How Do You FEEL Now?

PyratePhil

A lot of it could be all these young parents out there who don't have a clue as to what to do. The kids have more control over them instead of the other way around. I know cultures is another factor. In Asian culture they let their kids be as wild as they want til the age of 6. Then they become all strict on them. How confusing for the kids!

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect our parents said this same thing.  And their parents... and their parents...

Either chaos is taking over, or it's just a matter of perspective... or something else...??? :D

Well, my mom and I have talked about it and she says that there's definitely a difference between kids nowadays and when I was a kid. And all of her friends have made the same observation.

One of the problems is that more recently people seem to have a problem with being personally accountable and this is spilling over into how they raise their kids. So many of these folks assume that their kids will learn good manners by osmosis, completely forgetting that their parents had to work very hard to teach them any manners.

And hey - my hormones are finally back to normal - yippee! :D

RHJMap.jpg

Miss the good old days where a parent would beat their kids with in an inch of their life. :D

Now, if you hit yer kid, yer kid can sue you. By hit of course I mean a good spanking. You can't even spank yer kids anymore without getting in trouble. Many of us lived by the spanking if at all we screwed up. Boy, did we learn fast not to disbehave! And guess what, we all turned out just fine.

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

I have to say my kids are well behaved and have good manners, but that is also because they know that if they dont either me, or my ex will come down on them.

But yeah I agree I learned not to do stupid things when I got in big trouble, or was it I learned not to get caught doing stupid things, but yeah I turned out ok. :D

A lot of it could be all these young parents out there who don't have a clue as to what to do. The kids have more control over them instead of the other way around. I know cultures is another factor. In Asian culture they let their kids be as wild as they want til the age of 6. Then they become all strict on them. How confusing for the kids!

that being said do you know that in asia haneous crimes are almost non existant!

I'd have to say confuse the little rug burners and get results worth our existance without fear!

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

Even though they've been dragged kicking and screaming into the Western way of doing things, most Asians still have very deep roots in their past - think honor, respect, and morality.

It's only when the decadent West influences their kids do they lose control.

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

So many of these folks assume that their kids will learn good manners by osmosis...

And hey - my hormones are finally back to normal - yippee!  :rolleyes:

Glad to hear you are feeling better!

Yep, good point, osmosis. I believe some people are just too lazy to fix the situation. Others feel guilty about the lack of time the spend with their kid, so they let the kid get away with murder. Still others don't even know there is a problem. And... there are more kids! So there is more to notice. Sometimes, my kids are as good as gold. Sometimes one of them acts up. Sometimes both. But mostly, they are well-behaved. However, if you see one having a fit, you'd probably say "look at that guy, he can't control his kids." In reality, it's just random chance that you caught us at a bad moment. And with more kids around, the chances of catching kids being bad goes up.

Btw, my kids...

bullyboys.jpg

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I've noticed this interesting trend while out shopping:

There will be a kid who is obviously being BAD (screaming, crying, begging for toys in un-cute ways). After said kid throws a temper tantrum that is so loud the entire store is watching them the parents loudly shame the kid by yelling things like, "No one here feels bad for you" or "You know everyone here thinks you are a brat and you're ruining their day" or some other statement that the parent is making so that the other customers feel bad for them. I've seen it happen at least five times this year. Personally I don't feel sorry for the parent in that situation.

It's easy for me to say though, I don't have kids, but I might someday. I highly respect everyone who raises kids with love and intelligence (and patience, god the patience you guys must have!). It's gotta be hard these days.

Has anyone seen the counting thing that some parents do? The kid is being a total brat and you'll hear the parent say, "Stop doing that, I'm counting." They start counting, the kid continues to cut up and the parent is still going back and forth with this idiotic threat. They keep saying they will be in trouble when they reach the end of a certain number. They usually never do, they just keep threatening to do something, but don't.

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

Exactly, it works only if you follow thru. But, many times I just see the parents standing there counting and threatening to do something. So it's like the kid keeps goating them on, seeing if they'll ever carry out that threat.

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

Oh hell yeah!!! Kids are just like adults, only more devious. Expect them to do anything and everything to get their own way. And the keep at you, with the crying and the whining and sooner or later, hopefully sooner, you have to put your foot down.

But they are cool. They ask all sorts of neat questions. Watching their little minds unfold is... illuminating. You get to see something that you normally don't see, it's like the emergence of a butterfly. The transformation from a helpless baby to a little curious human is really amazing.

My Home on the Web

I wonder if that isn't part of the problem. People are too willing to step back and let someone else worry about it, when there is a chance they could help. I wonder if our ancestors back in the tribe worked it that way? I imagine tribal support structures must've been better than ours.

Time to start re-enacting Oetzi.

ps - not pointing fingers at you Christine, just thinking is all

My Home on the Web

But in this case, I can't just go and step in where my cousin's son is concerned. That is not my place and most parents get pissy when others step in. I can play with him and such, but when it comes down to the major parenting stuff that is my cousin's and his ex-wife's place, not anyone else's. Tho, my cousin is quick to dump his son on any one of us in the family so he can go out on the town at night. Ugh, it's a mess really!

christinebarbossagy7.jpg