A Pirate Parade Float In the Making!!!

How did you manage to mount the mast and is it sturdy enough to travel down the freeway?

Don't give me that crazy look saying, "freeway," unless you were planning on going to and coming back home from the parades at parade speed.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

El Pirata,

The mast comes down for travel and disassembles into two pieces- The eight foot section of the mast is a single piece, and the yardarm/crows nest/top mast assembly is the second piece. The base of the mast fits upright into a square wooden box that is bolted onto the floor of the Land Shark using Simpson Strong Ties. For additional stability, there are lines running from the mast to the bow and stern of the ship and lines from each end of the yardarm to the port and starboard sides.

It's surprisingly easy to raise and lower the mast. I can even do it alone. It just slides in/out of the box and ties down. The bowsprit, aft cabin laterns, figurehead and the cabin supports on the stern also remove for travel. We made everything very beefy and used the Simpson Strong Ties throughout so that it would hold up at freeway speeds.

Everyone,

WE HAVE OFFICIALLY DECLARED THE LAND SHARK IS FINISHED!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

The next set of photos will be following the parade on Sunday. The figurehead arrived today and will look lovely on the bow. Time to head on over and join in the Land Shark's naming party on the Rabble Rousing topic!

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

Thanks, E.P.

I'll have some better ones after the parade, with everything assembled and a crew of pirates! :D

Make sure you have someone watching the parade taking pics otherwise you and your scurvy crew might forget to take pictures in the heat of the battle.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

Totally awesome job you did on the Land Shark!! Hard to believe it's that same hollowed out shell of a boat!!

*applauds Claire and Bob* :D

The Gates of Hell are flung open.....

from the firey mist steps forth....The Legend....

The woman everyone warned you about....

They didn't exaggerate!

~~SAVE THE ROYALISTE~~

Tis delightful to see. By chance, who be the lovely swashbuckling blonde with ye group? I be askin about the MALE blonde pirate. He be mighty fine lookin. ;)

~Tori

Like any unmanned ship, a novice sailor will eventually steer into the wind and then in circles.

Tis delightful to see. By chance, who be the lovely swashbuckling blonde with ye group? I be askin about the MALE blonde pirate. He be mighty fine lookin. ;)

The one in the black and red?

That be our dread whipcracker, Neko :D Able to wrap ankles and whack bells like Indiana Jones if given the opportunity to do so.

"Sword? Oh, you mean" *snap-yank* "THIS sword? The one you don't have anymore?"

Aye, one needs t' be mindful if that bloody whip is in his hands..or any other implement of punishment. His favorite line is "Free floggings, no sin required..."

*mindfully tucks the tail-end of her coat about her backside*

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because I am robbing you, tossing you overboard, and stealing your ship!"

-the only thing more dangerous than her.. is her needle-

I was wonderin about some of the wenches wether they be attached or otherwise indesposed er not.

Argh!

Twas' a great event ta be at, 'cept for that Tales of the Seven Seas Lassie wakin' us up at 4 AM ta set up the float.

But, the float did float on the land, and a good time was 'ad by all. The on-lookers got ta' experience a pirate Christmas, and nothin' can beat that (ceptin' fuzzy pirate slippers...but that be on another thread we be discussin' those)...

If any o' ye have a reasonably speedy internet connection, here be the video of us on TV. If ye be viewin' it on a home dial-up connection, plan for a long upload time of about 90 minutes. Ye can always upload while ye be doin' other things or overnight. Enjoy pirates!!

CLICK TO SEE THE VIDEO

You need to go to wherever you downloaded the file in your hard drive and double click it. If you're not sure where you downloaded it to, run a search for SJHP.AVI in your hard drive. It should have launched after you downloaded it on it's own. If double clicking the file doesn't work, you may need to download realplayer or another player that plays .AVI files.