What are you reading right now ?

Patrick Hand

Currently reading "The Blackbirder" by James T. Nelson.

Loved that series! Very entertaining read, and while not perfect on some of the details, it did a good job and got more correct than not. Probably the best balance of period correct and entertainment I have seen in a novel so far.

Currently, I am bouncing back and forth between a book on Sailing (sorry I forgot the title and author) and reading some graphic novels...

Michael_banner.jpg

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently reading:

The Dark Volume by Gordon Dahlquist. It's my first attempt at a Steampunk themed novel — airship disaster, murder, spies, diabolical conspiracies, etc. I'm about 50 pages in, and so far the verdict is still out. :o

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

ASTM International Standard E 2189-02, Standard Test method for Testing Resistance to Fogging in Insulating Glass Units. Fascinating and heady stuff, this. You should all procure a copy for your home libraries post haste.

Edited by Raphael Misson

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Having foresworn beginning to re-read Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series for the fifth time until next April, I naturally became obsessive about another author. I have been tearing through anything by Neil Gaiman that I can get through the library. I've read American Gods, Ananzi Boys, Good Omens, Stardust, Neverwhere, Coraline, and M is for Magic so far this summer. I haven't been able to get any of his graphic novels through the library, and I can't afford to buy them, so I know that I'm missing out on some of his best stuff. I'll have to try inter-library loan for those, I guess.

I actually met Neil about 10 years ago, before I had any idea who he was. His American home is near here, in Western Wisconsin, and he's a friend of a very good friend of mine who lives in the same town. I went to see a play that my friend was directing, and met up after the show. I was introduced to the other friends hanging about backstage. "This is Neil Gaiman. You know, the writer." "Oh, yeah," I said. "Sandbox or something like that, right?" "Yeah, something like that" replied Neil with a little chuckle. I like to think that it was refreshing for him to meet someone who didn't go all glassy-eyed. But he's very friendly, doesn't act the celebrity in the least, unless you count wearing sunglasses at night.

Edited by Sjöröveren

I'm beginning to read some history on Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestown. Some interesting reading online.

Animal

Animal quit looking at just the pictures! *laughs*

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

You might want to pick up some of the Jamestown Rediscovery booklets...and they got lots of photos...*and* juicy murders...

I'm beginning to read some history on Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestown. Some interesting reading online.

Animal

Damn, thats sharp!

Animal

Animal quit looking at just the pictures! *laughs*

But they are so much more informational. Then words and stuff are cornfusing!!! :D

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

Can't go wrong with Galen...he earned his stripes patching up gladiators...as a point of interest, the SPQR mystery series has a fictional "Galen-type" as a recurring character...

Galen on Bloodletting by Peter Brain.

Damn, thats sharp!

Can't go wrong with Galen...he earned his stripes patching up gladiators...as a point of interest, the SPQR mystery series has a fictional "Galen-type" as a recurring character...

Galen is pretty fiesty! He goes after this other surgeon Erasistratus's theories with the gloves off. (None of which is useful to me, but it's sort of entertaining.) Of course, I have found the same thing in many of the period books, especially as it relates to disease theory and certain treatments. These guys would argue with each other using their books as weapons. All of which tells me I chose an excellent character to portray.

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

It usually takes me weeks to finish a book (partially because I read several at once), but I finished the last Harry Potter book in one sitting.

Just finished Martin Cruz Smith's Stalin's Ghost and just started Michael Jeck's The Last Templar.

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

• 2 weeks later...

Currently:

Sailing Alone Around the World by Captain Joshua Slocum

Left Boston in 1898 in a 27' Yawl, and was the first solo sail around the world. I'm about 50 pages in, and it's fascinating — one instance he recalls getting sick on plums and cheese, and ended up halucinating that a member of Columbas's crew from the Pinta was at the helm of his boat.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

If you can find it, I HIGHLY recommend "My Old Man and the Sea" by Daniel and David Hays. It's the story - in journal form - of the first Americans to sail around Cape Horn in a boat smaller than 30' - and they did it without a motor or electronic navigational equipment (sextant and compass only.) It's an amazing book!

RHJMap.jpg

Did you actually finish that Steven King book in just a few days? If so, my hat's off to you sir! I can't think of the last book I was able to finish in just a few days, let alone months.

Mon-Thur I usually read at least 100 pages a day.

This is what I'm currently reading.

Qffsv35leqiaaxtviJRhgCRDB3HCqdEnnoE.jpg

As we say in Ireland let's drink until the alcohol in our system destroys our liver and kills us.

guns_boobies2.jpg

The Man Who Found the Missing Link — Eugene Dubois and His Lifelong Quest to Prove Darwin Right...by Pat Shipman

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Mon-Thur I usually read at least 100 pages a day.

I used to be able to do that before I had a wife, and kids. Now, my reading time is relegated to my lunch hour during work. So I'm lucky to get 100 pages in a workweek. But it's a matter of choice. Instead of clicking keys right now, I could be reading.

This is what I'm currently reading.

Qffsv35leqiaaxtviJRhgCRDB3HCqdEnnoE.jpg

Looks fairly interesting. Any good?

With September approaching, I'm very tempted to dive into some Tolkien. There was a phase I went through some years ago when I would read LotR every year.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.