What lured you to pyracy?

Believe it or not, my first intro to pirates was "The Goonies". Seeing the Inferno there with all the skeletons in that garb & the wealth & riches. I never thought of anyting like that.. nor seen anything like that before. I was young.. must have been a year following it's release in the theater when I saw it on VHS.

From there... I found Treasure Island... read the book.. then was instantly hooked! Long JOhn Silver became a favorite character of mine. I read ore pirate books including a fictional old book "Blackbeard's Ghost" if anyone has ever read that book. I got a good laugh out of it. It was then I was introduced, in a manner of speaking, to Blackbeard... & did some research.. as much as one pre-teen girl could do at the mid to late 80's. I literially was like a young Elizabeth Swann. Dreaming of pirates.. wanting to meet up with one & even wanting to join them, let alone be whisked away by a pirate. Etc...

Over the years I mellowed out. I watched a couple 'pirate-like' movies.

But it was this past may-june that I was once again intregued. A couple people informed me that pyratical portrayal & recreation was out there.I thought it was only along the coasts.

Then.. Pirates of the Caribbean came along. It was then... well, a month after the release & watching it 3 times by then.. that I was drawn back to pyracy.

Now.. with the internet... some re-enacting ties & more... Here I am... once again... pulling off a retro Elizabeth Swann here & more interested in pirates than ever. Re-familiarizing myself with the materials & even getting involved in pyratical portrayal! :)

What better time to return than during the Year of the Pirate! :D

Huzzah!

Anastazia

~master & commander of the Resurrection

:D

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been a fur trade reenactor for some time have always had a love of weapons old and new quite partial to blackpowder I am . I have an obsession with tallships , naval warfare and a fasination with the histories and legends o pyracie an I lay to it it may be the Rum what done it to me ... It all just sort of fits together real nice like don't it .

Lord above please send a dove with wings as sharp as razors , to cuts the throats of them there blokes what sells bad booze to sailors ..

" Illigitimiti non carborundum . "

I've felt a draw to the sea since before I can remember -- we used to be a bit less landlocked than we are now, and the day trips we took to the seashore were the highlights of my childhood. So that, at least, is where the interest in the ocean started.

Like every 80's lass, I fell in love with Disney's "The Little Mermaid" (you know, the film that put the Disney company firmly on their path to world domination), and was completely obsessed with all things ocean-related for a good handful of years, there. Then I read "The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle" by Avi (yes, THAT Charlotte Doyle :P ) and decided I was meant for a life at sea -- landlocked or no. *grins*

As a young teen, I watched "Muppet Treasure Island" and "Hook" approximately fifteen million times each, and even watched the fluffy "Peter Pan" cartoon of Disney's (though, if nothing else, ya gotta admit that the chase scenes between Captain Hook and the croc are absolutely hilarious). And I've always, always, always been a fan of medieval times, sea history, Renn Faires, and all that sort of good history stuff.

But despite all that, my interest in pirates did not begin until -- what else -- the release of "Pirates of the Caribbean" this Summer. I was hooked instantly, just absolutely obsessed. At a time in my life when I'm trying not to be scared of such absolute freedom and independence in the choices to make from here (hey, it's scary to be graduating from college -- awesome as it is to have appoximately six gazillion options open to me as to what I want to do with my life next, it's a bloody scary thing, too!) -- the love of freedom, adventure, and the unexpected in life, that a pirate like Jack Sparrow possesses, is inspiring to me. I like that, and can admire that.

And so, that started my interest, with me reading everything I can get my hands on about pirates -- and, if most of the historical ones don't seem quite as . . . ah . . . original as Captain Jack Sparrow, then a lot of them (the non-psycotic ones, that is *grimace*) seem to embody that same sense of freedom and unexpected adventure. My sig quote pretty much sums up my feelings on that. :)

So that's how my love obsession with pirates began. And I don't see it going away any time soon! :huh:

"Pirates ... were of that old breed of rover whose port lay always a little farther on, a little beyond the skyline ... if they lived riotously let it be urged in their favor that at least they lived."

~ John Masefield

Those who live by the sword, get shot instead.

captainjackisback.jpg

I don't know what has drawn me to piracy. As long as I can remember I have been drawn to pirates. Something about the life they lived and the things they had done just seemed right. Maybe I'm like Jimmy Buffett's song, "A pirate looks at 40."

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

I've been interested in pirates most of my life. Watching the old Errol Flynn and Tyrone Power films with my dad. While doing genealogy research, I found I'm related to Grainne O'Malle and I had a relative go down on the Wyhdah. So, I guess you can say it be in me blood. I've been a histocial re enactor for 15 years and finally came to me true vocation. Pirates!

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

Like many others I started out wathin any swashbucking movie that was out. I always had a love of history especailly weapons and warriors. It wasn't untill I started working a real full time 7:00 to 3:30 job with it's low pay, office palotics, and all the he said she said that goes with it, that I started dreaming of a freer more simpler life. Somewhere where my opion counted just as much as anyone with there name on a door and a fancy title to go with it. I'ld always tell my partner "lets run off and be pirates." I figured we'ld get a crew and a good ship with cannon go down to the islands and play pirate. I figured if we hooked up with some company like Windjammer or some other daysail company we could make money by pulling mock pirate raids on the tourist. You know drink their rum kiss some of their women and make a few of the men walk the plank, that sort-of thing. Alot of the resorts down there seem to have theme parties, so what better way to start one off than to have a real ship with guns blazing pulling up to the beach with a load of crazy pirates to set the mood.

When my wife and I decided to get married we wanted something differrent so we decided to have a pirate themed wedding. That's when my real research began and hasn't stoped since. Thanks to NQG and this forum I can research and talk about my favorite hobby and area of study without someone rolling their eyes and changeing the subject just because their not into it or they think it's just plane dumb.

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. To me it smells like....PIRACY!

Simple answer......A.D.D. I can never stay on a time period for too long. j/k :huh:

But seriously I've always loved pirates. How can you not? Except I was always the damsel in deistressed when we played as kids. True romantic Libra I guess. :P Like everyone else fave movies as a kid were goonies(which we still have the original tape), the princess bride, labryinth, and hook.

I started in Renaissance and now am onto the 18th century costuming. I love the fact that I get to have more creativity in my work. But of course you can't make the clothes without knowing ALL the history and the more I read the more I love it! What made it even better is the fact that their were people hung in the caribbean for piracy with my last name! So I am hoping to be able to do some geneology on the subject.

Men are like a deck of cards - You need a heart to love them, a diamond to marry them, a club to beat them and a spade to bury the bastards.

I started off with a nautical persona in the SCA, but over time got turned off by that group's lack of interest in things nautical, plus their worship of rules and structure, and the fact that so many people in it are "living a dream" rather than playing a game.

That, combined with my lifelong rebellious nature, and a growing interest in the period from the early 18th to the early 19th centuries, made piracy a natural for me

Tabita Ann: Mate Jan and I both share yer Historical Period ADD! But, I'm doing better at gettin' mine under control! :o

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

The drinking. Duh.

:o

I was drawn into pyracy by the historical fascination. the way they ruled themselves. But then I found websites like this and found some modern day pirates that are really weird and fun, and I like weird. :) So I became hooked.

Plus I just love saying Arrrr!

Capp'n Slappy!!! I love TLAPD!!! Best holiday in the world! :o

"Grrrrr!"-My dog

"When life isn't all that peachy, eat an apple. Moron."-Shorty The Gothic Sausage

I stumbled into it by chance. My brothers and I had a band - we were invited to going the then prestigious Seafair Pirates. There I was trained by the very best - people who would be pirates in three-piece suits - and had been performing for 30 to 50 years, 100 times a year.

I was hooked. Soon I was divorced from my wife because of it, lost a job along the way, danced with Miss Russia, told dirty jokes with Seattle's mayor aboard our float, watched the sun rise from behind the bar after 12 hours of bartending duty - it was then that I knew I had crossed over. I didn't care if I ever went to work again. I just wanted to be a pirate.

Like the many SCA horror stories, that group proved too political, only allowed white men over 21, and was splintered. So, being a pirate, I started a mutiny with many of the old timers and started a second pirate group in town (which is still around 14 years later). Then, they got political so me and my wench and bandmates mutineed again and went on account as freebooters. Now we have a bunch of like minds who like to do what we do - entertain, improvise, sing, flirt, and be pirates and wenches.

And 22 years later I'm still at it. A 3 x 4 foot framed print of Howard Pyle's Marooned is the centerpiece of our living room... a reminder of our formerly mutinous ways.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Wish it was more romantic than this...but was vending at Silverleaf Ren Faire....the second weekend was Pyrate weekend...I just fell in love with it...the people and the look...there was another vendor there..Captain Jack...that really impressed me....and that was it...hooked...

The other end of the story ...and you have all heard it from me allready..was PIP....what I discovered there...in the people and attitude is enough to make this ole renny yern fe the coast....

darkRose

aka Rogue's Pierre

The Enigmatic Rogue...and may always be<br />

<br />

"I kissed her... once with passion... once with love... and told her good bye"

'twer them rowdy pyrates wif thar big pointy thangs an' te ships wif thar tall masts.

Waits a minnet.... errrr....ah...um...ar mabbe it 'twer te ships wif big pointy thangs an' rowdy pyrates wif tall masts????? :o

Demmit! Dunno.....now I gots te thunk on it..... :o

:o

And 22 years later I'm still at it. A 3 x 4 foot framed print of Howard Pyle's Marooned is the centerpiece of our living room... a reminder of our formerly mutinous ways.

Good show, Hurricane! It'll be another 22 years I'm sure. :)

As for the Howard Pyle print ... where in the Hells did you find one that size?!?! The only Pyle prints I have found are 11x17. I have been looking for one to cover half my wall like that. Preferably a black and white of the man walking the plank (maybe my mother-in-law will finally get the hint). :lol:

Wartooth

Good show, Hurricane! It'll be another 22 years I'm sure. :)

As for the Howard Pyle print ... where in the Hells did you find one that size?!?! The only Pyle prints I have found are 11x17. I have been looking for one to cover half my wall like that. Preferably a black and white of the man walking the plank (maybe my mother-in-law will finally get the hint). :lol:

Wartooth

Wartooth if yer mother in law be anything like mine you could beat her over the head with the thing and she still wouldn't get the hint. :lol:

From yer signature quoteing Soloman Kane would you happen to be a Robert E. Howard fan like myself? For some who don't know Robert E. Howard of Conan fame (not that Arnold Scharc**%$#ger stuff, may they be burned at the stake for heresey) wrote several pirate stories which fit into this thread nicely.

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. To me it smells like....PIRACY!

Well there I was, studying at Harvard on track to be a clergyman in the Massachusetts colony--a cushy job, but not one that really appealed to me by nature.

But then there was that little falling out with Cotton Mather. And that little incident with the headmaster's daughter. And the rum thing ...

Well, anyway it was best that I leave town quickly, and one thing Boston had was ships ...

I have always loved history. Especially the history of machines. Everything from galleys to the Ronald Regan to the Wright flyer to the F-22. No one but no one used there tools like pirates. Who cant imagine the canvas sails streched taunt or the cannons roar. Guess these dillusians have a major pull on my unstable mind. <_<

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

Well lets see, it was Dark Rose that led me here to this port. But it is me love of pyracy and the sea that keeps me here starting all the way back when i was but a little lass in StPetersburg, FL and went almost monthly to see the HMS Bounty when she be in port. And of course all the Tampa Bay Buccaneer items me father had about the house. Then the movies anything pyrate I watched. From Treasure Island to Eryol Flynn (who is still one of me favorite actors). So that is pretty much it.

Privateers Guild #619

CTRF :www.ctfaire.com

PCRF

Well, it all started when a pirate mommy and a pirate daddy....

No, that's not how it happened, at all....

It all started with Peter Pan. The one with the girlie playin' 'im. Wendy was so powerful and smart. I made me ma read the book after the tape broke from watchin' it too much. I asked if there was any other books 'bout pirates or if the writer jus' made 'em up(c'mon, I was 4). Soon we was actually READING Peter Pan(sooo much better)! And then Treasure Island. Tom Sawyer got butchered a bit 'cause 'o all the backward ideas in it. 6 is an impressionable age.

So, along came the movies Men in Tights. No piracy, but thievery and fun things like that. Not to mention a kick line. That always spices things up. And of course, Hook! Possibly one 'o my favorite movies ever.

Then, Pirates of the Carribean. Good graves, I LOVE THAT MOVIE! I've seen it 12 times, not including all those times I sit through with the audio commentaries on. I dun CARE if it's a 2 hour advertisement for a Disneyworld attraction, it's a beautifully done one and that Captain Jack Sparrow? *swoons* Aye de mi!

"Oh, never, never, never again,

If I live to be a hundred or a hundred and ten.

I fell to the ground and I couldn't get up

After drinking a pint of the Johnny Jump Up."

~"Johnny Jump Up" -Gaelic Storm

"This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."

-Sigmund Freud (on the Irish)

In response to queries about Howard Pyle's prints. The Delaware Art Museum is the place for the larger prints. The 24" x 36" print of Marooned is $15 plus shipping. They have others as well...

Visit

http://www.delart.org/store/item_posters.html

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I may have been at this longer than anyone else here - around half a century (God, how that thought makes me depressed.) Around '51 or '52, we had a kid's book called "Pirates, Ships and Sailors." My brother would read the stories and I was fascinated by the pictures. The first real novel I read was "Treasure Island," around '56. Been into the subject ever since. Saw the Disney "Treasure Island" when it came out and saw all the Flynn and other Hollywood pirate movies in the early days of television. Got into everything nautical as a result except for one thing. I found to my horror that I am a wretched sailor! In '74 I worked on a Scottish trawler on the North Sea and learned all the permutations of nausea. It didn't stop until we got back to the calm waters of the Firth of Forth.

I like to imagine the Caribbean of the old days as quieter.