Somethin' Needed Fer Pirates

Redd Oktober

I went a few weekends ago ter the Northern Californee Ren Faire (in Hollister's Casa de Fruita, where we almost lost a lucky penny recently...thank Neptune we didn't...)...or as I likes ter call it - Casa de Faire....There be a good deal o' pyrates there. I been goin' ter these things fer some time (since I be a little clam in tights...since me uncle be one of the older merchants at the faire...a doubloon to anyone who guesses correctly who that might be)....and I thought ter meself....

"Hmmm...as much as ol' Redd likes ter be eatin', drinkin' an makin' merry...is there anything that I still want ter do here?" It be a tough question, an maybee I were in the wrong frame o' mind...but the Casa de Faire seemed ter be missin' somethin....

...What, fer all ye ren faire going pyrates, have ye always wanted ter have at a faire ter do or see? I be curious....maybee yer answers will stir somethin' in me.

-Redd

:ph34r:

REDD.jpg

YARRR! The Oktober be silent now! Just call me "REDD!"

Well ye see, I started out workin' the S. Fair in Agoura, CA. then when the fair moved to San Bernadino, I was there for many years, before leavin'.

One o' the problems with that particular fair includin' N. Fair that ye went to, is the polictics and costume nazi's are very strict. There's been a great many o' people who 'ave left because o' that bull.

I do know that Slo Fair up in San Luis Obispo, CA. doesn't allow pirate groups of any kind to do their fair. They want to keep it all Reniassacy and stuff.

Even the recent Ojai fair which use to be called a "pirate fair" has been changed to a 'Ren-fair with a pirate flair'.

The person in charge o' that fair gots many, many complaints 'bout why there was Queen Elizabeth at a pirate fair. Well, by changin' the name a tad, the 'in charge person' suits 'is own fancy.

I 'ave been to the Arizona Ren-fair and found it to be really good (I love the Ded Bob show), and politically incorrect I think be their motto. I am plannin' on goin' again next year (it's been two years since I first went), sometime in Feb. or March. Their fair runs weekends from Feb. through the end o' March.

I prefer the smaller fairs (such as the Escondio Ren-fair) as they be much more fun, more intimate and a closeness to the vendors and guests that attend.

One can get o' big burn out when doin' too many, an' perhaps expectin' too much.

RumbaRue

**What part of Arrrgggghhhh, don't you understand?**

Arr...fer a minute, I thought I be smokin' some bad tobakee. So you were in Agoura, eh? Then you know all about the Patterson clan I shouldn't wonder.

I haven't been ter their new fair (The "Heart o' The Forest" Faire)...(is it any good, anyone?). What's scary, is that I haven't been going to a variety of faires...just The NorCal "Pleasure Faire" (now Casa de Faire)...So I'm surprised in my own disappointment.

My relative who has been with numerous faires for a while told me about the politics that have kind of made the Casa de Faire a bit less hospitable...oh well...

...Perhaps I should check out Ojai meself, next year...?

REDD.jpg

I haven't been ter their new fair (The "Heart o' The Forest" Faire)...(is it any good, anyone?). What's scary, is that I haven't been going to a variety of faires...just The NorCal "Pleasure Faire" (now Casa de Faire)...So I'm surprised in my own disappointment.

Th' ol' Heart o' the Forest is the one closest to me, so I've been there both years so far. First year was a bit sparse, as she was competing with RPFN (the Casa) on every single one of her weekends.

This year, they shoved 'er back to the beginning of the summer. This made a couple o' things happen. It put her in a bit more hospitable weather (well, in comparison to 106 degrees in VacaHell, anyhow), an' it also opened the gates for merchants who couldn't make it last year. For some, having two boots in two faires simutaneously was quite an impossibility, for others, it was a new opportunity to add more weekends to the sellin' season, as it were.

That's the rosy way I see it anyhow. The Heart's a good place, smaller, a bit cozier, especially now that she's establishin' herself a bit more. There are those who would go to her instead of Casa de Faire.

And YES. You must go to Ojai at least once. ARRRRR!

:lol:

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because I am robbing you, tossing you overboard, and stealing your ship!"

-the only thing more dangerous than her.. is her needle-

Arr...fer a minute, I thought I be smokin' some bad tobakee. So you were in Agoura, eh? Then you know all about the Patterson clan I shouldn't wonder.

My relative who has been with numerous faires for a while told me about the politics that have kind of made the Casa de Faire a bit less hospitable...oh well...

I know Phyllis ( and yeah I know all about clan Patterson ;-) ) The Heart of the Forest faire down here is marvelous. It's held near Santa Barbara and is more like the old Faire in Agoura. Lots of trees and easy going atmosphere etc. . They didn't have it this year Phyllis said because her son Kevin (who is really running things) wanted to concentrate on the northern faire and the Dickens Faire in December. It will be back in Santa Barbara next year running against Southern Faire.

It may not be a problem though for HoF because I think more people with money would rather head up to Santa Barbara that out to the hellish heat of San Bernardino (where I am temporarily living). So it may work out for them. I also know that REC (Reniassance Entertainment Corp.) who runs both Northern & Southern Faires (among others) has pissed off many a vendor, entertainer etc. and quiet a few would like to work for Kevin and HoF instead.

Enough about that. I also worked at the Agoura site and was part of the pirate group there St. Dymphna's Guild aka The Sea Dogs. I am told for some reason they got kicked out (barfed on the queen?) of the REC faires and pirates are no longer allowed as participants (saying pirates weren't period!) . So that's why you don't see pirates at those venues.

Definately go to Ojai next year!

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

I can't help yeh much mate. I spent 7 years working at the New York Ren Faire and there ain't nothin' I'd rather be doin'. Playin' the vilest villains with my innocent face be about as much fun as I can handle. I'm still gettin' used teh playin' civillian(yeh want me teh pay teh come teh yer faire?). I find gettin' paid teh makes folks uncomfortable and teh scar their lil'uns much more satisfyin'.

-Blackeye Susan

Know them is an understatement.

When the fair moved to San Bernadino, I worked in the costume department, and yes I had to be a 'costume nazi' as I was checkin' people's costumes to make sure they were acceptable.

Phyllis just pissed everybody off- one day she came into the costume shed with a couple of male guests and took two really nice men's shirts that were assigned to two stage players, and GAVE them to her guests as GIFTS!

Talk about some pissed costume shed workers...

But the real hellion is Leslie Patterson....Personally I don't even want to talk about the grief she gave me and others...it's really, really, really, bad.

There's no way on this Earth that I would go to any of the fairs run by the Patterson clan.

*The best times o' me life were when I was workin' the fair when it be up in Agoura. I belonged to St. Cuthbert's Guild, till the fair moved locale, and by then I was unable to keep up with the parading around the guild required, so then I worked the costume department for a season, then worked for a vendor for a few years, then went into the Military Guild as a serving wench in the Queen's Guard, where I finally said, "adios" to all the bull after eight years.

RumbaRue

**No problem that can't be solved by the proper application of Black Powder** B)

Arrgh, RumbaRue, thar be no more blood-thirsty creature than a costume nazi. An' I don' be referrin' to those what likes their togs accurate; I be talkin' about those that belittles others for lack of accuracy then does nothin' to help.

Come over to the Force, shipmate. We be not a costume club and we welcomes all who wants to have fun. And, aye, your costume experience will be greatly appreciated by the crew in a galaxy far, far away. :ph34r:

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

Well ye see, I started out workin' the S. Fair in Agoura, CA. then when the fair moved to San Bernadino, I was there for many years, before leavin'.

I haven't been in years (no offense intented to any) but it was just disappointing after the move from Agoura. Cement sidewalks.....and where did everybody go???...........did meet a damn good psychic there...but.............has it improved? RumbaRue.....did you do costumes and accessories there (Agoura) for a while?

I haven't been in years (no offense intented to any) but it was just disappointing after the move from Agoura. Cement sidewalks.....and where did everybody go???...........did meet a damn good psychic there...but.............has it improved? RumbaRue.....did you do costumes and accessories there (Agoura) for a while?

Dissapointment isn't even the word I'd give S. Faire these days.....it SUCKS is more like it! Where did everybody go you ask, well, as I said, the politics became so bad, lots and lots o' people, like me left for better grounds.

I went a year ago, and couldn't believe how 'santitized' it had become. It's just AWFUL! I won't be goin' back.

No I wasn't involved in the costume stuff back in Agoura. The only reason I got into working the costume shed the first season as San Bernadino, well, it's who you know.....I'll leave it at that.

Ah, Capt. Grey us Force users aren't just your regular ol' bin o' apples. :lol:

RumbaRue

**I can imagine quite a lot** :lol:

Dissapointment isn't even the word I'd give S. Faire these days.....it SUCKS is more like it! Where did everybody go you ask, well, as I said, the politics became so bad, lots and lots o' people, like me left for better grounds.

I went a year ago, and couldn't believe how 'santitized' it had become. It's just AWFUL! I won't be goin' back.

No I wasn't involved in the costume stuff back in Agoura. The only reason I got into working the costume shed the first season as San Bernadino, well, it's who you know.....I'll leave it at that.

Ah, Capt. Grey us Force users aren't just your regular ol' bin o' apples. :huh:

RumbaRue

**I can imagine quite a lot** :ph34r:

Glad I spared meself the drive this year...we almost went out'a olde-tymes-sake.

RumbaRue.....did you do costumes and accessories there (Agoura) for a while?

Asked cause I knew a Rue whos sister had a booth at the faire for a while( if I remember correctly)............... she was quite a clever lass, doing props for movies and such), tis not a common name. Or a commonly know herb.

The Faire.....We lost heart for it after the Agoura faire closed. Yer tale explains the sullen atmosphere at Glenn (H?)Ellen ? aside from the small size of it and the lack of some of our favorite performers and artisans, the whole feel of it were...lacking............. tis been along time..... I hear some tried to start up another....is there anything local that you recommend? All the conversation here (PUB) has me inspired to go out and play again........

My experience with Ren Faires is that they are not very pirate friendly. There are several reasons for this.

Most serious "rennies" expect guilds to portray one era and to do it with complete accuracy. They do not want to see "storybook" pirates or a variety of eras represented. That means narrowing the focus of your guild to one era and dressing to please the costuming nazis, rather than the crowds. That's well and good if that's what you're into.

But the other side of the coin is that although the rennies are very well-versed in their own era's of history, they are quite often very misinformed when it comes to what a pirate should look like and will instantly lable anything resembling Captain Hook as "Hollywood" rather than history. If they read a bit of Dr. David Cordingly's work, they'd know better, but unfortunately they can be very harsh and very vocal in their criticisms.

The reason the event coordinators changed the name of the Goldcoast Pirate Faire to "A Renaissan Faire with Pirate Flaire" is that they felt that people just "didn't get it" when it was a pirate faire. Attendance was way up this year and they said they thought it was due to the name change or maybe Pirates of the Caribbean. Most of those in the audience felt that it was due to POTC.

I do feel that the presence of Queen Elizabeth at a pirate faire is very much appropriate. Her history with privateers is very interesting and it was done very well in my now second favorite pirate movie "The Seahawk" in which Elizabeth has a major role.

The nice thing about the Pirate Faire in Ojai is that it is FUN. Lots of pirates and not a lot of costume nazis. Everyone just having a grand time.

I think it is sad that the costume nazis can't have a good time unless everyone conforms to their vision of history. The Ojai Faire is a great example of just how much fun can be had in a relaxed, but reasonably historic faire.

We ARRRRRRRRRRRRRR gonna be thar again next year!!!!!

(and we might even bring the Land Shark!!)

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

You know, I've never been 'behind the scenes' at a faire, though I've attended a couple as a mundane. How much does it take ($, time, red tape) to set one up on your own?

As I've stated before, the folks here on this board have talent comin' outta their scabbards. Who's to say we couldn't start our own?

We've got accuracy, fun, vendors, writers, an actual tall ship, faire experience, a vast array of business folks, computer geeks, cooks, quartermasters, powder monkeys, and swabbies.

If nothing else, it would be a great chance for all of us to meet one another, and have a pirate party to put ol' Blackbeard ta shame!

Just a thought.

Rumors of my death were right on the money.

You know, I've never been 'behind the scenes' at a faire, though I've attended a couple as a mundane. How much does it take ($, time, red tape) to set one up on your own?

I've done it twice now. Not so much red tape (at least not here inna cornfields -- might be different on either of the coasts). Lotta work, big price tag. If the weather ain't yer friend, yer in big trouble, matey.

The Pyromaniac Pirate

I only attended me two or three Ren Faires sos I can't say nuthin' on how they be run. However, politics be politics no matter what yer crew be doin' and it do ruin it fer those of us who just want ter have fun.

The Ojai faire sounds like a right smart place fer a piritin' crew. I be markin' me calendar to be sure I makes it next year. Arrrrr.

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

Fer a while there, I was thinkin' of lookin inter startin' one (A Pirate Parley) up here in northern california. It wouldn't be outside, it would be inside a convention space at a local fairgrounds. I found a fairgrounds that would work nicely...but I just couldn't organize something like that on my own...too much $$ and time for one person to keep track of.

But think of it...an indoor pirate faire! The mood would be "Pirate Village at night" (like the Blue Bayou restaurant fer all ye POTC ride fans)...plus you have control of the climate (time ter break out them leather jackets ye always wanted).

Ah well...

REDD.jpg

You were trying to do that on your own?

What if you had a whole group of scallywags and wretches chipping in?

Do-able?

Hmmmm....tempting. I'd be willin' ter say "Possible"...as fer do-able...dunno. I'm a creative type, and not a business expert. I have successfully worked with several Northern California haunted events that were on a grander scale than this sort of event would be...but this would be a little bit more involved (business-wise, I mean...usually, someone else handled all the paperwork).

The space I found was roomy with a very high roof...and was suited for climate and light control. It has ample parking, it's near a freeway, and the rent seems reasonable for the square footage.

If there be someone willin' ter handle the business and legal ends of it...then I'd be hard pressed ter not participate.

I always hear about the non-pirate-friendly attitudes of a lot of faires. No matter what the cause is...WE the PIRATES may be having fun, but the audience needs to have fun too. There are Soooo many things that can be added to a "Pirate Parley" without having it revert to a ren faire. One of the more "romantic" eras of piracy was the 18th century,

so some non-pirate themes that can slip in to spice things up a bit:

-Carnavale

-Native Island Cultures

-Servants of British Colonialism (perhaps these could replace the ren-faire "puritans" and "Spaniards" as the "bad guys")

-Ye can even involve early American colonists...

I may just be shooting clouds here...but it IS nice ter dream.

REDD.jpg

Well, if you look at the top of this page, it appears that our Norn has some hands-on with this type of administrative stuff. Perhaps she can be persuaded to add her two doubloons worth...

*places plate of flaming buffalo wings next to the window, where the breeze can carry the smell to the cornfields*

Shouldn't be long.

Rumors of my death were right on the money.

Arr, matey, and tis home for lunch I be! Organizing an event is a strenuous task. Ye can have it all planned out on paper, but ye need ta expect the unexpected. (Bad weather can be the kiss o' death, although since it appears that you're planning an indoor event, that won't be such a big consideration.) A great part of it is advance organization, but ya gotta be ready to solve problems on the spot, too, and be prepared to take the flak when yer solutions aren't to everyone's liking.

The Pyromaniac Pirate

A great part of it is advance organization, but ya gotta be ready to solve problems on the spot, too, and be prepared to take the flak when yer solutions aren't to everyone's liking.

I hear you. During one of my more recent Halloween events, we had a successful first year (despite only having 12-15 people running the whole event...actors, builders, managers and all)...but all the advance planning never accounted for some of the obstacles we faced (crowd control, corn throwing...it was a haunted cornfield...etc.).

I also agree, that the toughest part of the job is having someone who basically needs to be the "Bad Guy"...someone who needs to say "No" an awful lot. When it's a volunteer event, it's tougher to deal with such issues...when it's an event where staff is compensated, then it's a little bit easier to have "The Boss" make decisions that may be deemed unpopular.

-Redd

REDD.jpg

Yep, I be forced to take me sword ta Gordian Knots alla time. If yer gonna have stage performers and more than one stage, then ya gotta schedule so that they don't interfere with one another. Same wif vendors, ye can't have all the same kind together. Ya gotta have a budget that you can AFFORD, so in case the thing tanks, you can still pay all the bills. Ya gotta have insurance, in case of stoopidity. Also, check wif the local businesses, they usually will agree to sponsor at various levels in exchange for various levels of perks.

The Pyromaniac Pirate