Blackbeard

Capt. Flint

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Gettin' back to Blackbeard... :rolleyes: ...)

Capt. Flint, the point I was trying to make about Blackbeard being a legend in his own lifetime was that he became trapped by it. When you become a legend you find yourself feeling forced to live up to it. Much as an ordinary bloke can shrug and walk away from a challenge, but someone with a reputation for being fearless or unbeatable would feel compelled to face it ,or LOSE face in the process.

:)

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

(Gettin' back to Blackbeard... :lol: ...)

Capt. Flint, the point I was trying to make about Blackbeard being a legend in his own lifetime was that he became trapped by it. When you become a legend you find yourself feeling forced to live up to it. Much as an ordinary bloke can shrug and walk away from a challenge, but someone with a reputation for being fearless or unbeatable would feel compelled to face it ,or LOSE face in the process.

Capt. William

You're very much right. A captain was voted into the position by the crew largely based on his reputation and knowledge of sailing and navigation. If a captaian showed poor judgement or lack of courgage he could very well be voted out.

Case in point Charles Vane, when confronted with a French man-of-war decided to hoist sails and run. The French ship followed and Vane used his authority given that in fighting,chasing, or being chased the captain had absolute power. After the Frenchman gave up the chase Vane had to stand up to the charge of cowardness. He lost the vote and he and those who stood with him were cast out. The men then voted in the most vocal of Vanes critics one John Rackam, more widely known as "Calico" Jack Rackham.

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. To me it smells like....PIRACY!

Capt. William... thanks for talking about Blackbeard here. I wasn't trying to swat your viewpoint, just make one of my own. No offense you ole' sea dog. What I was trying to say is , that Teach created the image and from what very little first hand history there is on the man says, he had no desire or want to tone it down. I understand what you mean about being trapped. But, that would seem to imply that the person wants to set it aside sometimes. In Teaches case, it just doesn't appear that way to me. Just a thought....... Flint

Why, no offfense taken, Cap'n Flint, no offense at all!

Ummm...maybe "trapped" wasn't a good term.

Try to think of it this way: Blackbeard had become so caught up in, so enamored of, so believing in, the image that he had created for hmself, or that others had created for him, or some combination thereof, that flight was no longer an option. This is not to say that he wished he could flee, or even gave a thought to the possibility.

Whereas, some other, more money-oriented bloke, someone who was into the sweet trade for adventure, yes, but primarily for monetary profit, might decide to balance the risk against the potential for profit, and if the latter didn't justify the former, he'd opt to "live to fight another day."

Blackbeard wouldn't think that way. Faced with a fight, he'd meet it head on; even if he were alone in a rowboat fighting to defend a barrel of molasses against a frigate!

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Another topic of interest concerning Teach , was his "habit" of getting married. I read somewhere, the he was married to more than three women at the same time. I cannot find out how many were actually known. It may be well over three. It was also known that he would get married, enjoy his new bride for a while and then donate her to his crew, so to speak. They would in turn use and abuse her. Afterwards, Blackbeard would move on and fall in love all over again with a new sweetheart. If I remember correctly, his last bride was but nineteen years old. He treated her in his usual way and sailed on shortly after to his destiny with Maynard and his death. Any input from anyone on this subject concerning the Capt. I would like to know if anyone has any sources about Blackbeard on this as well as other facets of his life. The Capt.

Now, I would hate to think I were the victim o' a common misperception, but one thing that lingers in me still-too-sober memory wuz the notion of Blackbeard as a practicing voudun. Indeed, I 'ad heard the burning hemp he wore in his hair wuz a call to his spirit servants. This surprised me no more than hearing Black Bart mandated Sabbath service on his ship. Pir'aps I be wrong, and if so, whisper in me ear so I can fill me mouth wif rum instead of filling another's head with falsehoods. But truth be told, it was Blackbeard wot inspired me to add a little black magic to me own pirating.

:ph34r:

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Having a ship with 40 guns and a crew of 300 .... expensive

Being a raving psychotic with a sense of style... priceless

????

If you read the article it'll make sense. :D

I did read the article once but I don't understand your second comment.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

Capt. Flint: with all those wives, it it known whether Blackbeard left any children?

:huh:

Capt. William

From what I've read about Blackbeard, nothing is ever mentioned about children. Given the fact that pirates were not known for being record keepers or historians there is just to little information out there to say if there were any children or not. Even the fact that he had more than one wife is hard to document, that also could be part of the hype or myth surrounding the man. If he did marry so many women would they have been done legally or in a tavern by some drunk bartender pretending to be a preacher? And, wife or not Blackbeard does not sound like the kind of man to stick around and play the part of a good husband and father. In fact he's more like the type to skip town if the subject of having kids was even brought up. Given his reputation what woman would brag about having his child?

There may actual descendents of Blackbeard out there somewhere but there is no way to prove it. Without documented DNA from the man himself you can't prove one way or another if he has any descendants or not.

I couldn't have said it better Longarm. The history of how many times Teach married is questionable. It is known that he married more than one woman, but, how many is still at bay. As to children; nothing is known. There was one wife who claimed the Capt. gave her a child. But, she and her story pretty much end with the claim and the rest is lost to history. It would truly incredible to find out that a person was related to the old pirate. But, that will never happen. A mystery can be a good thing, don't you think?..... Flint

Thank ye, Cap'n Roberts. I heard it from a fat man in Havana wif a convincing face, and knew that Baron Samedi magic worked wif knotted hemp cords. To tell the truth, now I'm a bit disappointed that Blackbeard never did practice voodoo, tho I suspected I was wrong when I couldn't find any sort o' evidence. Ah, well. Disappointment is why they invented rum.

:ph34r:

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

With all the interest in genealogy afoot today, I was just wondering if anyone knew whether there were any folks around claiming biological descent from the old rascal; legitimate or otherwise.

Capt. William

I'm sure there might be some people out there who will claim to be descendents of Blackbeard, especially around his old haunts, But even with new genealogy research and methodes I'ld find it hard to prove or disprove thier claim. Even if they use the skulls, that more than one museum claim to be his, And DNA samples could be found from each one, how would you know which if any came from the man himself. The only way that I can think of at the moment is, somehow traceing him back to Bristol where most scholars believe he comes from and then try and find a living relative on his maternal line to trace his DNA. You have to use the maternal line because there is a strand in the DNA that is past down from mother to child that remains unique and unchanged down thruogh time.

This type of DNA was used to prove that it really is Jesse James buried in his grave and not someone else like alot of legends believed. It also helped prove that Thomas Jefferson did have children with his slave, dispite what his white descendants wish or claim.

It also helped prove that Thomas Jefferson did have children with his slave, dispite what his white descendants wish or claim.

What brought this one on?

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

[.

Capt. William

it think of at the moment is, somehow traceing him back to Bristol where most scholars believe he comes from and then try and find a living relative on his maternal line to trace his DNA. You have to use the maternal line because there is a strand in the DNA that is past down from mother to child that remains unique and unchanged down thruogh time.

This type of DNA was used to prove that it really is Jesse James buried in his grave and not someone else like alot of legends believed. It also helped prove that Thomas Jefferson did have children with his slave, dispite what his white descendants wish or claim.

You're thinking of microchondrial DNA ehich is passed solely along maternal lines to both male and female descendants. It does remain consistant for a long time. But there is also a test that uses the Y chromosone which can trace male lineage and only male. It more difficult but it can be done.

If you could match a male claiming to be a Blackbeard decsendant with one of the skullls at least you'd know that the skull and the male were related.

But that wouldn't necessarly prove that the skull is Blackbeard's and therefore the male is his decsendant.

The size of a skull can indicate the height of the person it belonged to. If any of skulls belong to a man uder 6 ft. those could be eliminated as being too short for Blackbeard.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Unfortunately, there is absolutely no proof that as to wich, if any, of the skulls that are held, actually is Teaches. There is extremely little known about his background. So little to the point of almost complete conjecture. DNA testing cannot prove that anyone is related to Blackbeard, because there is no known sample of his dna existing. I would bet, that a man who bedded as many women as the old capt. supposedly did, would have gotten one with child. At least I like to think so. The truth of Blackbeard as far as who he was before he was a pirate, and if ever there were any offspring, will remain a mystery forever.

But, if ever ye meet a strange looking, and rather hairy fellow, around North Carolina ( or who knows where else in the world ) that has a habit of saying argghh when he talks; well, who knows? It sure is something to think about though, isn't it?... Flint

I guess your right Capt. Flint Some mysteries are best left unsolved. But then again I do hate loose ends. Oh well a pint to the ol'devil an any of his kin were ever they maybe.

It also helped prove that Thomas Jefferson did have children with his slave, dispite what his white descendants wish or claim.

What brought this one on?

This came about because it was just receintly that the white descendents of Jefferson had their family reunion and finaly allowed the black descendents to attend. Before DNA testing they would not allow or even recognize the possible black decendents that Jefferson might have had.

But, if ever ye meet a strange looking, and rather hairy fellow, around North Carolina ( or who knows where else in the world ) that has a habit of saying argghh when he talks; well, who knows?

Does this mean I could be one of his descendants? I have all bases covered except the North Carolina part.