New Simplicity pattern

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank ye fer the kind words, mates.

To answer yer questions:

1. The fabric is 100% cotton. It's a very rough weave (I believe it's called hopsack or basket weave) and it weighs a ton. This jacket must weigh 5 lbs., but I wanted a heavy material. I found it in the value flat-fold section of Jo-Ann's. It was only $3.96 a yard and I had a 40% off coupon, so it only came out to $12 for 5.5 yards!.

2. The pattern said it would take 6.5 yards to make the Large size, but I had plenty left over from the 5.5 yards.

3. I guess the only thing I did different from the pattern was the faux buttonholes on the cuffs, pocket flaps, and front. I said I embroidered them instead of using the recommended braid. All I did was put the sewing maching on a very short stitch length (like .5) and zig-zag on the widest setting and followed the stitching lines.

Hope that helps out,

Broadside

Every normal person must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats! - Lucanus

• 2 weeks later...

I've never done anything with "patterns" (I usually just buy clothes at Thrift Stores for costumes), and I was wondering how hard it would be to make this for a beginner and whether I'd have a chance in hell of having it ready for Halloween? Thanks.

Hobbes

The answers to your questions are No and No. :D

Unfortunately this is a difficult pattern, especially for a beginner. And it took me almost a week to complete mine. :lol:

However, you can start now for next Halloween.

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

Well, I finally finished the coat. This is me wearin' it.

bucaneer.jpg

Got it done just in time for Hallowe'en, unfortunately I won't be able to wear it. I sent some pics of it to my brother and unbeknownst to me, my 3 year old niece insists that he be a pirate for Hallowe'en (she's really into Peter Pan right now), so I (graciously, I thought :lol: ) offered to give it to him since he's been runnin' 'imself ragged tryin' to find one in Charlotte. Oh well, I'll just make another.

Cheers,

Broadside, his mark :D

Every normal person must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats! - Lucanus

You've got plenty of time - a whole week!

I'll say it again - excellent work on the coat, Broadside! :)

Thank ye again fer the kind words, Jill.

Hobbes, what kind of tips are ye lookin' fer mate?

Cheers,

Broadside, his mark :ph34r:

On the back of any pattern, should be a list of required supplies along with quantities and suggestions for fabrics.

In general, it's nice to have a sewing maching, some spare needles. Hand needles, straight pins, iron, pattern wheel and paper, scissors.

The Duchess

...bias tape, white pencil, one of those little sharp thingys that pick out seams (my mind is a total blank on what that is called...) and be sure to use the straight pins with the balls on the end, not the flat metal ends (used to use those when I was younger and then decided to stop torturing myself.)

RHJMap.jpg

So what are the problems people have been having with this pattern? I am almost finished with the one I'm making for Scott, and so far had no trouble with it at all.

The size Large fit him just fine, and all I had to do was add 2" to the bottom and sleeves. The sleeves fit in the sleeve holes perfectly the first time, which I was surprised about since I'd heard that folks were having trouble with that.

My only complaints about the pattern are that it doesn't have a lining (which I added), and that the godets aren't really period without proper pleats and an opening in the middle. However, it really turned out nice. Oh and also that the cuffs attach funny if you follow the directions.

I'll post pics when we get the buttons attached. Anybody going to the Buccaneer's Ball will get to see it in person!

-Jennifer

"Let them eat cake. No wait, kill 'em all instead, and plunder the cake for yourself. Mmmmm, cake. . ."

So what are the problems people have been having with this pattern? I am almost finished with the one I'm making for Scott, and so far had no trouble with it at all.

So far my problems have not been with the pattern itself, only with the places where I have been trying to alter the pattern, and even there my only real problem is that the changes I made to the cuffs make the sleeves hang funny. I have also had a problem or two with my own stupidity, like where I added welt pockets to the coat and then accidentally folded over the one of the pocket bags and sewed a diagonal line through it while attaching the pocket flap because I hadn't thought to pin down the bag to keep it out of the way. :blink:

The size Large fit him just fine, and all I had to do was add 2" to the bottom and sleeves. The sleeves fit in the sleeve holes perfectly the first time, which I was surprised about since I'd heard that folks were having trouble with that.

Maybe the people who couldn't get the sleeves to fit skipped the bit about adding the two lines of thread to ease them into the holes. It's the only reason I could think of, unless some patterns were printed with oversized sleeves and others weren't.

Hmm. . .That sleeve thing has me stymied. I eased in the sleeve ease by hand and pin, no gathering threads necessary. After I spent the time pinning it in place, I machine sewed it in instead of hand sewing it like I planned because it just fit. How odd. Not that I'm complaining, really, but I was hoping to glean insight into where other people were having problems. : (

Cool pattern, though, if anyone has considered trying it and not done it yet. Remember to measure that sleeve length though, since it is supposed to come out a bit short, and some folks may not like that look. See Barbossa's short sleeves as an example.

-Jennifer

"Let them eat cake. No wait, kill 'em all instead, and plunder the cake for yourself. Mmmmm, cake. . ."

I didn't have any problems whatsoever with the sleeves. I put the ease stitches in, but didn't use them. The sleeves went it perfectly.

I wasn't too sure about the sleeve length at first, but now I like it and don't think I would want them any longer.

I really didn't have any problems with this pattern. It was my first project of this scope, however, so maybe it was beginner's luck.

Cheers,

Broadside

Often how well a pattern "works" is greatly affected by they type of fabric and thread used to make it.

It'd be interesting to see exactly what people who had trouble used...

The Duchess

Hmm. . .That sleeve thing has me stymied. I eased in the sleeve ease by hand and pin, no gathering threads necessary. After I spent the time pinning it in place, I machine sewed it in instead of hand sewing it like I planned because it just fit. How odd. Not that I'm complaining, really, but I was hoping to glean insight into where other people were having problems. : (

I'm beginning to wonder if the sleeve issue has something to do with what size coat each person was sewing. Maybe the pattern was not properly scaled/graded/whatever, or maybe the larger sizes just need less ease for some obscure reason. My coat is an XS and I definitely needed the gather threads to ease the sleeves into the holes.

;) Look at my bio pict, Its the frock, Lrg. velveteen. Its a heavy coat and the buttons are solid brass with eyelets sodered on the back ,purchased from a buckskinner supplier. At a dollar a pop they aint cheep! I did the some of the cutting and the misses did the rest, nech stock and jabot are my own creation.(yea guys sew sometimes to).The only problems she had was makeing two left sleves (sewed on the trim for the mock button holes ) We also didnot pull the cuff down a half in. Instead we left it short to off the lacy cuffs (added to and old sca poet shirt). ;) I allready have the button drop frount pants from my buckskinner days. with reall wooden buttons.

I'm one of the people with a sleeve issue. I used upholstery fabric for the coat, but I don't think that created a problem. I've been sewing for 26 years, so by now it's unlikely I'd cut the sleeve wrong or use the wrong size. It was an easy enough problem to fix. The rest of the coat went together in no time. I debated on adding a lining, but the coat is very heavy and my costume weighs more than enough as it is.

I've run into sleeve issues with another pattern before and have seen one or two other fitting issues with patterns as well. Years ago, I never saw any problems with problems - QA is always the first thing to go.

RHJMap.jpg

Per'aps Zath is right and the sleeve issue has something to do with which size was used. Seems like folks who used smaller sizes had more problems than those who made the bigger coats. Mine was a Large and I didn't have any problems, which I'm very surprised about.

Cheers,

Broadside