Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

As Sally drew near the bed chamber, she was amazed to see so many about at such a late hour...not to mention the clan of the Smugglers in her Mistress' own house.

Sally stood there in the hall looking at the men who now seem to have drawn their attentions to her. "Mistress?" She whispered in a fearful tone. "What is this?" "Why are these men here in your home?"

Nelly soon made her way to the edge of the room looking out to find her servant girl surrounded by the rouges.

"Mistress," Again Sally whispered as her Mistress drew near. "I do not understand. Why? Why have you let the likes of these men into your home? I thought your dislike for the Deveroux Clan still festered in your heart?" Sally's eyes darted back and forth between her Mistress and the men that stood between her.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a low chuckle, Africa whispered, "Glad to have you back, Ma'am." Then he slipped from the room.

After he'd gone, I paused, mumbling, "I wonder what the old harriden did with my clothes and weapons?"

Lady Violet waited until the big black man had gone, then entered her niece's room.

"If you're looking for your clothes, you won't find them. By rights, I should have ordered them burned, considering thier condition. However, they are merely waiting to be washed. If you wish to escape, you'll have to do it in your nightshift."

The girl turned, and Violet swore she heard a growl.

"You brought this on yourself, you know" Violet went on. "And you can put leaving Trade Winds right out of your mind. Your men will be stopped."

The girl stepped closer. "Don't harm any of them. They were just following my orders."

Violet waved an arm dripping with expensive lace. "We were prepared for just such a stunt as this. Resign yourself to it, my girl. You are staying here until you are well. If you wish to keep the peace, and insure that your men are not harmed or shot, then desist in any more attempts to escape."

There was silence for a moment, then her niece returned to the bed, slipped under the coverlets, then remarked dryly, "Can I at least expect a little bread and water during my incarceration?"

"Oh," Lady Violet purred, "I think we can do a little better than that, provided your behave yourself."

LADYVIOLET2.jpg

Devon slyed a glance to Footman, commenting under breath, "There it goes, lad...The lass has lumped ye in with our lot."

The Trio watched Sally's fluster and Mistress' approach with controlled curiosity, but the comments regarding stature and affiliations drew Irishman's irritation, "The likes o' us? Is tha' the way o' it, gerl? Are we too base fer yer taste to draw hasty judgments?" Brows arched in challenge. Turning away, Devon moved to stairway access calling over shoulder as first step downward was reached. "I see yer a fine one to prove yerself to be like yer countrymen." Railing was clasped for support, "Tis no concern o' are own, Seth...Why should I be wastin' malady's cure on the likes o' those tha' look upon our own selves as wee more than dogs..."

Childermass kept his thoughts private as companion found footing on the ground floor and turned towards foyer. In the distance doorway opened then closed with harsh intent. Seth turned back to face Nelly and Sally, expression neutral though a glint played pale pools of sight as address was given to Mistress.

"The lad has a cure to angst in his possession. His Mum had a gift for healing and it was passed down...." Attention drifted away then snapped back, centering on Sally with raptor finite, "The transgress is yers to own an' yers to settle..." He pivoted, following slowly in Devon's wake.

Wraith’s words drifted behind as downward progress was made.

"The choice is yers, child...Life or not….The pendulum swings. "

celticcross.jpg

What more diversion can a man desire than to sit him down near a warm turf fire; Upon his knee a pretty wench and on the table a jug of punch... Irish Traditional Song

"And when I vest my flashing sword And my hand takes hold in judgement I will take vengeance upon mine enemies And I will repay those who hase me O Lord, raise me to Thy right hand And count me among Thy saints ." Boondock Saints

“Strange man that young fellow,” Nelly said, her gaze following after Burke as he went downstairs. “He would allow a man to die, who has done him no hurt, because Sally does not wish to have him court her and is trying to protect her mistress from men who have come into her house uninvited. Or is it because the Captain was born English?“ She added, looking directly at Seth Childermass . “Tell me, why is it that men constantly hold other men accountable for something they have no control over. I most likely have spent more time with Captain Sterling than that young man has.”

Seth paused mid-step, seeming to consider Mistress' wordings, " I am English, Madame an' I judge a man...or woman, fer tha' matter by tha' which they present." He turned, laying hands upon banister's burnished surface and cocked head a tad to the left as he continued, "Tis in yer thinkin' tha' men are the only one's to make said mistakes? I have seen many things in many lands tha' would give evidence to the fairer sex being just as blind...Just as ruthless, if no' more so."

Pale sights captured her own of richer hue, "Perhaps somthin' as simple as apology will cure the hurt..." Seth's center traveled to Sally briefly, then motion was set into former intent; steps taken slowly downward.

"Ye of all should be well aware the fragility of a gentlman's pride, Mistress..."

celticcross.jpg

What more diversion can a man desire than to sit him down near a warm turf fire; Upon his knee a pretty wench and on the table a jug of punch... Irish Traditional Song

"And when I vest my flashing sword And my hand takes hold in judgement I will take vengeance upon mine enemies And I will repay those who hase me O Lord, raise me to Thy right hand And count me among Thy saints ." Boondock Saints

“No…” voice sounded weakly from bed chamber. “I think not. If Sally were doing her duty, why then should she be the one to apologize?”

Nelly gave a start at the sounding of Sterling’s voice. She looked briefly after Childermass before turning and hurrying back to the captain’s side.

He had calmed, all but his chest which still rose and fell sharply due to the unexpected attack. If he had looked worn before, he looked even worse now. Nelly collected his hand in hers, slipping past Lilly McKinney and the doctor.

“Do not apologize,” he said weakly again. “I am tired of apologizing because of something someone else has done in the past. I am grateful for the concern that prompted the breaking and entering of your home, Nell, but still tis not the proper way of doing things. There were no need to give you a fright, nor to set the house in an uproar. Burke can keep his cure and throw that first stone if he likes."

He closed his eyes, still trying to catch his breath. Croaker moved closer and looked him over again before pressing a pair of shears into Nelly's hand.

"Cut his hair," the doctor said. "It may help relieve the fever."

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Seth continued into the sanctuary of midnight garden and found comrade perched upon wall border. Leaning lank frame against stone fortitude he waited without comment while dwellers of night time realm created synphoney and fugue. Devon glanced sidelong, fully prepared to take Childermass' scolding that was sure to come...But did not. Silence hung heavy betwixt and between, a thing that began stirring discomfort in the younger's inner being and came to end with simple statement...

"Ye have to be the better man...Tis events as this tha' define us in the end..."

celticcross.jpg

Lilly allowed Nelly Greene to take the place beside the captain. There was too much going on that was not, by any means, a benefit to the wounded man, for her to make a fuss over who should tend him and hold his hand of all things.

She had watched, horrified, as Sterling had thrashed violently about the bed, Croaker trying to hold him as still as possible and keep him from being a further harm to himself. She had listened to the bitter feuding outside in the hall and stood, amazed that none but the doctor seemed to truly show any concern for the captain. She commenced breathing once again as Sterling's body slowed its battle and once again he lay as still as the wounds would permit. And now, her heart pained her slightly as the scissors, carefully manipulated by Greene, began to cut away her lover's hair.

She must have been staring for awhile before she realized the doctor was speaking to her.

"You must hurry to de apothecary Mistress McKinney. Make inquires as to who carries Valeriana officinalis in dese parts. It may very well help de gentleman."

Member of "The Forsaken"

“Do not apologize,” he said weakly again. “I am tired of apologizing because of something someone else has done in the past. I am grateful for the concern that prompted the breaking and entering of your home, Nell, but still tis not the proper way of doing things. There were no need to give you a fright, nor to set the house in an uproar. Burke can keep his cure and throw that first stone if he likes."

Nelly had already begun to cut his hair, before she replied to Sterling's suggestion.

"Shhh, Captain, put your mind at ease and do not fret over another man's wounded pride. I agree, that Sally was only doing what was right in order to protect me. She has always been faithful and forthright with me. I would never force her to do something she would not be comfortable with, thus she has not followed me in my profession, but this time, if this young man can be of service to you, I shall ask her to go and make her apologies. I am of a certainty that she would not wish you to suffer on her account, besides, is it not a woman's lot in this life to lower herself to raise up a man?"

"Is that what ye think?" he whispered. She withdrew the shears and looked down at him.

"There, you are right. I am as guilty as this Burke, am I not?"

"I have brought trouble to yer door... I am..." but he never finished as Nelly Greene leaned over and kissed him gently.

"No more discussion. Sally will do what she can to help you, and if the two gentlemen are obliging enough, I shall be equally grateful. I will even send round a letter of gratitude to Monsieur Devareaux for allowing them to come and tend to you. I do have a favor to ask of you though."

Sterling looked at her, his expression clearly vexed by the evening's events.

"If I am to cut all your hair away. Perhaps you would be so kind as to allow me a lock to keep?"

Night breeze lifted a degree, stirring fragrant flora to perfume the air and in near fauna beyond garden wall, mounts nickered as if playing critic to pungent scents and scene. The two remained, elder propped against inner wall support, younger sprawled on stone plateau and lazily watching flecked skies above.

"Is Sabastian aware o' the arrangments?"

"He is now..." came low reply.

Devon's brow crease at Seth's wordings, leading to further question, "An' he isna' objectin' to it...?"

Childermass inclined chin and fixed Younger with steady gaze, "He is no' easy with it."

Irishman sat up, one leg dangling wall's edge, " A fine gerl, as ever was, an' tha' fella is playin' the rounds...a right shame, fer true. Aye...A lass o' tha' caliber would keep me ownself home."

"Life has a way..."

celticcross.jpg

Like forlorn sheep, Sterling lay still whilst Nelly continued with her shearing but his attention slowly turned to Lilly McKinney as she stood listening to the doctor. From the corner of good eye, he watched the actress silently give lip service to the orders Croaker was giving her, turning the name of the concoction she was to fetch over and over until it was committed properly to memory. With a final nod, she got ready to once again venture out into the night.

Sterling watched her as she looked at him before she was willing to leave, her expression hard for even him to fathom. She was the consummate actress, so much so that he now wondered if she had ever truly loved him at all. When she continued to look on, he slowly raised one hand. Running fingertips over blond stubble, he turned full attention on the actress.

"I am certain the doctor knows what is best. Ye see, already I grow cold without it," he offered. Lilly's reaction was little of what he had expected. Her hand flew to her mouth, covering soft lips and the sob that she struggled to hide, before she ran from the room.

"Lilly! Wait!" he called after her, pushing Nelly's hand and the scissors aside and vainly endeavoring to pursue her. Futile attempt only gained him verbal abuse from Croaker, as the doctor pushed him back down.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

The sound of door opening followed by spill of muted light brought halt to garden musings. Hidden from moon's betrayal, Devon and Seth watched as darkness regained ground with door's closure; soft whisper of cloth disturbance with Lilly's departure. When confident of safe verbose, Younger leaned forward to Elder's ear, "Tis a strange bit tha'...Why would they be sendin' a wan alone into the night. To me own thinkin's if errand be run, they would send Reagan..."

celticcross.jpg

Semblance of frown insisted on tugging the corner of Sally's pretty mouth downward, but nod of consent was given any way.

"If you wish Mistress," maid said, not able to contain the sigh that escaped with soft breath.

Nelly placed comforting hand upon the younger girl's shoulder.

"I would not ask you if circumstances were different Sally," Nelly whispered.

Again nod of consent was offered.

"Yes Mistress I understand. As long as you understand that I did it for your sake."

"Yes, I know," Nelly replied, as one hand softly smoothed Sally's cheek. "And I am grateful. And I am even more so for what you are about to do."

"Aye Mistress," Sally said and dipped in curtsy. Nelly stepped aside then, making path for servant to tread. She watched as the young girl hurried down the stairs, straighting to her full height, and squaring her shoulders before, deep breath was taken and she exited the house.

Robe was pulled snuggly about form to ward of night's chill as well as hide from view anything Sally did not wish to share. The gentleman, reputed gentleman she reminded herself, she found lounging on her mistress's garden wall. No respect for any but themselves, she thought to herself. Another deep breath was taken, struggling to keep her temper and tongue in check. The sooner this was accomplished, the sooner her Mistress's captain could receive the necessary care he needed and then, all the sooner she could see these two off her Mistress's property.

Sally came to a halt beside the elder of the two. As he looked upon her, she could not help but side step away from him as the younger leapt down from the wall.

"I feel the need to make my apologizes to you for my behavior earlier. I am sorry and I beg your forgiveness," she said, her voice calm and certain, her eyes boldly making contact with Burke's. She curtsied then and turned heading quickly back to the house.

Trilby was in a foul mood. Mainly due to the fact that, just before dusk, six armed guards from the prison had arrived at his door, and demanded to search the place.

"The deevil ye will!" he'd protested. "This place has been searched tae death lately. Go buggar someone else."

They had pushed him aside and entered his house. When Trilby had asked what they were looking for, rather than answer the question, they had demanded to know if a man had been brought to him for treatment of injuries.

Trilby had fumed, "How many times must I tell people, I'm nae a doctor!"

The guards had stomped through every room, and in their zeal to catch whoever it was they were looking for, broke three beakers, tipped over a small table, scattering the bird bones which had been in a bowl, made rude remarks about the anatomy charts on the walls, helped themselves to a newly baked loaf of bread, frightened Souris and Cleopatra to death, and then left as rudely as they had entered.

Rushing to the rooftop patio, Trilby had tossed a slops pot over the side at the invaders, splashing the leggings of the last man in line. "And nae come back, ye filth!"

HerbalBookPage.jpg

"Bloody hell!" Conner muttered as waste deposited over the side of recently vacated building, hit the ground all too close for personal comfort. He glanced up at the irate Scotsman. "Have a care you old fool! The man we are searching for is dangerous! Would you want that we were to leave you to your own care if he were about your abode?"

He glared down at the spattered gaiters of one of his men before focus was once more redirected upward.

"I'll wager there are only so many chamber pots you can claim for your defense and you have just wasted one on those that are only doing their duty and trying to protect your like!"

"Old fool, am I? And I canna say who is worse, you and yon bully boys thrashing through mae house, or this dangerous man ye canna seem tae find. Turn up at mae door again, and I'll toss more than slops onta your head!"

Trilby leaned over the half-wall even further, shaking his fist at the men below. "I've been in the wars. I know Greek fire. I know boiling oil. Ye should be lucky twas only slops ye had tae deal with!"

HerbalBookPage.jpg

Fine nose wrinkled unbecomingly on Conner's handsome face as foul stench scented nostrils.

"Ugh... haggis!" the Major muttered. "Move along lads and make haste before you all stink of his remains."

But last man was stopped as gloved hand came sharply down upon his shoulder. Conner reached into inward coat pocket and fished out several coins. "Here, give this to the old fellow for the damages you and the others have done. Next house, take care, or it will come out of your own pay!"

"I feel the need to make my apologizes to you for my behavior earlier. I am sorry and I beg your forgiveness," she said, her voice calm and certain, her eyes boldly making contact with Burke's. She curtsied then and turned heading quickly back to the house.

Devon had intention of removing his hat respectfully, but the interchange, or rather lack there of, did not permit time to do so. As quickly as Sally had arrived, so she had quickly departed; leaving confusion in her wake as she barreled forth in hastened retreat. He opened his mouth to say something, but decided quick pursuit was the better choice.

Rapidly overcoming her and side stepping around, Burke came to halt with minute slide just ahead of domicile's garden entrance. Once again, with success, he reached for hat and doffed it with smallish bow. Sally's chin jutted with hint of defiance, daring steady eye contact. Hat was replaced and he moved to the porch and opened the door. With hushed speech, Devon addressed her, "Ne'er beg fer anyt'in', lass....Be it fergivness or any other thin'..."

Moving around where she stood, Irish Son touched the brim of well-worn hat, slying a glance as he passed and returned towards where Childermass remained.

celticcross.jpg

Lilly soon made her way down the hollow cobblestone streets; past the docks on the other side of Port Royal to where the apothecary, Croaker mentioned, could be found. According to the doctor, she could obtain the herb, which would make her lover better, only there.

As she turned the corner and made her way through a narrow alley, Lilly soon discovered that she had visited this place once before.

"Oh no!" She whispered aloud as she looked up at the door of the home. There, next to the entrance was the very same apothecary sign that she remembered seeing once before; "Professor Angus Trilby, Apothecary."

"Shite."

With a deep sigh she stepped forward and knocked on the door.

Member of "The Forsaken"

With hushed speech, Devon addressed her, "Ne'er beg fer anyt'in', lass....Be it fergivness or any other thin'..."

Sally passed through open portal and said thank you. The word difficult to utter under the circumstances and yet she had managed to do so. She also managed to turn once more and call after the young man.

"Perhaps," she said. "But you'll be beggin fer mercy if'n you don't hurry now and see to my mistress's lover!"

Sally's parting words slowed then gave full stop to Devon's garden path passage. Irish temper went from hibernation state to full resurrection and his jaw set hard to keep from returning the shot over bow young woman had just delivered. Many conjectures whirled in mental halls, but all circled around his loyalties to those who had taken him in and gave provision, hearth and home to his longings.

He stared at rear portal trying to calm the boiling point that begged to be given reign and as temptation to rectify wrong swayed balance over reason, it was the touch of hand upon shoulder that stayed longing. Brushing comrade's hand away, stride of heavy soul and deep ire propelled him through garden gate and onward to where Sorrell waited in flora kingdom just beyond.

Sally's words taunted him in endless circle as stirrup was found then seat. Earlier abuse was numbed and ignored as heels dug into curved sides, sending equine into swift departure for points unknown. Childermass followed to where his own mount danced as result of other's actions, and gained saddle for direct pursuit.

Tracing youngster's bearing, he thought to himself the folly of young woman's words and further more, was she truly aware of what impact such a statement and taunt might have. Well aware of Devon's devotion regarding Sabastian and Aurore, Seth pondered deeply if the damage of Sally's challenge could be undone.

Just ahead, Sorrell changed course and reset heading for where the Fisher Folk dwelled...

celticcross.jpg

Nelly Greene made her way above stairs once again. Requested basin of cooler water temperatures was carefully carried along with several clean towels. Croaker noticed her burden upon her appearance in door way's framing and went to relieve her with all due haste.

"Thank you," she replied, her voice soft, her manners, so well practiced, still impeccable even at such a time.

Doctor's orders were simple and Nelly helped him remove Sterling's nightshirt, already drenched by fever's ravagings. Locks of hair that still loitered about pillow and bed sheets were brushed away, floating downward to floor beneath. Silken sleeves of robe were pushed upward before towel was taken and doused in cool liquid and placed with care about heated torso. Second quickly followed, though location moved upward to battered brow. Third remained fixed in delicate hand as Nelly bathed the captain's face and neck, as Croaker moved about the room throwing windows open to allow night's breeze to roam room's interior.

Eyes that had been closed now opened partially. Lids heavy with exhaustion remained semi propped as Sterling attempted to take note of what was now happening.

"I am ...tired," he whispered, the cool cloth hardly noticed. "So very, very tired."

"I have no doubt of such," Nelly remarked gently. "Surely no peace could be found in such a place from which you have come of late."

Heaviness of lids gained upper hand and soon eyes succumbed, only to open suddenly as if woken from a dream.

"I have made a muddle of my life. A wrong turn I have encountered some wheres past and I cannot seem to find my way back."

Nelly placed cloth once again into basin's contents, rung it out and brought it once again to captain's cheek.

"You must not concern yourself with such matters now," she said. "We have all lost our way at one point or another. You will find yours again, but for now you must heal and rest John. Do not trouble yourself over things that cannot be undone."

Crewe of the Archangel

Nelly continued at her task as other's eyelids sank downward further and further until once fully closed they would remain so for some time. Slender wrist touched briefly upon fevered brow as head cloth was removed to the basin for refreshing but treatement was too new to have yet produced results.

Lady's eyes strived to fill with tears at the appearance of the one that lay beside her but she blinked them away, not willing to give in. Too much was needed to be done and one did not have the time for such. She continued with her labors as Croaker paced at room's far end, striding back to bedside every now and then to study patient's countenance.

"De fracture vill cause de brain to swell dis, along vith de fever vill produce too much pressure. Such can cause de organ to malfunction and dus..." he mumbled under his breath. Nelly listened but did not contribute to the conversation for she could not tell if she were being lectured or if the doctor was going over his thoughts aloud as could be his habit.

"Ve must get dis fever to break. He must remain still... already he has done too much. He never should have been moved from de scene of de accident. Tell me vhat exactly happened?"

The sound of more pounding on his door had Trilby rushing back down the stairs. On the way through the parlor he snatched up a poker from the hearth. With poker raised for battle, he flung open the door.

"Now what, ye filth. Come back tae break more o' mae crockery?" he railed.

The guard took a step back, his expression one of alarm. "No, you old fool. I've been ordered to give you this, to pay for damages." The guard held out his hand, in which were a half dozen coins of fairly low denomination.

"As if I'd take your filthy lucre. Get ye gone from mae doorstep, ye heathan, and quit bothering a private citizen, going about his own peaceful business!"

The guard merely rolled his eyes, shrugged, and tossed the coins into the dirt at Trilby's feet. "Suit yourself, you old noddlehead." Then he trotted away to catch up with the other guards.

Trilby watched until the guard was out of sight. He looked down at the coins a moment, then bent and picked them up. "Nae use in them going tae waste, or ending up in the pockets of some street urchin." Then he closed and bolted his door against any further disturbance, and replaced the poker in the rack by the hearth.

He was just about to pour himself a nice glass of port, when there was another knock on his door. "God's bones, what now? Ye'd think mae house has become a tavern, what with all the taffic I seem tae be attracting."

He put down his glass, retrieved the poker, and unbolted and opened the door. What he saw had him looking toward heaven. "What the deevil do you want at this time o' night? Feeling peckish again?"

HerbalBookPage.jpg

Lilly’s eyes met with the old man’s. She could tell he was in no mood for any tom-foolery. She had just witnessed a scene between him and a guard. A bit fearful of the look in his eyes, she spoke softly to him.

“No, I seek a remedy for my …” She went silent for a moment. “Croaker sent me. He said that you were the only man here in Port Royal that a special herb.” She quickly handed him a piece of paper and then a gold coin. “He wished this quick. I am only the massager. A man’s life is in your hands.”

Member of "The Forsaken"