The World Famous Ojai Pirate Festival

This was in our paper today

Three wildfires scorch Southern California; one doubles in size in national forest

By: CHRISTINA ALMEIDA - Associated Press Writer

OJAI, Calif. -- A two-week-old wildfire has chewed through more than 90 square miles along the Los Angeles-Ventura county border, nearly doubling in size due to gusty Santa Ana winds.

The Day Fire was the largest of three blazes that kept firefighters busy across Southern California. Two new wildfires burned eight miles apart in the desert northwest of Palm Springs, forcing the temporary evacuation of about 2,500 residents. Two homes were destroyed in one of the desert fires.

While no one has been injured and no homes have been lost, the wildfire that has remained largely in the Los Padres National Forest crept within about 12 miles of the artists' enclave of Ojai, about 75 miles northwest of Los Angeles. The blaze was about seven miles north of Fillmore and 10 miles northeast of Santa Paula.

Gusty winds fanned flames on Sunday that almost doubled the fire's size. It has burned 60,589 acres, or about 93 square miles, since it began on Labor Day, and containment is estimated at 15 percent. More than 2,000 firefighters were battling the blaze, which was ignited by someone burning debris.

Officials credited a cool, moist ocean breeze Sunday night for slowing down the fire and putting communities out of immediate danger.

"It began pushing the fire back on itself and away from Santa Paula, Fillmore and Ojai," said U.S. Forest Service spokesman Richard Tobin. "We are collectively breathing a sigh of relief."

"The weather has changed ... and it is making life for the firefighters significantly easier," Tobin added.

Fire officials said they expected the blaze's main front to head northeast toward a group of mountains.

Winds were expected to be up to 15 mph, which could provide a window for firefighters to get better control of the blaze.

"We expect stronger winds to come in Thursday and Friday, so we have a couple of days to work on it," said Forest Service spokeswoman Dee Dechert.

Officials had advised the evacuation of about 350 homes in Upper Ojai, Matilija Canyon and Wheeler Gorge areas, said Sgt. Tim Hagel of the Ventura County Sheriff's Department.

Ninety students cleared out of an Ojai Valley boarding school near the fire.

"It was a voluntary evacuation, but they were urged to leave," said Peter Cavalho, a supervisor of maintenance at Ojai Valley Schools Upper Campus.

Marsha Campiglio, 58, who lives in the small forest community of Matilija Canyon near Ojai, said she had been "prepared to go at any time" since being contacted by officials at 6 a.m. Sunday.

"We've been putting stuff in the car all day, but we've been watching football too," she said, laughing.

The fire, which has cost about $15 million to fight, also scorched a condor sanctuary in part of the Sespe Wilderness and fish and game officials closely watched a condor fledgling. The bird was in a high, rocky area that was not in imminent danger and no intervention was necessary, Tobin said.

Portions of Highways 150 and 33 through the area were shut down, but the blaze was burning away from Interstate 5 in the east, which it had threatened in recent days. Interstate 5 remained open.

A red flag warning was in place for the area through Monday morning, meaning high winds and low humidity will create extreme fire conditions.

Meanwhile, two homes and two outbuildings were destroyed by a wildfire that ignited Saturday about 80 miles east of Los Angeles near the town of Cherry Valley in Riverside County, said Becky Luther of the California Department of Forestry.

The fire had burned about 1,500 acres, or two square miles, and was 50 percent contained Sunday, Luther said.

A third fire started about eight miles away in a Banning structure and spread rapidly. That fire, dubbed the Ranch Fire, moved rapidly toward Cherry Valley, swelling from 500 to 1,400 acres in a few hours. It was 15 percent contained.

Authorities said it did not appear the two fires would merge and they expected full containment for both early Monday.

Officials had called for mandatory evacuation of parts of Banning, Beaumont and the area around the Highland Springs Resort, but the orders were lifted Sunday evening.

Two outbuildings and a barn were damaged, said Capt. Steve Diaz of the Riverside Unit of the California Department of Forestry. He had no details about the building where the fire began.

On the Net:

http://www.inciweb.org/

Lets all pray real hard that it doesn't affect the event.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roll Call of current Pyracy Pub members planning on attending:

1. RumbaRue

2. Boats O'Toole

3. Leatherneck

4. privateer

5. Patrick Hand

6. Billy Bones

7. Pirate Petee

8. Ace of Harbor Bay

9. Skull Pyrate Carter

10. Jacky Tarr

11. Arthur Richards of Kent

12. Iron Bess

13. Black Hearted Pearl

14. Crimson Carl

15. Sweet Charity Morgan

16. TabithaAnne

17. Oderlesseye

18. Cascabel

19. Black Heart Marc (not related to BHP)

20. Durty Mick Moon

How about we try to all get together on Saturday for a group picture? Say around noon or later?

We can either meet at Ace's booth or at PoTC camp.

This just in from Dakini in PoTC:

I have sent an email to Condit to ask for a status. The Lake Casitas Camp Ground is not answering their phones. The campgrounds North of Ojai are being/have been evacuated today.

Residents of Ojai is getting ready to evacuate... does not look good.

The ocean breeze helped the fire a bit, but it has been burning since Labor day.. and is still on the move.

The smoke and ash are covering Ojai.. not good for those with breathing problems.

This in from Edward Pounds of Biggins:

Ok The town of Fillmore has been put on Notice to possible evactation, I live in the Santa Clarita Area during the week we can see the smoke billowing out and the winds are really bad. Look at a map and see the area of Fillmore and Ojai both are in the path of the fire. How long it will take to get there you guess as good as mine. But I know this if fire vehicles are going up and down that Highway you bet it will be a night mare and not to say you will not be allowed fires!!!

Although.... the prediction is for the Santa Ana's to kick up again with a vengence come this Thusday, back in the direction of the camp sites.

I believe this is a wait and see game now. It's going to depend on what happens day to day. (sigh) B)

We'll all hope for the best.

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Hey.... if th' fires DO burn through Lake Casitas...... they can just blame it on th' Pyrates..... :ph34r:

I can see it now..... chared dessolation and Pyrates wit guns, drinkin' rum.....

Yah gotta look on th' bright side...... wot a Photo Opp...... :ph34r:

(OK... I really do hope they get the fires under comtroll........)

UPDATE

Roll Call of current Pyracy Pub members planning on attending:

1. RumbaRue

2. Boats O'Toole

3. Leatherneck

4. privateer

5. Patrick Hand

6. Billy Bones

7. Pirate Petee

8. Ace of Harbor Bay

9. Skull Pyrate Carter

10. Jacky Tarr

11. Arthur Richards of Kent

12. Iron Bess

13. Black Hearted Pearl

14. Crimson Carl

15. Sweet Charity Morgan

16. TabithaAnne

17. Oderlesseye

18. Cascabel

19. Black Heart Marc (not related to BHP)

20. Durty Mick Moon

21. Dread Pyrate Gregory

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

How about we try to all get together on Saturday for a group picture? Say around noon or later

Aaaargh I seconds th' motion......(dang... I like th' sound O' that..... well the motion part anyways....... )

<sorry.... still in Bad Pyrate mode.....>

<hey.... oops..... Aaaargh it still be talk like a Pyrate day it be.....>

<but workin' on it fer Ojai.......>

<dang do I have to wear a "parental advisory" sticker on me forehead ...... again.......>

I just spoke to the Lake Casitas Boat Rental and they said they can't even see the smoke anymore. I also called the Gold Coast People and their message sadi the festival was ON! The Fire is now located in the Lockwood valley 60 miles away and things are looking like fair sailing. Now if I can only get my hat-dirty billy is sending it today-ARGHHHHHHHH-Ye can add me to the list of those who will be there. :lol::lol:

so, alright now mates, dear tell, where and when might we all be gettin together at the faire?.... n it be lookin like the weather be fine n no smoke or fires burnin near unless it be o our own makin...so, someone enlighten this miserable excuse for a pirate for which direction he be stumblin..... ;)

Just heard from our New Providence musical director Barracuda d'Morte that it's clear blue skies at Lake Casitas and the fire appears very far away. So I'll be there with the Port Royal Privateers and preforming with New Providence. I forgot to add Iron Bess and Durty Lillie will be there too!

New Providence has its own stage this year! ;) The Port of New Porvidence will feature the band plus story tellers, belly dancers and the Naughty Stircthers. We're suppose to be next to PRP. Come on by and check it out. The first New Providence performance is at 11am. Stay and at 4:30 it's the Balck Hat Society sing-a-long. Bring your favorite sea chany or song and join along!

Clear saling everyone! :)

Edited by Red Maria

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency