The Great Loose Weight Thread

blackjohn

I'm 21 and 240 lbs at 5' 11'' so I'm not in the best shape of me life. I definitely will join in on this.

I work in a kitchen so I might start wearing pants/sweatpants, because on good days it gets up to mid to high 90s or so, so that'll help shed some pounds while I work.

I was planning on waking up a 530 every morning since I have to be at work by 7, but as I am having trouble now getting up that early because I can't get to sleep at night, I've decided to doing my PT after work from 3-5 before dinner.

I will run 2-3 miles a day, do some free weights and some sit-ups, push-ups and pull-ups in 3 sets of 20/20/5 reps. Once I get into a regular routine I shall add some swimming into the mix. Lord knows I lack the motivation to do this so instead of putting off what I would normally start Monday, I did it today already.

It's time for a change methinks. Ta! :D

"I'm no fencing master, but I had some schoolin' in the art of cold steel"

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's your plan, mate. I'll offer you some advice and do with it what you will (don't we ALL do that, anyways?)

Wake up and do some exercise within 15 minutes of rising. Whether you do a quick run (keep your clothes and shoes handy so you wake up, get dressed and are out the door) or you decide to do your bodyweight exercises (pushups, situps, etc.). Your body is more receptive to exercise in the morning to burn fat. Plus, when you run in the morning, you'll feel energized for the better part of the day. Once you're done running or exercising, eat again within 15 minutes while your metabolic rate is still high. This will help you burn more calories of the food you are eating as well as replenishing whatever nutrients your body used up during the night sleeping, as well as your just-completed exercise session.

You can still do more, later.

Best of luck!

Drunken_Parrot_Bar_Sign.jpg

You will be flogged. And God willing, come morning, you will be flogged some more.

Sorry to hear about the back problems, Asukaru. I hate setbacks too. I strained my back coughing once, when I had mononucleosis 15 years ago. Ouch! I hope you still aren't coughing!

I wish what happened to me was as simple as a back strain. I've had that happen once or twice and while they suck, they weren't as painful as this. According to the Doctor I had a pinched nerve so fun times there :huh:

However I'm doing much better now. In fact, I'm allowed to start doing cardio next week, and some minor weights as long as it doesn't involve the back much.

I can't believe I'm about to say this.... but I'm really really glad to be going back to the gym. My weight soared this past week. Gah! :lol:

Matt, that's incredible! 55 pounds! Congratulations. I hope the rotator cuff continues to get better.

Asukaru, welcome back to the routine. You know you've turned the corner on the exercise habit when you stop looking forward to it with dread, and simply look forward to it. (Me, I'm looking forward to those "after" photos from you. :huh::huh::huh: )

depinux, glad to have you aboard. Keep checking in. This is a group effort.

Weight workout this morning. That's 4 this week.

Thanks, Tom. I think my next venture will be the P90X program once the shoulder's healed up. That's if I have enough space in my living room to do the plyometric jumps..... If the ceiling's too low, I'll find something else to do.

You will be flogged. And God willing, come morning, you will be flogged some more.

Its only been two days since I've decided to join in, and today I didn't do so hot. I shall not let it set me back for tomorrow I'm GOING to be up early for a run before work, then probably die in a hot kitchen for several hours, woot. ha ha!

Since I'm going to be up by 5, I think it's time to sleep now. I shall check in with you all tomorrow, have a good night!

Although you're already conked out, setting the alarm clock ACROSS the room for tomorrow will help force you to get out of bed to get to the clock which could be strategically placed next to your workout gear.

This all only works, of course, if you remember to SET said alarm..... :ph34r:

I'm exhausted. This weekend was one long workout, between an event on Saturday then walking around the site on Sunday, every muscle in my body aches. And thanks to Mr Lasseter, I have a few good bruises too! You see, at one point while sword fighting he closed on me, then we had each other in headlocks and it went downhill from there...

:ph34r:

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Well, I've reached my first target weight of 185 pounds. Came down from around 240 or so. Doc says my rotator cuff isn't torn, so I can start rehabilitating my shoulder. Putting on more muscle and burning even more fat!

BTW - You know you've lost a LOT of weight when the shorts you couldn't fit into because they were too small, now are too big and would fall off if you weren't wearing a belt!

Whoa! A hearty congrats! That's wonderful news!

My Home on the Web

And thanks to Mr Lasseter, I have a few good bruises too!  You see, at one point while sword fighting he closed on me, then we had each other in headlocks and it went downhill from there...

B)

Let me get this straight... Ye both were holdin' swords, had each other in head locks an then rolled down a hill! :angry: :lol:

This sounds more like a Monty Python sketch than a fight. Please, tell me someone was filmin' this!

Ha ha, I managed to get up at 530 this morning, went for a lovely 2 mile run, did some weights, sit ups and push ups, then went off to work, I'm about ready to pass out now for sure, but it was fantastic, now I just need to keep it up!

Woot. :ph34r:

Up again this morning for a 2 mile run and some weights, sit ups and push ups. The other day i did 2 miles in about 30 minutes, and this time I managed to trim off 4 minutes which was surprising, but since I was running at a decline of sorts, it allowed me to run more easily than walk, even though it's not good fer the knees.

I've decided for the first week or so I'm going to get up every other day, and slowly work into running every day. I bike to work everyday so it's a little under half a mile per day, it's not great but it's better than nothing! Running is so much fun. :lol:

Back today after 3 days of kayaking at a nearby long lake. We did about 15 miles and about 12 hours on the water, all told, with me towing a canoe full of camping gear behind my kayak. Next time we work harder on ruthlessly paring down the equipment, so we can do without the gear barge. Ooofff.....

The other lesson is that there is no such thing as "remote wilderness" when boats are involved. No matter how far you paddle in, somebody else with a power boat, big speakers, and rap music will be there too. ... partying at 3am. :lol:

I'd say that counts for the workouts this week. ;)

Back today after 3 days of kayaking at a nearby long lake. We did about 15 miles and about 12 hours on the water, all told, with me towing a canoe full of camping gear behind my kayak. Next time we work harder on ruthlessly paring down the equipment, so we can do without the gear barge. Ooofff.....

The other lesson is that there is no such thing as "remote wilderness" when boats are involved. No matter how far you paddle in, somebody else with a power boat, big speakers, and rap music will be there too. ... partying at 3am. :rolleyes:

I'd say that counts for the workouts this week. :lol:

I'd agree! Paddling can be very strenuous!

Shame about the civilization...

I just did 25 minute walk... but it is sooo humid and the air is so heavy it felt more like a swim!

My Home on the Web

So after gaining back what I lost due to the injury, I'm finally loosing again. I think I lost a pound in the past week. I'm back to my normal exercise schedule, plus I'm walking on breaks and lunches again, and if I'm not too tired after work, I'll go to the local college and do a mile or to around their track.

I'm also going to Weight Watchers meetings because the whole trying to do the diet on my own and check in through the website wasn't working.

So the next two weeks will be adjusting to that, trying to manage points, and trying to fit in all the fruits, veggies, and milk requirements into my diet. Oi.

I need to get back in gear with my weight loss projects =p I've gained back what I lost, but it took about a year so that's not quite as horrible as if I'd done it in a few months...

I was walking very seriously and eating better, but I tend to be an "emotional eater"

that AND the rain has made it almost impossible to keep up any outdoor activities unless you want to be up to your armpits in mud

AAAAAND... a sneaky lack of resolve... ugh

but randomly stepping on the scale today has kicked me back in gear, so i'm hoping to get the weight back off... it's so easy to gain and so hard to get rid of =p

61jctci.jpg

Hips are getting plumper. Bloody Pimm's! (not to mention the lemonade).

Like Blue Puppy, I need to get back to my daily walking routine. I've had so many excuses not to exercise lately: summer cold, migraine, smog warnings, and just plain laziness.

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

I bounced up a few pounds too. According to the calculation of calorie consumption for my size and activities, my base three meals were about a thousand calories below my burn rate. I stopped bothering to record everything, thinking I had too big a margin to worry about, and lo and behold the weight came back ("...the very next day, the weight came back, thought it was a goner, but the weight came back, it just wouldn't stay away...." :lol: )

I originally said 185 by end of June; here it is end of June, and the scale says 184 this morning. Woot. But I'm not 175 today, which was my revised goal when I hit 185 three months ago. Blast.

Time to get serious again on the calorie counting.

i foudn our old exercise bike in the garage the other day, so i've been doing that twice a day for 15 minutes, followed by 15 minutes of weights and ab junk... so far i've lost 1 pound, so that's good =p hahaha

61jctci.jpg

another benefit i've noticed already from riding the bike is that my joints aren't creaking and popping quite as much as they used to =p it sounds horrible to talk about that when you're only 23, but i can only thank the bajillions of joint injuries from being a "frilly tomboy" =p

my "weather joints" havent given me much trouble lately, and we've had QUITE a bit of bad weather...

what kind of bridge did you go over? was it one of the enormously tall ones? the last time i crossed one of those on foot, it was so old, the wood planks were rotting and if you weren't careful you could step in between them. that was a nightmare =p

61jctci.jpg

Heading up to the northern beach shack for a week's vacation.

While I'm there, I vow to swim a complete lap of the bay every morning, and hike the backwoods trails every afternoon.

Oh, who am I kidding? The most exercise I'll likely get is lifting the Corona bottle to my lips and shifting the deck chair periodically to follow the shade of the beach umbrella.

Better pack the muumuu, I guess!

pirate-jenny-text.jpg