Blackbeard

Capt. Flint

I thought that since there was so much chatter about Blackbeard, I would move it out of cutlass combat and into a new topic..... In response to the last post, Blackbeard did not fight for sugar and indigo. His real reasons for fighting will never be known. As far as falling for his own hype; well, he created it. It was a common practice during the time ( and Teach used it also) to creat as terrific an image as possible. This would hopefully make raiding a ship easier. As folks would be so afraid, they would surrendor without a fight.

Blackbeard is an incredible figure in time. Almost nothing is known for fact about his younger years and he lived as a pirate for only a few years before his death. Yet, he was so successful at what he did, that his name has become synonymous with the word pirate. His legend has lasted over the centuries. His evil ways and vile habits have given way to a figure of myth. Not bad for a thief, murderer, rapist and villian. If hollywood would make a current movie about the man, you can bet ,that it could not be historically accurate. Too little is known and the man was so evil, that they would not dare to show the public his image as a historical pirate. Anyhow, it's just a few thoughts from an old tired sea rover........... Flint

and...... Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Be safe and have fun

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a documentory about Blackbeard afew years back that may explain some of his behaviors. For one thing he was supposed to have been in the habit of drinking a mixture of rum, gin, and gunpowder. He said it was to make a man more virile. Now I'm sure any woman can tell you that, when a man has to much to drink it may make him more randy but not very virile. The other thing is gunpowder has saltpeter in it which has a negative affect on a mans ability to raise his mast,add in the sulfer and charcoal and you,ve got a great way to irritate and tear up your stomach linning.

Another thing that might explain his actions may come from the fact that when he blockaded Charleston his main demand was for a medicine chest. Most researchers believe that most of the crew had syphilis. The team that has found The Queen Anne's Revenge also found a medicine chest with a penis syringe containing traces of mercury in it. Mercury was a large component in some of the treatments for venereal deseases at the time. If Blackbeard had an advaced case of syphilis this could help to explain some of his eratic behavior, as the desease starts to effect the mind. Al Capone died of it and was said to have gone quite mad, well maybe more like an advanced Alzhimers patient.

Anyway whether it was desease, alcohol, or he was just your everyday run of the mill pyschotic we will never know.

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. To me it smells like....PIRACY!

syphilitic dementia....would make sense..........the neuro systems and cardiovascular systems become involved and result in various symptoms (aneurysms of the aorta are common) and/or various types of psychoses.......and eventually general paralysis

All those things make a whole lotta sense me hearties.

The man was certainly more "mind stricken" than most of the Pirates out there.

The whole thing of burning flames in his beard during attack, to totally horify his opponent, was reason enough to believe he was quite the messed up plunderer. Inset disease mixed with all he drank into himself was certainly enough to do it, and then some.

With the ways movies are these days, I am sure Hollywood could scrounge up enough to make a pretty good flic about him, if a character/story promoter really sold it to them well.

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Have Parrot Bay, will travel.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

Now I've gone and done it, I started reading about Blackbeard. What did I find to my surprise?

A urethral syringe (length 6.3 in.) with its curved funnel tip was used to administer mercury for the treatment of venereal diseases. Analysis of the residue recovered from the interior of the syringe does in fact show a low concentration of mercury. The ring on the plunger of the syringe features a mark consisting of the letter P below inter-locked rings and a crown. A second mark is indecipherable but looks something like the letter P beneath two sets of columns and a crown.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

I know I've posted this else where but in the current issue of "American Neptune" there is an article on Blackbeard titled " Blackbeard & the Meaning of Pirate Captaincy" by Michael Thomas Smith. It gives an alternative interprtation on what's being dicussed and puts BB within the contexts of how pirate crews actually functioned using primary source materials.

If anyone wants a copy let me know off line. I will be away from my computer from 4:30 today till Monday. December 1. All I'll need is money for copying and mailing.

Having a ship with 40 guns and a crew of 300 .... expensive

Being a raving psychotic with a sense of style... priceless

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Having a ship with 40 guns and a crew of 300 .... expensive

Being a raving psychotic with a sense of style... priceless

????

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

I could see my dad asking the question at the doorstep but not acting like the dad in the movie. I could see an long gone me asking the question at the door and neither the old me or the new me would have the same sense of humor as the movie dad.

I'd tend to agree with you about the daughter part. I think her boyfriend and I would have a little wall to wall counseling session if he even thought about asking her that. I'm glad she's only 5 so I have a few years to teach her how to survive bar brawls and how to apply it to anxious boyfriends.

I'd tend to agree with you about the daughter part.  I think her boyfriend and I would have a little wall to wall counseling session if he even thought about asking her that.  I'm glad she's only 5 so I have a few years to teach her how to survive bar brawls and how to apply it to anxious boyfriends.

I would not have been that blatent nor had that many witness.'

Well...you could always just have out your guns and knives when he come to pick her up. Go back to cleanin' them, when he comes in, and just calmly say, "she will be home at 10, right?"

That would be exactly why he'd do it. Sort of a passive aggresive technique of death by social embrassment.

But a good Da, holds your hair back, and sits with you, when you stagger in horribly drunk, at 17. Then waits til mornin' to see if you need anymore punishment.

:D

Captain of The Morrighan.

Well...you could always just have out your guns and knives when he come to pick her up. Go back to cleanin' them, when he comes in, and just calmly say, "she will be home at 10, right?".

But a good Da, holds your hair back, and sits with you, when you stagger in horribly drunk, at 17. Then waits til mornin' to see if you need anymore punishment.

I like the gun idea, leaves assault and battery out of the picture unless he brings her home late.

The 17yo coming home drunk was me and my father took a similar approach each time I was caught.