Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

Trilby took the note and read it. With one bushy eyebrow raised, he said, "Croaker asked for this, did he? Weel, it must be serious, if that ol' beezelbub sent ye tae mae house." He handed the note back to the woman. "Wait here, then. And don't touch anything."

Trilby went into his study, found the herb that was wanted, poured a bit of it onto a piece of paper, folded the paper into an envelope and then sealed it with wax. He returned to his parlor, where the woman still waited, her face drawn with worry.

"Here." He held out the envelope. "And tell that Hun, Croaker, tae use it sparingly. A bit will help, too much, and whoever his poor patient is will be drugged intae a permanant sleep, and Croaker will have lived up to his last name. Do yea understand me, woman?"

HerbalBookPage.jpg

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lilly nodded that she understood and carefully took the paper envelope, tucking it safely away in one pocket. Pulling her hood close about her face, she turned and hurried for the door. It was a moment before she realized her error. Turning once more, she made her way back to the Scot, placed her hand gently upon his sleeve and, trying not cry, she thanked him.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Conversation had been kept at a minimal as the road out of the Port leading parallel to the coast was followed. The moon watched on as four riders kept steady pace, passing wedding gift estate and onward to where break in fields to the left gave notice of near destination achievement.

The four turned in unison to breach high arch of gate way yawning open as if bored with the stillness abounding. Last rider glanced upward to plantation's moniker scrolled in elegant curvature of bronze render announcing to the proxy of all, Trade Winds.

Ahead some trek of mile's quarter, large domicile raised from the ground and flourished its' beauty to the land around. Moonlight caressed its' whitened sides, occasionally disturbed by yellowish hues of lamp inducement reaching tentatively into the darkness. Dirt gave way to cobbled courtyard; horses hooves rattling staccato echoes ceasing with dismount of two.

Christophe halted at Bay's large head, carefully observing the surround of rectangle form; a large fountain the only break in flagstone plains. Dauphine paused briefly looking over shoulder to three companions before moving onward unto heavy double door and the large bell that hung on right side. Clasping tether, pull was administered and bell sang to those within and without.

Letting cord free to dangle and bounce at bell's whim, gloves were removed and tuck half in belt at waist. Muffled yet nevertheless discernable, footsteps were heard from beyond carved twin blockades.

Sabastian stepped a backward pace and waited for access to be granted.

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

“Five and Twenty Ponies, Trotting thru’ the Dark.

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg

At the sound of the peal of the entrance bell, Preston started from his doze by the front door. The aged black man got to his feet, straightened his coat, and cleared the phlem from his throat. He didn't remember the Master and Mistress telling him there would be guests at so late an hour, but then, he thought, his memory wasn't all it used to be.

He shuffled to the door, lifted the bolt, and opened it. In the dim light coming from the lantern over the portal, Preston saw strange men. Behind them, horses pawed impatiently at the cobbles.

Old bones protesting, Preston straightened himself to his full height, which came just above the newcomers shoulders, and asked in his most officious tone, "Are you expected?"

LADYVIOLET2.jpg

Dauphine moved forward to allow better view of his person from thresh hold framing and inner illuminate stroked lovingly the fall of tailored velvet of azure hues. A smile that spoke of nothing less than charm played over angled features as he made quick study of the man afore him and what could be gleaned just beyond.

"In a manner of speaking, Monsieur. It is a matter which concerns Madame and myself greatly. If you would be so kind, I would appreciate in deepest being, that you inform her of my calling."

The smile played again in most beguiling measure.

"And do expound to Madame of my most sincere apologies in disturbing her peace at such late hour. It is due to the nature of circumstance that forces me upon her with utmost urgency..."

Smile widened, but never quite reached liquid depths of feral visual pools.

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Preston paused, impressed by the gentleman's polite demeanor, but still a little nervous. Clearly, the man was of the quality, if one judged his dress and manor of speech, but the lateness of the hour, and the urgency the man spoke of, made Preston hesitate.

"What urgency, sir, at such a late hour?"

Before the guest could reply, Preston's master, Lord Albert, dressed in lounging robe and without his wig, his face flushed with an excess of Port, exited the study and approached the entrance hall.

"Preston, who are these people? What in God's name do they want at this hour?"

Preston bowed and replied, "The gentleman says it is a matter of utmost urgency that he talk to Madame."

Lord Albert peered at the guests. "What the devil's business do you have with my wife, and why couldn't it wait until a decent hour of the morning? She's in bed, sir, and I'm in no mood to wake her."

LADYVIOLET2.jpg

Equine restlessness sounded from behind as hoof danced cobbles than ceased; soft nicker followed to be answered in kind. Sabastian remained unruffled by Lord's brusque nature; instead concealed inward amusement at portly form and peach fuzzed pate. Removing chapeau and resting it over heart, Dauphine indicated sympathetic hint of nod.

"I am all apologies, my Lord. In all favored truth, I would not dream nor desire to disrupt Madame's repose. I have no want to place myself as burden nor inconvenience upon your Lordship by encouraging such trespass.

Please grant me and mine forgiveness for our lack of consideration in barging in a such latened hour." Chapeau was replaced and expression set with overt humility. Reaching into coat pocket, two coins were extracted and offered to man-servant, "I thank you, good sir, for your kind service of me."

Retreating a small distance, Dauphin's attention reverted to Man of the Manor, "If you would be so kind, Your Lordship, would you please inform Madame that I have desire to gain audience with her in the morning, at her earliest convenience. It concerns a matter of great import to her and myself. Can you advise me of a proper time in which to return?"

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Lady Violet, having just come from her niece's room, heard the disruption in the entrance hall and thought it was the sailors come to carry out the kidnapping. She hurried down the stairs, and saw Albert and Preston talking to someone in the doorway.

When she reached the landing, she said, "Albert, is it the sailors? If so, I have already dealt with that little bit of...." She stopped dead when she caught a glimse of the figure standing so galaunt in the doorway..."Oh, it's you."

Albert turned to her. "I thought you were abed. Since you're not, do you know this man? He says he has business with you, but honestly Violet, I have no idea what he's talking about."

Violet's heart beat quicker, as it always did in anticipation of a challenging confrontation. She stepped closer to the door and gazed with utmost nobility at the man before her, but secretly, she was thrilled at the opportunity to cross wits with one who appeared, if not exactly her equal, then at the very least, a stirring opponent.

She frowned at her husband. "Oh Albert, I doubt it is me he has come to see." She focused her pale grey eyes back on the man she had last seen at the Royal Grace. "Don't you think it a bit late to pay a sick bed call? In all honesty, I was hoping you would have forgotten all about her by now. So, do tell me, what did you wish to speak to me about?"

LADYVIOLET2.jpg

Movement in nether region of high arched foyer captured Dauphin's attention; his sights sliding off portly Lord to center on female counterpart and what was glimpsed at being caught off guard stirred mirth inwardly. As her focus zeroed upon his person, chapeau was doffed and accompanied by flourished bow. Rising with fluid grace, the deepness of dark sight rested upon her; feral fire dancing in chocolate depths.

"Don't you think it a bit late to pay a sick bed call? In all honesty, I was hoping you would have forgotten all about her by now. So, do tell me, what did you wish to speak to me about?"

Her queries induced charmed smile to stroke features and he deviated, "My most profound apologies to you, Madame. If the hour is unsuiting to you, I am quite prepared to make amends and return on the morrow. I had full intention of arriving much sooner, though a matter of import and private necessity delayed my intention."

Smile retreated, giving over to wash of empathetic expression, "Nevertheless, Your Ladyship, if it is of no greatened inconvenience to yourself and your Household, I feel that what I have come to parlay is of greatened concern to us both and would most prefer it breached sooner rather than later. In either case, you will find me to be your most humble and obliging servant."

In the darkness, just beyond portal light boundary, Roberts and Dubois dared sidelong glance to each other

While Christophe remained stock still blancketed with neutral posturing.

ClaudeDuval.jpg

As Lilly left the professor’s shop, she quickened her pace once more. Now that she had the remedy in her possession, she found herself clutching the parchment in her pocket, repeatedly, just to make sure it was still there. Down the narrow alley and back towards the docks she went, her feet now flying as she made her way back to Nelly’s house.

The air was heavy now. Perhaps it was just her heart that was feeling that way. Lilly thought back to her sea-faring Captain lying helpless in his bed as the fever took him. If he were to expire from his dreadful beating, she would not know what to do. However, she could not think the worst. There were other things to think about and discuss once he did reclaim his strength.

She soon found herself in front of Nelly’s garden gate. As she looked up at the house, she could make out no light coming from any of the windows. Surely they had not retired to leave the captain all alone, she thought to herself. Even if the day had been hectic and far from the norm.

She slowly opened the garden gate and went to the kitchen door. She found it, once again, left unlatched awaiting her arrival. Inside, she found Sally tending the fire and warming the kettle.

“Good,” Sally whispered. “They are still waiting for you upstairs.”

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Smile retreated, giving over to wash of empathetic expression, "Nevertheless, Your Ladyship, if it is of no greatened inconvenience to yourself and your Household, I feel that what I have come to parlay is of greatened concern to us both and would most prefer it breached sooner rather than later. In either case, you will find me to be your most humble and obliging servant."

Albert looked to his wife, at the guest, then back to his wife. "Drat, Violet, who is the man and what is he talking about?"

Violet smiled, and replied, "We have never been introduced, but I believe he is my niece's paramour. Why, it was only just tonight that she described him to me as 'Young, gallant, lively, alert, agile, bold, adventurous, hight-handed and a touch arogant'. What do you think, dear? Shall we invite him in?"

Despite what most people thought on their first aquaintance, Albert was not a stupid man. He peered at the newcomer again, and a cord was suddenly struck. "Why, you're one of the Devareaux's are you not?"

At the mention of thier illusive, mysterious neighbors, Violet's smile got wider. "That settles it then. Do come in, sir. We can retire to the parlor and you can tell us what brings you to our door at so late an hour. I'm sure it will be most...facinating."

She stepped back, as did Lord Albert. Preston quickly pocketed the coins the man had given him, then bowed formally. "I will bring refreshments, your ladyship, and alert Timmon to fetch the stable boy to care for the gentlemen's horses."

Albert, heading toward a set of double doors, remarked, "Well, come in then, but as this is such an informal meeting, I refuse to put that blasted wig back on."

Lady Violet rolled her eyes. "Really, Albert, I seriously doubt that your wig, or lack thereof, is of any interest to them whatsoever." She turned to Devereaux, and gestured toward the double doors. "That way, sir, if you please."

LADYVIOLET2.jpg

Dauphin took in Husband / Wife tit for tat with feigned lack of interest. It was amazing what could be judged of the playing field by such interactions and many things were revealed in the blink of moments. Smallish gesture was made and Christophe joined in close proxy, wishes were relayed in mother tongue then Frenchman returned to the courtyard. Sabastian's attention turned to where matron waited, Tabby Cat smile hidden just below her expression.

"You are most kind, Madame...But, I feel it might be in the best interest of your stable attendant to allow my associates to handle our mounts. My own can be quite troublesome to those he is not familiar with and I would feel quite regretful if something where to happen. Monsieur Lambert shall join us, if that is of no issue." Again the smile was offered and with companion's return, double doors were passed into room of refined appointments. With practiced eye, all contained within chamber's surround were noted and evaluated with secretive measure.

While Christophe remained just inside door's yawn, Sabastian took place near ornate hearth, " I feel that I am in error of protocol and very much in need of atonement. His Lordship is correct in his earlier observation, I am one such Devareaux...Though not to be confused with mine elder brother, Andre'. Propriety begs that I should clarify such." Chapeau was removed and placed to rest upon deep cushioning of large hearth side chair, "My name is Sabastian Devareaux and I find it quite the pity that we have lived in such near quarter to each other and yet have never been in acquaintance. I think that I may call myself a richer man now that such has been rectified. You do me great honour, My Lord and Ladyship, for which I thank you for your gracious offer of hospitality at such short notice."

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Lady Violet thought she had heard the best of chivalric small talk at court, but this young Frenchman and his blandishments made her smile with admiration.

"My, how polite you are, Monsieur Devareaux. Yes, it is a pity that we have never met before, but then, Lord Albert and myself don't spend much time at Trade Winds, preferring to leave the running of the plantation in the hands of our most capable manager."

Preston entered the room with a tray on which were four glasses and a decanter of brandy.

"May I offer you refreshment, sirs?" Lady Violet said.

Albert, not waiting for his guests, poured himself a glassful, and obviously tired of the small talk, remarked, "Can we get to the issue at hand? What is it that you wish to tell us?"

LADYVIOLET2.jpg

Against the irritation that boiled just under placid expression, Christophe's mental dialog was what one would expect of a Frenchman when having to deal with overt Englishman. He waited patiently until Preston made the round then accepted the final glass with word of appreciation.

Ignoring the Lord of the Manor's flaw of conduct, Dauphin smiled good naturedly, nodding attentive to Lady Cunningham's niceties then sampled from his own vessel. Brandy was savored with connoisseur’s appreciation and upon speaking, diversion was slyed once more.

" A highly notable example of brandied spirit; quite robust and I can only assume it is French in origin due to the flavor that reckons upon the rear most portion of pallet...Most wonderful, indeed. My compliments, for it is truly a delight to imbibe"

ClaudeDuval.jpg

It was all Lady Violet could do to keep from bursting out laughing. Oh, you're good, she thought, you're very good. "I do believe you're right, Monsieur, however, I much prefer a good Irish whiskey."

Albert huffed. "Did you come here, sir, to discuss the merits of my brandy? If it will speed this interview along, I will send a bottle home with you, although, I'm sure it no doubt pales in comparison to what is in your own cellar."

Violet allowed Albert to ruffle the Frenchman's feathers. It was a useful tactic, on occation, and she knew Albert was doing it on purpose — testing the waters, sort to speak. By the flashing of his dark eyes, she knew the man by the door was becoming angry. So, she thought, the tactics were working on at least that one.

"Albert, please, these men are our guests. Let's be civil, shall we?" She turned toward the one called Sebastian. "Let me refill your glass."

LADYVIOLET2.jpg

Sabastian acknowledged Lord's comment with hinted bow, "You are most gracious, My Lord and let me further justice to such statement for tis only right that I should allow a gift in gratitude to such said. I shall make it of utmost priority upon my arrival home, to forward into your keeping something from mine own Private Stock....It is the very least that I can do."

"Albert, please, these men are our guests. Let's be civil, shall we?" She turned toward the one called Sebastian. "Let me refill your glass."

"Merci, Madame. I find that when delving into the most refined of spirits, it is oft times more pleasurable to sample more than once in order to savor the hidden characteristics....." Accepting the refreshning, slow sampling was taken then glass set upon alabaster mantle.

"It seems that My Lord is feeling a bit restless as to the nature of mine visit. So it would only seem just that I out with it, so to speak." He paused to acknowledge one than the other before continuing. " I have what one might call a proposition to make....Something that might very well prove benefit to all concerned."

Light danced a mischievous jig in chocolate pools of vision.

ClaudeDuval.jpg

"Than I see no other way to approach said proposition than in this manner. I am a man of commerce and have controlling interest in many local establishments as well as holdings in other locals of note. With this taken into consideration, I can say in all honesty that there is little that I am in need of via either possession or fulfillment of gaining such..." Dauphin paused, allowing sincerity stage entrance upon angled features, "With that said, there is one thing that I desire; one emptiness which I desire whole. There is no question as to what I might be able to provide and it is with whole heart and honest intents that I wish your niece as mine own wife..."

The drop of pin could have been discerned in any of chamber's vast corners.

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Lady Violet nearly dropped her glass. She wasn't sure what she had expected from this interview, but an offer of marriage for her neice had certainly not been drempt of, nor was it welcome.

"Forgive me, monsieur, but, why do you wish to marry my niece? We are all adults here, so I may speak frankly. You know of her dubious lifestyle, for she has lain in your bed, but do you really wish to take such a woman to wife? It seems hardly creditable."

Lord Albert, his jaw dropped, sputtered, "Are you out of your mind! The woman is a hoiden, as Violet has so often said. She'd run off to sea again as soon as your back was turned. Really, sir, it defies reason."

LADYVIOLET2.jpg

Dauphin listened with proper attention tuned, "But does not love defy raison....She fills me with happiness, is that not what truly matters. Though do not think that I am ignoring your concerns. We are all adults here and to that I can do no less than fully agree. There are many that would say that I myself am of dubious character, though do I not stand here afore you the portrait of genteel civility....?"

Glass was retrieved from mantle resting, exchanging for nesting within palm cradle, "Do not forget that I having shipping interests at mine command, as well. I do think that certain arrangements could be made and that I could well appease your dear niece's every whim and desire. I am all of anticipation on welcoming her to new domicile that lays not far from here. I do believe that you are familiar with the large abode in passing to the shore side of main road....Please do me the honour of your blessings. I can promise you a startling change in her manner within a short passing of time. Such a merger shall be of benefit on so many levels...."

And smile of hoping innocence was offered as reassurance.

ClaudeDuval.jpg

"Change her manner?" Lord Albert gasped. "You could as easily change the course of the sun. Really, man, it is too preposterous."

Lady Violet, no longer amused, slammed her glass back on the tray, nearly shattering the fragile thing. "It's a trick, Albert, devised between the two of them for just such a situation as this. As soon as she is off our property, he'll let her go back to her ship. I'm sorry, Monsieur Devareaux, but I have plans for my niece, and a life in Port Royal, as your wife or otherwise, is not a part of them."

LADYVIOLET2.jpg

"You wound me to the core, My Lady..." He looked away and sighed disheartened, then motioned for Christophe to come forward. Not giving true acknowledgement to English company, Frenchman came to halt afore high table which acted as offset center piece to hearth side.

From within the depths of coat pocket, documents were retrieved; upon those a ring of stunning facet and inner fire.

Christophe returned to doorway vigil as Dauphin's center fell to Albert.

"As you might readily discern, My Lord, I offer an honest proposition and a dowry that would be appeasing to any Aristocrat betwixt here and you lands of origin. Consider the ring a subtle trinket to give pleasure to your Niece's being, and it being only a humble example..."

ClaudeDuval.jpg

At the first hint of the disturbance in the entryway, I had left my room and, hovering at the top of the banister, listened to the exchange and the invitaion to come in. I could not imagine what Sebastian had in mind by coming here. When they retired to the parlor, I crept down the stairs and listened at the door. What I heard at first was no surprize, but the declaration of marriage caused me to suck in a breath and hold my hand over my mouth to keep from laughing out loud, which caused my shoulder to throb, and sweat to bead my forhead from the pain.

But at my aunts scathing description of my character, I could stand it no longer. Wearing my pretty white-laced night dress, I entered the room just in time to see Sebastian present a very large stoned ring to my uncle.

"Oh, mon pearl, you mustn't frighten Lady Violet so. She thinks you're serious."

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Lady Violet felt that the whole scene was decending into high farce. She knew the marriage proposal was a sham, and couldn't understand why Devareaux felt he needed to go to such an extream. As for her niece...

"Alexandra Charlotte Louis Worthylake, I order you to return to your room at once!"

The woman stood her ground, eyes blazing. "And I ordered you to never call me that again! I see you're just as good at taking orders as I am."

"This rediculous, charade of a meeting is over," Lord Albert said. "You make take your offerings, sir, and return them to a place of safe-keeping. The chit isn't worth a brass farthing."

The niece in question walked to the brandy tray, filled Lady Violet's goblet, took it and retreated to a nearby chair. She took a sip of the liquor, then smiled at the assembled group. "It's so difficult listening through a door. Pray tell me, what, exactly, did my lover offer for me besides that rediculously huge finger adornment?"

"Nothing that I am going to accept," Lady Violet stormed.

LADYVIOLET2.jpg

Dauphin remained focused on aristocrats as door opened. To his thinking, it was more than likely Preston or another of his station returning and if not, Christophe was near to rectify any other doings. The sounding of voice clarified quickly that it was none such and he turned without hurry to train on vocal origin. It was another type of smile that fought to gain ground for the world to see and lover's comment was just as he would have imagined her concocting under given circumstance.

Immediately the drawing of battle lines ensued, the shrill conjuring slight raise of brow from Gitan Princeling and a narrowing of eye from French companion. Lord Cunningham's statement went half noticed as Sabastian followed "Alexandra's" movements and vocalizations with the attentiveness of side line audience to vorpal fencing match. In his thinkings, it appeared that the advantage swayed with pendulum motion, never quite settling favor on one or the other as opponents squared firm....Or so it would seem until bold movement of crystal capture and the words that were flung with precision, doing well to heighten Violet's color as retort was let fly.

In times such as this, a wise man stays clear of feminine melee; biding his own until things seem to be turning for the worse and the possibility of blood letting might occur…And even then it is sometimes best to steer clear until one, the other, or both are down. Such silent understanding and accord was shared betwixt male witnesses. Could it be called cowardice? Far from it. Rather an intelligent choice of self preservation...

Or perhaps idle amusement.

ClaudeDuval.jpg