8 reales coins

Zephyr

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahoy-oy-oy there captain!!! Did I read that correctly?!!! We cyber-wenches are all "fat,ugly, lame, seasick lubbers wot thought they wuz datin' material"?!!!

I beg to differ me dearest Captain; me waist is smaller than plenty o' girls half my age, I aint too ugly yet, no wooden leg and I have yet to barf on yer deck!! Although, I may be sorely tempted to do that now!!! :lol: *evil snicker* Gonna have to forget my Dranimine on the next sail and read a book in rough water!! :lol:

Zephyr, yes the cyber relationship went real all right... been married 4 years this coming February. It can happen lad. It's actually a great way to get to know the person on the inside. I've known several people who met that way and ended up married a few years later. I've known of some real disaster dates too. But hey, it happens in all worlds.

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

:) Aye,there, Quartermaster, 'twas merely a ploy to pull a response from a friend out of contact. But, that said, in over 2/3 of 'pyratical' romance exchanges that have transpired since I figured out how to turn this computer on there have been complete deceptions in either fact, or photos. So, methinks 'tis a bit harder to 'kick the tires' on the online romances. As far as Davey Jones goes, I just sent him a marriage of 32 years. I'm sure ships outlast women now..... :lol:

Aye Captain, I have to agree with ye there- I know a lot of people who have been deceptive on-line as well and down-right cruel. If there is one thing I have discovered, it is that the bad ones cannot resist showing their true colors sooner or later. They can't resist being cruel when they have a shield of anonymity to hide behind. On the other hand, the good ones will become loyal friends in both the cyberworld and the real one, who will stick by you and be supportive throught life's difficulties. This cyber existance of ours brings out the best and the worst in people. :)

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

32 years! Theres' a lot a' companionship (compassion, npi) must 'ave been like runnin' up on a reef.

Aye, I've seen a few friends, doin' the "glamour shot' thing, airbrush out the chins......"witty and outgoing" (moody, menopausal).....I looked at one questionaire on a dating site once (after prolonged pep talks from happily datn' friends...one of whom be' married now, the others....), none of the answers seemed to fit and I decided I couldn't describe myself in 25 words or less and didn' want to see anyone who could (unless he be' very ZEN, then two o' three words would probably do). But then.....I come closer to Royalistes description than not.... Sigh....

(exceptin' not being lame.....or seasick......only once in my very life (crossing the English Channel on a very rough waters and it had more to do with a week of French food................an' more like sea-sick-ish)

(so it's usually churney? They need more stalls in the ladies then, had to roust someone every time nature called) ........... more likely the pastries than the bars though :ph34r:

My favorite was the channel between the New Zealand Islands, waves washn' (crashn') over the deck........a challenge just to say on your feet.............spilled a bit a' me diet coke

:) Actually, the Bay here runs the gammet from smooth to rough, warm to nipply, all in the 'microclimates'....central Bay being the roughest, depending on tide and currents. From now till spring, the winds will subside from the usual summer pattern..Stalls?..We prefer to eliminate the middleman, just hit the lee rail, and let 'er go....nothing to do with reales,tho......

Aye, but part of the glorious scenery of the Bay Area ........(past posts...... puking over the rail, peeing over the rail, hey, there goes the Royaliste!)

It's not a wonder sea voyagin be so popular!

Artemis Pepper....no, haven't run into any stamps...(but I"m realizn' I

didn't throughly serach the site (looking for "cute" halloween shapes, ghosties and the like)......you know a "printing/copy shop" (most) can make a stamp from any picture, then you could reverse the image so you'd get the proper coin relief...(can you stamp both sides? what do you use to make the mold?........no forget that, you're making a mold of it, not using the stamp......and I did (I'm imagining you've seen) see a lot of inexpensive metal and probably plastic "treasure" type coins on a lot of the "pirate" sites.........so, instead of plunder n' your gonna mint your own lad?

For my own self...I found an e-bay site with sterling (not atocha silver but maybe I'll pay a bill instead!)......going to check it out more throughly this week end....the pics looked pretty good .......

anyone know where i can find a rubber stamp imprint of an 8 reale? trying to make some reale's out of resin for a pirate party i'm going too, and a stamp that would imprint into a clay mold would make things oh so much easier.

Artemis

:blink:

That's an interseting one. Any clue where I could get my reales made into rubber stamps, preferably in Virginia since I am not sending my reales somewhere to get made, better yet I would rather not send them.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

anyone know where i can find a rubber stamp imprint of an  8 reale?  trying to make some reale's out of resin for a pirate party i'm going too, and a stamp that would imprint into a clay mold would make things oh so much easier.

Artemis

:blink:

That's an interseting one. Any clue where I could get my reales made into rubber stamps, preferably in Virginia since I am not sending my reales somewhere to get made, better yet I would rather not send them.

I had stamps made at copy/printing stores (?let your pyrate fingers do the walkn'.......yellow pages?). They (the stamps) are an exact copy of a b/w drawing so you could use either a rub or a print of your coin, touch it up for definition if you need to.....(there actually is a kit you can buy to make your own stamps (hundred$ when I last noticed)), least you wouldn't have to mail the coins if there is no local option.

Rosalinda & Artemis...what are you using for mold material? Can you mold larger items (I do where where your mind is go'n). I want to make tiles for my fireplace (shells with swirl patterns) thought to use "quick crete" but I don't think casting into beach sand will work with crete....need to tamp it into the mold......

to the "8 Reales topic....anyone know how to tell the difference between sterling Reales (looking at sterling silver reproductions, slow biz season has reduced my ambitions.....) and sterling plated pewter? found one I like on e-bay ......$ is suspiciously low......

.....ye can't trust them cyber sorties, they'll all be fat,ugly, lame, seasick lubbers wot thought they wuz datin' material.......oh,back to the rum.......

You just keep on looking, Sir... There's an 18 to 30 year old out there just waitin' for you.....

Aye, but the captn' be wantn' one what stirs 'is 'art .......but then, enough rum softens a few rough edges, or at least the perception of 'em.

Ojai this weekend? Hope t' be see'n pics a the event........

At most art supply stores, you can purchase rubber that's used for making rubber stamps, also used for making printing plates. If you have a photograph (digital even better) you can trace or print it (mirror image or reversed), then transfer the image using carbon paper to the rubber stamp thingy. Then you gotta carve out the portion you DON'T want to be part of the stamp (the background). Viola, you have a rubber stamp of whatever......

The rubber mold supplies can also be purchased from a good art supply store. As well as the plaster. Don't recall a brand name, but it's really easy to use.

I've used it to mold a variety of things (small, but detailed). Tiles would be an easy one to do, I think. You could probably get away with a flat mold since all of the detail is on one side.

Try http://www.DickBlick.com that's where I get ALL of my art supplies, and they have the rubber mold and casting stuff, too.

Regarding the sterling silver vs sterling plated pewter... the sterling silver will weigh more than the pewter, I THINK, depending on the composition of the pewter. Long time ago, pewter contained a good bit of lead (which is heavy), but now it is mostly tin and no lead content. Guess it depends on when and where it was made. Don't know if that helps though without a means of comparing one made of plated pewter to one made of solid sterling silver. I would ask the question of the seller before making the purchase... will provide some buyer protection.

Aye, it be hard to be out pillaging and plundern and the lyke, when ur sittn' in ur craft room paintn' and makn' things. I be paintn grapes/leaves/vine and southwest designs on glassware most a' last week, gettn gifts ready for the seasonal, got lots more to do an' I'm burning (npi) to be startn' me costume.....Arrrrrr

I'm givin up the coin quest (for the while). It's been an interesting search leading of fascinating historical materials and sites, and they've been the better part of the journey. The search otherwise has ranged from the out-of-my-reach$ to the dubious to the can't get enough info from the-sellers-to-be-sure-which catagory.

Do you live (completely) on your ship? Must be fantastic.

:) I'm a full-time legal(at present) liveaboard. It has moments greater than imagination,both good, and bad. Comes with the territory,and, after many years here, I'd prefer it no different. At its worst, you can always sail your bedroom and kitchen somewhere else..it's just a bunk and a galley, after all.

:) I'm a full-time legal(at present) liveaboard. It has moments greater than imagination,both good, and bad. Comes with the territory,and, after many years here, I'd prefer it no different. At its worst, you can always sail your bedroom and kitchen somewhere else..it's just a bunk and a galley, after all.

After skimming (I'll read the darn thing as soon as I get a good nautical dictionary) "The Young Sea Officer's Sheet Anchor or A Key to The Leading of Rigging and to Practical Seamanship" I've come to the conclusion that being a sailor on a tall ship has to be a life's work, and that sea captains must be underpaid. Can you get a Ph.D. in Captain?

I am still in shock that a tall ship can go on its' beam ends... <shudder>

Guess I'm more naive about sailing than I thought I was. <_<

My hat's off to ye' Royaliste, and, if I ever get south to SF, I'll buy ye a drink.

:ph34r: