Blackbeard

Capt. Flint

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An old family legend of mine tells that my great great great great grandfather was pardoned by the gov'ner of NC from being a pirate. He moved to Barnwell SC and started a farm. My grand father always tells me he came off of Blackbeard's ship.

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

Master Studley is there anyway you can research this to find out how true it is. There are records of the names of some of Blackbeards crew during the trails after his death. And if your great great grandfather was pardoned by the govenor of NC there could be a document in your family somewhere to prove it. It could be in someones attic or a trunk in the basement or even in the old family bible where alot of people used to record their family history. What a great find that would be! I bet if you get a chance to check the record books in NC there should be a listing of pardons given out during that time frame with your great great grandfathers name on it. Who knows maybe he kept some of his old gear when he took the pardon. You may very well have actual authenticaded pirate paraphernalia just waiting to be found right under your very nose. If youv'e not done it already get up off yer arse and start finding it! Goodluck and keep us informed!

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. To me it smells like....PIRACY!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if I could go along with the demntia part of this thread. The simple truth is (and has already been stated) that pirates picked the best among them for there captin, given the skills needed to maintain this postion I doubt a person with advanced demintia could handle it. As any one with open mind and a honest tounge can tell you men do strange things to cover there fear. If I had to bet the rent I'd say black beard was crazy..........like a fox! To operate at anything like its peak level a sailing ship reguired vast amounts of skill to handle the day to day gripes and complaints of an other wise restless crew would reguire a not only a sound mind but more than a little bravado..(there weren't any empulants to garner respect aboard pirate ships) acting like a depraved heathen and mixing some gun powder in your rum would add just that much more respect among you're mates and accordingly that much more authority(we all rember the nut in high school who didn't seem to be afraid of anything). As for the burning hemp and other tricks I'll quote myself "men do strange things when they're scared" this extra bit of bravado if you will not only scared his opponet but would have given him something else to do besides sit and wait for the battle (like football players head butting each other on the sidelines) maybe me old compass is 180 out here but there's my two pence now wataya think. :ph34r:

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

Good point Hitman. I've heard different reports that Blackbeard was not as brave as he tried to portray. I've even heard him called a coward though for the life of me I can't rember where, I guess because I don't give that thought much creedance. (and no Pirata I don't mean the clearwater revival type in case you ask) Men always have and will always continue to do strange and unusal things.

Whether he was acting demented or he really was demented who even among a pirate crew would want to go up and test him on it?

NOT I......Hey is it just me or is it the threads where we will never really know the answer that seem to be the most intresting. :lol: Also I'd never go so far as to doubt his courage. My point was more to the line of the jitters all but the craziest of people get right before thay knowingly enter a situation that could cause them bodily harm.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

NOT I......Hey is it just me or is it the threads where we will never really know the answer that seem to be the most intresting.

It's not just you who find these threads the most interesting. Without knowing the whole truth people are free to express there ideas and knowledge of the subject. And isn't the exchange of ideas and thoughts and knowledge what learning is all about? Because of unknown answers man will continue to grow and understand the world around him.