8 reales coins

Zephyr

I've wanted an 8 Reales coin, a reproduction in silver would be fine, I was looking for a "holed" coin (traditional peasant wear......rather than something in a gold plated bezel bearing an octapus with emerald eyes.....). Found some with potential....reproduced from Atocha coins cast in the silver bars from the Atocha...but getting good information on them is tough. Wouldn't have to be from the Atocha (and sterling would be fine if the coin was what I'm looking for) something before the pillars and waves....Suggestions ?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye mate. You might to be looking here. I thinks they might have what you need.

http://ferncanyonpress.com/pirates/locker.shtml

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

A hearty thanks but not quite the item...(lookin for sterling at least) did love the site though!

(try keepin the marshmellows a bit further from the burning port, when ya gets em too close they picks up all kinds of unsavory flavors from townsmen and the like)

I too am searching for a coin to wear around my neck. I'm not sure if I want somethiing with a hole in it or something which has had a band put around it for the chain to go onto. I would like gold, and would really love something authentic even if it was in rough shape. I have seen items on e-bay but sometiimes feel that the dealers are dishonest.

Aye, I agree, sometimes the information about the coins is conflicting....making me think either they don't know what they have or they don't have what they claim (reales on e-bay)...............try www.atocha1622.com, spanishmain, paradisejewelry (nice guy, but he's honest about not knowing his coins, good prices though), there are a lot of them seeming to offer quite nice reproductions. Some of the best from Kenny Miller (atocha and his own site....), I've been trying to see some pic's to decide..... (artist........not great follow through, yesterday found some new ones on the atocha site....sigh)....I am kinda excited about the idea of it being made with old silver.........I've some great silver beads and have an idea to string the coin on a leather thong with the beads tied above it (so I don't want a bezel, but a bezel would probably look better with a chain....). I was thinking of making a turks head knot as a slide....but it probably wouldn't be historically accurate if I wanted to use it in a "garment"...... would it? (don't know that I'll ever get to that anyway.....) Let me know if you run into any more sites, happy plundering!

if you want to spend the money for good coins,there are lots of places to find them;

new world treasures

shipwreck coins

1715 plate fleet

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

I got the "reale thing!!" B) I have a silver Spanish 4 reale coin from the wreck of the 1715 Spanish Plate Fleet. (12 ships wrecked on the florida coast in 1715) It was my 40th birthday gift from me 'andsome 'usband Saber. One of me most-treasured possessions. Mounted in a gold setting. I wear it nearly every day. Wearin' it now as a matter of fact!! Lucky Penny and Royaliste have both seen it, and here be a photo fer the rest o' yez...

4reale2.jpg4reale1.jpg

Me advice is to do yer homework first, pick the wreck you want a coin from, reasearch lots of 'em first, then find a reputable seller with quality mountings.

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

*salivating and eyeing up Quill's reale coin necklace*

Must... resist... shiny...beautiful...coin...necklace...precious...

*hands straying towards daggers*

*reality slap to face*

*knows Quill's hidden several flintlocks amongst her person and will defend her treasure*

*common sense says Quill's got friends in high places esp. those with cannons onboard*

*extends a greeting instead*

Quill,

That be a very fine bit o' treasure. Any pirate 'twould be proud to own it. Beautiful.

Black Pearl

"An apt and true reply was given to Alexander the Great by a pirate who had been seized. For when that king had asked the man what he meant by keeping hostile possession of the sea, he answered with bold pride. 'What thou meanest by seizing the whole earth; but because I do it with a petty ship, I am called a robber, whilst thou who dost it with a great fleet art styled emperor." Saint Augustine

B)

ARRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! Watch yer hands thar Black Pearl!! Unless ye' be wantin' t' go through life with a pair o' hooks fer hands!!!

Just imagine what will happen the first time that nature calls lad!!! That should give ye enough incentive to keep yer hands of me... eh... treasures!!! B)

Speakin' of coins...

I'm contemplatin' the idea of having the closest thing to a "penny" that I can wear...being a "lucky penny" an' all, it would seem fitting to have something along those lines hangin' about me neck B)

I have a very nice coin that was given to me by a friend, but a) it's a gift, and I don't feel right drillin' a hole in it, and b ) it's not a penny (or similar)!

I'll have to take a look at some o' the stuff comin' up in here...

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because I am robbing you, tossing you overboard, and stealing your ship!"

-the only thing more dangerous than her.. is her needle-

Speakin' of coins...

I'm contemplatin' the idea of having the closest thing to a "penny" that I can wear...being a "lucky penny" an' all, it would seem fitting to have something along those lines hangin' about me neck ;)

You may want to look into some of the old english pennies.

Check out www.harlanjberk.com

As far as getting them fit for your, however, that's a different story...

"Red Rum"

"How do you expect His Majesty's Empire to reap the wealth of the Carribean?"

"Ye STEAL it o' course!"

:) Otherwise, being a native, I've got two 1906(the year of the quake) Indianhead pennies under me masts.. there's a third 'ere somewhere, if'n ye want it... ;)

Yer spoilin' me rotten, Cap'n...ye know that, right?

*big cheesy grin!*

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because I am robbing you, tossing you overboard, and stealing your ship!"

-the only thing more dangerous than her.. is her needle-

Coins just aren't my thing. I have a few holed coins from the orient. They aren't very old, but they look cool. If anyone wants one to use as a necklace, let me know. I'll part with a few who want one. Have had a chance to buy real wreck coins, but, passed them up. Like I said, not my thing.

The web site that fair Katey posted in delaware.....discover sea museum... has a wide array of authentic wreck coins for sale. Gold silver, etc. They come in a wide range of prices. Check them out if your interested. enjoy.... Flint

setting coins...a lot of the "jewelry making" suppliers (Rio Grande for one) have nice "coin mountings" drillin a straight while on the rolln seas can be a bother. The "Spanish coin identification guide" was great. Did they find any treasure on the Whydah? Would be cool, a coin from the BotC. I'm lookin at reproductions mostly, can't work the thought of anything worth more than my car. The real ones are a joy to look at though.

That's a fyne gift lass, that's a good pyrate ye have there. May I ask, at what port did ye find him? Did ye see any like about? Maybe grayn' a bit about the temples? Thin'n hair not a problem, won't show a bit under proper pyrate head gear. I prefer a mans seen a few coasts. Gives somethin to talk about on stormy nights........

Meantime, thanks for the good leads......

ARRRRRRRR!!! First they wants me jewelry, now they wants me pirate!! I ain't partin' with neither of 'em! :ph34r:

I met Saber on-line at a now defunct role playing site called Ancient Sites. He was the Crown Prince of Egypt in those days!! We wrote together for about 3 years before we met- our characters met, fell in love, had cyberchildren and lost an empire before we met in real life. My real life relationship of 6 years ended and the crown prince stepped forward... the rest is history. :ph34r:

ARRRRRRRR!!! First they wants me jewelry, now they wants me pirate!! I ain't partin' with neither of 'em!  :huh:

I met Saber on-line at a now defunct role playing site called Ancient Sites. He was the Crown Prince of Egypt in those days!! We wrote together for about 3 years before we met- our characters met, fell in love, had cyberchildren and lost an empire before we met in real life. My real life relationship of 6 years ended and the crown prince stepped forward... the rest is history.  :huh:

ARRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

:huh: CyberBABIES....!!!!!!!!! :huh:

I've been thinking 'bout having one of them. But I'm concerned about the cyber-mornin' sickness... and the cyber-diapers. And the cyber-cutlass pokin' me from the inside.... as it would need to be the spawn of a pirate...

and I'm thinkin' I'm already cyber-pregnant... about a cyber-month along!!!!

[Eyebrow arched, thinkin' really strange cyber thoughts...]

That's a MOST interresting story, Quill.....

:huh:

Most interesting, indeed...... I think I'd like to hear more about this, if you're willing to share... I mean the history of you and Saber...

I'd say "greedy lass" but then I don't share neither. That's a wonderful tale of your meetn, warms my heart. Aye, Royaliste, if he can hold his water, thats a plus.

Well, I'm lookin at a nice repro at atocha1622.com, (59), and thinkin hard, waiting for that gestalt moment (I guess).

An' did the cyber relationship translate well ino physical proximity? I've a friend who's goin' t' sail the internet date seas.....(her most recent plan). I can't help but wonder that persons maybe so different than they type,,,,,,

Aye, lad, few ever brag about their bad habits. Mostly they be the Sea Gods gift to any woman.......This site be lackin' a subject for the love-lorn, like, "Ask Blackbeard", lonely pyrates can be askn their relationship questions and gettn professional advice from a pyrate who, if it be truth, has more experience with marriage (if not love) than any of us (an certainly more than me, who be qualifyn for a nunnery some time soon and lookn better in a habit anyway). I'm sure that no matter how many seas one sails the most difficult be the sea of love. An the juggln of a love (or three or four) in every ports got to drive a pyrate to distraction. Burnin (sic) questions like, "the last time I passed time (two days) with AnnaBella in Tortuga she give me change, what does it mean? :ph34r: "......and "We got a new mate on board and I'm thinkn its a woman...how do I let her know I'm interested?" and "does mercurial medicine really work? Or is it best to stick with the ole' hot poker?.....

.....but then maybe I'm wrong and ye already know it all.........