What lured you to pyracy?

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He he hee!

I be workin' that one inta me snappy repartee, lass.

:ph34r:

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

• 5 weeks later...

Let's see, my love for piracy started at a very youung age. My next dor neighbor was my baby sitter, and while she was a sweet lady, she was starting to show signs of lossing her grip on reality. She gave me a bag of books one time as a present, and it wasn't until much later in my life that I realized they were all library books she never returned! Some over twenty years old! The one book that caught my eye was Treasure Island. I couldn't understand all of it just yet, but I worked hard to get through that book, looking p words I couldn't understand and taking notes to ask my teachers at school. As I grew up, I got into movies like The Princess bride, which led to my love of fencing. I started fencing around age seven, and got to be quite good. As I progressed through high school my fencing instructor suggested putting me into a more proffesional training school for olympic training. I never thought I would get as far as I did withthe sprt, but I won numerous awards and took first place in not only NC state tournaments, but VA and MA as well. I started to think about college and took my first year at a cimmunity college so I could save up money to transfer to UNC, due to their fencing program. I got a invite to try out for their team, but before I could make it up there, I had a terrible accident. I was walking home fromthe beach (I lived on Hatteras Island at the time) and a drunk driver swerved off the road and ran me over. I ended up with three ruptured disck in my back, torn cartilidge in both my knees and severed hip muscles. It took me over a year to recover and learn to walk all over again, but I did it. It was a hit and run, they never caught the driver. By the time I picked up a foil again, it was over. I couldn't fight anymore. I got winded to easy, and my speed was no where near what it was before. A friend of mine was taking an acting class in Wilmington and suggested I go with him. It was a workshop on stage combat. I fell in love right off the bat. Her was a way for me to still fight with a sword, but in a much more low impact way. I decided to start training on a way to incoperate fencing and dancing ino armed combat with rapier and cutlass (not at the same time of course) and I got really good. I started a stage show where me and m friend Judd dressed up as pirates (we lived in HAtteras Island, a historical pirate haven) and fought for the tourist. We were basically nothingmore htan glorified pan handlers, but we were good adn people tipped accordinly. We made on average about $250 a day, not bad. To make a long story short, (I know , too late) I found No Quarter given on line, and found hte calander of events. After one festival I was hooked, and it's been a wild ride ever since.

Basically, the love of all things fantasy was with me since I can remember. Horses were my favorite, though typical.. they still brought with them the concept of the wind and roaming freely... I loved movies like disney's Robin Hood (I memorized the entire thing) and Peter Pan was one of my favorites. I also saw the play version of Peter pan at my grandparents every time I was there. As for books, I never really got my hands on those, but ended up loving Muppet's Treasure Island and Three Musketeers (Disney version).

However, the love of the sea is deep in me veins.. Ever since I was a babe, my parents brought us to the cottage by the sea in New Jersey. Every summer we would go for weeks and I loved it. Every summer we also would go to the lake cottage of my other grandparent's in Wisconsin in Door County on Lake Michigan. I loved to canoe and sail around the inlets, or walk down the sandy beaches to a hidden river- being careful not to step on crawdads. Ahh, those were the days.

I am young though.. only a lass of 18. And so I can still have many more years of these days, and I plan on having many, *many* more years of ren fairs. My parents would take us to the Pennsylvania Ren Faire when it were only a wee faire. Our whole family of many children, would dress up the best we could and go with the college buddies. Even the Queen one year commented on how well dressed we all were! (God save the Queen!)

So... I don't know how exactly I liked pirates in particular, I know I loved rennaisance things and all things related, so I think my pirate love was really just at the surface- along with wanting to be at sea or on a horse.. It just sprang to the head of the line once a good movie came out, and once I did more research on the subject. Then... I got myself a pirate get-up for the faires- went to many faires, and was *completely* hooked. PotC really was a help. Then I found more pirate movies that I never knew existed!

And now.. I am no longer alone. I was looking for sea shanty help and stumbled here- to paradise! :ph34r: Here's to ye! *raises glass* Anyway.. sorry for the long explination. :ph34r: ;;

"Dum Spiro Spero"- "While I breathe, I hope"

Arrrgh! What a great movie!

That Captain Smollet, he be a mean, cruel, torturous taskmaster!

"..I'm paraphrasing, of course."

<_<

And how could ya not love Clueless Morgan?

"...what?"

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

When aye first popped intew this ere' world the surgen missed and aye fell right ontew the deck with a thud and......... no really back in 1976 me 2nd grade class was given the task tew write a book report. Growing up in the French quarter aye had a world of ideas and as it turned out aye chose it tew be about Jean Lafitte,"The gentleman pirate". Aye ave' been hooked ever since. :unsure:

Cordially,

Sir Jewels Cole

secondflag.gif

"In casa di ladri non ci si ruba." trans. "There is honour among thieves."

I even started fooling around with theater and worked as a pirate chorus member in Peter Pan (*shudder*....sorry I love Captain James Hook too much to mention that blasted faerie's name without nausea).

Hey, jus' remember that Pan is played by lasses more'n Hook is :lol: (nothin' against the fair lasses here mind ye, jes think o' it as if a movie wanted Burt Reynolds te play ye in yer life story...suntin' odd in that.)

As fer me, there's just that feelin' ye gt when ye see anythin' te do with the sweet trade. Not gonna guess or wonder, jes' was there, always was an' will be :unsure: . Well that an' the fact that pyrates knew what was good in life: cash, rum, 'n lasses. :)

Te cash, rum, 'n lasses!! (an' not in that order) :lol::lol:B)

Drake

Aye, I remember it well...I was 14 years old an' lookin' in the library at a collection o' illustrators....two words, me friends....Howard Pyle! I started collectin' his pirate books...then in 'bout 1977 or so ELP did that great pirate piece on the album "Works Vol.1" and them bein' one of me favorite bands....I was inspired to join up and learn all I could 'bout the brotherhood an' the sweet trade....Ah....makes me want to go out an' plunder somethin....

S.H. Maggie

Long Live the crew of the CrimsonPermanent Assurance!

I worked on the web crew to make pyracy.com ship shape. Now I can't get enough. I still can't bring myself to type like a pyrate. The best I can do is hold a bottle of rum and watch Pirates of the Carribean on DVD as I post. :unsure:

I don't speak pyrate...

but, arrrrrgggggghhhhhh.

My wench is prettier than this wench.

pyracy_link_04.gif

Aye, I remember it well...I was 14 years old an' lookin' in the library at a collection o' illustrators....two words, me friends....Howard Pyle! I started collectin' his pirate books...then in 'bout 1977 or so ELP did that great pirate piece on the album "Works Vol.1" and them bein' one of me favorite bands....I was inspired to join up and learn all I could 'bout the brotherhood an' the sweet trade....Ah....makes me want to go out an' plunder somethin....

S.H. Maggie

Miss Maggie, What "piece" are ye referin'? Aye would love tew know as aye sit ere' sort of celebratin' me 35th. Thought aye ave' become quite an eclectic music buff an aye cant say aye be knowin' that one. Although! aye do be knowin' "New Orleans-Works Vol. 1, disk 2 by Carl Palmer. But New Orleans be me home port so aye should. :D

Cordially,

Sir Jewels Cole

secondflag.gif

"In casa di ladri non ci si ruba." trans. "There is honour among thieves."

• 4 weeks later...

i still have a vivid memory of waking up my older brother to read the captions in an old timelife book on the sea, because i was to young to know how to read. I've been facinated with the ocean ever since. ( and this was in spokane. hadn't even seen the sea yet) after many years and a few to many mis-adventures I ended upliveing on a 37 foot sailboat and soon learned to sail. not long after i learned how to single hand and was on the water three days a week. after a few to many years working for other people i walked away from the paycheck thing. I sail when I can find a sailboat. work doing whatever pays cash and enjoy life. I plan to have my sixpack license in two years and then I'm gone......mexico or the caribbean. with my own boat and maybe even work for windjammers or someother outfit that does all the booking. the life of a privateer. ( of course if the IRS ask's you've not heard of me.) that and i think against all flags a great influance. (errol flynn). wasn't that impressed with PoC.

Funnily enough, I started off being interested in the Navy, due to Patrick O'Brians books. Then my interests shifted more to piracy. Been a pirate nut ever since.

Because the world does revolve around me, and the universe is geocentric....

Pirates are "Borderline".....and I love the speech patterns, the tales, the variety....multiple personalities : "Manifestin' themselves fer the flavour of the occasion at hand yarr !" From orderin' a new ships figurehead..ta swabbin' the deck wit me favourite cabin boy (or girl be the case) under a full moon...in me skivvies...with a keg by me side...I seen Pirates as a child..and the sight of 'em "imprinted like a gosling on his mother"

The Garb be a large factor on me imprintin' thusly.....bein' such a hungry eyed fool ! B)

Well after a while of inactivity, here's my story. I was originally exposed to the Seafair Pirates in Seattle while in the children's hospital in Seattle. Many years later, I saw them on the street during Seafair and asked how to join. I was eventually sitghned on board and that is where it started. I met Hurricane when he was just a green deck swap and along with many others tunred him into the rogue you see now. I love it when a pan comes together. Like Hurricane, I left the Seafair bunch and freebooted my way around for a while. I'm inactive right now but paln to come aboard after I get down to Florida with me mate. Hurricane and I seem to be of the same mind ( scary isn't it ). Maybe that is why he and I have remained close friends through all the ups and downs in our lives.

Animal

:lol:

BEWARE: THE ANIMAL IS AWAKENING

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

So good to see that the Animal is once again going on account. Awaiting his arrival down here in sunny Central Florida - Portlando... This is a haven of piracy, lads and lasses - hundreds, nay, thousands of touristas to pillage and plunder and tell tall tales too. Can hardly wait for me mates up north to wisen up and jump ship, slip their anchors and head down to join Diosa and meself...

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

lured me ta piracy...

lessee, probably the stories my mom read me. I was one of those kids brought up on the story of the Flying Dutchman, The Ryme of the Ancient Mariner, this popup book called The Wild Pirates go Sailing, The Man Whose Mother was a Pirate ( I always wanted ta be his mother, coz the man was this little boring office prisoner. I wonder how Mama pirate came ta terms wi' it ), a bunch of other books. Living on the ocean me entire life, and being on boats since infancy probably helped. That and the fact that there's quite a bit o' piratical history in my area. the freedom the plunder and the fashion are all fine too. :lol:

So I guess ya could say I was brought up ta it.

what got me into piracy.....

I must admit Peter Pan introduced me to it first, and being me strange self i fell in love with the villain. Then a few years later me wench of a sister dragged me off to the Maryland Renaissance Festival where I abosolutely fell in love with the time period, and since then I've spent every day of my life researchin the subject. The year after my first day at faire, I met a man who's been quite a good friend to me, and just happened to be married to a pirate. Since then everything that remotely related to a pirate made me an extremely happy lass. So i became "obsessed" Then of course POTC came out and with me already being a HUGE johnny fan i fell i nlove with that, not to mention it made pirate merchandise a hell of a lot more avalible to me!

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me, so throw me down and tie me up and show me that you like me"

"Evil is always possible. And goodness is eternally difficult."

"...but there is no rose without a thorn no pleasure that is not paid for without the prick of pain."