

But, to be fair, I have always loved Stephenson. Brain candy for me.

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

Hmmm, maybe I'll have to give it another try. It was recommended to me by a very dear friend who is a history professor at the Univ. of Mississippi. He's read the complete series, and enjoyed them immensely.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Quicksilver, The Baroque Cycle - 1

by Neal Stephenson

I've always wanted to try those. But I couldn't get the first in hardback, and the paperback had a really stupid cover with a cutout in it... yeah, I know, it seems like an odd reason to not read a book... but with all the books available to read, one must pick and choose.

Currently, I'm "reading" Mongoose Publishing's version of the classic Scifi rpg Traveller. They did an amazing job of improving upon one of the best rpgs ever made. As I read it I can't help but think how great it would be to turn into a historical piracy rpg.

And... I've been thinking about either rereading the scifi classic The Mote in God's Eye, or possibly reading a scifi classic I haven't read, such as Stranger in a Strange Land, or Forever War, etc.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Foucault's Pendulum - Umberto Eco

I read it once in my late 20's, thought I might give it another read. I remember liking...back then it sparked my interest and a bit of study in Kabbalah, simply so I could better understand the book.

Its been a long time since I read it but if I remember correctly its.. the knights templar, physics, mathematics, secrets, stone henge, the pyramids, the church, alchemy and atomic energy... don't you just LOVE sci-fi that draws on history and conspiracy theories?

Edited by RustyNell

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

And... I've been thinking about either rereading the scifi classic The Mote in God's Eye, or possibly reading a scifi classic I haven't read, such as Stranger in a Strange Land, or Forever War, etc.

Ah, Stranger in a Strange Land. Number 3 or 4 on my top five favorite books list. Get the unabridged version if you can find it. It contains a few scenes the make a great book excellent.

I once read some, if not all, of Foucault's Pendulum. I found it quite frustrating to read, Although it's been quite a long time, I seem to remember not being quite able to follow the logic of his narrative. It seems to me that he wandered off on tangents that made the story rather diffuse. (Which kind of reminds me of the Rings trilogy, although I'm not sure that's an apt comparison.)

Edited by Caraccioli

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Ah, Stranger in a Strange Land. Number 3 or 4 on my top five favorite books list. Get the unabridged version if you can find it. It contains a few scenes the make a great book excellent.

I once read some, if not all, of Foucault's Pendulum. I found it quite frustrating to read, Although it's been quite a long time, I seem to remember not being quite able to follow the logic of his narrative. It seems to me that he wandered off on tangents that made the story rather diffuse. (Which kind of reminds me of the Rings trilogy, although I'm not sure that's an apt comparison.)

I agree, the unabridged version of Stranger in a Strange Land. When I read the edited version I found it a bit confusing-- Important things had been cut out.

Have you ever read Gateway? Excellent book! Don't read ahead, the last line will blow your mind.

highres_6845035.jpeg

Craig Browne

Captain

Half Moon Marauders