Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

“Captain, we have a visitor,” Nelly said, lowering her voice. When Sterling did not respond, fingers tightened about linen shirt and she gently shook his shoulder. Bandaged head lolled to its side to face her but nothing else. Nelly moved to kneel over him and removed the dampened cloth, now warm from fever’s heat.

“Captain?” she now whispered as fingers stroked across his brow, then combed gently through blond hair. “John wake up.”

Slender fingers pulled back, fingertips lightly coated with blood that trickled from one ear.

“John, please wake up.” Gaze remained fixed on battered form next to her but directions were now issued to Childermass. “The doctor is sleeping in the next room over. John! Fetch him! For God‘s sake, do not just stand there like an old fool! Hurry!”

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lilly had not expected that plans would ever have been laid to remove her if trouble ever occured regarding the Archangel. Still, with things as they currently were, she had not the time to even consider it, she only had time to argue that she needed to be allowed to return to town in order to see after Captain Sterling.

The Scottish captain flatly refused to let her go. He was under orders and he would obey them. It was nearly an hour's time before Lilly finally convinced them to let her have one day to make arrangements to take Sterling from Port Royal as well. The marine sat, stroking the long brown beard that graced his all too pleasing face.

"Two birds with one stone, eh? And ye be not havin us on... the captain truly has gotten himself free of Marshallsea?" he asked.

"Yes he has. I give you my word on it," Lilly said.

The second man only snorted in contempt.

"And, pray tell, what exactly is that meaning Mistress?"

Lilly bristled.

"Mr. Hazzards you forget yourself!"

"On the contrary Mistress McKinney, I recollect all of yer affairs with Captain Sterling only too well," the second mate of the Archangel stated bluntly.

"Oh you must let me return to him! Please you cannot take me tonight and leave him here alone. Tis only a matter of time before he is found out and retaken!"

The bear stood slowly to his feet.

"I shall take her back into town and see if what she says is true," he offered, holding out his arm to the lady.

"Make haste then Aluitious. I shall signal the boat to put back and come no further. Tommorrow night then, Mistress McKinney. And Heaven help ye if Captain Sterling be not with you," Hazzards said.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

“Captain, we have a visitor,” Nelly said, lowering her voice. When Sterling did not respond, fingers tightened about linen shirt and she gently shook his shoulder. Bandaged head lolled to its side to face her but nothing else. Nelly moved to kneel over him and removed the dampened cloth, now warm from fever’s heat.

“Captain?” she now whispered as fingers stroked across his brow, then combed gently through blond hair. “John wake up.”

Slender fingers pulled back, fingertips lightly coated with blood that trickled from one ear.

“John, please wake up.” Gaze remained fixed on battered form next to her but directions were now issued to Childermass. “The doctor is sleeping in the next room over. John! Fetch him! For God‘s sake, do not just stand there like an old fool! Hurry!”

Seth's eyes narrowed a degree to the shrill of her voice and strong desire to ensure its' cease was over-ridden' though the temptation of doing so was great. As Nelly's attention shifted to bed companion, Childermass drew closer, pausing within snatching distance as her endeavors to roust continued. Pale empty sights traversed what lay afore him; outward poise unruffed to the urgency tainting chamber's semi-sprawl. Reaching forward, left hand found purchase on the petit curve of her near shoulder.

"Move away, child..."

The words seemed fall upon deaf ears; scarred hand and the fingers that extended from it tightened as request was repeated in near likeness of hiss.

"Do as yer told child...and move away..."

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

“Five and Twenty Ponies, Trotting thru’ the Dark.

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Nelly did not feel the other man’s touch, not at first. Her attention remained solely focused on the man laying next to her.

“John…please!” Voice broke as she pleaded and blue eyes, now filled with tears, looked upward as the grip upon her person tightened. She almost seemed surprised to see the stranger in her room and then she shook him off and scrambled from the bed.

“Can you help him? Please,” she whispered, drawing her robe close about herself. But she did not wait for his reply, instead she hurried from the room, intent on getting Croaker herself.

Reptilian gaze centered upon liquid sapphires twined, so much richer than his of aquamarine hue. Somewhere in the rattling depths of deepest inward self, the tone of her plea flitted as cornered sparrow and struck hidden cord. His grip eased, hand retreating as he pivoted to allow her passage; her bare feet the slightest brush on rug below and retreating the way he had just traveled.

Seth reached without thought to low set lamp, bring it to heightened life and again the pale wandered the plains of inert form presented. Years of un-namable battles, half forgotten and blending together, gave catalog to maladies and redemptions. Rough surface of tentative touch measured fever, moving onward to inspect suture handiwork....

Conclusions conjuring frown over war ravaged expression.

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Nelly did not bother to knock before entering either and her flight quickly took her to Croaker’s bedside. Grace and manners had now gone to ground as she seized the doctor’s arm and shook him awake.

“Vhat? Vhat? Is dere a fire?” were the first words he mumbled that she could comprehend.

“No,” she replied.

“Oh then,” and he rolled over on his side away from her, pulling the sheet up over his head.

"No! I need you... Captain Sterling needs your attentions. Hurry now please, he will not wake up!"

Several more words in Polish stumbled from the gentleman's lips before he glanced back over his shoulder at Nelly.

"Of course not. Dis is night. People must sleep at night."

The outburst of verbal means, followed by quick footsteps above signaled to instinct caution. Devon withdrew deeper into foyer shading, eyes darting to slumbering servant in next room proxy. Low snore skipped a beat in rhythm, paused as body changed position, then resumed stronger than before. Cocking an ear, Irish Son focused intently upon the unseen above; breath held unconsciously. The near silence, disturbed by some exchange of muffled voices brought him closer to foyer / sitting room interchange and he dared quick gander to stairway climb. Features pinched briefly as lips were pursed in thought, right hand moving to coat pocket and traveling pistol's familiar grip.

celticcross.jpg

What more diversion can a man desire than to sit him down near a warm turf fire; Upon his knee a pretty wench and on the table a jug of punch... Irish Traditional Song

"And when I vest my flashing sword And my hand takes hold in judgement I will take vengeance upon mine enemies And I will repay those who hase me O Lord, raise me to Thy right hand And count me among Thy saints ." Boondock Saints

Threat of monetary loss roused doctor from his bed. He stumbled after Nelly as she made her way back to Sterling's chamber.

"Who is dat?" Croaker asked, sleep filled head nodding in direction of Childermass.

"It does not matter right now. Please see to the captain," Nelly answered, because in all honesty, she truly did not know.

Seth turned from charge at the sound of nearing footfall. From full height, he inclined chin slightly downward and glared at foreigner. Wraith-like frame pivoted full, acting as barrier to new comer's approach as pale further scrutinized the other man with baleful facet.

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Croaker straightened to full height as other man’s carriage changed to defensive posture. Cautiously he took a step forward and gaze redirected to patient. As observation was made, the doctor became more alert and facial expression took on deep concern. It was several moments before he refocused his attentions on the man that acted as barrier to his charge.

“You vill either step aside or if dere is someding you are able to assist vith, you vill concentrate on doing so,” Croaker said and dared to move closer to the bed. “Dis man has severe head injury. If his skull is fractured, as I suspect, he needs care, not you hovering over him like some guardian angel.”

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Without warning, Seth reacted with unexpected snag of the other man's throat, yanking forward and up as to meet eye to eye.

"Wer sind Sie?" he inquired in German, grip tightening with intent.

ClaudeDuval.jpg

"Mówią Język polski, nie jestem żadnego Niemiec. I jestem doktorem tego człowieka," Croaker replied correcting Childermass. He slapped off the other man's grip and walked past him.

"Now vill you help me or not?" he asked, gingerly inspecting his earlier handiwork.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Seth went to dead calm, seeming to ignore the other's verbose and action. Pale focus centered on Nelly and lingered, for the beat of three inhalations before answer was given.

"I have seen more injuries of this nature in two years than you ever shall in yer lifetime...." Attention drifted from Nelly to the door.

ClaudeDuval.jpg

"Vell then," Croaker responded. "If you are so familiar with such, vhy are you standing dere doing nothing to help?" He looked to Nelly.

"Vhere is that girl of your's? Ask her to bring me some cold water if dere is any to be found. I vant to bring down his fever and reduce de risks of de brain swelling and forcing a trepanation. I have no desire to perform such a surgery if it can be avoided."

He straigthened, wiping his hands on the front of his shirt.

"Come! Come, dis is not a social gathering! Vhy must you all stand about doing nothing??"

Crewe of the Archangel

The raise in vocal volume combined with odd dialect set Devon's deffenses on edge. It was not that he was truly worried about Companion's well being, for Seth was far from a feeble innocent; it was rather the bond of loyalty that pulsed through his being. Foyer was left behind, steps taken with care and two at a time. Reaching upper landing, he backed into shadowed corner and waited with senses reaching out to test the air.

celticcross.jpg

What more diversion can a man desire than to sit him down near a warm turf fire; Upon his knee a pretty wench and on the table a jug of punch... Irish Traditional Song

"And when I vest my flashing sword And my hand takes hold in judgement I will take vengeance upon mine enemies And I will repay those who hase me O Lord, raise me to Thy right hand And count me among Thy saints ." Boondock Saints

Lilly pointed out Nelly Greene's home to d' Dogge and indicated the bedroom window where she thought Sterling lay resting comfortably. Assured of her sincerity, the marine captain remained in the shadows and watched as she made her way safely back inside the rear garden wall, before he turned and hastily began his trek back to the beach.

Lilly hurried to get herself back within doors, anxious to make her report to Sterling and see how he was faring. As she neared the kitchen door she was surprised to find it unlocked at such an late hour and worried that perhaps Sally had gone to collect more items for the doctor.

Quickly but quietly she entered the house and began her way up the stairs. She could hear voices above demanding assistance but could not make out Sterling's at all. A strange voice added to the confusion and she gathered her skirts and ran upward. But as she approached the landing a movement in the shadows caught her eye and as she stared hard she made out the figure of a man pressing himself close to the wall. Not knowing what else to do, she let out a scream that nearly shook the house to its foundations.

Member of "The Forsaken"

Devon heard the door below open and close, crept to the edge of where wall met bannister and peered cautiously below. Seeing Lilly trek across lower expanse and adjust bearing for the stairs, he quickly retreated to former placement and hoped for the best.

The "best" was far from what occured. Darkness did not allow for actual eye contact, but the other's body language gave good indication as to what might happen. As the shrill split the night, Irishman set jaw hard and squinted to the assult...Options were few. Moving quickly, he grabbed for her, locking position....

"Tis enough o' tha' buizziness, gerl dear...No needs be fer wakin' the dead."

Down below, slumbering servant came to full awares...

celticcross.jpg

He knew better...Never fully trust a woman, unless she be yer own Ma; and that went double if she we of English origin. Nausea and pain raced each other for headway and lead; knees buckled against will and the floor was soon found. Thoughts muddled by current over ride of nerve synapsis, breath was taken in with rapidity and froze in momentary limbo as left hand reached near blind to bannister proxy. Biting down hard, Devon shook his head in attempt to clear the stars from his sight.

celticcross.jpg

Nelly's footman hurried up the stairs, pistol in hand as slumber, so rudely disturbed brought forth immediate action.

"Ah, good," Lilly verbally applauded the servant. "Do keep an eye on that one. I need to make sure everyone else is all right," she added as she made her way to the captain's room. As Lilly stepped over the limp form of downed Irishman, numerous Saints names went unnoticed by the actress.

She did not take caution as she entered the desired room and was further dismayed to see yet another stranger present.

"Will someone please explain to me what the bloody hell is going?" she asked.

Member of "The Forsaken"

Moving slowly, Devon eased himself to banister support. Blurred vision cleared slightly and the business end of footman's pistol was found to be far from a welcoming sight. The thoughts that coursed through mental alley ways would surly keep him in confession for at least a week's time...and finding a Confessor might be hard to come by in current latitudes. Finding the rail supports as bracing for his back, Cork's Native Son began to muse as to why he had not just stayed in the Family profession.

celticcross.jpg

He had tried. He heard their voices, he heard their noises but making himself respond had been in vain until the darkness enveloping him slowly began to give way. Burke's blurred vision seemed to be shared by bed's occupant and it was all Sterling could do to manage to try and raise one hand to ward off current attacker's probing fingers.

"Damnation," was produced as slurred utterance. Making himself understood was nigh on impossible. "Cannot a body get any sleep?"

Then said body went rigid, arching backward into bed's embrace as damaged brain signaled violent seizure. Jaw clenched as body proceeded to convulse sending doctor in to equally frantic attempts to restore calm.

Crewe of the Archangel

Exhaling with heavy undertones of exasperation, he meet eye contact with Nelly's subservient, "Would ye care to be pointin' tha' dimned barrel anot'er direction, Reagan." Devon shifted with care, "As I be sure ye can already hear, tha' wan is in'na other room an' no' payin' a wee bit o' attention to yer false bravados....Fek!"

Footman glanced quickly over shoulder, lowering the pistol he gave reply in lowered tones, " Sorry there, auld son..."

"Sorry?! Sorry me arse!" Was the terse retort in harsh whisper as he extended his hand, "Help me up...Tis a good strike o' fortune fer tha' lass tha' me Ma made me own self swear to ne'er rough a woman..." he winced. " Fer tis true I ne'er been so tempted to do so as now."

Reagan nodded with understanding as aid was lent to achieve proper standing. Devon opened his mouth to expound further comment, but hesitated when the lank form of Childermass appeared within near distant chamber opening. He seemed to study lackey briefly before closing the distance between.

"Can ye manage the concoction yer Mum taught ye?"

Burke frowned, "Which one ye speakin' abou'?"

"Tis the one ye gave to Sean after the fall he took weeks back."

"Aye...Bu' in me current state o' bein's, I don' have any wants ner desires to be ridin' far an' fast to fetch wha' is needed." Devon's eyes narrowed suspiciously, "An' why would such a thin' be in wants?"

Seth leaned close and gave record of what had transpired up to recent passing. Crossing arms over chest, Burke considered the factors before speaking, "An' the goin's on, I am to be castin' a blind eye an' jus' let by-gones be by-gones."

"Fer the gerl, lad."

"Aye...An' it be because o' tha' sweet one tha' I am no' too encouraged."

"Tis no' our place to judge..." Seth cautioned.

Caught betwixt rock and hard place, Devon snarled, "Bollocks, tha'!"

Childermass straightened posture saying nothing, simply watched companion with touch of disapproval painting scarred visage. The stand-off held ground for the passage of one and ten minutes before Devon broke eye contact and focused on Persian splendor under soles.

"Fine, cara...If tha' be the way o' it an' tis in yer own mind the rights. This once..." He looked hard upon comrade in arms, "Some other needs be sent fer the gatherin'...Some other needs the ways o' writing an' I'll be one to tell wha's involved."

celticcross.jpg

Soon the boisterous tones floated from the small room and down the hall to where the servant Sally laid asleep. With one voice after another making its’ way down the hall, the loud tones finally forced her awake.

Rubbing the sleep from her eyes and grabbing her robe, she slowly made it down the hallway.

It was clear that a light now burned in the Captain's room and there were more than one shadow that cast itself upon the floor. Slowly, Sally moved down the hall to take a closer look.

Member of "The Forsaken"

Reagan's attention diverted to hall's opposite end soon drawing Burke and Childermass' own to object of interest. Dim light laid caress to robe billow encompassing feminine movement.

Hint of smile tickled Devon's expression.

celticcross.jpg