A Pirate Parade Float In the Making!!!

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottle of rum. While being cheap, McCormicks would not be a choice here. Flor de Caña would be my first choice but it is a little on the hard to find side, perhaps a little of the Captain's Private Reserve.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

I was planning to do the naming party as soon as the construction is complete. Can't name a half finished ship! Yeah I'm kind scared to pour anything liquid on the Land Shark and if the bottle doesn't break on the first try, it's supposed to be bad luck. I'm not sure what to do about that aspect of it. Maybe we could play it safe by just drinking a toast and pouring one into the Land Shark rather than breaking the bottle on her hull.

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

I like this idea I read about........

"The Tudors did it differently. The king’s representative would drink to the ship’s good luck. He would then pour wine on the four cardinal points of the compass"....actually...learned a wee bit about them vikings to boot. I don't think ye be wanting to tie someone to the front as a sacrafice though. :ph34r:

And now me curiousity and taste buds be peaked about that Flor de Caña. Muchos Gracias, El Pirata.

Captain of The Morrighan.

I was planning to do the naming party as soon as the construction is complete. Can't name a half finished ship! Yeah I'm kind scared to pour anything liquid on the Land Shark and if the bottle doesn't break on the first try, it's supposed to be bad luck. I'm not sure what to do about that aspect of it. Maybe we could play it safe by just drinking a toast and pouring one into the Land Shark rather than breaking the bottle on her hull.

It worked for the Greeks...and others...pour some, drink some......I like the idea of pouring to the four directions (RyannM)......I do believe it's the thought that counts.....or a hollywood type break-away-glass bottle (like ye don't have better things to do than find one......)..............it's wonderful!

Fred might stand-in as the sacrafice......

I want to post a special thank-you to the following people as patrons of the Land Shark's figurehead, which was just purchased this morning.

Captain Jack

Nyre

&

Royaliste

Originally, Royaliste offered to allow us to use Lady Liberte, the figurehead from his ship on the Land Shark for our first parade. As the figurehead of the Royaliste is a one-of-a-kind, hand-carved work created by an artist from a maritime museum, I was both overwhelmed by Royaliste's generosity and absolutely petrified that something might happen to the figurehead.

That's where Nyre and Captain Jack stepped in. They offered to make a casting of the Royaliste's figurehead and reproduce it for the Land Shark. They made a long drive to the ship over the course of two weekends and bought the materials out of their own pockets. In the end, the methods we tried didn't have the desired result.

So this morning, despite their family's recent personal loss, Jack and Nyre contacted me to let me know that they'd purchased the lovely mermaid figurehead you see in the images below.

Tremendous thanks to all three of you. *giant hugs all around!!*

You guys have got way above and beyond on this one!

The figurehead is being named "Nyre" after her "Mum". :lol:

85_1.JPG

f2_1.JPG

29_1.JPG

When ya get time, "Arg, Arg". And if you still want to make a cast of the other figurehead. Here is a great set of instructions on how to do it properly. Mold Instructions You will need to modify them a bit because you are doing a "all around" casting. I've done them for years so sometimes when I try and type out all the instructions I miss a step. But using this document works pretty well. Now I would do this as a "box mold. First doing one side and letting it set. Then Build another box do the other side. Using a release agent on the plaster. Then when it fully sets. "Break" the mold apart and remove the figurehead. Then you put a release agent on the inside of the mold. Put them together and do a "Slush mold. Which is basically pouring in liquid latex. Slushing it around. Once a few good coats have been done and pretty dry. Use a two part expandable foam or in this case get that spray foam insulation and fill it and let it expand. Then when it's dry. Bust the mold and Voilà. BTW one of the best release agents I've found is Pam Cooking Spray. Easier to clean off the latex as well. To paint I use an air brush with the largest needle it will hold. Then use a mixture of One part rubber cement, one part Red Devil Latex paint and Ten parts Rubber Cement Thinner. Shake well and spray. Keep another bottle of just thinner and every-once in awhile clean your needle. Goes on gloopy but it dry very smooth.

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

Awesome... thanks Deacon for the directions. I'll point Royaliste towards them and he can decide what he'd like to do. He did want to produce some reproductions of the figurehead.

El Pirata, I should have photos of the finished Land Shark up at the end of this weekend if everything goes according to plan. So far we're on schedule and everything is looking good. It's looking pretty much like the photos at the end of the web page right now, because the last part of the work is completing the pieces for the assembly. Building the rails, painting them, assembling the mast etc. But I've got almost everything done, just have to put it all together now.

I found a battery operated "candle" among some christmas novelties that will go in the bowsprit lantern. I found two electrical "candles" that can plug into the generator and will light the lanterns I have hanging on either side of the aft cabin door.

Oh yeah, and this might make some excellent blackmail material if you ever need some. :D

LandSharkGaryKissingFigurehead.JPG

Just kidding Gary, don't get yer panties in a knot. RODL!!!!!

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

:D Yeah, the Captain is passionate about his ship, eh?!!

Thanks, E.P. I'm happy about how it's turning out. I really didn't know when I started this if it would work well or not and it's really a thrill to see it working out OK. I 've also never built anything even close to this size before, so that's kinda cool too. Now's the fun part where it all comes together! woohoo!! :D

Just waiting for Gary to see my post, maybe we'll start WWIII again but probably not, he's getting lucky in a few hours so he'll be happy no matter what.

Did you figure out how you were going to mount the mast?

Wow... looking good.... What parade is this going to be in Milady???

We are just starting on our float for Gasparilla.. it is due Jan. 31st.... we better hurry it up.....we have to make a smaller version of the Titanic.. with smoking stacks.... I can't wait till it is finished!!!

Gabriella :blink:

cabinfreindsbanner-vi.jpg

rrrrrrrrrrrrr, she be look'n good Quill. Sure do miss ya all and Saber too. Had a special supprise for Saber now he's agonna hav to wait. Thanks also for your kind thoughts and words.

It's become a moral imperitive to get the casting of Lady Liberty, it's toooooooooooooooooo goooooooooooooooooooood an idea to give up on. We'll try again later. By the by I want's a copy o'land sharks figurehead too. Greedy little thing aren't I.

Hugs, and kisses all around (Quill just the hugs for now, ya got a ship to finish).

Take lots o' the strange reproductions ya take with that strange silver box o'yourn next wee-end.

Nyre

:) :)

Nyre, it's good to hear from you- we've been thinking about you and Captain Jack and hoping everyone is hanging in there OK. Sure, you're welcome to cast Nyre the figurehead too! :D I will have lots of photos and there is a link were you can order a parade video of the event on-line afterwards. I'll post it later for anyone interested.

Lady Elaina, the first parade for the Land Shark is next weekend, Sunday Dec. 7th for the San Jose Holiday Parade in San Jose CA. It will also be in the Dublin CA St. Patrick's Day Parade in March and Carnaval San Francisco in May. Maybe others. I'd love to see photos of your float!!

The Land Shark is nearly complete, except for the bowsprit, which is waiting on the arrival of the figurehead before it can be attached. I don't have photos because it is POURING rain here, so it's all under tarps.

There are now electric lights in glass lanterns on the back cabin on either side of the door. The name LAND SHARK is on the back of the cabin. The cherubs are mounted on the back cabin. All the railings are up and mounted. All the painting, excepting minor touch-ups is complete. The ship's wheel is up, the mast/crows nest is done, but disassembled under the tarps. The cannons have been assembled and tested. I filled my whole house with smoke tonight... LOL they work pretty good!!

Bob has been working very hard on the Land Shark. As you can see by this photo, he's now become a martyr...

StBob.JPG

:lol: And I'm sure he has construction wounds to show as well.

Still checkin' daily for new pictures. :lol: It is just incredible what you and your family have done. A very warm thanks in sharin' all the trials and tribulations of this journey with us here.

At last!! The latest photos are up!!!

LandSharkAlmostDone4.JPG

CLICK HERE FOR MORE PHOTOS!

We had two more donations- Ryann MacGregor donated this beautiful book to serve as the ship's log!!! So now we can have a record of all the pirates who have "signed the articles" and sailed on the Land Shark!! THANKS RYANN!!!!!

LandSharkShipsLog.jpg

And our good friend Charlie came up and helped us with the final phase of construction.

Incredible job you did on the Land Shark!! No finer ship be sailing the concrete seas!!

*applauds*

The Gates of Hell are flung open.....

from the firey mist steps forth....The Legend....

The woman everyone warned you about....

They didn't exaggerate!

~~SAVE THE ROYALISTE~~

It looks great!!!! It's rather awe inspiring when you look at the first picture and then latest. I would never have had the foresight to see making this from that little dinghy. Arrrrrrrr...she be a fine lookin' ship. :ph34r: *raises her tankard to good ship Land Shark and her fine crew*

Thanks lasses!

I got a bit more done today- We have the ship's bell that was on Jeff's barrel mounted on the post behind the ship's wheel. The lantern that hangs off the bowsprit is finished and the battery operated "candle" is installed so it will light up. The mounting assembly for the bowsprit is finished and about all that is left to do is mount that, one cabin support and mount the figurehead.