What lured you to pyracy?

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think with me it was in my families blood. When I lived up north my grandmother used to tell me stories about pirates and all her adventures in Florida. She also had a pretty big pirate ship collection, models, paintings, etc. Even Jewelry.

Finally we moved to Florida when I was 7, and all I remember is how I fell in love with the ocean. You could not get me out of there unless you dragged me out. (Which happened allot). That's were I got the nick "mermaid girl" and later became one, but that is another story...

I used to sit on the sand and take my grandmas binoculars and see if the sail boat way off shore was a schooner or tallship, I was obesessed. (and only 7).

When I got older the attraction to piracy became stronger, and I began to read books like Peter Pan, Treasure Island, and all my fav movies were Frenchmans Creek, the Pirate Movie, etc. (I was about 10 at this point).

I let it go for a while, but have always loved pirates. The time I had in Key West was amazing. My first sail was aboard a pirate ship. LOL Go Figure. I guess dreams really do come true, never give up on them. I never did.

Gabrielle ;)

cabinfreindsbanner-vi.jpg

Like many others, I have always been fascinated with pirates; their history, myths, lore, books and movies. I love Grace O'Malley, Anne Bonny and Mary Read. I have always looked for strong female role models over the male ones. I love Errol Flynn for his timeless romantic portrayal of the n'r do well seafarer (that is fairly wicked with a blade)

I was fascinated with the tragedy that befell Port Royal and felt sorrowed that I would never be able to see it with my own two eyes.

I never took the chance and performed until I went to KCRF in 98. Then spent a couple of years playing merchant wench, the next season saw me portraying upper nobility (queen's handmaiden followed by Dutchess of Argyll). I have always drawn on my family's genealogy (and I can't do BFA to save my life!) and it has only added fuel to the fire, so to speak.

In 2001, a friend of mine and I started toying with the idea of playing pirates because there weren't any at the local faires we both did. She fell in love and I let the idea sit idle for another time.

In 2002 while preping for the nobility role, this character, Emerald Shaunassey swaggered her way firmly into my thoughts, complete with family history and background. Being the typical a*** retentive book worm I am, I delved back into the world of Pyracy and Irish History. Between an ancient book about Port Royal and the bits and pieces of history I could find on Grace O'Malley, the rest of Emerald was completed.

I had hoped to debute Emerald in 2003 but was turned down because there were already "to many pirate like characters". So, being my usual devious self, I took a position with the local faire as a pub wench, Caitlynn O'Malley aka Emerald Shaunassey in disguise. One month later, I had several ladies hitting me up to do "that pirate thing" and if I was interested in doing a group of pirates for faires. After much deliberation and worrying (it was my storyline and "baby" after all), I agreed. The research began in true earnest

Thus, "The Ladies of the Salty Kiss" were born and the rest ... is history.

Now, just to keep up with the madness of it all! Haha!

Ahhhh, Imagination ... what a wonderful neurosis. :lol:

Cap'n Emerald

Captain Emerald Shaunassey O' The Salty Kiss

www.TheLadiesoftheSaltyKiss.com

I had the incredible fortune of growing up on the south east coast on a small island in South Carolina called St. Helena, minutes from Charleston or Savannah.

Everyday during the summers, I was running along the dunes in search of treasure, or sneaking through the palms at night in hopes of finding Cap'n Kidd burying his.

The first toy I built was a wooden sword, and my father built a treehouse very similiar to the Swiss Family's. My first Jolly Roger adorned it's door.

When I was old enough, I got a small boat to run around the marshes with, and wouldn't you know it, the skull and crossbones on the bow. My current boat is named the " Revenge", after Stede Bonnet's ship.

I've been a pirate for Halloween more times than I can count. This past year I attended both the Morehead City " Blackbeard Fest" and the " Pirates in Paradise"... pure heaven! I actually get paid to dress as a pirate and entertain people at parties up and down the east coast for a company on Hilton Head Island.

As an artist/ carpenter I've painted many a pirate mural and even built a 45 foot 3D pirate ship for a stage backdrop. Currently I'm remodeling two local bars into pirate taverns and having a blast.

I have had a blessed life and couldn't ask for more. :)

So as all of you can see, if I wasn't a pirate than I wouldn't be!!!!!!! :(

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

The Movies., Disney., Being a kid and sword fighting with Dads Drum Sticks (Musketeers).,an insatiable delight with the beach., (Huntington.,Seal., Tin Can.,Redondo.,and Santa Monica). Then came Santa Catalina Island and Avalon. Growing up was such fun., then it was gone., and then it was forgotten., Work came., Bills of all sizes for all reasons..,and some age. Then I went to the Philippines.., I saw Coconut Trees.,White Sand Beaches.,CLEAR ocean waters to 150 ft clear bottoms., coarl reefs., and a RICH History in Ferdinand Magellan., Who was in fact Greased (Killed) there by a tribal chief., Lapu-Lapu. Then came the rest of spain., And *I found myself., wanting to purchase a Beach of my own., A boat., Build a 4 walled Concrete private Marina..and the money started to come., the work got better., the beach was purchased.,( a Life I could not financially achieve in my own country?) then the nieghbor was bought., and again 2 more times., and The Pirate from Childhood came ALIVE., along with Greed and an Insatiable Obsession for Treasure (in order to afford such things)"Saving The ALL Mighty Dollar".Discapline came., "G I V E - M E - T H A T - H O R I Z O N" yea..., I am "Hooked" no pun intended., I push for this Daily., it is not a game for me., but an obsession., its in my daily thoughts and work., And I am catching up!

I Love it!

:( HarborMaster :(

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Pirates? What's not to love? To be at sea, and to be free...

A few years ago I was working as a chat room host on AOL in the now-defunct Urban Legends forum. We didn't allow role-playing in regular chats, but I, and a few other hosts, lobbied for an all-role-playing chat. Unfortunately the powers-that-be gave the job of running that chat to someone else, and they started with a Gangster Chat. I thought that if I was to get a chance to do such a thing what would I do? Pirates!

It was an easy choice to make. I had spent a lot of time fantasizing about being a Pirate as a kid, riding the ride at Disney, making all the POTC models, etc. I always admired Ceril Richard's performance as Captain Hook in Peter Pan (the Mary Martin version), and wished I could someday play the part myself. Alas, I never had the opportunity. As a young man my friends and I would often "play the pirate" sailing on a friend's boat.

When I eventually took control of the role-playing chats I quickly wrapped up the Gangster thing, and changed it to "Swashbucklers" which was highly popular. Although I intended the chat to be historically accurate, it quickly evolved (devolved?) into fantasy. Extremely successful, it ran for 43 weeks (if I remember correctly). It was followed by a Western (Rhoid Pyle was the name of the recurring villain in that), Sci-Fi Comedy, Medevial Epic, Horror theme, etc.

What's left of those days can be found here: UL Theme Chat Theatre

:(

Ya know, I had this big life story written out, and it sounded sorta boastful---so let's just say, I've been deeply involved in Pyracy in some form or other for 25 years. I don't belong to any crew yet, but if there's one out there that would have me (I live in Oregon), I'd join. I have some unusual talents that could be put to use.

Someday,when I feel more like typin'(I'm sort of a one finger typist), I'll illucidate. Capt. William Bones B)

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

What lured me?...Maybe it would be the hook in me ear...naw...

I don't really know, it's probably in me blood, my great great grandfather was a ship's captain, though I've never really been able to find out much about him. I also really love the water, the first time I ever went sailing I had to be pried away. Its been a fasination o'mine since I was little, used to pretend to be a pirate with my brother and cousin...my brothers the only person I know who makes me sword fight him before he lets me into 'is house. B)

I actually got pulled inte piracy by non other than POTC. Great movie, and as soon as I lay me deadlights upon it, I fell in love. (possibly with Johnny Depp) Non-the-less, piracy has not yet disappointed me, as I find yet many secrets and possibilites that lay ahead.

Cheers, mates!

Cabinlass Maggie :huh:

It'll be the rope's end for that one, me bucko.

Being born in a Naval hospital in Charleston, SC, I always felt the pull of the ghosts calling me to find them. Alas I have found them. Here ye all are..hanging out the pyracy pub. Thank You, No Quarter Given for giving these old pirate ghosts a place to call home. :ph34r:

~Tori

Like any unmanned ship, a novice sailor will eventually steer into the wind and then in circles.

Ive been likin pirate ever since i was a young one when i saw the great classic peter pan.(by disney) fellows laghed at my fancy, but they could not stop me!! :ph34r: As i became older, i started to read fantacy novels and such. now i read histories on pirates and piracy and i be hooked matey!! :ph34r:

When all else fails.......do a lil' jig

"Ive been likin pirate ever since i was a young one when i saw the great classic peter pan.(by disney) fellows laghed at my fancy, but they could not stop me!! "

I know what you mean. I used to take the Peten Pan book to school and get caught reading it whenever I got bored. LOL My freinds used to call me Wendy to irritate me. Thats where it all began.

Too funny.

cabinfreindsbanner-vi.jpg

It was my husband that was the pirate fan -- he had cool collection of pirate toys and junk even back when we were in college. After we got married, we had a "pirate shelf" that eventually expanded into a whole bookcase of pirate stuff. But pirates didn't become my obsession until a couple years ago. I was in Bayfield, WI and the lake and the sailboats inspired me to write a poem about a woman who's lover is pirate far away, etc, etc. I did some research (because I wanted my poem to have a bit of realistic feel to it) and I was totally facinated by the history I read. I kept asking myself: how did I miss this stuff all these years? I was most impressed by the story of Anne Bonny. I decided instead of writing about a woman in love with a pirate, I would write about a woman who was a pirate. So I've been researching and writing Anne of the High Seas for the past 2 years. Now, my husband is also a historical re-enactor -- usually a 19th century doctor -- and of late we've toyed with the idea of becoming pirate re-enactors someday. This venture into the Pyracy Pub is my first contact with other "pirate enthusiasts" and it is a wonderful experience. I think I've found a port to call home! :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

i remember being a wee little lass attending my older borther's performance of peter pan (i have NO idea what role he played), and his best friend, who was quite a hottie, played captain hook. after the show, said hottie asked me to hold the ostrich plume from his hat, and i held on to that thing like it was made of GOLD! (i remember it being purple!)...

i have always been an odd sort, grew up skateboarding, listening to punk rock, and generally just being a miscreant.

as a tattooer, we in the trade are in LOVE with all things piratey, maybe because we have the image of being outlaws (which isn't really the case, we have families, pay taxes, work 50 hour weeks, etc), but we think nothing is cooler than skull tattoos...

my family encourages my pirate obsession, my mom even bought me a furry pink wallet with a jolly roger on it!

my friends are amused by it, i'm becoming more educated about real pirate history every day, and i try to keep my "yarrs" down to a minimum in the real world....

death by miss adventure...

This is my first post, so pardon my inexperience in pirate talk. But I'll get there! I first became interested in pirates when I went to Disney and rode Pirates of the Carribean. That was 17 years ago and I've read just about every book I can get my hands on about them and have a collection of piratey things. Who wouldn't want to be a pirate (at least for a day)?

I feel like such a poser for being 'round such respectable and experiences pirates, but it had to be PotC.

But it DOES go back aways. I've always loved the sea; me mum's from Cuba. I always held Peter Pan, the animated Disney film very close to me heart. Was Pan fer Halloween, in fact. Read the abridged versions of Treasure Island and all that piratical literature at a very young age becuase I always loved readin'. Then I started sailing when I was still a youngin'... perhaps around 10-12 years old.

Never really though' of a pyratical life until I mde me way online (I live here, I swear. They say it IS "surfing" the 'net!) and found ye fine people that I begun me life as a pirate wench. CAPTAIN Wolfy Wench to ye, tha' is. :)

So yes... PotC.

Captain Wolfy Wench

I think it started when me Mum made me middle name Marina (ocean).

Like Wolfy, I always loved the sea... A very early memory of mine is going shopping with Mum and being allowed to buy one of those books on tape. (abridged, with a book to read along with) She wanted me to choose Peter Rabbit... but I wanted Treasure Island. :(

Actually I was a bit scared of it at first because I listened to it by myself while my parents were out. But later I decided I loved it again, and eventually I got around to reading the actual unabridged version of it - which I loved even more.

I think I like the romantic icea of Pirate than the actual pirates. I don't really know much about pirates but I'm aware of the havoc they caused... even if they did have some codes or something.

PotC had a lot of influence on me too, though :( , and Peter Pan as someone else said. And just general tales of the High Seas, mostly by R.L. Stevenson (that genious...)

My interest in pirates began when I was but a wee lad of nine or ten. Way back in the early 60s, I would stay up most of the night watching the late show and the late late show on t.v. (that was back when t.v. had good shows on late at night instead of infomercials) I loved the old movies from the 30s and 40s, like Captains Couragous, Captain Blood and Treasure Island. Then when I were about 13 I went on the PoTC ride at Disneyland the first week it opened, I were hooked fer life.

When PoTC the movie came out it resparked my interest. Now my wife says "Great, now he's on a pirate kick." Little does she know it runs deep in me black heart, aarrrrgh! :)

I think what sparked me interest though are the stories me granny told me about me pirate ancestor. She wanted me to know who I were named after.

:(

I think, therefor I am. Or maybe I just think I am.

The first year I went to Pennsic War. I met a group of people from Jersey called Raven Spittle especially Mama Red, I spent many a night drinking in their camp and listening to their stories and admiring their land locked ship (the entrance to their camp). I've finally abandoned most of my original persona, a viking, and became a pirate. I hope to be building "Perkeo's Pub" for this years Pennsic War.

I've always been a child of the sea, but Ohio is more famous for flaming rivers than beautiful beachs. I moved to Washington NC to be closer to the outer banks and the ocean, and i lived not many miles from where Blackbeard made port at historic Bath. After one two many hurricanes I moved to Key West where the the water is blue, the rum is cold and i can dress up like a pirate for at least 3 events a year in town and not turn any heads. I'm working with Julie and Pirates in Paradise now, So It looks like getting more attached (or obsessed according to my fellow workers in that terrible place called reality) to the whole lifestyle. I think the first movie that drew me into the fold was The Pirate Movie, since it included pirates, really bad humor, and pirates bursting into song. And I loved the Pirate King. After that, I was a total loss.

A toast to Columbus, Arawaks and Caribs

To pirates and patriots, rascals and thieves

:ph34r:

Key West Pirate

pil'-lag-ing

It's like looting, but the shopkeeper is watching from behind some hastily contrived shelter.

Rum Wench - Pyrates of the Coast

Hmmmm......

I guess me bein' the wild rocker from the 80's hard rock/metal bands had a little to do with it.

I have always been drawn toward the wild & crazy ways of a free spirit dressed in a pair of tall black boots and doin' a little drinkin and lass chasin'

O' course me lass chasin days R over. I gots me wife to chase now.

The movies also made the pirate just look so kewl! Yea, POTC pushed me off the plank. That's when I decided that I was going to look for people like ye all and have some fun!

Capt. BLACK SKOT

"Permit me aboard and I'll be takin yer ship!"

"Don't permit me abourd and I'll still be takin yer ship!"

I blame it all on the Captain

(Hurricane and Morgan)

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"