The Great Loose Weight Thread

blackjohn

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's great that you, blackjohn, have a knack for finding new ways to make walking work for you. I really believe that enjoying exercise is key, well outside of sheer self control.

We had 34 days straight with no rain. Last week it rained for something like four days straight, hence, no walking. But yeah... I'm try to get out and walk when I can...

I heard someone say all you need to do is burn off 400 calories a day. With cold weather coming, I'll have to dig the excercise bike out from under a mountain of reenacting gear and books and stuff and see how many minutes it takes to burn 400 cals.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

It's that time of year again (making a face) when all the "GOOD" stuff comes out...perhaps that is one of the other reasons I love Halloween!

Anyway, new to this thread and have been battling increasing weight gain for the last 5 years.

Since January of this year...'things' have enlarged. Husband is not complaining, mind you...but I feel somewhat lethargic with my increased weight and inches.

I have managed to loose 16 pounds thus far...but am wondering if anyone else has this issue....

Since the weight loss (inches), has anyone else been bruising easily? I make sure that I take a multi-vitamin with extra iron, and such...but I look like a patchwork of black, red and blue.

Any suggestions?

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Bruising... hmmm... no idea... but I guess there's a reason why Roman gladiators were fed a diet that kept them on the chubby side...

Ok, so I spent most of yesterday running about being chased by or chasing the forces of law and order... carrying a hefty blunderbuss... and I must say if I reenacted every day, I'd drop weight in a hurry! I'm sore. I'm slightly hungover. I'm going back out and doing it again today. Huzzah!

My Home on the Web

Dang, I'm beat again... we did three scenarios again today... the last being a repeat of one we did yesterday, in which Sterling gets taken captive by the local militia, then strung up from a tree to hang until dead... while we ruuuuuunnnn all the way back from where we were to were the camps were to attempt a rescue.

Running. I thought I didn't have to do that sort of thing anymore.

My Home on the Web

Without a doubt! Not only does it count, but if you make as many twists and turns carrying large boxes as I do, I also will vouch for it being a great way to practice you Muttly impersonation... Rassum brassum rassum brassum

My Home on the Web

Back to my weight workout after slacking off for about a month. (Had a camping trip to prepare for, and then Halloween.) Feels good to be sore again.

I've managed to bob around between 180-185 ever since early summer. Frustrating to be stuck. I think I shall stop worrying about the poundage and start concentrating on losing inches. (And hopefully gaining inches in some other places where they'll be appreciated, like delts and lats.) 32 waistline, here we come!

Yeah - I'm giving up on the scale as well. Due to the weight training, my size loss and weight loss don't seem to be related. I've lost a third of the weight I want to lose but half of the size I want to lose. Most folks my size weigh about ten pounds less than I do, even allowing for my small bone structure.

RHJMap.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

ugh... remind me to pick a more sensible New Year's Resolution next year... like a repeat of No $tarbuck$ for a whole year.

Too much pumpkin pie and birthday cake has left my arms a shambles... lifted weights for the first time in... whatever... and now I can barely type.

My Home on the Web

• 2 weeks later...

I probably get all kinds of exercise on those few occasions I go to the mall to shop. I'm very impatient about the time it takes to get from point A to point B when I have things to do, so when I'm walking through the mall, I walk QUICKLY.

I'm about halfway to my weight goal (fifteen pounds gone, sixteen to go...) Folks are starting to notice how much thinner I look and a lot of my clothes are too big for me now. Oddly enough, I won't look that much thinner until I get close to 120, then I'll suddenly look a lot thinner. Wacky.

RHJMap.jpg

Well, I'm still using that new hole in the belt that I punched sometime mid-summer, so overall the effort has been a success. The 36" waistline jeans I started the year with are now literally fall-off-my-butt loose, so even if the poundage is stalled, the work hasn't been completely without effect. Bad news is that although I was looking fairly buff (for me) for a while there, everything started atrophying when I slacked off my workout schedule for the past month, due to nightly rehearsals for the Christmas Revels. Now that the show is done with, time to get back on track.

Hmm. Just in time to make it a New Year's resolution!

My feet are killing me... but I have to admit I like walking at the mall, you see all sorts of interesting people, and tying it into Christmas shopping makes it that much easier.

Resolutions Tom? I think I'll resolve to do a better job at it next year, and not tie in into posting here. That didn't work. I'd be better off resolving to keep my library in good order so I can drag out the exercise machine.

But I'm glad to say a few people stuck it out. Here's to ya!

;););)

My Home on the Web

• 7 months later...

This seems like a good reason to bump this subject back into action.

I am having gastric bypass surgery tomorrow. It was a hard decision to come to, but after a lifetime of trying and failing to lose weight the old-fashioned way, I realized that this was my best option. I've worked hard the last few months to lose about 35 pounds, but that still leaves me at 300+. So, beginning tomorrow, I have new insides and a new life.

I hope to amaze everyone at RF5 in Chicago next year, and again in Port Washington. By next June, I hope to weigh about 100 lbs less than I do now. Which is a great excuse to get new garb!

Red Bess will be keeping everyone here informed how the surgery goes, and I'll post my thoughts when I feel better in a week or so.

I hope the surgery goes well for you, mate! Here's to seeing less of you next year in a good way! :blink:

I'm happy to report that since February, I've lost nearly 40 pounds and am closing in on my target weight. It feels good being able to wear clothes I haven't fit into in over 3 years!

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

• 5 weeks later...