The Great Loose Weight Thread

blackjohn

Got my weight workout in this evening. My schedule had gotten rather badly overturned starting the new job, but I think I can get things back on track. Bumped all the weights up by another pound or so, too, which is small consolation for the fact that the scale reads 195 again. Arrrrrrgggghh! How did that happen? :huh::huh::huh::huh:

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds like a good method, john. What kind of machine?

This am: biked to the train (3 mi), walked to the office (3/4 mi). Still have the bike ride home to do this pm. Then tonight is java homework night.

It's an old healthrider...

HRCR9155.jpg

There are bars underneath the seat to either side where extra weights can be added. I had a 10 and a 5 on each side. Replaced them with two 25s. That's what was on the machine last time I used it. Now I'm almost back to that point, but not quite.

I have to admit it's a good machine. It creaks and groans after 10 minutes (or maybe that's me?) but considering it's probably 10 years old, I can't complain!

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I've been really sick lately but have tried to not let that interfere with my walking.

Today I'm wearing a pair of pants I bought a while back - a size six. A TRUE size six, not one of those new "resized" sixes that are really an eight. My goal is to get to a small six/large four.

RHJMap.jpg

Yesterday: biked to the train (3 mi), walked from train to work (3/4 mi), biked home, weight workout.

Today: Just the biking. It's homework night again tonight.

100 situps, john! Whoa. All at once? At this point I'm dying after 20. (I do 3 sets of 20, 1 per cycle through the weights, but still...)

I've never understood clothing "sizes." Playing with our heads, they be. Men have it easier, with plain old tape measurements, instead of arbitrary numbers that can change definition with marketing trends.

Stairstep this morning. Programming homework next. Weights tonight. Kayaking with the boys and their Grandpa tomorrow!

The scale is back down to 190 this morning, thank goodness. I think it went up when I changed from weighing myself in the morning, at my emptiest as it were, to at night with the day's food still inside.

That does make it hard to keep going, when everyone is bailing out around your ears. Oh well, come back here and tell us when you're done, and we'll love ye for it.

Speaking of check-ins, I did the regular bike commute, and walked from work to the train in the pm.

I'm going to try to calculate calories burned in 24 hrs, by activity. I've started counting what I eat, and generally I'm keeping it under 1600 or so, which should be a deficit for my current size, I think?

Lasted 20 minutes on the eliptical today - which can be tougher and easier than running on a treadmill.

I'm sticking to slimfast right now - mostly because it's cheaper and healthier than getting fastfood everyday.

Nothing significant to report in the weightloss department though :lol:

man... talk about a tough week... work out the wazoo...

I figured out I just couldn't take the 50 extra pounds on the machine. It was just too much. To the point were I just couldn't put myself on that machine for a couple days. This morning, I dropped the wts back to 40, and it was so much nicer. So I'm back in a semi-happy place. Semi-happy, because I think I picked up a pound or three in the last week.

*sigh*

oh well... picking up 2 or 3 beats picking up 5 or 6...

My Home on the Web

Biked to the train as usual, walked to work from the station. I think I'm going to try walking that segment both morning and evening; it's only 15 minutes, and every little bit helps.

The calorie counter I mentioned yesterday says that my total calorie burn (Resting Metabolic Rate plus activities) is around 2800 calories. I'm not sure I believe that. At a deficit of nearly 1200 calories per weekday and 400 per weekend day, I would expect to be losing faster than I am.

OTOH, I've only been doing the biking for a week now; I suppose I should wait a few before pronouncing that a lie, and see if the weight comes off at the 2 pounds a week predicted by that burn rate.

I broke 190 today! First time in about seven years I've been below 190. :huh::P:huh::lol:

I guess the current regimen is working. (It had better be. I took a vacation day today to take the boys on a field trip on the Lady Washington -- which was great fun, but that's another story -- and afterwards we went for ice cream. I abstained, but it put me in a foul mood to have to say no. )

Yesterday: tidepooling. Not the most strenuous, but it involved something like 2 miles of hiking.

Today: weight workout. I'm working on increasing the number of situps per cycle. I'm up to 22 per cycle, or 66 per workout. (You've given me an example to shoot for, John!)

I seem to have injured (or at least irritated) one foot. Maybe from all the new walking on concrete sidewalks. Blast....

Oh well, there's still the biking, which has to happen, and the weights if I can stay motivated.

Weights last night. Progress is slow, and in tiny increments, but noticeable.

Gotten kinda quiet around here....Silkie? William? Mermaid? Red Peach, what news? (Some people call that "nagging." Here we call it "support and encouragement.") :lol:

I've just been doing the daily ride to and from the train. I'm slightly less out of breath at the end of the ride home than I was three weeks ago.

It's hard to make time for the weight workout right now because the deadline to complete my programming class is this Friday. I'm going to do one tonight, though.

Kudos to Asukaru for keeping up on the machine.

I HIT 185 TODAY!!!!

:huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

(185 was my goal for end of June, to be followed by 175 by end of year. All right then. Make it 175 by June and 165 by end of year.)

Looks like those calorie calculations are not so far off after all! Never has a pirate been so pleased to be starvin'! Yarr! :unsure:

Whooo! Congrats!

My exercise habits took a totally unexpected turn. The last week or so it has been evening walks with the family, usually with son #2 riding on my shoulders for the last 1/2 mile.

Did traditional exercise just now...

My Home on the Web