movie quotes game

Fancy

Since we are doing long quotes:

You can kill us. All of us, or part of us. But if you think that's going to put the fear of god into the United States of America, and stop them from sending other flyers to bomb you, you're wrong. Dead wrong. They'll come by night, they'll come by day. Thousands of them. They'll blacken your skies and burn your cities to the ground and make you get down on your knees and beg for mercy. This is your war. You wanted it. You asked for it. You started it. And now you're going to get it. And it won't be finished until your dirty little empire is wiped off the face of the earth.

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

It's a movie set in WWII and was released in 1944

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

I thought I knew what it was but that film wasn't released in '44. Is it about the Doolittle raid?

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

Yes, the movie is about the Doolittle Raid.

It is a 20th Century Fox release.

Trivia point is that it is directed by the same director that directed "All Quiet on the Western Front".

In the interest of keeping this thread alive. the answer was - Purple Heart starring Dana Andrews. The movie was a fictionalized account about the Doolittle Raid Crew that was captured by the Japanese. In the case of the real crew part of the crew was executed by the Japanese for "war crimes", 24 hours after the conclusion of their one day "trial" that was little more than a public berating them for bombing Japan. Back to the movie- The movie is a good example of a World War II propaganda movie churned out by the studios over the war years. Since, tomorrow is Pearl Harbor Day, it seemed a somewhat relevant movie for a quote.

Well, nobody got it, please anybody go ahead and list a new quote, goodluck!

"Allowing for delays, set the bomb to detonate at three forty five. We must leave the base by three fifteen. l take it none of you...will be late."

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

I'd love to see that one sometime, Graydog. I agree; that film is definitely appropriate for today's date. If I get the chance, I intend on watching "Tora, Tora, Tora" followed by "Midway" before the weekend is over. My next door neighbor, when I was growing up, was a gentleman who was interviewed by the local TV station every year on this date. He was a Marine stationed at Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941. He continued his service to fight on Guadalcanal, where he was wounded. He spent a goodly portion of the next year in a rehab hospital and then spent the rest of the war training Marines.

Regarding the latest quote, I believe that is from "Octopussy." Am I right?

Blackbead

It is indeed. I love the way Jordan annunciates. He's not the greatest Bond villain ever, but his patter is entertaining.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

I agree . . . and he's incredibly sinister in places as well. Hard to imagine this is the same guy that was in "Gigi."

Okay, here we go, this one's easy but timely:

"What a way to fly into a war... unarmed and outta gas."

Lest we forget . . .

Here's a hint - the film revolves around an event that took place on a recent date. The aircraft type involved is known as the "Flying Fortress."

Any guesses?

"Oboe leader to oboe flight... we've flown smack into the middle of a war!"

Tora! Tora! Tora!

They were flying into Pearl Harbor to refuel and the Japanese attack started right before they got there.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

Best line in the movie.

And talk about an interesting character! Isoroku Yamamoto was an incredibly brilliant and farsighted naval commander. He spoke fluent English having spent two years studying at Harvard and a number of years as a naval attache at the Japanese embassy in Washington DC and was so taken with the American life-style that he opposed the very war that he planned so well. In addition, he was a wounded veteran of cruiser duty during the Russo-Japanese War and a successful diplomat between the wars in the international naval community. He loved to play poker and drink whiskey but was the son of a samurai. He was sort of the American version of the British feeling toward Rommel. He was so respected by the Americans that they planned an elaborate ambush of his aircraft.

Anway, you got it right, Mission, so you're up!

And speaking of "AQOTWF," has anyone ever read Remarque's other famous work, "A Time to Live and A Time to Die"?

Hum...I was going to do a hard one, but...no. Easy.

"Please, sit down before you fall down."

I believe that was Belloch in "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

So, let's try this one -

"Piece of pie"

"Cake"

"What?"

"It's piece of cake."

Blackbead

Hmmm, either we've decided to let this thread go unraveled again or this quote is too hard. Here's a couple of hints:

1. This exchange is between an American and a Russian and the Russian has mangled the expression "piece of cake."

2. At another point in the movie, the same Russian uses the expression "easy as cake."

3. The film takes place in space.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but is it from either of the 2001: A Space Odyssey or its sequel, 2010 (Odyssey Two)? Oddly enough...I was thinking it could've been a Star Trek film, but I don't remember an idiom like that ever being said.

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

You got it, Captain Sophia! It were in "2010 - The Year We Make Contact." I believe that brings the cannon to bear on you . . .

• 2 weeks later...

Black John,

That truly be an easy one - "Cool Hand Luke."

So, to get the party started again for the umpteenth time:

"What are those assholes doing on the porch?"

"Those aren't assholes; it's pronounced 'azaleas'."