Fresh meat!

~Lady Pirate~

Lass, this one isn't really called "a dance film" persay, but have you ever seen The Mambo Kings (or read the famous book) with Antonio Banderas? There was a good movie with alot of good dancing in it.

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Have Parrot Bay, will travel.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen the Mambo Kings, yes. Many years ago though so I don't remember it too well. But I liked it. :)

Do you like musicals too? Many of those too.

A pirate by heart, a pirate in my soul

I always steal whatever I need, no self-control

I always long to sail my ship and explore the sea

So you'd better beware me!

Because Captain Pirate is near. And a girl too so fear

Don't you dare to question me and I might let you live

I fight and kill those without skill

So surrender now...and bow!

Musician brothers Cesar (armand Assante) and Nestor leave Cuba for America in the 1950s, hoping to hit the top of the Latin music scene (Antonio dies however......). Antonio Banderas couldn't speak English when this movie was filmed, and thus performed all his lines phonetically. Armand Assante couldn't speak Spanish and thus performed all his lines phonetically (IMDB.com)

I loved this movie because of the music.. It's a little sad, but the atmosphere is great!

piratescavebanner.jpg

I've seen the Mambo Kings, yes. Many years ago though so I don't remember it too well. But I liked it.

If you can, read the book (titled The Mambo Kings Play Songs of Love) its great too.

Do you like musicals too? Many of those too.

Yes lass I love musicals, both in movie and onstage form.

Moviewize I try to catch the annual showing of The Sound of Music, each holiday season (this year's was this past Saturday). I've seen a number of the other movie~musical classics like The King and I with Yule Brenner, South Pacific, Oklahoma, Guys and Dolls. On stage I've seen a number of the classics done by school students and community theatres.

On the large scale I saw Annie years ago in Buffalo, NY, Camelot, that toured with Richard Harris actually playing the King, in Rochester,

Evita, and Nunsense, in Buffalo.

A Chorus Line, Cats in Toronto, and Phantom of The Opera in Toronto.

I've never actually seen a Broadway musical ON BROADWAY :angry: :unsure:

Actually I hear they are making Mambo Kings into a Broadway musical, I think to be released this spring or summer.

I haven't yet seen any of the new musical movies such as Chicago, or Phantom of The Opera. I know I want to see the movie version of Rent that is out right now.

So which ones do you like lass?? :unsure:

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

Musician brothers Cesar (armand Assante) and Nestor leave Cuba for America in the 1950s, hoping to hit the top of the Latin music scene (Antonio dies however......). Antonio Banderas couldn't speak English when this movie was filmed, and thus performed all his lines phonetically. Armand Assante couldn't speak Spanish and thus performed all his lines phonetically (IMDB.com)

I loved this movie because of the music.. It's a little sad, but the atmosphere is great!

Thanks for the info. That sounds interesting. I didn't remember all that.

Tito - I own Phantom of the Opera and Chicago on DVD. They're great. I like them very much. I also love the Sound of Music, Moulin Rouge, the 3 Musketeers (Dutch production), etc.

I've never seen a big musical live. Just an unknown one on stage last year. Obviously, never been to broadway either. I'd like to though. Sounds like fun.

There are many things I still want to see or experience. Like ballet. I'd love to see Swan Lake sometime. Or this latin show I saw an ad about the other day. It's a combination of Flamenco and ballet.

But it's too far away and they only have a few shows. Expensive too. B)

There are many things I still want to see or experience. Like ballet. I'd love to see Swan Lake sometime. Or this latin show I saw an ad about the other day. It's a combination of Flamenco and ballet.

But it's too far away and they only have a few shows. Expensive too.

Oh I know luv what ye meaneth by things far away. The things we do see, we have to make special arrangements to go to because getting there is quite the challenge.

A combo of Flamenco/Ballet does sound like something worth seeing.

I have seen live Ballet before and it is beautiful. I saw a small company put on The Nutcracker one Christmastime, and I also saw Prokofiev's Sleeping Beauty put on in NYC (just happened to be there and we got tickets) at the Metropolitan Opera House (it was summer and the Met was not in season) by the Kirov Ballet from St. Petersburg (former Leningrad). They were awesome. I've also seen live opera and its beautiful too.

I am sure you'll get to alot in your life. You have the drive and ambition so I have no doubt that you'll succeed. :)

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

I have been fortunate enough to see a couple of show and ballet.. say Phantom of the Opera twice, once with original cast and again when they brought it back to the Pantages. I saw a scaled down version of South Pacific, I've seen a beautiful ballet of Romeo and Juliet...that one haunted my memories for years. I've seen the Lion King and a couple other smaller shows.

There is just something about the experience of a live performance, music, lighting..I just love it!

Scarlet McBayne

" Touch not the Cat without a Sheild " McBayne motto

"red is the Rose in yander garden grows

Fair is the Lily of the Valley"

Last year when we were visiting my sister we went into Washington DC and saw A Christmas Carol performed in Ford's Theater. It was so amazing to see that classic play performed in that old theater, and looking up to the right to see the booth that Lincoln sat in added an eerie feel to it. Great performance though...very good production and a fantastic cast.

barbadossambanner0zj.jpg

"There be the chest, inside be the gold, we took them all. Spent them and traded them. We frittered them away on drink and food and pleasurable company. The more we gave them away, the more we came to realize... the drink would not satisfy, food turned to ash in our mouths, and all the pleasurable company in the world could not slake our lust. We are cursed men....Compelled by greed we were, and now we are consumed by it."

There is just something about the experience of a live performance, music, lighting..I just love it!

Exactly.

I've seen an opera live. Nabucco by Puccini. Saw it in Germany when I was on holiday there. I just saw Phantom of the Opera for the first time. On DVD. lol

My aunt saw the ballet when she was in St. Petersburg a few years ago. In one of those beautiful buildings. I'm sure it was spectacular.

So do you guys like any classical music? I sure do. I love soundtracks too.

Lady Pirate, have you noticed the music in King Kong then! Amazing and romantic. But then again, so many soundtracks are great!

Just a few: Shakespeare in Love, The Edge, English Patient, The Rock, Braveheart, Meet Joe Black, Last of the Mohicans!

And there are just more to come!

:D

piratescavebanner.jpg

So do you guys like any classical music? I sure do. I love soundtracks too.

Yes lass, I love classical music too. I have a big collection of symphonies, concertos, etc... as well as my salsa :unsure: I just performed in a community chorus production of Handel's Messiah, this past Sunday.

I loooove the Pirates of The Caribbean Soundtrack, and Star Wars.

Wonderful music.

I saw La Boheme in Montreal, Der Rosenkavelier in Toronto, Aida and Tosca in Syracuse, NY.

again when they brought it back to the Pantages

Wow I saw it at the Pantages too, in 89. When did you see it Scarlet?

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

I love Tosca. We have that on DVD. Brilliant. Amazing, that song at the very end. I have a version by Pavarotti on my computer. But although he is a great singer (technically), the song lacked feeling. I prefer the singer who sings it on our DVD. His name escaped me. -thinks-

My favourite soundtracks: Man of the Iron Mask, Gladiator, Shakespeare in Love, The Edge, The Rock, Braveheart, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc.

;) seems I have bin a little remiss in welcomin' new swabs t' the decks......Welcomes me dear ;) .....good t' see someone from 'our' side o' the world, enjoyin' the wonders that be 'the pyracy pub'.......mines an' ale....an' be quick about it!!....... :P;);)

Cap'n o' the JADES RISC'S @ anchorage at the port o' Cardiff, Wales, Uk.

Piratesig1.jpg

Thanks for the welcome, Captain Jacob. Nice to make your acquaintance.

;)

:P

I love Tosca. We have that on DVD. Brilliant. Amazing, that song at the very end.

Aye lass, the ending is just so awesome, with the death scene and all.

Do you like any of the German works, like Wagner or Strauss?

My favourite soundtracks: Man of the Iron Mask, Gladiator, Shakespeare in Love, The Edge, The Rock, Braveheart, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc.

Good stuff :)

I also have Star Trek 3 ~Search for Spock, Round Midnight, and some others that are more pop music.

I have a number of Opera recordings too.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

When it comes to classical music, I like Beethoven, Mozart and Tchaikovsky best. I also really like Puccini. When it comes to pieces, I love Carmen, Bolero (latin classical music haha), Swan Lake, Romeo and Juliet, the Nutcracker, Revolution Etude.

I like Strauss. The walz is a lovely dance. Very happy and energetic. I like it very much.

I'm not really familiar with Wagner.

Nothing wrong with pop music. Some pop singers are excellent singers. Like Josh Groban or Clay Aiken. I love their voices.

I listen to jazz, soul and funk too sometimes. Alicia Keys, Prince, Jamie Cullum, Norah Jones. That kind of thing.

When it comes to classical music, I like Beethoven, Mozart and Tchaikovsky best. I also really like Puccini. When it comes to pieces, I love Carmen, Bolero (latin classical music haha), Swan Lake, Romeo and Juliet, the Nutcracker, Revolution Etude.

I like Strauss. The walz is a lovely dance. Very happy and energetic. I like it very much.

I'm not really familiar with Wagner.

Nothing wrong with pop music. Some pop singers are excellent singers. Like Josh Groban or Clay Aiken. I love their voices.

I listen to jazz, soul and funk too sometimes. Alicia Keys, Prince, Jamie Cullum, Norah Jones. That kind of thing.

Aye lass your taste be most awesome I must say.

You know what soundtrack I just heard today, and I think its a really great score? The soundtrack to the British version of A Christmas Carol, that starred Allister Sym as Scrooge. I think thats the best film version ever made. The one a couple years ago with Patrick (can't remember his last name who played Captain Picard on StarTrek The Next Generation) is my "second place".

Ok, you like Johann Strauss, the waltz king, and composer of Die Fliedermaus. I was actually talking about his relative, Richard Strauss, who composed Der Rosenkavelier, and other late romantic German Operas, among other things. But thats ok, they're both good. :lol:

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

Aye lass your taste be most awesome I must say.

You know what soundtrack I just heard today, and I think its a really great score? The soundtrack to the British version of A Christmas Carol, that starred Allister Sym as Scrooge. I think thats the best film version ever made. The one a couple years ago with Patrick (can't remember his last name who played Captain Picard on StarTrek The Next Generation) is my "second place".

Ok, you like Johann Strauss, the waltz king, and composer of Die Fliedermaus. I was actually talking about his relative, Richard Strauss, who composed Der Rosenkavelier, and other late romantic German Operas, among other things. But thats ok, they're both good. :P

Thanks!

You mean the old version? 1970 I think.

I think the newer version starred Patrick Steward. I've never watched Star Trek. But I've seen Steward in a modern version of Canterville Ghost. He was the ghost and did some Hamlet dialogue too (of Ham's father. Ham. lol. I like that on bread too. :lol: )

Wrong Strauss. :lol: Too many composers in one family... :D

I might know his work, but most classical pieces I don't know by name. Those I really like I know because I had to download them first. Or look them up on a CD (my mom owns many classical CDs).

You mean the old version? 1970 I think.

I think the newer version starred Patrick Steward.

Aye lass, that's it :) He was Scrooge, and a very good one I must add.

The version I like the most was British, and done in like 1951, in black and white. Allister Sim was a known Bristish actor of the time who played Scrooge but none of the other players had a "big name".

There was an "old" American black and white version starring a guy named Reginald Owen, but I like the British one better, and that seems to be the one shown more often on US tv.

In the 70s or 80s they made one with George C. Scott, and that one shows a little bit.

Wrong Strauss.  Too many composers in one family...

No worry m'lass ye not be wrong. They both be fine composers with fantastic works. :P

Was it here at the pub that I read that Lord of The Rings is going to be produced as a musical now?

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

LOTR as a musical? :o -imagines Saruman singing and dancing- Sounds funny. I didn't know that yet.

I haven't seen either version of Scrooge. I've almost never seen black and white films. Oldest films I can remember watching: Casablanca, Gone with the Wind. I've seen a few films from the 50s too, but I can't think of any right now.

What do you think of period films then?