Random Topics

Patrick Hand

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm that's usually weekends...

I hope to see ice boats this year on the lake

Then a Drambuie and cider with a cinnamon stick :)

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Yes, that does seem to happen. But yesterday was very unusual for the amount of people disregarding traffic signs, signals and right-of-ways, who just darted out into oncoming traffic or crossed into it, causing people to have to slam on their brakes to avoid broadsiding them. There was a noticeable increase in that behavior yesterday - it was unreal and very unnerving.

Edited by Red-Handed Jill

RHJMap.jpg

so many tings to do.......where DOES the time go?

I'm saddend by the fact that there are people out there that have no respect for the past. These relics, such as this tombstone below are the only bridge between now and the past, was one of may that were desecrated in the common burial ground, in Newport, R.I. about a few yards from the grave of Governor Samuel Cranston, one of the infamous GAOP pirate sponsors himself. How infrequent do you find gems like this in modern America, and people treat them like empty beer cans. In this case, 64 year old Elisabeth Remmend who died in 1718:

IMG_4819.jpg

Edited by Matusalem
SHIP2-1.jpg

Wow, Mission, you have a velociraptor in your back yard! That is just SO kewl!.................I want one. LOL

Do you have pictures of it?

Yeah, she's not exactly movie quality, but not bad for a home effort:

http://www.markck.com/images/props/PROPS_raptor.htm

She's in the back yard because...what the hell do you do with a 12' long fiberglassed velociraptor after the haunted house closes?

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread, but that Velociraptor is just VERY kewl! I'm surprised you haven't had requests to make others. :blink:

Oh, and Matusalem, your town is not the only place were idiots live. Our local paper did an article about an old, little-known cemetery, and the quarry where a lot of the tomestones were cut and carved, and where there were still some unfinished ones. Unfortunately, they also told where this little-known cemetery was. Within days, several of the tomestones had been broken up, tipped over, or smashed. Even the unfinished ones in the quarry. Bastards! B)

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread, but that Velociraptor is just VERY kewl! I'm surprised you haven't had requests to make others. :blink:

Thank you! Based on what I would have to charge just to break even, no one would buy one. (Seriously.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I'm saddend by the fact that there are people out there that have no respect for the past. These relics, such as this tombstone below are the only bridge between now and the past, was one of may that were desecrated in the common burial ground, in Newport, R.I. about a few yards from the grave of Governor Samuel Cranston, one of the infamous GAOP pirate sponsors himself. How infrequent do you find gems like this in modern America, and people treat them like empty beer cans. In this case, 64 year old Elisabeth Remmend who died in 1718:

IMG_4819.jpg

How very sad... I just don't get people who would do such a thing... I guess they don't have the same sense of awe that some of us get when setting foot in a graveyard...

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

IMG_4819.jpg

My first job with the Sturgeon Bay Department of Public Works was 'restoring' an abandoned city cemetary that housed many local Civil War veterans. According to the older guys on the work crew, the owner of the adjacent gravel pit pulled up all the tombstones except for two and used them to pave his patio in the late 70's. I guess he thought it was cool. He also used to drive his front loader through there as a shortcut to the road, and wound up crushing/collapsing most of the graves. We could see the low spots where the earth had settled into the depression left by the collapsed casket.

Edited by Bloody Jack Madd

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

I need an airplane, a boat and an endless supply of funds..oh and a really cool hat and some chocolate

• 3 weeks later...

Why is it that the power always goes out right when you've just finished writing a post for a story thread, but haven't hit Post yet?

Suddenly the computer screen goes black, the lights go out, and you have that sinking feeling, because you know the three paragraphs you just wrote are goners! Grrr..... :rolleyes:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Ransom: Hit your computer over the head with an empty Pimm's bottle until it coughs up those paragraphs that it ate!

Rumba: Same with your recalcitrant Escrow -- hit someone over the head with a Pimm's bottle until they close the deal!

I used this tactic on the pseudo-suicidal nerd-boy, and it worked. :rolleyes:

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

:( Pimm's, the beverage and weapon of choice...

and it tastes so dang good!

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

:( Pimm's, the beverage and weapon of choice...

and it tastes so dang good!

Mr. H tells me we have quite a collection of empty Pimm's bottles in the cellar. I guess I should rename our cellar "the armoury" now. LOL

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

Make sure you open a bottle to christen it :blink:

Make sure you open a bottle to christen it <_<

Good thought, Jenny!

It'll have to wait until next week, though. I've sworn off the sauce entirely this week, while I recuperate from some nasty stomach 'flu. I have a family obligation that I'm determined to keep this Saturday (since I had to postpone it from last weekend), and I don't wan't to have a relapse before then. So, it's just soup, juice, and peppermint tea for me for the next few days. After Saturday, however, it's 'bring on the booze' again! LOL [Hope that half-blenderful of margeritas in the freezer doesn't go stale before then!]

In the meantime, I really need to find a way to improve my physical stamina and resistance to illness. Still fatigued all the time despite light therapy for self-diagnosed SAD and iron supplements for clinically diagnosed anaemia. Oh, sigh! I think I'll eventually have to give in and visit the doctor again, even though my symptoms are so vague as to be ludicrous. [Crap, with my luck, she'll tell me that it's just middle age!] But I'm getting bloody tired of always having to cancel out on social events due to a string of minor ailments this fall -- post-viral bronchitis, rebounding migraines, head cold, stomach 'flu... And I'm especially tired of having to explain why all the time -- I sound like a raging hypochondriac!

On the up side: looks like we're gonna get a more progressive 'coalition' government up here in Canada! Bye-bye bully-boy Harper! Huzzah!

And my copy of The Pretenders' Pirate Radio box set arrived in the mail yesterday. Early Xmas present to myself, and very 'energizing'. Might even inspire me to change out of my pyjamas into real clothes!

Okay, well, time to go do something approximating 'useful'...

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

This just struck me as really funny. Considering the time of year it is, I'll probably get struck by lightning...but, heck, it's still funny.

In His own image.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This should really be in the "I Had Too Much to Dream Last Night" thread, but I couldn't locate it. [Note to Stynky: the "Search" function on this new forum kinda stynks! LOL]

Anyhow, the other night, I dreamt that I was a music journalist and I travelled to Sweden to interview this really cool reclusive married couple (who I guess were musicians). I arrived with an entourage, and we had to take our snowboots off in the hallway before we went inside their house. It turned into a great party. The male reclusive musician was tall & thin and wearing a lime-green sweater and he kept flirting (very subtly) with me.

For some reason, I awoke from this dream feeling quite relaxed & happy.

Sweden seems like a nice place. ;)

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

Check this guys ..... eergh... projects out.... He's having way too much fun...... :blink:

the alternate history theme park where dinosaurs fought in the civil war...

http://io9.com/5084491/the-alternate-histo...n-the-civil-war

or Foamhenge

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/9209

Professor Cline's Haunted Monster Museum & Dark Maze

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/9210