Random Topics

Patrick Hand

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Patrick...you were the 1,000 th post here!! :blink:

Hey I needed a reason to toast...another milestone..

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Warped sense of humor. Uh-huh. Patrick, you're on to something there.

Last night my car got broken into. I hope they get good use out of my supply of parking meter money. What a lousy way to try to make a living.

B)B):lol:B)B)

Why do the advertise so many commercial on children's dvd's and you have to watch them or it won't play the movie? And of all the commercial's why do they put one on about Pirating dvd"s? :o

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

A new discovery in western Egypt is going to have a major impact on what has been believed about "human" existance on this earth. Foot prints that are believed to be over two million years old have been discovered in fossilized rock. They are testing fossilized plant life from the same rock to see if the time is correct. if this is proven, then the world of science and anthropology will be eating crow again!

The article appeared in an obscure little paragraph in USA Today on tuesday. This should be front page headlines, but instead, they ran stories about that *&%$#@ football "star" caught fighting, abusing, and killing dogs, and "Should Beach Property be Rebuilt Again and Again?" To me, this discovery should be announced everywhere!

This is exactly why we should never declare arbitrarily that "this is the way it was, period!" or "this isn't the way it was, period!" without knowing. Things can change in the twinkle of time, just like this.

Bo

So ....when are they gonna discover there were more than two women pirates? * ducks * :ph34r:

Ok this has been a sort of joke with me...the collective "they" are always declaring "no, no...we really really found the oldest (insert skull, tusk or body part or species here) this time. This is much.. much older.

hehe.....right..

I wonder how "human" the human footprint is? It should be evolutionarily somewhere between the Lucy fossil (which I think they estimate to be 3 million years old) and more recent human history. If so, not quite so startling. The popular media (USA Today especially) probably doesn't spend a lot of time differentiating between what could be considered a human footprint and what could be just said to be an upright hominid footprint. Add to that the notion that carbon dating is more inaccurate the older the fossil and it may just be another link in the chain of evolution.

Still, it is interesting.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

How "human" the human footprint is will probably never be known until some "humans" decide what the absolute definition of the first "human" is...then you have the question of authenticity based on weight distribution and posture evindent in the footprint, but you could arge that the individual that left the sample may be compromised or an enigma, that erosion could play a part, that it might depend on whether the subject was running standing or walking..that.....ow my brain hurts...how do you get me started on these things? :ph34r:

Just lounging in a little boat on a creek would be so nice right now..nothing pressing to do...but just enjoy..siiigh

You are correct in the statement that the pop. media doesn't expound on the details, that is why I take the extra time to find out more on my own. It's called RESEARCH. The "human" definition includes all "Homo" species, (OK Pat and you others, go ahead with the homo jokes! :ph34r: )

This footprint would be homo erectus and probably in the transition to homo sapien. We are considered to be homo sapien sapien. Tesys are still pending, but in the region these were dicovered it blows away the previous thoughts on how man has developed and where.

Open your minds people, get out of the box and breath some fresh air for a change. :ph34r:

Bo

I actually did do a search on it and most of the responses seemed non-scientific, so I discounted them. The ones I looked at didn't cite the find as being revolutionary, but I may not have come across the same info you did. Put up a good link, I'm always glad of interesting info.

(Still, 2 million years ago is less than 3 million - the age of Lucy. You have to imagine that the evolution of the species took place over a very long period of time. On that basis, I personally don't quite see erect footsteps as being revolutionary. Admittedly, archeology is not my primary field of interest so I may be underestimating its importance.)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

I am admittedly lacking in electronic skills, I went to the computer lab with my World Civilizations professor and she looked up the subject . On Monday I will get the info and do my best to produce a link for you. Revolutionary is a bit of an overstatement possibly, but I still think it rates higher than another celebrity flaunting the laws and getting off easy.

I appreciate your response.

Bo

Sigh..though I enjoy study and reading and technological advances. I sometimes feel we are missing the romance and adventure of yet undiscovered territory as in hundreds of years ago. We are bombarded daily with explanations and facts and presented with the vivisection of our own selves. Sometimes more than we wanted to know. Plus all other things and places explained down to the nth degree. Measured, labeled and given ownership of by some municipal office or other. Which though much of it is necessary or fascinating...lacks for the zest and excitement of pioneering and uncharted territory. Wheres the mystery and the adrenaline? What's left to muse about on a simple level? No wonder we watch so much bad tv.

Heh Bo, maybe some of it...

But I'm thinking more like a ship and a star to steer her by.

Not GPS and I don't want to have to show my papers at every port and be tracked etc...how unexciting.. :lol:

Hmm. Antarctica is on my someday list...

I can't think of any reason to watch bad TV. Most of the world is covered by ocean and we haven't explored much of that. Our inner worlds are even less explored than the bottom of the ocean. New ideas, new ways of doing things, new creations, new concepts...it's really quite exciting.

"A hundred years ago, as the nineteenth century drew to a close, scientists around the world were satisfied that they had arrived at an accurate picture of the physical world. As physicist Alastair Rae put it, 'By the end of the nineteenth century it seemed that the basic fundamental principles governing the behavior of the physical universe were known.' Indeed, many scientists said that the study of physics was nearly completed: no big discoveries remained to be made, only details and finishing touches.

But late in the final decade, a few curiosities came to light. Roentgen discovered rays that passed through flesh; because they were unexplained, he called them X-rays. Two months later, Henri Becquerel accidentally found that a piece of uranium ore emitted something that fogged photographic plates. And the electron, the carrier of electricity was discovered in 1897.

Yet, on the whole, physicists remained calm, expecting that these oddities would eventually be explained by existing theory. No one would have predicted that within five years their complacent view of the world would be shockingly upended, producing an entirely new conception of the universe and entirely new technologies that would transform daily life in the twentieth century in unimaginable ways. [A black swan was preparing to take flight.]"

-Michael Crichton, Timeline

My derriere went to the beach today...so aye there is some truth to that :blink:

Ugh..it's hot and humid and my idiot neighbor is burning what smells like leaves in his &%*^ chiminea on his porch. My eyes burn. The whole house stinks. Hmm...its pottery..now where is that slingshot?

Why is it that you can be so damn tired and yet can't sleep? Where is the Sandman when you need him?

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

OOhhh or an M-80 under the ashes just waiting for tomorrow night hehehe.... nah too dangerous..hmmm

Baseball bat and a rock?