Random Topics

Patrick Hand

I watched The Mission last night. Got outraged, as usual.

I'm of two minds when it comes to watching movies like this. I hate getting that angry from watching a movie, but maybe if enough people see it and get angry at such atrocities it may help this from happening again - at least as often. Dunno - it's still happening nowadays. Humans are such a perverse species.

RHJMap.jpg

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The news often does that for me. Especially the political news :lol:

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

In my hotel room, in the wall behind the sofa and just below ceiling level is a sprinkler head. I don't know why it's there and not in the ceiling but... whatever. At any rate, it's a sprinkler head.

Below it is a small sign: it has a hanger with the red circle and slash across it. That got me wondering - was there an incident that prompted that sign? I can't imagine what would possess someone would consider hanging something up on a small sprinkler head eight feet up and behind the sofa. But I've learned not to assume anything about the depths of stupidity some people are capable of.

At any rate, it has provided me with some amusement.

RHJMap.jpg

*snicker * heehee . Nice..

Oh and what about the maximum WIDTH signs on bridges in NJ? um..... B)

In my hotel room, in the wall behind the sofa and just below ceiling level is a sprinkler head.  I don't know why it's there and not in the ceiling but... whatever.  At any rate, it's a sprinkler head.

I have seen that too ...what the heck ...it is like having to put the word "HOT" on a McDonalds cup. Stupid woman should not have had the cup between her legs!

Now and then something will fall over....and I think "hmm..." and go back to my reading...

Another thing I've been observing at this conference is the number of purely decorative folk companies have sent to represent them. Pretty, slightly scruffy-looking young guys and thin young women, overly made-up and wearing spike heels. I've never seen them actually interact with anyone, so I'm guessing they are there as window dressing. Or maybe they are interns, there to watch and learn.

I am struck by the foolishness of these girls with their spiked heels. We're all standing on concrete for eight hours and at the end of the day, my feet hurt - and I'm not wearing heels. And I've seen most of the other women who are there to actually work are wearing the same type of shoes as I am. There are a few other women wearing heels, but I can tell by their strides that they are not used to wearing this kind of footwear. The decorative girls, however, walk as though they never wear any other type of shoe. And I've occasionally seen them look haughtily at the women wearing flats as though wearing immensely inconvenient shoes meant that they had won some sort of contest. (Yeah, guys - I realise that high heels make the calves look good and all, but there's a time and place and a trade show is not it.)

The thing is, if you told any of these girls about how the Chinese used to bind women's feet, the ones who could comprehend what they heard would probably be quite upset about it, never realising that they were doing something very similar to themselves voluntarily.

Yeah - keep shortening those tendons, foolish girls...

RHJMap.jpg

If they are indeed "decorative" as you suggest, then doesn't it make sense for them to package the decoration as winningly as possible? Thus the heels. I do wonder what the sales success ratio is for the decorative girls, though? Sex sells, but what does it sell? Computer products? Doubtful.

(This all reminds me of that cheesecake advert poster of Uma Thurman in the movie The Truth About Cats and Dogs. Perhaps she was posing with a computer? I don't recall it very clearly. I must say that Thurman is an odd choice for the femme fatale in that movie. She herself has said something about how the perception of her beauty is more of an acquired taste. But I digress. I do think she wears heels. I suppose most women do at some point and time. Most women do a lot of appearance-driven things. Curious that the animal kingdom leans a bit towards the males doing things and having traits appearance-driven rather than the females. But I digress further.)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Spiked heels = evil (mho)

I don't mind chunky heels as much, as long as they're comfortable (read - cushy insoles). No Manolo Blahniks for me.

Watched two movies this week (one on dvd, one in the theatres). I finally caved and bought The Haunted Mansion. Saw it in a sneak preview in '03, and hadn't seen it since. Watching it again four years later, and I realize it's not so bad (aside from Eddie Murphy, who's so-so). Also watched 3:10 to Yuma. It was decent...seemed to have a formulaic end to it. The protagonists of the film (Crowe and Bale) played off each other well. I actually felt bad for Bale's character as the story unfolded and you found out how much crud he'd been through.

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

Ahh the trophy wife/ girl..a recognisable species....

Go to Atlantic City, LA or Vegas and they seem to be indigenous.

Smart ladies know very high heels are for sitting at dinner, only when dancing with a man, Or ......

Funny how when a bunch of girls/women are at a club or event theres always that obligatory pile of purses and shoes and everyone is dancing with naked footsies!

Very high heels = not for me. Life is too damn short to risk the health of my feet, ankles, knees, back, etc. And I like my tendons the length they are, thank you very much.

A woman I know wears heels all the time. Although in her stocking feet she is shorter than me, she insists that she is 5' 6" tall. I'm 5' 4", so how a person shorter than me be 5' 6" is a mystery; I must admit that she is rather delusional about many things, though. She's been wearing heels so long she can't wear flats any more; it's too painful due to her shortened tendons. And she'll be 50 this year, so there's probably no stretching them back again. A pity, but no one forced her to do this to herself.

RHJMap.jpg

Weeel, for me it's variety. Flats aren't my favorites, but I do wear tennies. Mostly at home I go barefoot. BUT, I DO like heels, and wear them whenever I can — killer, 4-6 inchers, and they don't bother my feet, ankles or knees...yet.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

AWwwww!!!! * sniff * Bless those surfers...and the dog

Thanks Matusalem

AOL News of the Weird? What a strange place to put the dog story.

Teen Can't Hold Flower in Yearbook Pic (Because of a shotgun!)

It's a good thing our justice system is so well employed. :rolleyes:

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

Do coincidences really exist....? Nay, I think it is all syncronicity. The Universe's way of getting you to pay attention.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

• 1 month later...

How often do we forget it is the little things in life that makes us happy.....I must admit that my wee lad has given me a second childhood.....every thing is brand new and exciting through his sweet baby blue eyes.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

I am laughing..this is funny. It's a coloring book from the 60's called "The Executive Coloring book"

You can view the whole book here

Here's my two favorites

fexecolor10.jpg

fexecolor21.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'll be in Key West for PiP when my Psychology class is meeting and taking a test. I explained this to my instructor and he said he would email me the test and I could email the answers back. He said, "If you were here, you'd ace it anyhow."

:blink:

Why not just give me an 'A' and skip the emailing part? (Engineering and business classes were never like this...)