Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

Ioan was bored with his latest whore. She lay snoring beside him, passed out from the gin she'd gussled the previous night. Ioan hated gin, but since nothing else was on offer, he'd drank it anyway. Now his head was pounding and her snoring was loud as cannon fire.

He rolled out of the rumpled bed and stumbled outside, releaving himself in the squalid yard. It was just dawn, and toward the bay, about a mile off, winked the lights of Port Royal. In the trees around the small cottage, birds awoke, as did the insects — a buzzing and chattering that echoed in his throbbing brain.

And in the distance, standing within the shadows of the trees, was a man. Ioan couldn't tell which crew member it was, but there was always someone from the Rakehell watching him. Always. It was beginning to drive him mad.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was Polish, tall, thin, and lanky. Croaker was but an alias for what Lilly did not feel at present the right to ask. His carriage though, his over all look, spoke volumes as to his past and it surely had been a good one up to a point. She wondered only briefly why and how someone of his class, had arrived in such a dismal location as Port Royal.

Lilly watched him as he made his way about his office, trying to understand his broken English as best she could. She had explained her lover's hurts and found herself almost in tears as she tried to explain that the damage done had caused him to say things she knew he could not have meant.

"Could he?" she whispered aloud, wiping her nose with the back of her hand. The doctor paused in another crossing of the room and looked at her. He shrugged before he continued in motion.

"I know not," he answered, not realizing the question was never intended to be truly directed at him. "Perhaps if I knew tese captain better I vould be a better judge of such things."

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Sterling waited, making promises under his breath to God, to change his behavior, if this once, things would unfold with the success he had enjoyed so when he was younger. But the waiting seemed to increase and his shallow promises now echoed back in his mind, ridiculing him for believing that God would indulge in such deceitful practices. And the head wound, he had troubled all the while for a purpose, now bled freely, running down into his face as scalp injuries were so want to do. If the guard refused to do as he asked, he had only now made matters worse for himself. He wiped the flow with the end of his sleeve, now wishing he had thought all this through a second time. But his sigh caught in his throat as he heard the key placed in the outer lock and with a stern whisper of caution, the door to his cell slowly opened.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Her visit with the physic was informative, but brief. She did not wish to linger too long fearing that she would be found out. Croaker managed some instruction for her and handed her a list of items which to use.

She thanked him with word and coin, but stated that she may be in need of his instruction if her lover did not improve. With a nod, Croaker agreed.

Once again, Lilly tottered down the cobblestone street in the guise of the old hag. Muttering to herself; as the aged do, discouraging any encounter from those who may seek coin or company while in route back to the jail.

Member of "The Forsaken"

Sterling quickly ran his fingers through blond locks now turned dullish brown from filth and blood, and bound it all back into a disheveled que. The guard’s hat was cast aside and bayonet reclaimed. It had been easier than he had reckoned upon, especially after he thought all lost.

He had risen to his feet so rapidly when the other man approached him, the cell reeled drunkenly about him and he believed he was going to pass out. Obviously the guard had believed along the same lines and went to his aid. It had been all too convenient after that. The bayonet had been the easiest weapon to draw and he found himself with guard in his grasp and the triangular blade pressed hard against the stunned man’s throat. Clothes had been exchanged, the guard bound with the linen bandages he had brought, and now all that remained was to get past the others. Sterling took a deep breath, the room still spun about him and he struggled with the need to be sick to his stomach. He knelt down besides the other man.

“Sorry I am,” he whispered as he placed the tip of the weapon against the guard’s side. “I am assured by my Gunner,” he continued. “That as long as ye keep this from festering, ye shall be all right and yer mates will think ye done yer job to the best of yer means.” He turned the bayonet upward and pressed it home. The guard squirmed in Sterling’s hold, his mouth bound against his cries. Weapon was withdrawn and allowed to clatter to the cell floor. Sterling straightened again, blood still running freely from his own wound, he pressed his hand to the bloodied,left side of his face, concealing the tell tale scar and staggered out into the hall. Heavy door was forced closed and locked. Keys were pocketed in slightly oversized coat and he yelled out the alarm. He moved quickly toward the sound of running feet, head down, until the first of the guards made contact. He was seized and glanced over hastily then came the questions.

“Trouble,” was all he whispered and then he was pushed aside and ordered to the surgeon. The others ran past him, disappearing down into the bowls of the prison. Each time he was moved further away from his captivity. Each time he was ordered to the surgeon, until soon, he found himself leaving Marshallsea prison in broad daylight. His problem now being, he had no idea where he could go.

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Having just made her neice comfortable in fine four-poster bed dressed in linen sheets and a silk counterpane, Lady Violet was startled by the abrupt entrance into the quiet room of her husband, Albert.

"Violet, there are some very scruffy men in our parlor," Albert said, clearly distressed.

"They are sailors, dear."

"Why are there scruffy sailors in our parlor?"

"They are aquaintances of my niece."

Albert peered at the sleeping form in the bed, shrugged, then turned his attention back to his wife. "What am I supposed to do with them?"

"I suggest you send them to the kitchen for some food, then find a place for them to sleep." Violet said.

"Sleep!" Alberts eyebrows shot up "Surely they are not staying? Why aren't they sleeping on their ship?"

"I belive it is being careened at the moment."

"Well then, why can't they stay in town? Good God, Violet, I'm sure one is Italian. He was singing some aria or other. Did you know sailors sang arias? I'm sure I didn't."

Violet took a deep breath, and counted to ten. "That would be Ludo, I believe. Really, Albert, I don't know why you are so upset. Other than a good scrubbing, they seem to be fairly decent men. Have one of the servants set some cots up in the stable. They will be coming and going at odd hours, so the stable will be best."

"Coming and going?" Albert pushed out his chest, and fisted his hands on his hips. "Violet Cunningham, what on earth is going on?"

Violet patted him on one flushed cheek. "Come, dear. Let us go have a nice glass of Irish whiskey, and I'll tell you all about it."

LADYVIOLET2.jpg

Lilly continued her progress toward Marshallsea prison. Remaining in character, she kept to herself until she noticed that others, about her, were stirring into action and their attention was focusing upon the gaol.

Old head raised and she straightened as she too now watched in surprise as the alarm sounded and the prison began to convulse into pandemonium. Suddenly others were rushing past her to gain advantage in the viewing. One man in particular, dressed chiefly in black, nearly forced her to the ground as he collided with the actress, and then continued on without so much as a by your leave. Lilly was about to admonish him, but bit her tongue when she realized she knew him. Darnely's man.

She quickly turned about and retraced her steps, trying to lose herself in the ever growing crowd. It was the second man who assaulted her that she let fly her verbal reprimand upon even forgetting to change her tone and accent. This man halted abruptly and turned to look at her and Lilly, realizing her mistake, immediately fell back into her hag's speech but stopped as she looked into the man's bloodied face. He was badly hurt and for a second her heart went out to him.

"Can I help you?" she asked, approaching him.

"You!" came the man's reply. The next thing Lilly knew, was his hand was covering her mouth and he was dragging her off with him back the way she had come.

Member of "The Forsaken"

Sterling was out and continued to move as quickly as his body would allow him. At one point he had stopped and turned the red coat inside out before putting it back on, the plain linen lining no longer causing him to stand out. With one hand he pulled the garment tightly about him, the other he kept close to his face.

As his stomach continued to turn cartwheels, the world continued to spin more furiously about him. He needed to make the beach but he knew in his current state he would be dead before he succeeded in such an effort. His only hope was to reach Nelly Greene's, the only place close enough that might offer him a moment of comfort, safety and most importantly help. He would lay low there until evening. He quickly wiped the blood from his good eye and tried to right his course, before ducking over and heading off again.

He pushed his way through the crowds, like a fish fighting to move upstream against the current. Avoiding people was nearly impossible and finally he felt himself slam into some unfortunate being. He tried to continue but her voice as she berated him was all too familiar. He turned, hands lowering as good eye tried to focus on the old creature whom he had trodden upon and he actually recognized her.

"You!!"

"Joh..." his name was silenced as he brought his hand down hard over her mouth to shut her up and then hurried off, dragging the actress with him.

He found himself repeating the orders to "come along", his vision growing worse, forcing him to stop several times to get his bearings. No one paid the slightest attention to the couple and he knew as long as he could keep Lilly quiet they might make their destination.

But by the time they reached Nelly's home, it was the actress who was practically carrying him. Wiping her bloody hands upon her apron, she led him in through the back door, and hurriedly locked themselves inside. She turned in time to hush Sally and watched, stunned, as Nelly Greene, silken skirts gathered in her delicate hands, ran down the stairs. The other woman crossed the distance between them quickly and with tears in her eyes, threw her arms about Sterling's neck and kissed him.

"Oh thank God, you will be safe now," Lilly heard the blond woman whisper as the actress stood to the side, seemingly forgotten.

Edited by Capt. Sterling

Crewe of the Archangel

As Lilly watched Nelly quickly take the Captain's hand, she quickly cleared her throat to beg attention.

With a second glance Nelly looked up from her ailing Captain.

"It would be best if we hid him. There be men looking for him."

Lilly looked over at her Captain sitting as he tried to catch his breath. It was a swallow sound that raise from his lungs.

Lilly quickly grabbed a clean apron from Nelly's serving maid. "I will get help. You just keep him hid and quiet. I'll be back soon. Let no one in but myself. Do you hear me?"

Member of "The Forsaken"

Sally listened as Lilly whispered her instructions but before she replied she glanced toward her mistress for her approval. Nelly, already carefully inspecting the bloody head wound, nodded in agreement before Sally nodded, in turn, to the actress.

"Come along Captain," Nell coaxed softly. "The daybed has been readied for you, just awaiting your return." She took his hand gently and tried to guide him to his feet but he swayed dangerously as she did. Nelly looked sternly at Lilly.

"Hold a moment. I need your help. Sally and I will never manage on our own if he collapses."

On some unconscious level, survival instinct noted the presence of another and worked to lift the veils of sleep from that which it guarded. Senses of hearing and scent reached outward from four poster citadel; smell retrieving the smallish muskiness of natural odor combined with wool; ears deciphering the hushed brush of sole on carpet... the rustle of page turn. Carefully, as not to disturb the facade of sleep mimic, one hand traveled under the soft passages of bed cloth and found the contrast of cold steel and wooden curve. Sleeping dog of war was procured from pillow's coverage and position adjusted to proper posture under linen tenting.

Heart rhythm increased its pacing, breathing kept in slow counter of the former. The swell of sleep laden eye lid retreated to crack and sight, in semi-hazed fashion, joined the decipher of cousined inquiries. The chamber's dim was pushed back from table's head near hearth; the darkness compeating with struggle of single candle glow; high-backed chair offering further hindrance to investigation. Nevertheless, profile of one lanky leg balanced crosswise over the support of matched knee showed as silhouette to the viewing and Sabastian eased himself into more upright position; holding silent hound at arm's length.

The voice played just above whisper, its' nuances shot through with chill,

"Lay tha' to the side, Child..."

Dauphin exhaled slowly the breath he had kept in lung prison; roused hound laid to velvet cover on bed's uneven landscape. Voice continued, its' bearer remaining in half hidden posture within chair's confine. "English Seabird has flown from Hell's stony cage..."

Sabastian's feet found the flooring below, steps taken forward and halting at the half distance betwixt. Bemusement glossed one word query...."Comment..?!"

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

“Five and Twenty Ponies, Trotting thru’ the Dark.

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Nelly’s stern countenance softened as she looked from Lilly to Sterling. Delicate hand reached out to take his and then support was given to help the captain to his feet. She had been correct in her assumptions as Sterling swayed precariously as he settled upon his feet. Nelly swiftly captured him about his waist, Sally coming immediately to her mistress’s assistance and Lilly was awarded with a second harsh glance from the blond woman.

“What are you waiting for?” her whisper just as harsh. “Or would you rather see him crumble upon the kitchen floor? I would think seeing him in that damn cell would be enough to convince you otherwise! Pray, do lend us your aid!”

Already in route to Marshallsea prison, Pinon hastened his steps as people about him began to stream toward the same destination. Dark hair prickled upon the back of his neck as a sick feeling laid siege to his gut. Something was not right. The tall figure broke into a run, colliding with more than one ridiculous person, who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. With senses reeling, he never saw the wounded guard step past him, nor could he spare a second to tell the old hag to mind her place, which, to him, twas her own fault for blocking his path.

By the time he entered the main gate, soldiers were already retreating back to the yard. Confusion abounded. No one could tell what had happened or why one of their own had been hurt. None could find the injured party and worse, no one could explain what he had meant by “Trouble.” Upon all inspection, Marshallsea prison life was no different from any other day.

“WHAT are you telling me?!” Pinon exploded as black, gloved hand slammed palm down upon the table. The officer of the watch flinched in his seat as the sound seemed to rebound about the guard room.

“Exactly that Mr. Pinon. Absolutely nothing is amiss,” came a wooden reply.

Ice blue eyes hardened as they set upon the officer.

“Take me to him! I wish to see Captain Sterling for myself! Now!”

“But of course. You have never been denied access to the man. You know that well enough. But I assure you, sir, nothing is wrong.”

Lilly bit her tongue and held her silence as she quickly took to the Captain’s side. It was not the words from Nelly that stung so much but the condescending looks she continued to give her as she helped the Captain stumble down the hallway to his appointed room. As they finally reached the room, Nelly stepped aside as Sally and Lilly laid him upon the bed.

His face now pale and his breathing shallow. Lilly once again begged her plea for help. “I must fetch doctor. As you can see, he is badly hurt. Let me leave and I shall be back within the hour!” Nelly was about to speak when Captain Sterling quickly grabbed Lilly’s hand. “Wait.” He whispered. “No Lilly ...stay with me... the beach..."

Member of "The Forsaken"

Nelly seemed unruffled by Sterling's request, but to think it did not irk her would be to underestimate. She eased herself down upon the daybed next to him. Well versed fingers began gently to coax the stock from around his throat.

"She will certainly stay if you wish it so Captain. We would not have it any other way. I shall send Sally for the doctor. Lilly can fetch you some thing to eat," she said, her tone as soft as silk. Delicate hand reached to cradle battered skull and lift it ever so gently as stock was passed from around the captain's throat. Linen was then turned to other task, as Nelly carefully began to wipe the blood from Sterling's face. He shifted and glanced up at the woman beside him. Good eye trying to work, his vision blurring.

"Nell?" he whispered.

"Yes tis I, my love," she cooed. "Rest easy, some one will be here to tend you in no time."

With a worried look, Lilly glanced over at Sally. It was then her mind began to race with questions and concerns.

"Sally would not know whom to fetch in circumstances such as this?’ Then the overwhelming thought of dismay set in. "Why, Sally would surely bring back someone that would raise the alarm."

Lilly watched Nelly ply her charms on the half-dead Captain. Why did she not do something? Why did she not dash for the door or strike out at the blonde-haired witch, who now was in control of the situation? Once again, she said nothing…yet waited for her Captain to instruct his request.

Member of "The Forsaken"

Nelly tenderly placed her hand against the captain's cheek as he stirred.

"No John, rest easy," Nelly whispered. She leaned down and placed a soft kiss upon his lips, silencing him. She stood, and grabbed Lilly by the arm and lead her out into the hall. Blue eyes sparked with annoyance as she looked at the actress.

"Easy enough then Mistress McKinney, just tell the girl who she needs to fetch. Sally was born and raised in Port Royal, she knows her way about its streets a far sight better than you do! Or would you rather he bleeds to death if you manage to lose yourself? Sally would never betray him, not knowing how I feel about him. Now, Captain Sterling needs something simple to eat. God only knows when he ate last or even what slop he has been served. Surely you can manage that!" she added in a whisper.

Sorrel came upon democratic decision of one to peruse garden's edge and sample sweet flora that crept over stone wall. Devon cocked brow smallish, exhaling with minor annoyance at further hold up.

"Oh! Now there ye go," he chidded in hushed tones. "Tis gettin' bleedin' hotter than the fourt' ring o' hell itself an' ye take it upon yer ownself to have a round o' sweet not'ins...."

celticcross.jpg

What more diversion can a man desire than to sit him down near a warm turf fire; Upon his knee a pretty wench and on the table a jug of punch... Irish Traditional Song

"And when I vest my flashing sword And my hand takes hold in judgement I will take vengeance upon mine enemies And I will repay those who hase me O Lord, raise me to Thy right hand And count me among Thy saints ." Boondock Saints

"Very well. I shall do as you request, but only for the Captain's sake. " Lilly pulled her arm away from Nelly's clutches. "I will see to his meal and send Sally for the doctor. I will instruct her on who to ask for."

As Lilly passed the doorway of the bedroom she glanced in once more to see her Captain now in relax state and sleeping.

Nelly motioned Sally to follow Lilly down the hall to the kitchen.

Member of "The Forsaken"

"Imbeciles!" Pinon stormed.

Icy glare flew from the true guard that lay bound at his feet to the officer that had unlocked Sterling's cell.

"He could be miles from here by now! You have wasted precious time!!" The tall figure glanced once more at the cell's current captive, before he pushed past the others around him. Fingers seized the throat of the officer.

"Not another second must be lost! Find him! Start with his relations! If he goes any where for help it will be to them. I want solders at every Devareaux hiding place!! Search him out and bring him back or so help me even Modyford won't be able to save your sorry hide!!"

After Lady Violet had spent a tedious half an hour explaining to her husband just why a half dozen sailors needed to take up residence in the Trade Winds stable, she returned to check on her sleeping niece.

The woman was still asleep, so taking advantage of the opportunity, and having no scruples whatsoever, Violet went to the chair where her neice's clothes had been piled in a heap by the servants who had undressed her, and searched them.

She wasn't sure what she was looking for, but turned up a nasty looking daggar, a small money pouch with a few coins of mixed origin, a necklace of green beads with some kind of pendant celtic medalion, and a small striking box. And a key.

Violet examined the key, thinking it looked very much like the one to her favorite room at the Royal Grace. Then, with a frown, she remembered the unpleasant encounter on the stairs of that establishment, and the arrogant man who had been standing behind her neice, saying nothing. With a gleam of triumph in her gray eyes, Lady Violet pocketed the key.

LADYVIOLET2.jpg

Closing the distance, Dauphin tugged absent-mindedly to snug the drawstring keeping small clothes about his hips. Childermass inclined chin a degree and watched silently as seating opposite was obtained. Sabastian settled, reaching for decanter near lamp's glow and filled accompanying goblet. Deep breath was drawn and released before draught was taken and vessel set to rest; youthful brow pinched to the menagerie of thoughts bombarding mental corridors.

"How is such a thing possible?! You said it could be done but at greatened risk..." Words drifted to silence as he sunk into deep contemplations.

"Tis a truth tha' I am unawares of the how....It occurred after I had left, but I was near when the happenings came forth."

Sabastian nodded, his eyes were far away, "He has to be found..."

"An easy task, child."

Rom's attention immediately drew to center; dark eyes studying paler pools which flickered with lamp's reflection. Realization crept to the forefront, punctuated with half-question, half-statement.

"Vous savez où il est...."

Secretive smile spread slowly over scarred features, the response in near whispered chill, "Oui, je fais."

Deep breath was drawn again.

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

“Five and Twenty Ponies, Trotting thru’ the Dark.

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Lilly knocked softly upon the make-shift bedroom door before she opened it slowly. There, finally resting, she found Captain Sterling sound asleep. Glancing down at him she was still concerned that his color was off – his face was still pale and waxen.

As she placed the tray by the bed, the Captain’s eyes opened.

“Oh I am sorry, Captain, I did not wish to wake you,” Lilly whispered softly.

The Captain rubbed his eyes and turned slightly, only to wince in pain from the injuries acquired and which he had purposely aggravated to ease his escape.

“No, Mistress, twas the smell of that fine meal and bread that drew mine attention. Tis little I have eaten in many a day.”

“It be a Lamb pye. I know you fancy it.” She said as she helped him with a glass of wine.

Member of "The Forsaken"

The dreams continued, chaotic, confusing, and frightening. I felt as if a weight lay heavy on my body, and no amount of struggle freed me. I continued to fight, as if my very life depended on it. With a moan, I woke...fearing I was in hell.

The weight on my body was a heavy silk counterpane. Over my head was a canopy draped in more silk. On the pale gray walls were paintings in heavy gilt frames. Against the wall was a fine rosewood vanity cluttered with cut-glass vials, and a silver backed comb and brush.

I closed my eyes and groaned, not with pain but with frustration. I was in a place worse than hell. I was at Trade Winds, and the devil, in the form of my Aunt, hovered nearby.

"Please, just shoot me," I begged.

The devil merely smiled.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

“Shh, be still, I will help you,” she chided gently. “Twill only start the bleeding up again if you move about too much. There is but little I or Mistress Greene can do but to clean the wounds and give you something to help build back up your strength.”

Sterling allowed her then to assist him, feeling like a helpless child even if he did manage to make his own way out into the free world once more. He watched her, still dressed in her hag’s garments and face paint. She was tender with him, soft spoken, as pie’s crust was coaxed open with one of Nelly Greene’s pewter spoons. Groggily he recalled other times when she had been so and he was surprised at how much he still longed for such.

He looked away then hoping to change the direction of his mind and hazy glance roamed over the room‘s interior, all too familiar to him, and soon he found himself wondering how he had even managed to get to where he now found himself. He lifted his head slightly from the embrace of silk pillow casings, eyes closing tightly in grimace, as first offering was brought to his lips. Still despite the discomfort, the small spoonful, tasted far superior to many a feast that he could remember.

“Slowly Captain, I know you are hungry,” Lilly scolded once again. He refrained from nodding in reply and allowed her to continue to feed him, good eye, now, never leaving her face. If he had felt better he would have marveled that his lover and the old hag were one in the same.

“I have sent Mistress Greene’s maid for the doctor. You are in much need of mending. And then I think it best you remain here and rest as long as it is safe.”

“Sally has gone then?” he finally spoke. Pewter spoon hesitated minutely in its travels, as Lilly wondered just how intimate he had come to be with Nelly Greene’s household.

“She will return with haste, I hope,” Lilly answered as she shifted in her seat to exchange meal for drink. Before she could, she felt his hand upon her arm and she resumed her proper seat to look down upon him.

“Lilly,” he whispered. “Thank ye. Ye put yerself at great risk to help me. I do not deserve such from ye. Still, know that I am grateful.”

Crewe of the Archangel