Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

Devon had dismounted, realizing that the Sorrel was in no greatened haste to leave garden banquet. From dwelling enshrouded in botanical delights, the unmistakable sound of door's open and closure drifted to Irishman's hearing. Sorrel's ears pricked forward, a brief pause in chewing took place then returned with former gusto. Carefully, Cork's Native Son peeked over garden wall and with recognition of whom it was commanding door's action, a sly smile painted young features.

It was but a glance achieved before ducking down again; nevertheless, it was enough to decipher that Sally's expression was set in some form of concentration. Easing around garden wall corner, Devon focused on the whisper of petticoat and tap of shoe sole on flagstone path. The footfall sounded as though on some determined errand; a tad faster than that of leisurely stroll to market. He unconsciously held his breath as flagstone echoes gave way to softer strike of soil muffle.

Hunkering down, he moved with practiced stealth into blockade of native flora; holding his breath as she moved past seemingly unawares. With determined navigation, former thief and fisherman's son moved parallel to her chosen path; using the foliage to advantage and thanking Eire Cess for gracing him. Just ahead, greenery broke to reveal pathway turn and he quickened pace to arrive at apex paces ahead of her.

Hanging back just enough in natural cover, he watched as she passed once again. His smile widened further at the game afoot and allowed her some lead before moving out; catching up quickly and stepping around to face her. Hat was doffed expediently to her startled poise; small bow offered as token of protocol and manners.

"Good mornin' to ye, gerl. A grand one to be out on'na stroll an' might I be sayin' tha' the beauty o' the morn is paled compared to yer own fine self..."

In the near distance, Sorrel nickered with hint of question.

celticcross.jpg

What more diversion can a man desire than to sit him down near a warm turf fire; Upon his knee a pretty wench and on the table a jug of punch... Irish Traditional Song

"And when I vest my flashing sword And my hand takes hold in judgement I will take vengeance upon mine enemies And I will repay those who hase me O Lord, raise me to Thy right hand And count me among Thy saints ." Boondock Saints

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Good mornin' to ye, gerl. A grand one to be out on'na stroll an' might I be sayin' tha' the beauty o' the morn is paled compared to yer own fine self..."

Giving the Irish rogue a scowling look, Sally continued down the path toward her destination. She had no desire for his tomfoolery and she knew that her Mistress would be marking the time.

“Good day to you, Sir.” She barked her hello. It was curt, but she hoped that the hooligan understood that his attentions were not welcomed now. She quickened her pace as she found her footing now upon the cobble street. “I must hurry. My Mistress awaits my quick return. She is not well and I have been sent on an errand to fetch care for her. Now, please step aside and leave me be!”

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Devon cocked his head a hair to the left, reading her body language then side-stepped; allowing her right-of-way. She regained pace briefly, her determined stride in full swing when he called after her.

"As ye wish, gerl...." a twinkle played his eyes as hat was replaced. "Me own Ma was a bit o' a Wise Woman back in Aul Erin. Tis to me own t'inkin's tha' perhaps I should pay visit to yer Mistress an' see if I migh' be o' aid to her malady..."

With a low chuckle, he turned to regain the path recently traversed. Sharp whistle sounded; answered in turn by near distant whinney. Familiar long face gave greeting as greenery gave was to garden's wall. Foot found stirrup and seating soon followed. With a nudge to equine side, route was choosen towards more rual locals.

celticcross.jpg

What more diversion can a man desire than to sit him down near a warm turf fire; Upon his knee a pretty wench and on the table a jug of punch... Irish Traditional Song

"And when I vest my flashing sword And my hand takes hold in judgement I will take vengeance upon mine enemies And I will repay those who hase me O Lord, raise me to Thy right hand And count me among Thy saints ." Boondock Saints

celticcross.jpg

Sally tripped along the winding street down towards the dock area of town. She followed Mistress McKinney’s instructions to the letter. Soon she found herself in front of the tiny little shop, which was part of a lowly bawdy-house. Sally first peered inside by view of the dirty front window. There in the corner sat a weary-eyed man trying to read by a single candle. He aimlessly grabbed for a bottle and drank the last dregs of it down, then tossed it into the fireplace as it shattered against the bricks.

Sally then lifted the latch to the door and walked in. “I seek a physician.” She said in a low, but strong tone.

The man turned and looked at her. “I am Croaker. What be your ailment?”

“Tis not I who has fallen ill. I seek you for another. Tis my Mistress’ associate who I make the inquiry for. He has taken a bad turn.”

Croaker gathered up his book and started to look for another. Sally looked at the table before her. Blades, knives, and several other items that she did not know, were laid upon the table.

“What is it that ails him?” Asked Croaker.

“He has been injured.” She muttered. She could feel her breath catch as she watched him pull out a knife the length of her forearm.

“Come now…do not waste my time. I need to know the injury so I can make sure I pack what it needed.” His commands were barked at her, she kept close to the door just in case she needed to flee at any given moment..

“He was set upon … by some thieves. Tried to beat in his skull they did. You must come quickly. He has lost a lot of blood thus far. My Mistress will pay you well enough.” Sally quickly pulled a half a crown from her pocket. “There will be another one for you if you will hurry.”

Croaker took the coin and pocketed it. As he grabbed his hat, he motioned to Sally. “Very well…show me the way then.”

Member of "The Forsaken"

Sally quickened her hurried pace and the long legged doctor tried to

keep up. She looked behind her several times to make sure that Croaker

was following her.

"Hurry. Be quick!' She barked back at him. After the third time, Croaker found himself annoyed at the maid servant's behavior.

"I heard you the first two times!" He shouted back to her. "I von't be treated like child. Now, continue...I vill follow."

Down the narrow path to the back of the cottage, once inside,Sally motioned for Croaker to take a seat in the kitchen and not move until she announced him. "I shall be only a moment. I will be back in two shakes of a dog's tail!"

She looked over at him and gave him a smirk. "That means quickly."

She muttered at him.

"I know...I know vhat it means!" He hissed his reply.

Sally quickly called for her Mistress. Sally found her in her room. "He's here. I've found the doctor that Mistress McKinney instructed me to fine." Nelly closed her book and stood. "Very well, I will take him to Captain Sterling."

Member of "The Forsaken"

Face wrinkled into a small grimace and body shifted slightly in repose but Sterling continued to dream. Not that he wanted to, it had been years since he could remember having a pleasant night‘s sleep. Then groan issued forth as he stirred. In partial slumber, he felt as if his scalp had been yanked asunder and then manipulated until flesh’s edges were once again forced to butt close together. Sleep continued now undisturbed until a sharp, stabbing pain caused him to bolt upright in bed. When sword could not be found, fists came to the ready.

“Damnation!” Right arm swung out and made contact with nothing but the surrounding air as something flopped in his face. Curious, he snatched at the needle and suturing thread, which his actions had jerked clean from the doctor’s grip and yanked it, causing another sharp pain to his head.

“What the bloody hell?” he looked about, now fully awake and spied the women and a thin man with bloodied hands and foul looking apron.

“Damnation yourself,” came a thickly accented retort. “Hold still vill you so I can finish sewing up your head. You hafe given yourself a good crack in the skull and you must be still for avile.”

Expression settled into a frown, before Sterling lay back down.

“Bloody surgeons. Ye could have fired one across my bow first,” he grumbled.

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Trilby hovered over the kitchen hearth, stirring a viscous gray liquid bubbling away in a heavy iron pot, which hung from an iron tripod. He added a bit of powdered conch shell, a sprinkling of dried pig's blood, a pinch of saltpeter, and gave the lot another stir. It burped and hiccoughed in a slow simmer. Lastly, he added the purplish leaves from the rare plant the Irishman had brought a few nights ago.

The room was instantly filled with a foul stench worse than any midden. The mixture grumbled, sputtered, then proceeded to foam over the side of the pot, hitting the flames of the fire with a loud hiss and a billow of harsh smoke. The smoke got thicker, and blacker. Trilby backed away, fanning. It forced him from the room, as the miasma drifted into the hall, then the parlor.

Choking and coughing, Trilby, Souris, and Cleopatra took refuge on the rooftop patio. Cleopatra, glaring, jumped to the roof peak where the air was fresher.

Trilby scratched his head under the turban. "I nae ken what happened. May hap it were the wrong gender o' pig? The book did list female, but I didna think that mattered sae much. Ah weel, as soon as the smoke clears, I'll try again."

Souris looked at his master in alarm, but said nothing.

HerbalBookPage.jpg

The hour now past and Captain Sterling found himself drifting back into slumber. As Croaker finished suturing the gash on the Captain’s head, he looked over at the ladies standing at the end of the bedstead in silence.

“Do not look so vorried…all of you with your sad faces. He will live," he said, wiping his hands clean. “He shall need rest and he must take this tonic twice a day. It shall give him strength he vill be needing.” Croaker looked over at Lilly and Nelly as the dim light of the room barely made their faces noticeable. “I shall go now and leave you two to tend to him.”

It was then Nelly quickly moved towards the door. “Leave?” She said backing up against the door.

Croaker glanced over at Lilly – still dressed as the old hag. “Is there something a miss?” It was then Lilly quickly turned towards Nelly. “Pay him and let him go. There be no fear of him sounding the alarm.” Lilly said speaking in low, harsh tones. Nelly’s eyes narrowed then glanced over at Croaker once again. “How do you know this? How do you know that he will not go to the authorities or worse…the Egyptians?”

Croaker’s expression fell as he arched one eyebrow with concern. “Egyptians?” Lilly rolled her eyes and held out her hand to Nelly. “Come now Nelly…pay him.”

“Vhat is this? You call me from my home, ask for services and now you refuse to pay me?” Croaker now moved closer to Nelly. “Tell me vhat is going on here?!”

Member of "The Forsaken"

Heavy draperies that thus far acted as barrier to unwanted soliel, were drawn back; the windows formerly concealed opened to allow tropical breeze wonton. Crystal decanter sat unstopped at table's center; willing to bow in service to Master's whim. Perched within large chair support, one leg sprawled over elegantly wrought arm, Gitan Dauphin listened closely to companion's words. Only now and again interrupting with query; broadening picture of verbose laid afore him.

With closure of Childermass' dissertation, Sabastian reached for decanter silently and refilled both goblets. He digested what Seth offered slowly; features keeping neutral posture. Moments passed at dirge pace, goblets emptied...filled...then emptied again when Dauphin straightened posture and leaned forward to table edge.

"Is that everything?"

Childermass nodded.

"Tres vien...."Rising, goblet was drained and replaced on table surface as if forgotten and chamber crossed to gain proximity of large armoire. Contents were sifted through briefly, pause given to re-center on Seth,

"Be so kind as to inform the livery that I am in need of mine horse...And send word to those that need know, of my wants."

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

“Five and Twenty Ponies, Trotting thru’ the Dark.

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg

"So, how long are you going to hold me hostage?" I glared at my Aunt.

"Don't be so melodramatic," she tisked. "Besides, it was the elderly gentleman who sent for me. Apparently he was becoming tired of your company."

I sat up a little further in the huge bed. "You know, Violet, I won't stay here. Once I'm well enough, I'll go back to my ship."

Lady Violet's gray eyes narrowed. "Not until we've had another little talk. By tomorrow you should be strong enough." She paused a moment, and her steely gaze softened a bit. "You know, when we undressed you, I saw the scars you carry. Too many of them...Ale—"

"I told you, don't call me that. It hasn't been my name for a long time."

Her eyes hardened again. "You are in my house, and I'll call you what I like. And if you refuse Seymour's offer, you're a bigger fool than I take you for." She pointed at the bandages around my shoulder. "There's no reason for you to endure more of that."

"All right. Say I accept Seymour's offer. What happens when he discovers you've sold him a barren pig-in-a-poke? How long do you think it would take him to have the marriage annuled?"

"You don't know for certain that you're barren."

"You've seen the scars. And I'm no chaste virgin. Take my word, dear aunt, I'm barren. So leave off your grand plans for my future. I have a life, and being someone's little wiffy will never be part of it."

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Taking the path less traveled, Sorrell negotiated a spot in proximity of Royal Grace rear entrance. Hat brim was pushed up and back enough to scan surrounds before boots left stirrup hold for the ground below. Large fluid eyes turned to watch Rider's dismount before turning attention to large water barrel and its' content. Devon laid hand affectionately on Sorrell neck momentarily before moving on to intended doorway. As catch was reached for, the door leapt backwards to reveal familiar form in shadowed eve.

"Jays man!!! Are ye tryin' to push me on ta Heaven's own gates!!!!"

Sean chuckled in amusement to the other's startled reaction, " Go on wit' yerself, Burke....Ye well know tha' Aul' Peter will'na be lettin' yer own self in..."

" A fine gentleman, yerself..." Devon replied with mock snide then smiled with impish hues.

"Tis a grand bit o' timin' ye have an' save me from huntin' yerself down."

"An' why would tha' be?...."

"Has to do wit' tha' last drop at the Aul Scotch Fella's house an' wha' we saw."

Devon's nose crinkled a slight, "Saw er smelled...Bleedin' rankled bit o' work, tha'." He paused thoughtfully before continuing on," No' tha' the Aul Fella's a bad sort...A tad odd...Bu' ye canno' hold it against him ner not'in'....An' tis true he be in possession o' fine craithur....."

Roberts nodded in agreement as each point was verbalized then held a hand to cease further observations, "Tis the gerl..."

"OH!!!!....The gerl near took off me head an' yer own?!? No' exactly wha' I envisioned as the way me own self was goin' to meet me Maker...."

"T'ink back, boyo...." Sean interrupted.

"Ta wha'?"

"Tha' day inna bookstore when tha' young fella broke tha' glass ou' front..."

Revelation crept slowly across Devon's expression, "Mary, Patrick an'...Tis the gerl from the cargo haul!!!!"

"Aye, an' Himself is quite interested in the goin's on."

Chin was unconsciously rubbed in thought, "Now I be wonderin' to me own self why tha' may be...."

"Aye....An' it gets better..." Sean whispered consperitivly and drew much closer, " The newest edition to the Family is on the loose an' found a hidey hole a'..." the sentence was finished to Burke's hearing only.

Younger blinked with disbelief, "Aw now, yer havin' me on, cara."

"God's own truth an' may He strike me down if I be tellin' tales." Roberts vouched. "Himself wan's ye upstairs."

Devon sighed with resignation; it seemed his only desire of long overdue cat nap was to be laid aside for undetermined allotment of time to come.

celticcross.jpg

Christophe surveyed those gathered from his placement just to the rear and left of where Dauphin sat. The Faithful stood in horseshoe formation, occasional glances darting to others within company, but hearing focused finite to younger Devareaux. What was disclosed would act as catalyst; an evolution to future venture and choices laid open in honest delivery. No judgment of worth would be measured or used in prejudice to final acceptance; things were changing and the changes were occurring with such rapidity that action need be adhered to.

Sabastian voiced gratitude and gave no certain guarantee of possible outcomes. They had hours numbered four and twenty, then the wheels would be set to motion…

And Fates be damned.

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg

"You've seen the scars. And I'm no chaste virgin. Take my word, dear aunt, I'm barren. So leave off your grand plans for my future. I have a life, and being someone's little wiffy will never be part of it."

Lady Violet sniffed in contempt. "Yes, I know the kind of man you prefer— in your bed or theirs. Did I not see a fine example of such a few days ago in the Royal Grace, glaring at me over your head?"

To Violet's consternation, her neice's expression changed to one of...satisfaction, and a smile curved the woman's lips.

"Ah, mon amour. Juene, galant, frisque, dehait, bien adixtre, hardi, adventureaux." she said, and the smile became coy and the lapis-blue eyes sparkled. "Haute `a la main et un peu superbe."

"More than a little, I suspect," Violet retorted. "And I see he cares for you so much, that he hasn't enquired of your health since you were accosted."

"If I'm lucky, he won't have heard of it. He has other, family business on his mind, at the moment."

For some reason, Lady Violet found herself becoming angry, a state she rarely allowed herself, as she felt it to be a deplorable loss of control. "The Devareaux's are gypsies. You are nobility. You might as well bed the gardener."

Her neices blue eyes went cold and steely. "Personally, I'd rather bed your gardener, than Seymour."

Before she lost all dignity, Lady Violet left the room. But it required more than one glass of Irish whiskey to restore her mood to something less volatile.

LADYVIOLET2.jpg

When Sterling awoke once more, the sun had not yet made its appearance. It would still be hours before the horizon’s edge would tinge with an ever growing pink.

“Damnation,” he whispered as he slowly rolled over onto his back, hands coming to clutch at pain filled head. As he lay with eyes screwed shut, he heard the soft rustle of silken fabrics and the soft step of a woman as one approached where he lay.

“How are you feeling? Do you wish me to wake the doctor?” a gentle voice greeted his ears.

“Nelly?” he whispered. “Wake the…” His own voice echoed loudly in his head, forcing him to speak through gritted teeth.

“With your condition and what has happened…” she began slowly. “Well let us say, he is another gentleman far from home and enough coin was all it took to keep him here at your service and his tongue still. He is currently lodged in Sally’s room and she with Mistress McKinney.”

“McKinney?” Sterling sounded some what stunned, as one hand lowered and he hazarded the chance of opening his good eye to look at the fair haired girl. “She is here?”

“Yes,” Nelly said leaning closer to him, delicate fingers coming to stroke the side of his face. “You and she are truly acquainted then as she claims?”

“Aye, well enough. I… she…,” he rapidly changed tack. A long explanation could certainly wait for now. “She was the old woman?”

“Yes,” Nelly said. “Do you not recall?”

“Some… tis all like a dream… a poor one at best…but,” he attempted to sit up and instantly regretted it.

“Shh,” Nelly chided tenderly. “You must rest. I shall get the doctor, perhaps he can give you something more for the pain.”

Silk robe was gathered about slender form as Nelly rose, one hand patting Sterling’s shoulder in an effort to insist he remain still.

“Ask Mistress McKinney to come as well. There is something I must ask her to do.”

Nelly looked down at him. Even at such an hour, having sat by his side all night, she still looked lovely. He could not help but reach one hand up toward her. She quickly took it in her own.

“Surely I can help you,” Nelly offered.

Sterling shifted uncomfortably. “No,” he began. “This is something only she may be able to accomplish. Besides, I wish you here, with me.”

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

As a gentle rapping came upon the bedroom door, Lilly was the first to stir. As she looked over at her bedmate, Sally still was in deep slumber.

“Who is it?” She whispered loud enough to acknowledge the person at the door.

“Tis Nelly. I’ve been asked to tell you that Captain Sterling wishes to speak with you.”

With a quick glance up at the window, Lilly knew that it was the middle of the night. “Aye, I shall be with thee in a moment’s time.” She quickly collected her robe and met Nelly in the hall.

“He is all right then?" Lilly asked as she closed the door behind her.

"He is suffering but otherwise seems well enough," Nelly replied.

"What is this matter which is of such grave importance that it could not wait until morning then?” Lilly said rubbing an eye and walking slowly towards the Captain’s room.

“He did not say. He only requested that I fetch you.” As Nelly held the candle close to the Captain’s chamber door, she opened it slowly. The light from the candle cast an eerie glow into the room. As the blanket of candle light fell upon Captain Sterling’s face, Lilly still could see that he was very pale.

Lilly sat in the chair next to the bed and took the Captain’s hand. “I am here, John. What do you wish of me?” She whispered softly. The Captain winced once more, putting his hand to his head and glanced over still seeing Nelly standing near the door.

“Thank you Nelly. I will call for thee if I need thee.”

Nelly’s eyes were transfixed on Lilly as she slowly shut the door behind her.

“That one is not to be trusted,” Lilly said in a whisper and smirked. She then softly touched the side of his cheek. The Captain could only show a slight smile and he looked up at her.

“I see ye are still very protective of me, Lilly. But ye need not fret on Nelly... Mistress Greene's account. She has been very ... kind to me as of late. Yet tis ye that I trust with what now must be done…and that is the reason I asked ye here at this late hour. Yer actions, in the past several hours, have been extremely dangerous yet most noble. Ye risked yer life to help me. So I would ask ye to chance things yet again on my behalf. If there were any other way... I would never...”

Lilly eyes quickly met his. “I would walk through fire for you John. I could not sit by and let you die for a crime you did not do.”

The very air caught in the Captain’s throat. He paused to look at her in the dimly lit room. “I wish I could be so certain about that as ye seem to be." He sighed before he carried on. "I need you to follow my instructions to the letter, Lilly. Will you do so?” Lilly nodded. “Good. Here is what I wish ye to do.”

Member of "The Forsaken"

"What do you mean he has still not been found?!" Pinon shouted angrily. Tall figure spun wildly upon his heel and long strides took him to furthest confines of red coated Major's front parlor.

Conner stood just as angrily, his patience straining to remain in check.

"It is not that we have not tried," he interjected, knowing anything he said would find no acceptance with the other man.

"Try harder then!" Pinon yelled, then paused, reining back his fury. Slow, calculated steps took him face to face, within inches of the young major. Ice blue eyes narrowed as head tilted slightly on an angle. "You and your men are wasting valuable time thinking that you can flush this man out without raising the alarm. Do you not know there are many here that would strive to conceal this outlaw?"

Conner slowly exhaled a deep breath. He knew all too well one such individual. Dark eyes lowered allowing lids to hide knowing glint.

"What would you have me do? I and my men are at your master's and your disposal," he whispered, trying his best to sound defeated.

"Send out all that you can. Leave no soldier back at the barracks. Kick in every door if you must, but find this captain and drag him back to Marshallsea. And if you did not know, start with the doors which the Devareaux clan hide behind. He is, as of late, married into their unsavory coterie. Surely it would be the first place he would run!!"

At Lilly's simple caress, weary eyes closed momentarily. Sterling wanted to lean into the palm of her hand, resting his cheek against her tender touch, as he had so often done in the past.

"Thank you," he whispered, not wishing to move.

He had told her exactly what she needed to do and where she had to go. At this late hour though, he honestly had second thoughts about allowing her to make her way on her own. But she quickly reminded him that she had managed to get to him in the prison without aid and without harm.

His grip tightened about her hand as he looked up at her.

"Ye cannot go this time disguised. They must know ye if they be there," he whispered. "Please take care. I do not wish any thing to go amiss and cause ye hurt."

She had nodded and then it was she touched his face.

"Ye must go now before tis too late," he said.

Edited by Capt. Sterling

Crewe of the Archangel

For well over an hour she had kept to the tree line. The night had proven overcast and in spite of the full moon, which now hid itself behind thick clouds, it was nearly impossible to discover what she had been asked to seek out. Numerous objects that could pass for what she sought, came to view and then slipped silently away once more into the dark. She listened for what might direct her search more readily toward her goal, but the night's sounds were filled with all the normal noises of any port town. Ships' bells, smaller watches keeping to their duty in the late night hours, the churning of the waves as they crashed against the beach, the lone gull announcing his presence as he flew over head and the constant hum of business from the local pubs and inns.

She sighed but did not give in to her tiredness. Instead she moved once more amongst the bordering trees, weaving quietly in, out and about them. She peered out toward where she should find the object and sighed once more... nothing. Or so she thought, until in answer to the prayer she muttered over and over under her breath, the wind picked up and the heavy clouds parted momentarily, allowing the moon to cast her light clearly for several minutes.

In her excitement, Lilly stepped out from the protection of the trees and watched the tiny form. It raced quickly in the darkness and then once, twice and thrice, a light blinked before all went dark. She continued to watch, readying her own lantern. Again, once, twice and a third time. She worked furiously with flint and steel and once her candle was lit within glass frame, she realized her mistake of being out in the open. She turned quickly to make her way back to the tree line and saw clearly, but from deep within the trees now in front of her... once, twice and then a third light blinking. Instantly she glanced back over her shoulder, once, twice and then the impatient clouds once again blocked out the moon and the small object disappeared completely from sight. Not once did she lift her own lantern. Not once did she return the signal...gathering her skirts she turned to run into the woods to try and locate the source that glowed briefly within but as she did she collided hard with someone, who's hand closed tightly over her mouth and arm wrapped like a vise about her waist. She felt herself lifted from the earth as her own lantern crashed to the ground and went out.

Member of "The Forsaken"

I had no idea what time it was, other than late. The richly appointed room was stuffy, the coverlets smothering. For one used to an open deck, and a small bunk or hamock, this enclosed world was like a perfumed prison.

Fretting and uncomfortable, I forced myself to get out of bed. My shoulder felt like someone had poured acid into my bones, but ignoring the pain, I walked silently to the door and opened it a crack. Instantly, Africa was there, his presance a darker bulk within the dark hallway.

Opening the door to let him in, I whispered, "Get me out of here."

"You strong enough?"

"I don't care if it kills me, just get me away from Trade Winds. Where are the men?"

"In da stable. All but Jimmy. He watching Ioan tonight."

"Gather them up. Ready a horse, a wagon, anything, I don't care. But do it quick. If anyone tries to stop you, well, see that they can't. But for God's sake, don't kill anyone."

With a low chuckle, Africa whispered, "Glad to have you back, Ma'am." Then he slipped from the room.

After he'd gone, I paused, mumbling, "I wonder what the old harriden did with my clothes and weapons?"

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Cool cloth came to lay still upon feverish brow and Sterling looked over at Nelly Greene.

"Can you ask the doctor for something?" he whispered.

Nelly's expression registered concern.

"Said gentleman was here with you no more than forty minutes ago John. Do you not recall?" she asked as she lay the inside of her wrist against his temple.

It was several minutes before he answered no, pinched features displaying equal concern.

He closed his eyes as Nelly adjusted the bed linens embracing his form.

"And what of Mistress McKinney?" he asked.

"She has not returned as of yet, but she too, has not been gone long. You need to rest my love and not fret so about these matters. You have my word, Mistress McKinney, Sally and myself will do all in our power to keep you safe and help you in this matter."

"Aye, yes of course. Ye should take yerself to bed as well. Ye will do me and the others no good if ye grow weak and weary."

"I will lay me down with you," she whispered. "I can tend to you easier and..." she settled carefully next to him. "I have missed you greatly. Just being beside you shall be a comfort to me."

Lilly continued to struggle as the large hand forced her to maintain her silence. The

heavy, thick palm clamped down fast and hard, covering mouth and nose. It reeked of carrots and cabbages.

As she was suddenly pulled close against her attacker's chest, thickly barreled and solid, she almost seemed familiar with the unwanted embrace. The distinct smell of cheap English wine mingled in his beard.

Struggling with the man was more akin to the bear baiting matches she had witnessed back in London. All her flailing and kicking was pointless, he was steadfast, far too strong, and he had taken up a position he could easily defend.

"Now be still, Mistress!" A harsh Scottish whisper sounded. "I mean

you no harm. Now, if I let you go…not a word, what say ye?"

Lilly suddenly stopped battling and slowly nodded her head. As the hand was lifted from her mouth she slowly turned to see her captor. In the shadows, another man approached, barely

making a sound.

Member of "The Forsaken"

The great bear of a man relaxed only slightly, one arm still remained fixed about the actress's waist. The second man that approached, cautiously uncovered the lantern he held and brought its ray to land softly upon Lilly's face.

"Aye, she's the one we come for," the man said, quickly concealing the flame once more.

"Come along then," the great bear growled. His grip tightened once again about Lilly's waist as he began carrying her deeper into the woods.

"No, no! Wait!" Lilly protested. "You must hear me out. Allow me to speak if you please, Captain!"

But the bear would not halt until he felt them all to be safe once again in their hiding place, but instead of letting Lilly go, he only pulled her closer.

"Aye, hear ye out we will until the boat arrives, but going ye are. Tis my orders to take ye out of here as quickly as possible. We've been waiting long enough for ye to show up!!"

"Take me out of here?" Lilly asked.

"Captain's orders."

"But...no... you cannot take me now. John, Captain Sterling has escaped but he is..."

The bear could not help but laugh, the rich sound forcing Lilly to stop speaking. She waited, impatiently glaring up at the Scotsman.

"Leave it to Captain Sterling. Bloody hell but the man does listen when ye tell him a tale or two. How'd he manage it then?"

"Damnation!" Lilly interrupted. The Scottish captain's brow arched at the all too familiar curse word.

"OHHH!" Frustrated Lilly pushed herself free of the man's hold. "Will you listen?! Captain Sterling is badly hurt and if you can manage to take me away from the place surely you can take him as well!"

Member of "The Forsaken"

The lock was manipulated with practiced finesse, satisfaction playing youthful features as will was given into. Door knob was caressed and eased over, oaken barricade falling back on well oiled hinge. The smallish foyer was darkness; low lamp flame touching its' boarders in teasing manner from room beyond. Lock Master stepped aside to allow forward invasion to companion's lithe form, then closed door quietly.

Childermass hung just inside foyer maw, blending into shadow shrouding. He was well aware of Burke's presence behind to his right, but gave no instruction nor acknowledgment. Outward his senses reached, sense of smell intaking rich perfumes; sight tracing form of footman fast asleep of elegant chaise...ears noting the slightest creak from upper floor.

Motioning, Seth gave silent instruction indicating second story region and his want for companion to remain where he presently stood. Devon gave reluctant nod before backing further into darkness embrace while watching Wraith's ghost-like progress upon stairway curl. Layout of domicile sprawl had been gone over with careful consideration. Two doorways passed in favor of one further down.

Hand falling upon chosen latch, Childermass listened briefly to sounds within; a muffled snatch of conversation rewarded hearing and burnished barrier was eased inward to reveal what Englishman already knew. Reptilian gaze fell upon the scene before him; pale sights playing over the two occupants and ceasing progression upon Sterling's pallid face.

"Tis truth..." Graveyard whisper teased the air, "That yer surrounds have far improved in'na time lapsed since last meeting...."

Gaze left Sterling to center on Nelly and remained there as cat measuring mouse.

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Nelly was the first to stir and she did so quickly, sitting upward, and, although she had nothing to hide, she clutched the bedclothes close to her breast.

"WHO are you? And how dare you enter a lady's chambers without knocking let alone her house!" she shouted. She was truly frightened by the sudden intrusion, not so much for herself but for the safety of the man who lay next to her. Blue eyes moved rapidly over Childermass trying to make him out, as one delicate hand came to rest protectively upon Sterling's shoulder. But the captain did not waver and Nelly's attention quickly shifted from intruder to lover.

Crewe of the Archangel