movie quotes game

Fancy

They say buggered so they must be maybe British, Irish or Scottish.

AAARRRGGGHHHH!!! The Irish and Scots ARE British!!! If you're talking about British people other than the Irish, Scots, or Welsh then you mean English. "British" refers to anyone from the British Isles.

The quote has been bugging me...been thinking "I know I've seen this really recently"... it's from Reign of Fire

How about this one?

Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Hah! I love Blackadder so much! Have you seen the time-travelling "Blackadder - Back and Forth"? ...And so many wonderful lines... "The only thing the French should be allowed to host is an invasion"...

Anyway, no, it's not Blackadder - a little more of a classic (if such a thing is possible)

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Indeed yes! I love the ending theme, "Blackadder, Blackadder, a Monarch with panache. Blackadder, Blackadder, he has a nice moustache."

Great stuff that. But technically, not movie quotes, so I should've known.

Next guesser, please come forth!

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

AAARRRGGGHHHH!!! The Irish and Scots ARE British!!! If you're talking about British people other than the Irish, Scots, or Welsh then you mean English. "British" refers to anyone from the British Isles.

But it would be confusing if you say someone is British when they come from Ireland. You say Irish. If I said someone is British when they come from either Scotland or Ireland people would think me crazy! They'll tell me they are either Irish or Scottish.

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

so long holly?

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff

It is the Third Man - your go Petee

Christine, what I really meant is that if you say Scottish and Irish then you should say English, not British. People from the British Isles are all British, but if you're talking about the different countries in Britain seperately then the people from England are English.

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

Christine, what I really meant is that if you say Scottish and Irish then you should say English, not British. People from the British Isles are all British, but if you're talking about the different countries in Britain seperately then the people from England are English.

Try telling that to my grandparents, both born and raised in Scotland... if someone were to mention they were British, they'd jam a haggis down their throat ! ! !

:lol::huh::huh:

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

Precisely! And now you can all say "and try referring to my friend Ed as British, he'll stand up and ram a bowler hat and a cup of tea down your neck saying 'I'm ENGLISH...'" :lol:

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

But that's not exactly true. I have English in my family and I also have a great many of friends from England as well. They've been referred to as both English and British and both are fine for them. We speak the English language, as do they, but with a British accent. The Irish and the Scotish have a brogue, you never refer to that as an accent, especially a British one. There's also a play called, "No sex please, we're British!" Michael Crawford was in it, famed from the Phantom of the Opera. The cast was from England, as was the show and the theater. They all may be part of the British Isles, but you could never call an Irish or Scottish person British. It's as bad as calling an Australian English/British and vice-versa. But people from England are fine with being referred to as either English or British. I know, I have friends that don't care either way. Actually, United Kingdom is the official name of the nation made up of England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland.

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

OK, speaking as a genuine English person, trust me, it is a big deal to many. Irish and Scottish people ARE British, whether they like it or not. They live in the British Isles, and in fact their Celtic heritage is exactly what makes them British. English people are also British, in that we live in the British Isles - despite the fact that our primary heritage is Germanic, so strictly speaking we're less British than the Scots and Irish. :ph34r:

Now, very few Irish like to be described as British, similarly the Scots*. Most English people don't mind so much, BUT you have to get the differentiation right. If you call us British then you are referring to us as people from the British Isles, which thus includes the Scots and Irish too. You can't say "British and Scottish", it's like saying "Americans and Californians". If you differentiate between the different countries of the British Isles then it's Scotland, Ireland, Wales and ENGLAND, not Scotland, Ireland, Wales and Britain.

Actually, United Kingdom is the official name of the nation made up of England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland.

Precisely, so the people who live in those countries are English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish. NOT British, Scottish...

*FWIW I know many Scots who don't mind being referred to as British - even one who doesn't like being referred to as Scottish! Ireland, on the other hand, is not part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain (to give it the full official name), except for small Northern Ireland, so not calling the Irish "British" makes perfect sense.

Sorry if I'm coming across like an angry pedant. Living in England it IS important to me and it's infuriating when people get it wrong.

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

Okay, you know what, whatever! According to my friends, my heritage, we don't flippin care if we're called British or English! But the Irish part of my heritage does care, do not refer to them as British, ever! I have mentioned this interesting conversation to quite a few people and they think it's nuts!

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

OOI, how many of your friends who think it's nuts are actually English (by which I mean born and bred in England)?

OK, let me put it a different way. Would you, as a personal favour to me, mind referring to English people as "English" if you are referring to Scottish people as "Scottish"? Only call us "British" if you are including Scotland and Ireland. :ph34r: Thanks.

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

I know quite a few friends who were born in England. And then they have friends and family who feel the same way. That it doesn't matter to them; English or British. Ringo Starr of The Beatles has referred to himself and the other 3 Beatles as being British more than once. But I have never, ever heard any Irish or Scottish person say they are British. My grandfather was a proud and stubborn Irish, he would never refer to himself as British. As the norm, when people hear someone say they're British they think from England. They would not think Irish or Scottish unless they actually said they were from there.

But fine, we agree to disagree. I know how my friends and family feel on the matter. So, let us now go back on topic.

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

If Ringo Starr was trying to explain that the Beatles weren't American (for example) then he'd have said they were British, but if he was trying to explain the difference between the Beatles and the Bay City Rollers he'd have said "they're Scottish, we're English". The people that Mel Gibson hated in Braveheart were "English" because he was Scottish, but the people he hated in Patriot were "British" because they included the Scots too.

The bottom line on this is that if you are referring to anyone from Britain then "British" is the correct term. If you are dividing it up into the different countries within Britain then people from South of the border are "English". You can't say "Scottish and British", it's just wrong. I'm not talking here about what people would rather be called, or whether the Scots and Irish have a complex about being "British" (despite them being more British than the English are - stupid isn't it), I'm simply talking about basic correct terminology. People who live in Britain are British, people who live in England are English. Anything else, and failure to grasp this, is just ignorance.

Sorry if this comes across as p***ed off - I am just a bit p***ed off about effectively being told I'm wrong about my own country!

It's Petee's go really but since we agree this has gone on long enough I'm going to jump the queue. Try this one:

Corporal! That man, he's wearing lipstick!

Lipstick sir?

Yes.

Where?

On his face! Where do you think!

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

If Ringo Starr was trying to explain that the Beatles weren't American (for example) then he'd have said they were British, but if he was trying to explain the difference between the Beatles and the Bay City Rollers he'd have said "they're Scottish, we're English".

No, he wasn't trying to explain anything. He'd just say it "I'm British" on more than one ocassion for whatever show. Then of course there's the British Invasion the Beatles called themselves. They're all from England tho. I know that when saying anyone is from the UK, no matter which country, they are British. But people from England are referring to themselves as both British and English. My one friend from London has said more than once to people, "Yes, I'm English" And then other times I've heard her say "Yes, I'm British." I'm not insulting here, obviously not since my dad's side of the family is all English, but they do refer to themselves as both. Maybe you don't, but there are some who do and it ends up confusing people. And then some of the Irish and Scots I've known have never said they are British. Never worded it that way I should say.

As for the quote.....hmmmmm...... Is it a modern movie? Meaning the time of the movie, not when it was made.

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

Define modern: it's not set in the present day - but it is set in the 20th century

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

Yes it's funny, no it's not Rocky Horror

Clue: it's one of a long running sries of films

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

:huh:

Sounds like it should be from the TV show "M*A*S*H*"...

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."