'Confederate Privateers', Yaarrgh!

the Royaliste

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

***Surveys scorched breeches and muzzles, stares seaward***

I hardly know where to begin!.....120+ rounds from my guns, and that's not countin' the fort and the Hawaiian Chieftain! :) My thanks to the crews, ship's, artillery batteries, and all who contributed to make such a spectacle........... :lol: ..........So many moments, I hardly have a 'favorite' part!...Both ships exchanging broadside after broadside in front of the Fort, or....Mebbee I'd loved to have been a shoreside tourist when the Hawaiian Chieftain and the Royaliste battled toe to toe up Raccoon Strait..........Jeesh! Talk about a spectacle!!! :lol:

*Snappy Salute*.......Learn history by re-living it!

CSRoyalisteCrew.jpg

:lol:

Whoa what a weekend. Captain had the Royaliste loaded for bear, (Northern Bear) Cannons primed, charges laid ready to load, flintlocks and long rifle trembling with excitement in the hands of there masters.

Wind plentiful blowing in passed the Golden Gates, sun shining brightly on the scene unfolding before the entire bays eyes and I do mean there was eyes at all corner of the bay, like dancing through a school of minnows on the water with Union cannon fire raining down on the swift and deadly Royaliste.

I don't know that you could dream a day like this, great friends, good weather and the pride of the San Francisco Bay maintaining her dominance upon the waters.

From Captain and First Mate to bosom and seaman, the crew did an outstanding job, one everyone should be well proud of.

Three cheers for the soldier at the Fort, the great crew and ship Hawaiian Chieftain and most of all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE BATTLE CREW OF THE ROYALISTE AND HER CAPTAIN!!!!!

A very tired...........

:lol:

Saber

Ahoy mates!! What a weekend on the bay! I hardly know where to begin!

Saturday morning, we arrived dressed for action with most of the crew in the garb of Confederate Privateers, Akasha as a captive 'damsel in distress' and me as the 'dockside doxie' in bloomers!

We started made our first attack on the fort with the deck guns blazing at 1pm. On shore, ground charges made for an exciting attack- when the Royaliste would fire, on shore, there would be an exposion, with dirt, smoke and Union soldiers flying in all directions!

As we made our attack, we got a surprise visit from an old friend- the pilot of one of the WWII Russian fighter planes who attacked us from the air! He made a low, sweeping dive at the Royaliste and tipped his wings to the ship before disappearing over the horizon!

The Hawaiian Chieftain arrived at about 3pm and made her attack on the Royaliste! The two ships battled it out in an epic sea battle, with shots being fired from both ships and the cannoneers on shore!

Finally, the Confederate ship Royaliste was chased down Raccoon Strait with the Hawaiian Chieftain close behind! More shots were exchanged and the windows in every house in Tiburon were rattling! We then headed for home in Sausalito, ready to do it all over again on Sunday!

Sunday morning came far too early for many of our privateers who were out raiding a High School Grad Night until 3am, but the battle crew of the CS Royaliste dragged themselves from thier bunks, drawn by the smell of bacon and eggs! After a well-earned hearty breakfast, we headed out again, thirsty for battle!

We were joined on deck by two Civil War sharp shooters, whose rifles joined the guns of the Royaliste in making our final attack on the fort. Once again, the Hawaiian Chieftain arrived to come to the fort's rescue and engage the Royaliste!

From my perch in the ships ringing, I had a great view of the smoke, flames and gunfire on all sides, we shouted taunts at the opposition, gave rebel yells and swore revenge when our fifer and drummer where "shot'!!!

Following the battle on Sunday, as we came along the Sausalito city front, we were surprised to find a crowd gathered to greet us and we returned their waves as we sailed home!

Today, I'm exausted, sunburnt, bruised and achy from hanging on in the rigging all through the battle, but I had one of the best weekends I've ever had in my life!!

THREE CHEERS FOR THE ROYALISTE, CAPTAIN AND CREW!!!!!!

HIP-HIP HUZZAH!!!!!!

HIP-HIP HUZZAH!!!!!!

HIP-HIP HUZZAH!!!!!!

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

How totally and completely AWESOME!

Even though my ancestors fought on the other side, a big HUZZAH! for the Royalist and her crew. Long may she sail! :lol:

Please post pictures ASAP!

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

From Captain and First Mate to bosom and seaman

Were ye talking about the bosun, or about the lovely ladies we had on board? :lol:

sepiaroyaliste.jpg

There's our "aged" picture fer yer convenience.

This weekend certainly was grand... best I've had so far on Royaliste. More cannon, pistol and rifle fire than you could shake a stick at, and the little depth charges certainly were cool. The amazing incompetence of Union gunners... never did hit CSS Royaliste!

A big thank you to the Crew, Mr. Dog, and most especially the Ship and Her Captain for a fabulous weekend. Here's to many more like it.

*Sits on quarterdeck, barefeet on caprail, not one, but two blunderbuss in lap*

..Don' mind me, I'm just sippin' me iced tea, 'avin' a tot RR two 'o rum, an' lookin' fer Yankee stragglers! :rolleyes: ..pulls ramrod, stirs tea............

Stand Down, and ye may just live...

Ah. ;)

The weekend was so deeply satisfying on so many levels! I echo everything the Cap’n, Saber, Quill, and Desert Pyrate have said, and can hardly add anything else, however:

Saber mentioned that it would be hard to dream days like this, but I have actually had such a dream since first I ever sailed on a tallship: a crew of like-minded souls sailing out on a historical tallship, recreating for a while life as it was “back in the day,” engaging in thunderous battles by land and sea. All crew, no passengers. All of a mind to work together for the honor of their ship and their country. The Captain strong, determined, prepared. The wind just so, the ship heeled over, making pass after pass on the enemy fortress … then coming about and ferociously engaging an enemy ship!

Ah.

Yes, learning history by living it, passing on the lore and traditions of our ancestors, educating people in a way that books never can. I’m sure any spectators to the events of the weekend were touched by what they witnessed. When people ask us why we reenact, there’s always a lot of chatter about educating the public, having a love of history, honoring ancestors, etc., and they are all valid reasons, to be sure – but at its best, it is also just about the most fun human beings can have (with funny clothes on ... :rolleyes: )

We are, without a doubt, “the luckiest pyrates of all.”

Thank you all for making it possible.

Cheers,

CT Ben

;)

PS: Aye Cap’n, indeed those RR the drummer’s sticks! He called me nearly first thing his eyes were open this morning, asking about ‘em! He said to tell you again, and all of the crew, too, what a great time he had this weekend. The riflemen also asked me to tell you how much fun they had on Sunday – hands, faces, and muskets filthy with powder – they figured they went through about 200 rounds between them!

PS#2: Sure, ol’ Ben is up fer that Wooden Boat Show, if’n crew RR music be needed!

What a great weekend! Thanks to all who put the time into making it happen.

They say war is hell, but I'm seein' me day job as a lot more hazardous to me well-being than a battle in the company o' good comrades.

:rolleyes:

Ahoy mates.... this letter just arrived by messenger from the enemy!!! I suggest we compose a fitting response, eh?

"I wish to congratulate the captain and crew of the Royaliste on their skilled sailing on Saturday and Sunday. Despite the best efforts of my gun crew, You were able to evade all efforts by our gun to dismast or otherwise impede your efforts to carry out the desires of the dastardly secessionist Confederate States. Your shells were very well placed, resulting in injuries to several of my crew, however, Capt. Rogers, our doctor, ensures me that they will all be fit for duty soon, and none of the injuries will be permanent.

I look forward to the opportunity to confront you on the field of honor again, and hope that the Benecia Armory will provide more effective ammunition as I know my gun crew put forth maximum effort, and our aim was true. Obviously, the fault must have lain in the poor shells with which we were supplied.

Next time, you may not be as fortunate.

Until then, may you sail with honor and will have my respect for your skills.

Respectfully,

Sgt. Scott Foster

Chief of the Piece

Gun 1

Shneider's Battery

3rd Us Artillery."

The Ship's Company of the CSS Royaliste wishes to thank Sgt. Foster and the 3rd US Artillery for their compliments, and extend our own. The Ft. Reynolds battery fought with valiance and honor whilst attempting to further the plans of the Northern invasion of the Confederate States.

Though major damage was not caused to Royaliste, we report several very close misses. Though the wounds to our musicians appeared to be grievous, the Ship's Surgeon happily reports that the nine-inch splinter in the fifer's neck missed all vital sections of the body, and that the drummer's finger might not have to be taken off after all. The Surgeon and the musicians are all confident that they will be playing Dixie right up through the eventual Southern victory.

CSS Royaliste hopes that the Benicia Armory may supply your battery with effective powder soon. However, we are confident that necessity is the mother of invention, and the South has the upper hand in this regard. Therefore, you may expect a further increase in powder amount and quality on our ship as well.

Rest assured that we await with great anticipation future engagements.

With respect,

the Crew of CSS Royaliste

What d'ye be thinkin', crew? Be it fittin'?

When we're out on the water, ships are constantly pulling up for a closer look at Royaliste. We usually respond according to who is on board-

If they look like they are having fun, we shout something like "PREEEEPARE TO BE BOARDED!!" or "GIVE UP YER WOMEN AND YER RUM!!"

If there are kids, we get pretty theatrical and will pull out all the swords and give 'em a big 'ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!"

In this photo, we had quite a crowd of boats trying to come watch what was going on. This was just one that came in for a better look at the battle.

What blew me away was that when we pulled in along downtown Sausalito, the crowd that was standing at the shore to greet us! They'd watched the whole thing from the far side of the bay and waited for us to come in! Now that was impressive! We hadn't been firing for a good 20 minutes by that time and they were waiting there for us to come by!

dang that does sound like a load o' fun.

;)

I'm thinking of sailing into dana point when they have their tall ship event. I figure as long as I give the tall ships a wide berth there shouldn't be to many complaints.

;)

'n oh well if'n there is.

;)

it be easier to beg for fogiveness than ask fer permission.

;)

Sounds like a great sea battle was had; my congrats to all!

You Confederate privateers need to set sail with OUR list:

confederateprivateers@yahoogroups.com

We just-today are celebrating the anniversary of getting our letters of marque, back on June 18, 1861. We're taking on personae of crew members and will be doing diaries as to what's going on, as if we were then and there.

Capt. William :)

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"