Port Royal, Jamica. JOINT THREAD

Capt. Sterling

I am throwing this idea out to see what everyone thinks.

At this point, there are a lot of characters to keep track of. What if we made a list of all characters, their descriptions, and under whose "control/voice" they are. When a character who hasn't made an appearance in awhile comes up, you wouldn't have to scroll back through the thread to remind yourself what he/she looks like.

I also thought this would help anyone just coming into the story to get better aquainted with all the various characters.

Any thoughts?

Ransom

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point, there are a lot of characters to keep track of. What if we made a list of all characters, their descriptions, and under whose "control/voice" they are. When a character who hasn't made an appearance in awhile comes up, you wouldn't have to scroll back through the thread to remind yourself what he/she looks like.

I also thought this would help anyone just coming into the story to get better aquainted with all the various characters.

Any thoughts?

Ransom

Sounds as a good idea .... Think people will appreciate it in more then one way :D

portroyalbannerfinalbig-1.gif

always surrounded by shadows , always in the shadow. A spectre he be !

Any thoughts?

Ransom

Brilliant idea... how would ye like to go about it Lady?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Dear Captain Sterling...

Perhaps you can just list the names of those upon the chat here?

No offense Madame...but like I have time for that...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

...during this time frame, Port Royal was considered the wickedest place in the world...

Aye Captain.

Me bruddah an' I kin 'elp wit dat....

Titim gan éirí ort.

There are many forms of evil. We urge you lesser forms of filth not to push the boundaries into true corruption, into our domain.

Come now, you rich, weep and howl for your miseries that are coming upon you! Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are moth-eaten. Your gold and silver are corroded, and their corrosion will be a witness against you and will eat your flesh like fire. James 5:1-3

...during this time frame, Port Royal was considered the wickedest place in the world...

Aye Captain.

Me bruddah an' I kin 'elp wit dat....

What if each player were to pm or email you with the bios of the characters then you can arrange how to post them in another thread??

Crewe of the Archangel

Rather then attempt to PM everyone, why not just start a seperate thread? Maybe labled Port Royal Character Bio's—somethng to that effect? This would be only for bio's, not questions, such as this thread.

That way it would be easy to click into, print, and use as a reference. It would also make it easy for characters to be added, and those of us playing multiply characters could add them at our leisure, without being burdened with a long project straight away.

I don't think this list needs to contain the character's life story, just a quick description, age, maybe place of origin, and any quirks (Kilingsworth!) your character might have.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Rather then attempt to PM everyone, why not just start a seperate thread? Maybe labled Port Royal Character Bio's—somethng to that effect? This would be only for bio's, not questions, such as this thread.

That way it would be easy to click into, print, and use as a reference. It would also make it easy for characters to be added, and those of us playing multiply characters could add them at our leisure, without being burdened with a long project straight away.

I don't think this list needs to contain the character's life story, just a quick description, age, maybe place of origin, and any quirks (Kilingsworth!) your character might have.

This sounds the most sensible thing to do...

Because of so many Characters coming and going ...

It would be hard for one person to put in a "database"

Oh , and I would not say that Killingsworths has any quirks ... Apart from a Quote from Killingsworth himself : "Causing mental anguish upon others, watching others suffer by their own hand, participating in various acts of lewdness and debauchery with questionable individuals, beating women, kicking children, rat pucking and going to the theater!"

Everything seems normal except for the theater !

:lol:

always surrounded by shadows , always in the shadow. A spectre he be !

I think it a wise proposition....Now you will excuse my wilst I go shackle mine Muse in the celler for being so prolific. :lol: On second thought...Now where did I leave that 64 caliber cavalry pistol.....

Even for the basics, it will take me a bit of time to round up all the troupes..Nevertheless, such could be done. Mon Dieu! I am counting twelve in my stable, just off the top of my head.....Quick, I need a double cognac!!!

O shoshoy kaste si feri yek khiv sigo athadjol.~Romani Proverb

Celui qui ne sait pas se taire sait rerement bien parler.~Pierre Charron

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Hmm...I suppose a brief outline of us would assist in whom we are up against. Naturally, I wouldn't wish to give away too much...as Striker has already listed my finer qualities...

And yes, the theater! By God, Striker...culture! It's the very thing that gives me life!....(that and my mum, of course).

200px-John_Wilmot2.jpg

Allow me to be frank at the commencement; You will not like me...™

Okay, here's what I'll do. I'll start the thread. Each of us will have one post, listing current characters. As you add or subtract (kill off) characters, just go into "edit" and change that post.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Okay, here's what I'll do. I'll start the thread. Each of us will have one post, listing current characters. As you add or subtract (kill off) characters, just go into "edit" and change that post.

Oi!?! we have to die??? :lol:

Crewe of the Archangel

Err, guys, I was thinking brief, thumbnail sketches for quick reference.

:o My dear Captain Sterling, I fear, if you continue in your current mode of verbosity, that by the time you list the rest of the crew under your command, the Archangel will need her own thread.

Brevity, dear people, brevity, I beg you! :huh::huh:

Humbly,

Ransom

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Err, guys, I was thinking brief, thumbnail sketches for quick reference.

:huh: My dear Captain Sterling, I fear, if you continue in your current mode of verbosity, that by the time you list the rest of the crew under your command, the Archangel will need her own thread.

Brevity, deal people, brevity, I beg you! :huh::huh:

Humbly,

Ransom

This was quick for me as it was written months ago... so I just cut and pasted.. :o and I did edit... :huh: As for the rest of my crewe... they can list themselves...

Crewe of the Archangel

I can only speak for myself, so here goes.

I'm sure there is some PMing between players—I've done a bit, but it wasn't about plot—but most often it seems to be more a matter of "roll with it." :lol:

It's kinda left up to each person as to how they want to get involved. You can put yourself in someone's path, pretend to know someone from before they arrived at Port Royal, stumble onto something, etc. It took me awhile to decide how I wanted to interact with the others, then before I could decide, I got shanghied into a tavern brawl! That was fun.

Best advice I can give is, as this is my first time at role-playing, watch the story line, see where you might fit in. Then dive in, the water's fine. :lol:

BTW, there is a character bio joint thead for Port Royal you might want to check out, which will give you backgrounds on some of the characters being played.

See you in PR soon! The more the merrier.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

My suggestion ...read a good bit, set yourself someplace around town and go from there. Perhaps I am not the best to say I have not posted on this thread but do post for the WatchDog. You could simply put yourself on a ship that has come into port or in the shadows of the tavern and wait. My final suggestion, talk to someone who knows because ...I have been wondering the same thing! :lol:

...not that I will have time to but I would like to participate.

So question for everyone. How much discussion is behind the scenes? How much are people PMing each other? or do you write down whatever you want and let the other characters play out? Thanks just wanted the ground rules.

A little bit of both actually... usually the major "monkey wrenches" are done with knowledge on anyone else's part.... when two or more characters start acting off one another it is polite to discuss some, but not all, of what's going on just because it would not be correct for someone else to completely turn another person's character around or "make them do" something that the "owner" of the character would not want....

Crewe of the Archangel

I would like to join in on this, but I don't know how...

Yes, I agree with Silkie and Ransom, first you need to read and catch up... you need to know the background because if you jump in and just try to change everything around, it's not going to flow...so you need to do some "homework"... currently we are waiting on Sir Henry to get freed up from work to get the attack on Portbello rolling... so we are still in port and we kind of have a "soap opera" going on, but we are still trying to keep it period correct and so far it seems to be working, after all, life went on even back then... ;) So read, figure out what your character would have been back then, brush up on some history if need be... and jump in... like twas mentioned, anyone could sail in at any time...if you wish to become an Island dweller... maybe you have just gotten feed up with all that's been happening and now you want to get involved ...

Crewe of the Archangel