Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

It was a foolish idea. But without many choices, an idea just the same. However, after returning to the main gate, Reiley quickly donned the cloak, hat, gloves and carbine of one of the guards. It was his hope that he might be allowed a closer approach to the manor should he attempt to appear as one of the guards. But what was more important was finding a set of keys on one of the watchmen.

Then after quickly ensuring the guard's state of ensnarement, Reiley casually made his approach to the manor.

Within moments a trio of large canines came barrelling toward him.

"This is going to hurt boy-o." Thought thought, Reiley as he brought down the carbine from his shoulder.

As the dogs approached with a deepening growl, Reiley carefully held out his hand to allow the dogs to sample his scent.

After a few very tense and terrifying moments, it was obvious the mutts were not going to attack. "Go on now!" barked Reiley, in an attempt to mimmick the voice of the first guard. Surprisingly the animals obeyed.

"You'll be paying a visit to the vicar (Priest) for that one..." Sighed Reiley, as he watched the dogs dissappear into the nearby woods.

"Alright Mistress, where the devil are you?"

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sabastian's heavy footfall was heard as he strode by the chamber towards the back of the house. A slam of door reverbirated with strong clarity, an omen of things to come. Even with the distance between here and there, they could hear objects riffled and slung with viscious manner, bouncing of near distant walls and falling with finallity of thud to flooring.

Megan was the vision of scared rabbit with each impact heard, her eyes wide and uncertain, as the last stays were afixed on Aurore's azure silk cladding. Aurore whispered words of reassurance to the girl and told her to stay in the room until more comfortable then moved to Sterling.

"I know what his thoughts are...and they are not of reason. When I was a little girl an event happened that roused his ire almost to what it is now. He was brutally whipped for his actions and the issue was over a horse that time."

Aurore had a far away look as she voiced partial thoughts, a crash of glass shatter emphisized emotions whirling like a typhoon's build unseen. Once again a door was heard abused on hinged support as it collided with wall and the assult of boot strike pummeled hall flooring. She glanced to Sterling, her expression a motley confusion as tender stroke was laid to his cheek...Then she stepped rapidly through the door.

Angry protest was countered with plead for clearer thinking, back and forth in pendular manner so like bout in the Square. Then there was silence, a thing of disconcerting quality in wake of what had ocured in prologue. Door knob turned slowly and Aurore stood to the side, acting as usher to sanctuary.

Fallen angel with broken wings entered the room, once proud bearing vanquished and morphed into something else entirely. Sabastian said nothing, but half glanced to Sterling as chamber was crossed and chair was taken.

If the eyes are truly windows to the soul, then swimming in twin pools was a wretching embodiment of pain, loss and sorrow....But deeper still, was pyre of desired vengence who's thirst would not be easily quenched.

"I know who did this to my Mol..." he said icily, " And the regiments of Hell will not dare stand betwixt he and me when I dispatch his soul. They will instead sing my praises for returning one of their own back to the fold..."

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

"I know what his thoughts are...and they are not of reason. When I was a little girl an event happened that roused his ire almost to what it is now. He was brutally whipped for his actions and the issue was over a horse that time."

"I know who did this to my Mol..." he said icily, " And the regiments of Hell will not dare stand betwixt he and me when I dispatch his soul. They will instead sing my praises for returning one of their own back to the fold..."

"Sorry for your loss I am," Sterling said as brother made his way into the room. He watched as the other man cast him a look that challenged without spoken word, "and what would you know of such matters?"

Sterling reached for his shirt and pulled it on over his head. "Mayhaps not as foul as murder, but just as swift and unexpected. I lost my wife in childbirth when she delivered afore time," and he shook slightly at the memory. He retrieved boots and stockings next and started to settle himself on the edge of the bed. He quickly changed his mind, no need to bring to memory how he had been found and add more discomfort to his host. He moved to the chair across from Sabastian and began to draw on silk hose and soft leather riding apparel.

"I am coming with you," Sterling suddenly announced as the second spur was buckled into place. He did not look to Aurore where she stood to see her reaction. "It is the least I can do to repay your sister's kindness." He sat up, buttoning the collar of his shirt. The other man's expression too complex to fathom beyond that his offer was not welcome. So he repeated himself, with an air authority that he wielded unpretentiously from years of experience. "I am coming with you... as you say, tis my world that this poor girl was from. If you want vengeance, that is your choice, but if we can achieve this through the proper channels first, then perhaps we shall keep your own neck at its proper length and I can return you to your sister alive." He leaned upon the table betwixt them and locked his gaze with Sabastian‘s. “Ye think I know little of your kind. I know more than well enough. If ye fail in your attempt and come to be trapped in this little strategy of yours, ye will not stand a chance with the local authorities. If ye will allow me, I can help in this matter. If ye don’t, some how I will tie ye down in that chair so yer sister be not forced to wear black weepers!”

Sterling rose and took up his silk waistcoat and moved arms into sleeves. As he began the task of buttoning he asked, “So what makes ye think ye know who done this abominable thing?”

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Sabastian raised a brow and smiled secretly while eyeing port decanter near standing.

"Your offer is most appreciated, but I think you misjudge my status on this spit of land in tourquois sea." He reached for lone goblet, surveyed its' emptiness then filled concave. "Monsieur, even the puppet governor of this place calls to us with wants and needs. I fear no ride on three legged mare."

He took deep draught and looked sidelong to where Sterling sat. "This is not Navarre and I am no longer what I was...Here a man can be king if one knows how to play the game...And I have well mastered the rules."

Sabastian cast a thoughtful look to his kindred, " I would not have you place yourself in risk, monsieur...This bird is mine to snare and his pretty plumage stripped...He is the embodiment of all the ill memories of me and mine."

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

"You seem to know your prey well, monsieur," Sterling said pulling on his coat. "Still I am coming with you, at least to watch yer back." He looked now to Aurore. "If you would be so kind Lady. My sword and revolver." He looked back toward Sabastain. "So who in this island of criminals stands out to be the culprit and why?"

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Aurore wanted to argue the point, both cases as to why she had not desire for either to leave out on fool's errand. But to push her case would be an act of futility and regretfully, she gave into what was requested.

Sabastian drew from goblet and considered before answering, "The gentleman...if one were to say of such, is newly arrived and holing himself up at The Shipp. A paon of the worst ilk, but a fine example of the breed. He is called Reginald Killingsworth, quite apriori. We crossed paths the other night and I disrupted his plans of a night 's pleasure, insulted him in turn. It was that warning insult that has played me foul and cost me even greater..."

“Reginald Killingsworth, say you?” Sterling asked, unable to mask his astonishment. “A fop…with a speech defect?” He did not wait for the other man’s reply. “My God,” he whispered. “Your ways and influence here will not help you if you have dared to cross Lord Robert Darnely. Killingsworth is but his puppet. And for all his appearance, he is not a man to be taken at face value. He‘s here to collect a debt. I fear your Molly may only be his first target. By Heaven, what have ye done to Lord Robert for him to force Killingsworth to crawl this far from his hole?”

Crewe of the Archangel

A shadow of bemusement lit upon Sabastian's face," Pardon? Who? I know nothing of this Lord Darnely. He has no connection to me and mine."

He grew quiet, contemplating for a fleet then shook his head.

"Non...I cannot raison what this man or his cur have to do with us. Though I might be able to find out what this debt is that he wishes to collect on actually is. Again, I tell you to stay clear of this, monsieur. This Killingsworth is not back home in London and has transgressed grievously..."

Inner pain rose to Sabastian's expression and he turned away quickly to mask it by refilling goblet's want.

Sterling watched as Sabastian downed more of the port. Perchance if he just waited the younger man out he would drink himself into oblivion and, at least, for one night, they all would be able to rest some what easy. And then the morrow would provide them all with the chance to discuss more opportune ideals. He took up the other glass and filled it, making sure to top off Sabastian’s as well. He took a sip from his own and tried to reckon as to why Killingsworth would be in Jamaica when it was quite clear the man drowning himself with grief and port, had not the slightest inkling of whom Robert Darnely even was. He would not put it past Killingsworth to kill simply to spite someone who had admitted to insulting him. And yet with out instructions from Darnely and thus no one to protect him, Killingsworth would have to be playing the fool, or on to something else entirely. He quickly downed the contents of the glass he held and refilled it, making sure to refill Sabastian’s as well. What on earth could Darnely be …. He sat down hard in the chair again, a chill overtaking him. The other man looked across at him, without smirk of amusement, but sincere curiosity.

“She’s tried to leave him…. Without his consent. My God and she be not free of him,” Sterling whispered, placing his glass upon the table for fear of upsetting it.

Crewe of the Archangel

Sean Roberts crested the slight road incline with anticipating of pending evening revelry. His duties for the day were put to bed and being rid of town was a welcome thought, though he wondered if this night would prove more sedate than the norm. The Galloway man was considering the ill fate of poor Molly Shea when something caught his eye ahead. Or rather the lack of something, which caused him to check mount's progress. Squinting, he tried to decern whether his eyes played him foolish and the contrast of bright sun versus the heavy shade was of no aid. The horse was eased forward and drawn up once again. Raising a hand to shield the glare, Sean's first impression was confirmed...The gate was unattended and a deserted carriage stood near.

He directed mount into near tree cover and held position for a few minutes to survey the area. "Not'in'....Bloody hell." He said dismounting then leading four legged companion into the open. Secret greeting passed between equine brethren as Sean looked over wheeled vehicle. Carefully stepping around mobile barrier, he flushed to wall fortitude and froze once again. Something was out of sorts, the gate was never abandoned...for any reason. Peeking around stone arch support produced nothing of worth to solve anomaly; the usual view of a normal day, duties being tended to in the same clockwork motion as would be expected.

The unsetteling feeling that built in the pit of Sean's stomache churned a notch higher and he slunk past gate exposure to opposit side. Suspended above was a large brass bell, weathered pull chain dangling like ornamental tail. Sean debated momentarily then clicked his tongue softly to call mount closer, the gate pushed inward for access. A hard slap was issued to dusky hindquarter, launching equine comrade up drive as the chain was claimed. Tropical stillness was obliterated with warning peal and Sean lept to carriage seat, dissengaging brake.

The bell's announcement might have well been Gabriel's horn for the reaction it caused within the compound, and the carriage was driven hard up the wind of cleared access. Deep in folliage cover hound trio stopped investigation of insect curiosity, ears pricked and howl joined harmony with the fading of brass song.

Upstairs Sabastian stood suddenly, the question that he was about to ask forgotten. Goblet was disgarded carelessly to table surface, causing rouge river spill. He glanced to Sterling and any clouding caused by port influence dissipated with rapid retreat. He moved to open windows and scanned outside area as Chamber door opened with Aurore's return bearing Sterling's requested possessions. Sabastian looked over shoulder to the sound, "Where is Christophe, Renard?"

In the Drawing room downstairs, Christophe set Lilly down on over stuffed chase, issueing a look of silent warning. She stared daggers in his direction as exposed windows were secured as he spoke candidly, "Now madame, you put yourself at ease and I will find something to indulge your palet." He smiled ironicly, "Then we will 'ave a nice chat regarding your being so far from 'ome, non?"

The last window secured, Christophe moved to the doorway keeping Lilly in veiled observation. Reaching for fine tooled knob, his posture stiffened with clarion's call. The door was opened and he turned to her, " My most sincere apologies, Madame. It appears that your sherry will 'ave to wait."

Time had stopped for him. Killingsworth shut the door to his room quickly and drew a deep breath. He could feel his heart in his throat and head. Then for a moment, he closed his eyes, savoring the last moments of Molly’s life. The image of her drawing her last breath as she pulled at his coat fixed in his mind. When he opened his eyes he looked at himself in the looking glass. There upon his coat were the stained red hands of Molly Shea. He looked down at his hands. Those too, were drenched red and his shirt stained with her crimson liquid. Yet, the moment played back like a skip in time. It seduced him and his mind. The luxury of the moment and the freedom to indulge in his blood-sport placed him on a euphoric high. With his mind wheeling, he quickly raced to his wash basin and washed his hands and face. The image of him in his mirror made him shuttered. “Let them think the worse.” He thought. “There be many a man, woman and child that have met ill-fate here in Port Royal.” He stripped off his coat and shirt. “This town is a melting pot of thieves, harlots, cut-throats and the like. Why should the lost of one whore make anyone take notice.” Killingsworth collected his blood stained items and placed them in a pillow sack. He would burn them later tonight whilst the rest of the house slept. But for now, he took the sack and stored it high in the rafters of his room, hoping that no one would suspect him. Besides, a man of breeding and station would never commit such an awful crime murder…would he?

200px-John_Wilmot2.jpg

Allow me to be frank at the commencement; You will not like me...™

portroyalbannerfinalbig-1.gif

The bell's announcement might have well been Gabriel's horn for the reaction it caused within the compound, and the carriage was driven hard up the wind of cleared access. Deep in folliage cover hound trio stopped investigation of insect curiosity, ears pricked and howl joined harmony with the fading of brass song.

Upstairs Sabastian stood suddenly, the question that he was about to ask forgotten. Goblet was disgarded carelessly to table surface, causing rouge river spill. He glanced to Sterling and any clouding caused by port influence dissipated with rapid retreat. He moved to open windows and scanned outside area as Chamber door opened with Aurore's return bearing Sterling's requested possessions. Sabastian looked over shoulder to the sound, "Where is Christophe, Renard?"

Once again his afternoon was disturbed in a most unkind manner. Sterling tensed slightly as a bell sounded in a distance and the other man rose quickly from his seat. Distracted now, his mind quickly forgetting about Killingsworth and the threat he may be to Lilly McKinney, Sterling remained in his place hoping for an explanation. He looked to Aurore as she entered with sword and pistol and he thought to reclaim his weapons but wondered now if he would still be permitted to do so.

Crewe of the Archangel

Aurore handed weaponry over to Sterling, her eyes steady on his face as she answered query, " I am unknowing. I have not seen him for some time, though I am sure he will appear with the bell's summons."

Sabastian wheeled from outside view and left the room, turning towards the rear section of the house. When he returned, a large blunder was clasped in his grip. The weapon was inspected as instructions were issued, "Stay in the house, petit. If Christophe shows here, inform him that I will be out front getting to the bottom of what this is about."

"But, 'Bastian..."

"Non! Stay here!"

The door was slamed shut and the three became two.

"Thank ye Lady," Sterling said taking the weapons from her. He quickly moved to strap on small sword about his waist. Then the small pistol was placed upon the table within easy reach. He looked at the girl besides him, obviously concerned with the turn of events.

"What is it?" he asked. "What is happening?"

Crewe of the Archangel

Aurore moved to the bureau where crow had marched earlier, produced a key which opened locked drawer, "I am not sure, but I would say that there is an interloper about. Pray it is an accidental incident..."

An onlong wooden box was retrieved and lid opened, givimg air to matched dueling pistols and accompanying kit. With practiced percission, both were checked and primed.

"Impressive Lady," Sterling chuckled softly as he watched her prepare the guns. "Well let us hope they will none be needed. Would it be amiss for myself to go below and see what is happening?"

Crewe of the Archangel

Aurore paused in final inspection, " If that is your wish, but I would not wander from the house proper. There are those about who would not realize that you are supposed to be here."

A shadow of concern crossed her features.

Sterling could not help but smile as her expression changed. "What is it Lady?" he asked moving closer to her.

Crewe of the Archangel

She would not look to his face, nor allow him a clear view of her own as the cinnamon tress hid such with forward swing."I am just concerned for your well fare and if you insist on wandering about, please use prudent judgement."

"Would you wish me to remain indoors, like a coward, hiding behind your skirts Lady?" he asked. "When, perchance, I could be of some assistance outside with the others. I must confess I am concerned about yer brother. Methinks, his mind may not be all too focused to where it should be. We have not seen hide nor hair of your great beast, Christophe, for some time now and one can only guess as to his where abouts. "

Crewe of the Archangel

His first words stung, but the rest of his reasoning rang true. Aurore gave a minute nod of accord as her attention fixed on outside panorama, "As you wish..."

"I shall be back... I promise and in one piece," he grinned. "Afterall, how could I not wish to return to someone as fetching in blue as the Jamaican sea?" He leaned down and kissed her on the cheek. "Look to thyself and stay safe as well," he whispered and he made his way down the stairs to the front door.

Outside the cottage, he watched briefly as people scurried about in a routine fashion of taking well planned and practiced precautions. He saw Sabastian, a captain in his own right, being informed by some as others made their way into the trees and overgrowth and soon disappeared. Sterling could hear the sounds of hounds baying, the bell's peal having died to its own silence, and a carriage and horses approaching at a quick pace. He made his way over to Sabastain's side, standing none to close as to seem intrusive but close enough to provide assistance if called upon.

Crewe of the Archangel

Christophe emerged from now double bolted Drawing room and paused soft step as he saw Sterling depart through front door. Following in the Englishman's wake he remained paces behind watching the other's motives. His mind was steeled calm amongst controlled squall as he wove through the dodging of bodies in motion. Slipping up between the small distance between Sabastian and Sterling, he fixed the Englishman with a surly measuring briefly before leaning to young lordling.

Sabastian's poise was undisturbed by the news delivered, though the sound of exasperation was heard expeling from lungs. His instructions were delivered with hard tone and to the point, "Find the trespasser and have them drawn."

Christophe cast another look to Sterling then slipped into the fold and out of sight. Sabastian rubbed his temples lightly, "There are days..."

"If I ever find her, by God" Hissed Reiley, as he entered the house. "I'll shoot her my self."

After making his way through the lower quarters and the kitchen, (Mmmm, something really smelled good!). He had just crossed a large atrium, attempting to blend in with the other help, when suddenly the bells began ringing and the manor sprung to life.

"Time's up, Mistress..." thought Reiley, as he hurried down a corridor.

"You there!" Hollered another guard. "Check down that hall and make sure all the windows have been locked closed!"

"Right!" Answered Reiley, as he continued looking from door to door for the Mistress.

However, as he passed a large chamber door, he briefly heard the end of a volatile discussion.

“If my good Captain knew you were holding me against my will,” Hissed a woman’s voice. “He would have your heart cut out and then placed on a silver platter…”

Reiley knew well there was only one young lady that could muster such contempt toward a complete stranger.

As the young nobleman opened the door and raced past him, he momentarily caught a glimpse of Lilly, as she stewed on a couch.

“I just hope there’s only one” Reiley sighed, as he waited until the youngman was gone.

Then upon entering the large drawing room, Mistress McKinney immediately stood, as if she was set upon by the devil himself.

“You had better keep your hands off of me…” Hissed Lilly. “If your master finds out! Aren’t all dogs supposed to listen to their masters?!”

“Maybe all good dogs,” replied Reiley, as he locked the door and turned.” But not all good doctors!”

On my way into town, I passed Goose returning to the ship. He pulled a forelock at me, then scooted past. I ignored the idiot. When I reached the Shipp Tavern, out of curiosity, I peeked in to see what damage had been done. The place was a shambles still, but three servants were in the process of cleaning up the debris .....

I entered and approached the harried barkeep. "Can I get a meal?"

He gave me an exasperated glare, as if he had enough trouble to deal with without having to serve up food as well. "Yes, but good luck finding a table with four good legs to put your tray on."

"Send out what you've got, and I'll deal witht the table," I remarked. "And a tankard of ale to wash down whatever swill I end up with."

He bridled at that. "Par-don, my lady," he drawled, "but I don't serve no swill at the Shipp. It's good cheese, hot bread, and spicy pepper sausage you'll be getting. Will that suit?"

"Admirably," I replied. He handed me a full tankard, and I retreatd to the back of the room, righted a table and chair, and made myself comfortable.

Revised post.

Before I could settle myself in a chair, a loud screech came from the back room. A servng maid, her eyes wide a saucers, came pelting out to the common room, yelling, "Murder! Merciful God, Molly's been murdered!"

I leapt from my seat as the barkeep grabbed the ranting woman and shook her. "What? What are you taking about?"

Back there." She pointed. "The small storage room. Oh God, there's blood everywhere." At which point the woman fell to the floor in a dead faint.

"Stupid creature," The barkeep snarled as he headed for the back room. "But I'd best see what she's on about. Probably no more than Molly drinking too much, passing out and hitting her head."

I followed him through the main kitchen to a small back room. A crumpled form lay on the floor, the front of her dress soaked in blackening blood.

"What the devil!" The barkeep stooped to inspect the dead woman. When he stood, his face was purple with fury. "Knifed, by God! One of her lovers, I'll wager."

I didn't waste time speculating on who might have killed the woman. If she were like most bar maids, she probably had dozens of lovers. Any one of them could have gotten drunk and killed her.

The barkeep stormed from the room, bellowing, "Call the watch! Call the guards! Black-hearted murder has been done at the Shipp."

I deemed it time for me to escape and find another place to break my fast. I paused for a last look at the dead woman, whose frozen expression showed shock and fear. I let my gaze rake over the room. In the darkness at the bottom of the back stairs lay something white and lacy. I crossed the room and pickd up the item—a handerchief, stained with blood. On closer inspection, I saw that the fancy bit of linen had an ornate embroidered monogram in one corner. R K

I glanced up the stairs, then back at the monogram. I put the stained bit of lace in my coat pocket and slipped out the back entrance that I had so recently used the previous night.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog