Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

Unaware of man behind her, for a moment, Reiley almost considered allowing the bearded ruffian to brain the mistress with the chair he had hovering over his head. But instead he grabbed the nearest bottle and hurled it across the room, striking the oaf before he could strike.

"scuse me Gov-ner.." Said a voice from behind, interrupting Reiley's moment of victory.

As he turned, Reiley saw a small fist quickly get bigger, until it struck him square in the eye.

As the room spun around him, Reiley saw the sailor who hit him, then mistress Lilly and the youngman having words, then the sailor who hit him again, then the wooden floor as he fell to it with a crash.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aurore watched him closely as he spoke, giving small nod on ocassion.

"There are many things in a name, monsieur and there are those who say that knowledge of such can hold power." The dark eyes focused intensely upon his face, " And your hearing did not fool you in hours past. There is no need to apologise for unintentional transgress, no debt is owed."

Noting his shift as if discomforted by current circumstance, she looked away before continuing further, "Yes, matters of import. The way of the world, it seems. I could arrange to have word sent to your man, but as to your being moved...That might be a proposition of high risk and little gain."

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

“Well then,” he said his voice lowering. “I would be most grateful if thee would pen my will for me.”

The words, simple enough, hit him hard. It was not something he had ever thought to say so early in his life… “I have a young daughter that will need reassurances if anything should …if things do not care to right themselves this time.” He fell quiet once again. He could hear voices down below. Twas obvious the house was a busy one and yet he did not care to eavesdrop, something he would have been all too intent on, if the circumstances had been slightly more customary. He moved slowly, scratched his forehead somewhat before he whispered. “It appears I have a son now as well.”

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

A quick glance around showed me that the only occupant of the tavern not currently either fighting with someone or throwing something, was a foppish-looking gentleman at the bar. His smug expression did nothing for my temper. Grabbing a bottle, I hurled it at the fop, pulled the actress  from the floor and attempted to push her toward the door. "Pray, madame, let go of the ruffian's hair."............With my nose inches from hers, I shouted at the actress, "I'm away. Follow or stay. Your choice!"

Killingsworth watched the madness unfold before him. There was something about a fight…a good dirty fight that made him feel alive. After the bottle had careened past him, he stepped back further towards the edge of the bar where he could be out of harms way. He watched the scene play out. “Better than the theater!” He muttered to himself. He saw blows thrown, furniture bashed over heads and backs, bottles and clay jugs broken upon pates and pallets. Soon the floor was drenched in ale, beer and blood. It was then he saw the young lad dash off and exit the tavern, leaving behind a half conscience male companion and the actress kneeling beside him trying to pry him from the floor. As she pulled at him and tried to get her male companion to sit up, she looked about the room as if to see what happened to the young lad. It was then and only then Killingsworth confirmed that it was the actress Lilly McKinney. Her face drew pale and panic struck her. Even in this horrid little dark tavern she looked exactly as he remembered her in Othello. It was the very same panic-struck look which fell upon her face as Othello came at her while she played Desdemona in the final act. It was then he started to walk towards the couple. He could hear her scream at her half-dead friend that they must depart before it was too late. Smiling to himself and thinking all the while. “This is the part of my job I truly love…”

200px-John_Wilmot2.jpg

Allow me to be frank at the commencement; You will not like me...™

portroyalbannerfinalbig-1.gif

It pained her to see him in such frame of mind, though she could not go so far as to understand why. She mulled over Sterling's words in silence to the muffled backdrop of voices below. When Aurore spoke again, it was with a reassurance that was unbending, as if some unknown had delivered knowledge.

"The will and testament are not called for at this time, you will get beyond this downfall, though not unscathed. And yes..." She paused to glance his way then to the far wall, "There is a boy that bears your continuence..."

She stood away from the chair, moving to window's open view, "Tell me...What is your deepest desire, Capitaine?"

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

He was almost startled by her question. “My…my deepest..,” he mumbled in surprise then shook his head as if to clear it. My God, there were so many things he could give such a title to… his health, his child, no, now children, the ‘Angel, her crew… Cate, Lilly, peace with his father… He watched her for a moment, as the last rays of sunlight fell upon her through the open window. A golden hue dancing about her slender form, caressing the warm russet curls that cascaded down to the small of her back, until she looked as if she was lightly dusted with gold dust. Before he could think further upon her query, he spoke it… “To know thy name.”

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Though dazed, Reiley felt the careful hands turning him over, then realizing that Mistress McKinny was kneeling by his side.

"Did we win?" he asked, as he looked into her eyes.

However, as he looked into her eyes, he noticed something he had never seen before. It was fear... But not from the mere spectacle that continued around them, there was something here she was truly afraid of, something... or someone?

"Please!" begged Lilly, as she looked into his eyes.

The game was over and no longer was there a playful grin. "Go! Now!" Reiley barked, as he pushed the mistress toward the door, covering her with his arms.

He wasn't sure what the sudden and unknown terror consisted of. But without blade or pistol, it was surely a demon of which he wanted no part of.

Suddenly the door flew open as guards of the town malitia poured into the tavern.

"Through the back!" ordered Reiley, as he guided Lilly through the crowd.

A hint of curl played her lips at his answer, it was not what she had expected, nor did it truly startle her. Moving away from window, Aroure came to rest near one of the bed's high reaching posts. Giving a nod of consent, her wordings came softly, " A simple request and if you are sure that it is your truest desire, than I shall give you what you wish. What I am known by is Aurore Devareaux...Though, it is not the name I was christened with."

Sterling seemed to ease back into the embrace of pillows and ticking. He was astonished by how content he suddenly felt now that she had consented to his request.

“I thank thee, Mistress Devareaux. Tis comforting to know the name of one who has come to be my saviour. Thou art too kind.” And yet she had stirred his curiosity as well…. There was more to her than she was willing to confide. Again he thought himself foolish. Surely she had done enough just by stopping to see to him earlier on, must she now tell him her life history as well? He tried to concentrate on business matters of importance.

“Yes, thank thee, I would be most grateful if word could be sent to my steward… a Mr. Josiah Symms. He is as doting, or annoying ,”

he actually chuckled softly to himself.

“As any nursemaid but he is old and I do not wish to cause him concern. I fear when I took leave this morning, I left him no word. He will have the militia out searching if he does not hear soon enough. I shall leave all the other matters in his hands except one…if thee would be kind enough to also include that a note from Admiral Morgan came to me this day…” he frowned deeply. “I did not have the opportunity to read it myself… Mistress McKinney…” he stopped… how to word this correctly was beyond him in his current state. The mere mention of the actress’s name would no doubt send Symms into a frenzy. He pressed the heels of his hands hard against closed eyes… “Perhaps later,” he whispered. “I fear I cannot think….”

Crewe of the Archangel

Lilly’s heart was now in her throat. “Oh please, Dr. Reiley…I will not go without you…I need your help as much as you need mine!” Reiley didn’t stand there to argue with her. As he pushed her towards the back door, she quickly looked over her shoulder and saw the Fop walking towards them. “Please…oh for the Love of Jove…this way!” She shouted after Reiley. It was then Reiley turned in the direction of Lilly’s stare. As Reiley held his head in one hand; lightly touching his blackened right eye, it was then he got a good look at this person which Lilly claim to fear. “Damn them to hell!” He shouted. “He’s a French Dog!” Suddenly, Lilly grabbed his hand and rushed through the back hall, past through the kitchen and out the back door into the alley. As they ran down the narrow path they headed towards the harbor. With both of them being out of breath they took to hiding behind crates that were set upon the dock. Lilly fell against one of the crates and tried to catch her breath as Dr. Reiley did the same. “Who was that man?” Ask Reiley as he spit on the ground and breathed deeply. Lilly closed her eyes and started to weep. “He is the Devil himself sent by my Patron to come and collect me.” Dr. Reiley knew this woman was trouble and it seemed that he had gotten his hands full of it now. “Why?” Lilly wiped her tear drenched face with the back of her hand. It was then the young lad from The Shipp appeared to them standing there with pistol drawn. “Fools! You could have gotten us killed back there!”

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Soldiers! Bugger all! I did an about face and headed toward the back. Jumping over prostrate forms and broken furniture, I noticed the actress was being assisted in the same direction by her bloody-faced companion.

"What the bloody hell is going on?" I yelled, as the three of us pelted out the door. "And, who is the fop and why does he put the fear of God into you?"

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Sterling seemed to ease back into the embrace of pillows and ticking. He was astonished by how content he suddenly felt now that she had consented to his request.

“I thank thee, Mistress Devareaux. Tis comforting to know the name of one who has come to be my saviour. Thou art too kind.” And yet she had stirred his curiosity as well…. There was more to her than she was willing to confide. Again he thought himself foolish. Surely she had done enough just by stopping to see to him earlier on, must she now tell him her life history as well? He tried to concentrate on business matters of importance.

“Yes, thank thee, I would be most grateful if word could be sent to my steward… a Mr. Josiah Symms. He is as doting, or annoying ,”

he actually chuckled softly to himself.

“As any nursemaid but he is old and I do not wish to cause him concern. I fear when I took leave this morning, I left him no word. He will have the militia out searching if he does not hear soon enough. I shall leave all the other matters in his hands except one…if thee would be kind enough to also include that a note from Admiral Morgan came to me this day…” he frowned deeply. “I did not have the opportunity to read it myself… Mistress McKinney…” he stopped… how to word this correctly was beyond him in his current state. The mere mention of the actress’s name would no doubt send Symms into a frenzy. He pressed the heels of his hands hard against closed eyes… “Perhaps later,” he whispered. “I fear I cannot think….”

Aurore read the weariness on Sterling's features, "Perhaps it would be best if you not concern yourself for the moment. More rest seems of greater import for now."

The soft footfall aproaching caught her attention just before Christophe reapeared in doorway's gape. The Frenchman hung there momentarily, as if guaging the waters before crossing the short distance between. A folded paperment was extended to her as he spoke in low voice, " Andre' is staying in town this night...buisness matters that need tending. Sabastian is tending to buisness of another sort and will remain there as well. Luck is laying blessings on you."

Inwardly, she sighed in relief...

Reiley knew he was worse for wear, but when he spotted the youngman with his pistol drawn, he was gladly willing to accept any confederate which presented itself.

"That's the style boy-o and keep yer eyes sharp! Then if that foppish bastard shows himself, you can send him to hell."

"Mistress, if you will be kind enough to help me to our carriage, we will be away..."

Making their way to the carriage, "If you would be so kind to take the reigns young sir," Groaned Reiley. "My ribs would be very grateful."

Quickly they left the area and down a back road from Reiley's direction.

"Where are we going?" called the youngman, as he drove the horses harder.

"To a safe house!" Called Reiley, as he carefuly padded his eye.

Within a short time, they had stopped at a small mill just outside of town.

"We'll be safe here for the moment." assured Reiley as he led his companions to the back door.

As they entered the house, the smell of fresh bread filled the room.

"That's my girl!" called Reiley, as he threw his arms around the old woman who looked up from the table.

After a moment he turned to his companions, "And she gets prettier everyday!! Mistress McKinney, Youngman, allow me to present the Duchess of Port Royal... Mrs. Abagail Cra--ne!"

"Pleased to meet you." curtsied the old woman.

Turning to Reiley, the old woman lit into him. "I suppose you're hurt again, arn't you?! Word has it you got yourself drunk and caught by the Allister Brothers... I suppose they're the ones that did this to you?"

Then turning to Lilly and the youngman,"Make yourselves at home, darlings. There's no need for propriety in this house! Especially with this lot around.."

"You are the best Abbi. But unfortunately this isn't just a social call. I'll be needing my works."

"On a job are you?" the old woman inquired, casting a look toward the youngman and mistress Lilly. "I should have known... Well it's down stairs where you left it."

Then watching Reiley dart toward the cellar. "You might as well bring up something cold to drink while you're down there... Sounds like there's a story to be told here."

As we entered the mill and were introduced to an elderly lady of obvious acquaintance with the bruised and bloodied gentleman, I allowed myself to relax. Yet, anger still boiled within me, directed both at my forced companions, and at myself for letting them involve me in a situation of which I was igonorant of the circumstances.

I looked at my ruined hat, retrieved on my rush from the tavern. Its robin's-egg blue was sullied by the imprint of someon's dirty foot—the toes were quite distinct. I had also lost the silk ribbon that held back my hair, which tumbled in an unruly red cascade to my shoulders. That did not immediately betray my sex, as long hair, both real and wigged, were all the fashion. However, I had no desire to push my luck, considering I had used up a great deal of it to get out of the tavern before the soldiers rousted the place.

Taking a deep breath to calm myself further, I gave the old woman a slight bow. "My name is Ransom, Marm. And I agree, a drink would be just the thing, under the circumstances. Then, with regret, I must leave you all. I have business at the docks that needs attending."

I turned to the actress, my blue eyes flashing sparks. "As for you, madame, I fear I cannot be, nor do I wish to continue to be, of further service. I don't wish to know what calamitous scheme you are embroiled in, nor do I wish to find myself arrested." I felt the anger raise its dragonish head again. "As for the kiss, well, you and I both know that was a sham. Better you should plant your kisses on someone who can appriciate them."

With that, I plopped myself into a chair, hung a leg over the arm, and waited for the gentleman to come up from the cellar—hopefully with something stronger than wine.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"IT'S NOT DOWN HERE ABBI!" yelled Reiley, from the cellar.

"Look behind the CABINET!" replied the old woman, in an equally loud manner.

"The what?!!" called Reiley.

"THE CA-BI-NET!!" bellowed the old woman, causing Lilly and young Ransom to sit back in their chairs.

"Now what was this about a kiss?" Abbi inquired, as if she was to become savvy to a fine piece of gossip.

"Well, I... I mean she." Ransom and Lilly stumbled over their words and pointing toward each other.

Luckily the cellar door suddenly burst open as Reiley flopped an arm full of bags and cases onto the kitchen table.

"I found it!" He cheered, pounding his hand onto the dust covered collection.

"Oh, here you go my friend!" Called Reiley, as he tossed a bottle to Ransom.

Within moments, Reiley had uncovered an array of pistols, knives and other "have-at-you's".

"But this!" He announced, "This is my real treasure!"

With the reverence a priest might present a chalice, Reiley produced a long object covered in a fine red cloth.

Then taking a deep breath as he looked around the room, he revealed a sword which left all that looked upon it speechless....

"That is without a doubt, the ugliest sword I have EVER seen!!" clucked Abbigale, bringing to words the same thought which everyone was thinking.

"I never said it was pretty!" snapped Reiley as he wiped some of the rust from the scabbard.

It was almost unbareable as Ransom and Lilly tried to restrain their laughter.

"I've told him time and time again," Clucked the old woman with her hands on her hips. "..a sword is supposed to be a sign of a gentleman's position. That sword, if you don't mind me saying, says, 'Look at me, I'm a cleaner of stables'......"

"Looks may be decieving my dear Abbigale!" Reiley offered, as he strapped the sword to his side. "Looks may be decieving!"

Andrew March had stood waiting for Admiral Morgan to disembark from his coach for his breakfast. He had not intended to run into the man in such a way but at first thought that fate was smiling on him. Still Morgan had not seemed pleased to have his breakfast interrupted in such a fashion. In spite of his politeness toward Mistress March, the admiral made short work of his time with March, offering to take the letter the first officer extended in hand..and dismissing him with a request that he make an appointment with his secretary.

But March, far too wise, though he would never make such a claim, instead, thanked Morgan and quickly returned his letter of introduction to his own pocket. He bowed politely to his better and Skittles made a charming curtsy and they made their way off for the day.

It was well after the supper hour before March returned his wife to the safety of their rooms and he told her not to wait up for him. She kissed him goodbye for now and he made his way to the Captain's place of abode.

"Ah good evening to ye Mr. Symms!" March said as the older man opened the door to him. "I know I am late but things have not gone as planned. If he's feeling up to it, I would like to have a word with the captain. The admiral has not been of much assistance and I would like permission to go directly to Modyford instead."

He should have know something was amiss when the old steward remained fixed in the doorway and would not let him enter. It was not as if Symms purposely blocked the first officer's way, he was just at the end of his rope...it had been hours since he had last seen his charge.

"He be not here," Symms said, panic emphasizing his words.

March could not help but smile. "Well tis good to hear it then. Up and about is he?"

"Aye but in no sound condition to be so," Symms replied.

A curious frown wrinkled the first officer's brow.

"How so Josiah? Ye have me worried now by yer tone as well as yer claim," March said.

"And right so, Mr. March. The captain's gone missing... the doctor and that.... that," Symms sputtered for a moment before he let forth with..."That bleedin cow of an actress have gone out searchin fer him. They be all gone since early this mornin!"

"This morning? Sure then that someone has laid hold of him. He can't surely have gotten far adrift walking about Jamaica?"

"Tis the thing that he managed to rent hisself a horse... God knows where he has gotten himself off to and no one has even sent word to either end of it."

"Damn ye Josiah, what were ye thinkin then?" March suddenly shouted at the old man. "Why did ye not send word over to me or at least Mr. Hazzards?"

"I did! I did! Mr. Hazzards has gone to the watch to inquire and seek aid in finding the captain. He sent the lads to look fer ye, but I see now that they did not find ye... He is in a bad way this time... I fear the worst," Symms said. "I wish to wait here in case they bring him back... but do what ye must Andrew to be finding him."

The appearance of an aged, rusty sword, presented with such flourish, was the last straw. I burst out laughing. This whole escapade had reduced itself to low farce. I pulled the cork from the rum bottle and took a healthy swallow.

"A toast to you master...whoever you are." I raised the bottle again. "And to you Mistress Lilly...yes, I do know who you are—more's the pity. I'll drink to your continued good health, and to mine. Then I must away. As I said at the outset, I have business to attend to at the docks"

I pointed at the sad excuse for a weapon hanging from the man's belt. "Since it appears the last person to use that sword—it's not made of wood, is it—was someone's great grandfather, you might want to give it a polish before you attempt to gut anyone with it."

Having finally had enough of the comedy, I set the bottle on the table, bowed elegantly to the startled assembly, and strolled out the door. Once the door was safely closed behind me, I jogged to the coach and unharnessed one of the horses. With a laugh, I lept to its back, kicked the sluggish animal into a gallop, and headed back to Port Royal and the safety of my ship.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Aurore read the weariness on Sterling's features, "Perhaps it would be best if you not concern yourself for the moment. More rest seems of greater import for now."

He did as she suggested and closed his eyes, the first time to sleep without dreams whether good or corrupt. It was dark when he was awoken and encouraged to try and eat. The same young girl he had witnessed earlier, who had come in an attempt to change the bed linens, sat, almost nervously, beside him now with a simple broth. She helped him to sit up and already he felt better. The medicines slowly beginning to take their affect, his fever lower and his mind, with rest, more sober in its faculties. He could not stomach as much as the girl had hoped to tell her mistress, but what he had finished was well enough…. Already the fight was re-establishing itself in him. For once again, the poor girl was sent away without making the bed up as instructed, for she could not produce a robe de chambre with which guest would not remove himself from the bed without.

With something finally to fill himself, he quickly grew weary, the sounds of low voices murmuring, like a soft music, soon had him fast asleep again. Sterling would sleep then until almost morning. When he awoke the lady would be in the chair besides his bed, once again at the post she had chosen to place herself in, watching him carefully lest his fever return in full force once more.

Crewe of the Archangel

As the sun continued sluggishly to more westerly regions, the area around the cottage became a hive of activity. The large fire pit was filled and the act of determined stoking brought small flicker to controled pyre. The beginnings of ritual, which presented itself with nightly ocurrance, lay in prepatory stage, and as the light decreased the company would multiply. Tender swine was suspended on blackened spit and the rotation was begun, its keeping would be steadily exchanged to ensure even outcome. A keg of small beer and another of brandy were rolled into near proximity.

It was a motley crew that hung the surround, a mixture of race and origin that had common ground by repute of skills. There was a blind eye turned to any begrudgery from homelands, each relied on the other in strange symbiotic truce and they were paid well for their union. Total ranks Numbered five and twenty if all gathered in one spot, but such instances were rare. It was shift work, some were always in the away while others hovered near. The rules set into place gave guarantee that the Ring of thieves and ruffs prospered.

Swine sacrifice continued steady circum navigaiton at spit post, drippings causing sizzle and spark of fire's protest as heavy scent colored the air with minglings of spiced marinade. Instruments as varied as their bearers, would come to the round and the troubles of the day would be vanquished in the revelry. Soon, the Faithful would be gathered near.

The Frenchman perused card spread deserted on teak surface two hours before. Carefully his gaze went from one position to the next, deciphering the tale of Past, Present and Future, but it was the Third in horizontal arrangement that kept calling his attention. The assemblage of clothed bones and the leer rendered on face berift of flesh drew a scowl to Christophe's exression. 'Change', he mouthed the word without giving it the benefit of sound. Glancing upward to the rafters, he pondered what the following cards told with colorful depictions.

Again he followed the sequence and the symbology that each announced, whispering placement, " Past, Present, Future, this Crowns you, this the Foundation..." A small chill ran the legnth of his spine and without thought, Christophe placed two fingers over flesh inking laying hidden under linen shirt. The intricate design was believed to protect its bearer from misfortune and since its application, had proven true to the words of its creator.

The slate colored sights drifted to the stairs, traveling upward to the landing and soft glow of open chamber just beyond...

As the sun contineud sluggishly to more westerly regions, the area around the cottage became a hive of activity.

He listened to the sounds that filtered in through the open window and grew more inquisitive as to his surroundings. He was not ready yet to stir from the bed provided for him but his mind, growing more and more clear, was becoming more fixed in the sphere of curiosity. He finally rolled onto his side to face her.

“Good morning Lady,” he whispered. “I pray thou has spent the past night in some form of slumber. I would hate to see thee take my place once I am on my feet again.” He found himself not only feeling better but more bold as well, his good eye moving over his rescuer’s form, pleased to take in such a pleasant sight first thing. “Perhaps I shall ease thy burden and depart later this day then thy household may return to it’s intended habit.” When he was content with his fill of her, he looked about the room. His hat, boots, coat and gloves, brushed and laid upon a cane chair in the far corner. “Perhaps I might inquire as to the rest of my clothing?” And he could not help but drink her in once more.

Crewe of the Archangel

The delicate balance of native rhythems and sorrowful flute wafted window's gape, lulling Aurore to a semi-sleeping state. Sterling's whispered tidings brought her to full attention. His color had improved with the night's passage and there was a higher lever of awares to overall bearing. The Englishman's statement of departure brought a small furrow to her brow and in turn brought a speculative look to her expression. Sterling's vissual appraisal of her did not go without notice, though she played aloof.

" I see that you are feeling better for the wear, monsieur. And as to returning this domocile to its intended habit," Aurore inclined her chin towards window vacinity, "I cannot say that you have taxed it overmuch."

She locked sight with him, with an air of challenge in answer to his steady survey, "Is that what concerns you greatest? The where abouts of linen adornments?" With practiced ease, Aurore switched manner of speech to Rom dialect, " I think there is more that plays your thoughts than what you are saying."

The smile that formed on the fullness of her lips gave glimpes of qualities that hid just below polished surface.

" I see that you are feeling better for the wear, monsieur. And as to returning this domocile to its intended habit," Aurore inclined her chin towards window vacinity, "I cannot say that you have taxed it overmuch."

She locked sight with him, with an air of challenge in answer to his steady survey, "Is that what concerns you greatest? The where abouts of linen adornments?"

“Glad I am then to hear such.” He could not help but smile “As to mine small clothes and stockings, I fear I would be at a loss to wander back into port without them in tow. My father once tried to have me committed, I would not wish to give him the ammunition to succeed in a second attempt to have me locked away. Perchance then I should stay a bit longer?” When she fixed her gaze with his, he found himself not willing to back down but continued rudely to look into her eyes. Before he could curb his tongue, he found himself blurting out, “As I find the company most enchanting.”

Crewe of the Archangel

His blurted admission drew a smallish raise of one delicate brow, but all else remained unchanged. Aurore's next voicing had the texture of silk in its extention to his hearing, " You flatter me, monsieur. Skillful words laid by praticed tongue. I think it is the mystery that enchants you more so. The enticement of the unknowns can seem very...tempting. But, unknowns can prove dangerous, monsieur."

A hint of former smile tickled her expression, but the challenge in her eyes remained.

"Perhaps..." he mused, and could not help but imagine the Empress boxing his ears for his carelessness. "Well since thee are as allusive regarding mine clothing as thee were regarding thy name," he countered. "I think it safe to say, I will needs be confined to this bed a few more days. A task I could bare more easily if thee would be inclined to be so kind as to read to me, provide me with a volume or two, there is a quizing lense in my coat pocket, or would thee mayhaps be amused to continue on with our little head to head? But first Lady," he added, struggling a bit to sit himself upright. "I need to send word into my steward. I can no longer delay business regarding some necessary letters."

Crewe of the Archangel

Pity, Aurore thought to herself. It seemed that her guest was as easily shaken off as many of same origins residing in town. She regained her waifish hiegth and reached to the bedside table laying there in opened state. A glance was cast to the reply scribed under her own scribe, before handing it to him, " I do think that perhaps you should be familiar with its content? Unless, that is, it was another that acted in your stead.."

Remembering the mentioned lens in coat's keeping, it was fished out and handed over to Sterling's possession.