Somethin' Needed Fer Pirates

Redd Oktober

Premises liability, in case someone falls on their stupid head and decides it's your fault. Dram shop or the equivalent if yer going to sell alcohol. I had inclement weather insurance, too (but we're outside).

Advertising is a major issue, yes. Me (and anyone I can shanghai) put posters up from here to eternity. I had three radio stations doing spots and I still feel like I didn't cover enough territory. I had some good results last year with a group of us dressing up in garb and haunting public places like Omaha's Old Market. (Watch out about doing this in shopping malls -- they're considered private property, so you need permission, although if yer just shopping in garb, well maybe you can get away with it. I've been in just about every Walmart in this part o the country in me pirate outfit, because whenever I get to faire (I'm a vendor in me spare time) I find that there's a number of things that I need at Walmart. I know of a faire that did well with a "renaissance car wash."

Corporate sponsorship - We just get out there and ask folks. We offer it at various dollar levels, and at each of the levels, the contributor gets a little more bang for his bucks, starting out with free tickets and ending up with tickets, tshirts, banners and so forth displayed near the major attractions (in our case, the joust).

Don't forget ta get yer tax permits and alla that stuff lined up in advance.

The Pyromaniac Pirate

Let me tell ye me friend, ye be takin' on a firery dragon if'n ye want ta do a fair. It takes LOTS of money, most o' it up front.

It also takes a whole lot of ADVERTISING in order ta get people ta come.

I have to admit though, I doubt I'd be travelin' to the San Fran area of Calif., as doubloons aren't in me pocket much.

*Just an added note here, the twit who started the Corona Fair here, has tried over and over to get people to his fair, but it has failed badly. Why? The major problem is he is trying to take business away from S. Faire which runs consectivly during the same time. The other problem is the guy himself. He has lost more vendors and customers by his poor attitude and inability to run the place properly. He has gone bankrupt trying to keep this alive, but unfortunatly, it will die... and I doubt anyone would notice it gone.

So if'n I were ye, I'd be thinkin' twice 'bout this idea o' yers. I'm not tryin' to say no don't do it, but ye gots to be aware of the mighty high price it takes, not just only in yer pocketbook, but on yer sanity as well.

RumbaRue

**Pillage first, burn last** :ph34r:

Very valid points, RumbaRue...

Yeah...that's where I'd need someone else ter pretty much be the business end...I can get things done (set-up, sets, props, crowd control, flow...etc.)...I'm just not the paper monger I probably should be.

So...like I said earlier...it's a nice idea...but not something I'd really want ter be takin' on myself.

REDD.jpg

YARRR! The Oktober be silent now! Just call me "REDD!"

You know, I've never been 'behind the scenes' at a faire, though I've attended a couple as a mundane. How much does it take ($, time, red tape) to set one up on your own?

As I've stated before, the folks here on this board have talent comin' outta their scabbards. Who's to say we couldn't start our own?

We've got accuracy, fun, vendors, writers, an actual tall ship, faire experience, a vast array of business folks, computer geeks, cooks, quartermasters, powder monkeys, and swabbies.

If nothing else, it would be a great chance for all of us to meet one another, and have a pirate party to put ol' Blackbeard ta shame!

Just a thought.

I'd 'ave said put me down for a craft booth.....but ye be a looooong way away................

Arrrr, Captain Coyote, that be a Gallagher quote:

"Living in California is like living in a bowl of granola; what isn't fruit and nuts is flakes."

It be one o'me favorite sayings. :lol:

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

Arrrr, Captain Coyote, that be a Gallagher quote:

"Living in California is like living in a bowl of granola; what isn't fruit and nuts is flakes."

It be one o'me favorite sayings. :ph34r:

Aye, but don't forget the milk and honey......cappuccino, edamame, all season (generally) excellent produce...and the short walk to a beach...... :ph34r:

I miss seasons....especially fall.....it's still in the high 70's to 80's