Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

The crest of twilight hovered over the ocean as Lilly walked the docks in search of cover until she thought that it was safe to go back to the tavern. She tightly clutched two gold coins in her hands. It was the last of her money until she could get more from Lord Darnly. “Only two coin left.” She whispered to herself walking about in a daze. In less than six hours, she found herself hailed, prized, cheated and ostracized. Now she felt completely alone. She had confessed her soul and her sins to the man she loves and yet, he cast her away. Her heart ached to be back in London where she was in good company with the Empress and she could visit her child under the guise of a washer woman or maid. Suddenly she saw the reflection of herself in a shoppe window. She surprised herself by the image that stared back at her. The beautiful gown that belonged to the Empress was gone and she stood there in nothing more than her dirty underpinnings. It was time to get back to the inn before she was arrested or accosted. The plain pale blue Mantua which she brought with her still sat in a chest unpacked in her room. She did not care for it much; not befitting a real actress, she thought.

Like some lowly creature she kept to the back streets and alley ways until she reached the inn. There, she managed to take the side door next to the kitchen. It was there she saw the article of contempt which drove her to the docks in the first place…Symms, the Captain’s dog’s body. She hovered near the back hall as she watched him in the kitchen through a crack in the doorway. He shuffled from table to stove and back again as he managed the making of his Master’s morning meal. “I says to him I says, ‘Captain she is bane of your existence and yet you continued to let your heart rule you instead of your head.” Then she heard the voice of an old woman interject. “Have you never been in love Mr. Symms?” the woman asked. The old man stopped for a moment and nodded slowly. “Women are like the sea, Mis’ Mitchem. They are a thing of beauty which engulfs the very soul of a man, captures him and he will follow her to the ends of the earth. But if angered, she places the wrath of hell upon him!” “Come now,” the woman said with a bit of a giggle. “What you did to Mistress McKinney was unspeakable!” “Aye,” said Symms, “And I am sure to be turned out on my ear for it once the Captain finds out and if I ever see the likes of Mistress McKinney again….”

The door to the kitchen suddenly flies open. “You wretched little…unspeakable cretin!” Lilly said screaming as she ran into the kitchen grabbing a knife from the table where Symms was preparing his meal. She turns the point of the knife at his throat as she pushes him against the wall. “Fool! What do I care for your life anyway? ‘Tis a fleck, a speck upon this earth….pray so God will know your sins and you shall be ready to meet him!” And with that the blade of the knife was drawn back.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Moultrie was returning from delivering a letter to Admiral Morgan, he also procured a letter from someone of the Rakehell to give to their Captain.

Moultrie then returned to the Resurrection via the longboat.

Once aboard he handed the letter to Graves. "Waz geeven dis on de docks," the Frenchman informed the First Mate.

Graves pondered a moment as he gazed at the letter, flipping it through his fingers.

Deciding to take it to Ana.

Glancing up upon hearing a knock upon the double doors.

"Enter," that deep femme voice boomed.

Graves strode in towards her, waving the letter a little. "A letter for ya, Captain."

Glancing up at Graves with a rather unsturdy eye and extreme caution. Then turning to the letter, taking it after a few seconds.

Opening the letter to read it-

My dear Ana, what ever can you be doing in Port Royal? Due to our mutual stock in trade, I am

only too glad to see your lovely ship, and feel we should meet. It has been what, a year since

last we drank together? I confess, I am in sore need of a bit of "income" for revictualling, so

wondered if perchance we two ladies of the trade might discuss business over a few tankards.

What say you?

Ransom

On board the Rakehell

With the letter in hand, waving it a little upsidedown as she gazed forward.. then leaned back and tossed the letter upon the table.

"Unpleasant news?" Graves asked.

Staring ahead pondering...

"Not entirely sure... yet. But if 2 people can recognize me here.. then surely we are in danger." With the tip of her index finger... she lightly scratched at the corner of her mouth.

"Put the long boat back into the water. I need to to see someone."

And within the halfhour.. the longboat rowed away from the Resurrection... to come up alongside the Rakehell-

"HO! Rakehell! Permission t' come 'board!" one of those in the boat called out but not too loudly.

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

There was a knock on my cabin door.

"Enter," I said, getting to my feet.

Ioan opened the door and stuck his head in. "Someone has come along side, asking to permission to come aboard. Were you expecting visitors?"

"That was quick," I muttered, without answering his question, then headed for the deck.

When I got there, I peered over the side. It was too dark to be sure of the boat's occupant. The last thing I needed was some stranger snooping around the ship. I wanted to make sure it was Ana below in that boat, and not some spy.

If it was her below, her speedy reply could be a good sign or a bad one. She was either as worried about discovery as I was, or already had some scheme going and didn't want me meddling in it. In either case, I would have to tread carefully. Ladies of the trade we might be, but as I'm sure she has learned over time, no one can be trusted, especially those you might consider friends.

Well, I thought, I won't know 'till she comes on board—if it is her. I motioned for Ioan to have his knife ready, and he nodded, pulling it from his belt.

"Who goes?" I whispered into the darkness.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

With 2 men hanging onto the ropes of the vessel they gazed up as one turned to look at a figure that stood up.

"Your reply," as the figure stood tall in the rocking longboat. That face shadowed as was the body.

"Are you going to invite us aboard or leave us floating here?" the deep femme voice barked.

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

"Are you going to invite us aboard or leave us floating here?" the deep femme voice barked.

With a private grin, I replied, "Ah, Ana. I'd know that voice anywhere. Welcome aboard the Rakehell."

I motioned for Ioan to put away his knife, but whispered in his ear, "Keep those two men in the boat entertained until my little meeting with the Captain of the Resurrection is over."

"If you haven't noticed, we're a bit low on rum," his whispered back. "Just what am I supposed to entertain them with?"

"Water it down, man! And if you so much as breath on my last barrel of Burgundy, you better slit your own throat, before I do it for you. Understood?"

"Aye, My lady Captain."

Before the first head appeared at the rail, I gave Ioan one last order. "And keep them from wondering around below decks. We may not have much cargo left, but what we do have is our business."

With a knowing wink, he turned his attention to our guests.

I prepared to greet my visitor, letting out a soft sigh of regret over the fact that, what little rum I possessed of my private stash would no doubt be gone by evening's end. I hoped this meeting would be worth it.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Reiley remained a bit longer in Sterling’s room. As casually as possible he collected the medical paraphernalia that Hazzards had asked him to return. The old steward had continued to move about the room tending to worry over the most trivial detail until Reiley noticed his patient begin to fidget from the constant fussing.

Hoping to take Sterling’s mind off the older man, Reiley engaged him in some simple small take and then decided it best to give him a look over just to see if the previous night’s treatment was actually having any real effect. He could easily tell Sterling was not fond of the extra attention and would most likely tax himself further, he was already overflowing with frustration at not being up and about.

“Perhaps thou should see to the morning meal,” the captain nearly snapped. Symms paused in his polishing of the captain’s spectacles and, for a moment, Reiley seriously considered bleeding Sterling again, to help take off the edge.

“Perhaps…”Reiley said but Sterling’s expression, his anger evident as the good green eye seemed to flash as it focused on him, caused him to keep his tongue in check. In the next moment the captain seemed to slump in his bed, looking thoroughly defeated and knowing all too well he just needed to be patient.

“My apologies,” the captain sighed. “Join me for breakfast Dr. Reiley? Until Symms has the chance to take my black coat to the silversmith’s, I fear a meal tis all I can offer you for your services.”

“Silversmith?” Symms stammered.

“Aye. Symms you know well enough the silver narrow wares on that coat can have the backing burned off and the silver melted down and reused… should more than pay for Dr. Reiley’s time and the innkeeper,” Sterling said.

“But SIR! Ye were knighted in that very coat!” Symms now protested.

“Aye and very little good that or the coat does me now. Go on, down to the kitchen with thee and thee can see about the silversmith’s after,” the captain said.

Reiley had tried to disagree as well but once again the Captain’s expression told him he was not a man to be argued with once he had made up his mind. Still, thought the doctor, tis amazing how well he curbs his temper.

Without any support from their guest, Symms knew not to continue his line of reasoning. Maybe... after breakfast... and so he hurried his way downstairs as the Captain and Reiley began discussing the Archangel and without so much as a mention of Mr. Hazzards, the offer of a position of surgeon onboard soon turned into a discussion and, then, an agreement was settled upon. As the conversation then drifted to the Captain’s daughter back in London, both men were suddenly distracted by a loud commotion down below. As a woman’s loud cries of ‘Help!’ , ‘And Stop HER!’ and ’Murder!’ rang out below, both Doctor and patient looked to one another before Reiley was out the door and Sterling, pulling on his banyan and grabbing his sword from its scabbard, following close on his heels.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Perhaps it was the manner to which he looked directly into my eyes when he spoke, that almost stopped me in my tracks. But not out of fear necessarily, though it was obvious this man was not to be trifled with. But rather it was the simple fact, that when the captain spoke to me, it was with respect and appreciation.

“By God.” I thought. I couldn’t remember when any one of position had ever spoken to me in such a manner. But when he also offered the position of ships doctor… I didn’t know what to say

“Captain Sterling Sir.” I said, feeling a knot tighten in my stomach. “It’s obvious you’re the kind of leader that inspires those around him. Otherwise you wouldn’t have men like Mr. Hazards or the good Mr. Symms there willing to follow you to the ends of the world.”

“But the truth is Sir, I know nothing of the sea, except for the sickness to which it causes my stomach and the dangers that are fabled to exist within it. However, your offer presents an invintation to which few men have ever been allowed… A chance to start over.”

As I spoke with the captain, I was reluctant to admit that aside from tending to my own wounds, he was only one of a handful of people I had thus far successfully treated. And that most others had either died during treatment or had sustained their illness or injury.

“I will be honest sir, because having presented an offer such as you have, I believe you deserve the truth... Though I may present myself a gentleman and doctor, I have also been a thief, a beggar, an outlaw and a highwayman. Furthermore I am presently wante—.”

“Furthermore, Dr. Reiley,” The captain interrupted as if he hadn’t heard a word I had spoken. “I believe that I made you a business offer, sir. Therefore I feel it would only be proper for gentleman such as yourself should in-turn provide a response.”

Again I was speechless. Here was a man willing to look beyond my crimes and still offer me a position, to which was usually reserved for men of higher standing than myself

“Yes sir,” I said, when I was finally able to compose myself. “If it’s a cutter you need, then I’m yer man.”

“Very well then.” Replied Sterling, in a manner which implied the subject was to be put behind and forgotten.

But when a sudden commotion errupted, followed by a declaration of "Murder", I found myself darting through the door with hand on pistol.

As I reached the stairs, "By God!" I thought... For I simply could not believe what I was seeing.....

Lilly perched upon Symm’s chest as if she was a hawk waiting to attacking a hare. Symms all the while struggled to take the knife from Lilly’s grasp; still screaming like a girl for his life. “Murder!” Mistress Mitchem cowered in the corner of the room pleading for Lilly to come to her senses. “Mistress McKinney, please do not kill him. It would surely be the gallows for you if you do!” In the heat of all the commotion, the sounds of frantic footsteps charging down the stair well. The door soon flew open with Dr. Reiley standing there with pistols drawn down upon both Lilly and Symms as Captain Sterling stood behind the good doctor with his sword drawn viewing the scene in disbelief.

“Mistress McKinney!” Shouted the Captain, “Have you gone mad?! Why are you harassing my help with thoughts of murder!?” It was then the Captain lowered his sword and Dr.Reiley withdrew his pistols and assisted in disarming Mistress McKinney of the knife. She did not resist as the knife fell to the floor and the good doctor pulled her up by her arm and off of Symms. “Look at you!” The Captain said with a tone of shock and disbelief. There she stood in her underpinnings and her hair down and wild. “Where is your gown? Why do you walk about so? A woman of your caliber should show decency and moral stature. Tell me, what has happened to make you do such a thing? ” Lilly eyes narrowed and shot Symms a look of hate, but said nothing.

“’Tis my doing, Sir.” Symms muttered under his breath. “She provoked me last night and so…well, I pitched your chamber pot upon her.” A low snicker came from the doctor and the camber maid. The Captain only stood there and shook his head. “…And pray, why did you do such a foul thing, Mr. Symms?” “For you Captain!” The Captain stood amazed by the reply. “Me?” “Aye, she wouldn’t leave ya be and knowing that you are not well and she being the cause of your heartache, and you did say you did not wish to see her any more…. I did what any good man would do to rid his Master of such a she-devil as her!” The Captain could only roll his eyes and shake his head. “It is at moments such as these I wonder if any one is truly thinking of my well being?!” The Captain pulled his banyan closer. “Mr. Symms, I will dictate any future concerns about Mistress McKinney. I did state such a thing for the time being, until my health improved. My concern was not to let her see me in such a state.” He closed his eyes for a moment. Though his words rang with half truth, they still made his mouth run dry. “Mr. Symms, you have an errand to perform for me. Do so and please do not come back until it is completely.”

Dr. Reiley stood at looked at Mistress McKinney. “Perhaps I should tend to her, Captain. She has had a most disagreeable evening.” The Captain looked at Lilly for a moment. “Yes, take her upstairs to my room. I will speak with her in private after you give her something for her nerves. Mistress Mitchem, please forgive this mornings disturbances. I shall like my breakfast brought up to my room. If there are any damages due you, please let me know.”

With that, the Captain turned from the room. Lilly stood looking at the Doctor for a moment. “He must think me mad.” Dr. Reiley took a look at Lilly’s left arm and hand. “Fools only think fools mad, Mistress. The Captain is just concerned about thee.” Lilly looked up at Dr. Reiley’s face. “How is he? How is he faring this day?” The doctor could see the concern upon her face. “He is a strong hearted, strong minded man. As you can see he is up and about…but there is much to do. May I suggest that if you are concerned about the Captain’s well being, do think twice about drawing down on someone with a knife…unless it is upon the stage, Mistress.” The doctor gave her a wink.

Member of "The Forsaken"

As I covered Mistress McKinney with my pilfered coat, I offered a simple muse in an attempted to quell the lady’s anger, so viciously directed at the unfortunate Mr. Symms.

“Something tells me ‘Doctor’ Reiley, that you are far from unfamiliar with such incidents.” The Mistress huffed, as she accepted my coat. “But I thank you just the same.” She added, as she allowed a slight grin of satisfaction to escape.

However leading her to the captain’s room, I immediately noticed she was favoring her right wrist. An injury caused from her tussle with Mr. Symms no doubt.

Upon entering the captain’s chamber, I immediately served Mistress McKinney a small drink to which I quickly tailored for just such an occasion.

“Drink slow m-lady,” I cautioned, as she surprisingly accepted my offer. “And if you will allow me Miss, I would have a look at yer wrist… To make sure you’re not injured, that is.” I quickly added, as she suddenly shot a look of suspicion in my direction. However, regardless of her initial thoughts, the young lady eventually agreed, as she placed her glass on the table next to her.

Lilly let the doctor tend to her injured wrist, all the while glancing back at the Captain as he took his breakfast meal in silence. It was then Mistress Lilly turned to the Captain and looked at him with a steady gaze. "Come now...you wish to speak your mind to me...I can tell."

He looked down at the food he was currently pushing around his plate. "Can ye now?" he muttered.

"Yes I can," she said..."You are clenching your jaw! I perfer it when you do that when you are about to..."

"ENOUGH!" Sterling shouted at her.

"There," Lilly said, her tone brave although she honestly did not feel so. How easy it was to perform for him, she thought. He was too honest to tell the difference most of the time. She continued. "I rather you commence with the shouting and get it overwith. I have had a dreadful night and wish it to be completely over with. This includes my verbal bashing from you!"

The Captain wiped his mouth and placed the napkin down upon his lap. "Doctor, if you are finished tending to Mistress McKinney, I would like a word alone...if I may? Mayhaps you would be so kind as to take that black coat down to Mr. Symms and see him on his way. Go easy on the old sod, as he means well in his twisted sort of way. And please ask him to run ye by the inn where March and Hazzards be staying. After you've returned Dr. Easterly's equipment of course. I think Owen would press charges if he were to find his things missing." The good green eye focused on Reiley. "Aye, I know the Owen Easterly well enough. Tended to my mother when she passed. I also know well enough he is not of the character to have the patience to deal with assistants."

For a moment, Reiley paled, but Sterling carried on, lowering his voice a bit. "Ye saved my life sir, I would be amiss ifin I did not return ye the same opportunity. Lay low for a few days if ye can and see to obtaining yer own medical supplies. The 'Angel will cover yer costs. Mr. Hazzards shall make the rounds with ye and watch yer back especially since ye have now been under the employ of the Archangel for nigh on three months. A case of mistaken identity I would think...there are papers currently with Mr. March. See that he installs ye in our lists and back date the day of hire."

For a moment, the wind knocked from his lungs, Reiley could only nod his head. When he felt able to speak, the Captain had already returned to his meal and he could tell the words that had just passed would suddenly be "forgotten" if he ever brought them back to mind again.

The good doctor looked back at Mistress Lilly and whispered, "Don't fret him, Mistress. He is only looking out for your well being. Surely, it would not be in your best interest to listen to him." She forced a smile upon her lips as the good doctor bowed, gathered up the Captain's good dress coat and left the room.

Member of "The Forsaken"

As the door closed, Sterling sighed, and pushed the meal from him, half eaten. “So, Mistress, surely thee are hungry? And since I have had to send Dr. Reiley from us for the moment, mayhaps thee would be wanting his portion ?”

Lilly turned towards the Captain. Yes she was hungry and yet she wanted to get the bitter words over between them…"I am sure that my behavior comes to you as a surprise, Captain," she began.

It was then the Captain let out another sigh. "After thy most recent confession, no, I highly doubt that thee will ever surprise me again but, I think some hot water and soap is more of a priority where thee be concerned.”

The actress stamped her foot hard against the floor!

“Oh for goodness sake, John, stop speaking down to me!” she hissed at him. She could see him bristle, his jaw tightening once again. She waited for him to erupt but he only moved back to his bed from the table.

“Bloody hell, Mistress, but thee does stink! Ask Mistress Mitchem to fetch and carry for thee," Sterling finally continued. "Also, have her send someone to collect thy things from the Three Crownes and settle with them. Thou will be staying here, with me, now," he paused for a moment, his fingers resting on the lip of his tea cup he had carried over with him. "And Lilly, if thee tries to leave this inn of thy own accord, without my permission, so help me, by God I shall run thee through by mine own hand and I shall not use the small sword!"

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Lilly looked up at the Captain. Even in his exhausted state he could still manage to look fearsome and hold himself with much dignity. Even after his threat, Mistress Lilly could still feel her heart flutter quickly within her breast. Though, she did not know if she was alarmed by his threat or felt herself stir with deep emotion for his concern for her. She knew that he still cared for her and yet, she could not let herself care as deeply for him…not just yet. With tearful eyes, Mistress Lilly looked up at the Captain.

“As you wish, Captain, I shall tend to my being and send for my things from the Three Crowns, but am I to become your prisoner here in Port Royal?” The words hung there just as thick as the morning heat. The saw his body stiffen once again. Her words were strong and to the point. “No, you are not my prisoner, Mistress. How could I ever capture you?”

It was then she could hear the tone of melancholy in his words. “John?” She whispered softly to him. “If thee must know, I would recover at a quicker pace knowing that ye were here with me and well taken care of.” She felt herself smile for a moment. “But you can hardly take care of yourself, Captain.” He nodded in agreement. “Yes, that is why I sent Symms to the blacksmith shoppe to tend to my coat.” “Silversmith, Captain?” She asked. “Yes, I plan to have them to take the silver from it so I can pay off my expenses until the Archangel is ready to set sail again.” Lilly’s eyes widen. “But that was the coat you were knighted in…” “Yes, I know.” He said with a smile. Lilly felt the air grow still around her. She fished the two gold coins from her pocket. “I cannot think of staying with you without paying for my keep.” And with that she placed her two last coins on the table. The Captain looked up at her with some surprise. “I shall be back from my bath within an hour Captain. I shall see to the Mistress Mitchem take care of my arrangements to my lodgings.” With that she curtsied low and left the room.

Member of "The Forsaken"

"A room of anger, spite and malice... And I'm damn lucky to be out of there." I thought, as I made my way to return the pilfered medicines and instruments. "But just the same a decent man and a lovely lady."

I returned the jacket to Mr. Symms as instructed. However, watching as he examined the buttons on the captain's jacket I couldn't help but feel sympathetic for his current plyte and the difficulty of melting down such important pieces.

"You know you can't Mr. Symms, as do I." I grinned, as brushed by. "Perhaps if you were to manage to delay said payment, a means will present itself."

"A rich man are you then?" grinned Symms, implying my current poverty.

"Not necessarily, Mr. Symms. But as they say, fortune favors the foolish!" I sung, as I trotted to the home of Dr. Easterly.

However, as I returned to the home of Dr. Easterly, I found a bullet riddled front door and a very upset fellow sitting on the door step.

"Dr. Easterly, I persume?" I sheepishly asked, already knowing the answer.

"Look what they did to my house!" Easterly whimpered between heavy sobs. "Why would they do such a thing?"

It was obvious this wasn't going to be easy, but with the opportunity to lead an honest life, it would take just a moment of.....

"Well sir, I'm told they caught the ruffians who caused this disaster. And if it's any consolation sir, I believe these articles belong to you."

Looking up from his tear-soaked hankerchief, Easterly noticed the medical case and supplies of which I had stolen the night before.

"My instruments!" He bellowed, "My God, youngman! How did you find them?"

"Well sir" I replied, clearing my throat. "It really is something of a long story."

"No matter, my boy!" He interrupted. "But where are my manners? Come in! Come in!"

Inside the house, Easterly went about pouring two glasses of the fine Brandy which I had almost finished the night before.

"So tell me Mr??"

"Reiley." I answered, as I greedily accepted the drink.

"Actually that would be... Doctor Reiley" I quickly added.

"How did you ever know where to find me?" Easterly questioned.

"Better think fast little rabbit!" I thought, as a watched Easterly draw a puzzled look across his face. "Remember your a gentleman now, God forbid!"

"Well sir, on the evening last, I was set upon by a roving band of hooligans. However, luckily I was saved by a good samaritain, who thankfully drove off the ruffians. (Then noticing easterly was engrossed in the story) But not before availing them to a sound thrashing!"

"Oh, jolly good, young man!" Spouted Easterly, pounding his hand on the table. "For as you sow."

"So shall you reap!" I replied with a nod, allowing myself to be lead to the pulpit.

"However, after the scoundrels were routed, I noticed a package and also a fine display case, with two wonderful dueling pistols inside.... Well, after closer inspection, I surmised from the inscription that the proper owner could only be you sir. And therefore I felt it only honorable that I should return this property to the rightful owner."

"Now sir," I paused for a moment, in an effort to show sadness and regret. "There is also a more embarrising element to this story.... You see sir, prior to the assistance rendered by the good samaritain, various articles of my clothing was also made off with. And though I am quite embarrassed to admit this, among the pilfered items were several articles of clothing which also belonged to you. Which is the reason sir, I must confess, that I am wearing.... Ahm(I stalled. Clearing my throat)..... pieces from your wardrobe...."

After taking a long hard look at me, I was sure the doctor would surely call for the local magistrate.

"By God Son!", Easterly boomed. "Don't you dare insult me with such a confession!"

"For what you've done lad, Easterly added. "Requires no such embarrasment! Furthermore I insist you keep those articles and any other that would suit you. "

I couldn't believe my ears...

"But now sir, I believe you deserve another drink!" He added as he patted me on the shoulder.

"Please no, sir." I half-heartedly protested, still hoping to make a timely escape.

"But I insist my friend!" Easterly protested."After all, honesty like yours is far from common in this world."

"I couldn't agree with you more.." I grinned, as I again accepted the glass of brandy.

"SO tell young doctor," Easterly demanded. "Where is it that you take residence, here in Port Royal?"

"Er, ahm, I beg your pardon" I said, after almost shooting brandy from my nose and ears. "At the moment, I havn't fully established a place of residence. Having only arrived a short time ago. I have however been offered a room at the Boar's Head, having just been offered an appointment as ship's surgen aboard the Archangel."

"Sterling's ship?!" Again the doctor boomed. "By God son, I knew you were a man of vision, the moment I laid eyes on you!

"you don't say?" I replied remembering the image of easterly sobbing uncontrollably on his doorstep, surrounded by by a bullet-riddled doorway.

"But why stay in such a place, when you can stay here!"

"No sir, I really must insist..."I protested. Again almost expelling the brandy from my nose and ears.

"Non-sense!" Easterly demanded. "It would be such a relief to have another practitioner of medicine under the same roof! Please say you'll agree....!?"

"I would be delighted" I smiled, realizing I had no other choice.

"Very well then... Here's to you Doctor Reiley!" Toasted Easterly.

"And to you sir..." I added. "For your endless generosity..."

The morning came all too soon. The tepid heat of the evening made sleep difficult at best. My upbringing in the cold of Wales never taught me to enjoy the heat here, especially at this time of year. The lack of wind across Port Royal made this a particularly unpleasant month.

I rose from my bed and looked out the window at the slowly rising sun. I called for my manservant to bring me some tea and my day clothes. I also asked for the note that had been left on the table the night before.

As I waited for the tea, I opened the note and read:

To Sir Admiral Morgan

I plead to thee, good Sir for your influence in apprehending a threat. A man who followed my dear Sister about Port Royal in unexplained reasons and whom I dare say could very well possibly be a Spaniard spy.

My sister and I request your intervention to apprehend and locate this man. Beware, he no doubt will attempt to lie to save his neck which deserves to be stretched for his possible plans of dishonoring my dear Sister.

Again, I beg and plead for your assistance, Sir Admiral. We lay anchored in harbour aboard the good ship RESURRECTION and are able to make haste to meet you by dawns light if required.

Your Obediant Servant,

Wm Graves

Interesting. Hardly the common request I receive day in and day out. I should attend to this once I get a chance. I made a note to speak with Major Beckwith about this and readied myself for the day's events.

I called to my assistant to review my schedule.

Two slaves are sentenced to be hung at 10, sir. Lord Modyford requests your presence there.

And then you are to meet with Major Beckwith again on the noon, along with his lordship. Seems there are some matters to attend to in regards to completing the fort. It seems the plantation owners are up in arms once again about your declaring martial law to get enough slaves sent down to do the necessary work.

Perhaps we should stop hanging so many able bodied workers, eh Mr. Blanchard?

Send word to Mister Graves aboard the Resurrection that I shall want to meet with him around 3 today. He may call upon me at my home.

I finished dressing and glanced in the mirror that dear Elizabeth had sent for in England as an anniversary present. It was a fine French make and I was pleased to see that I looked splendid on this day.

I called for my coach and waited impatiently by the door as it drew to the front of my home. The footman opened the door and I bounded in.

To The Sugar Loaf... I have a hunger that matches my thirst from the evening before.

As the horses galloped off down High Street, I had what I would find to be one of the few moments to myself on this day.

"Land only holds promise if men at sea have the courage to fight for it."

- Sir Henry

She fished the two gold coins from her pocket.  “I cannot think of staying with you without paying for my keep.”  And with that she placed her two last coins on the table.  The Captain looked up at her with some surprise.  “I shall be back from my bath within an hour Captain.  I shall see to the Mistress Mitchem take care of my arrangements to my lodgings.”  With that she curtsied low and left the room.

"Now see here!" he called after her. Had he not just explained that she was to stay put unless he allowed her to circulate? He thought back quickly at what he had said. Yes, her being safe right under his nose, would be one less thing to vex him currently. But truely? Yes he had every intentions of keeping her with him, a prisoner if need be, until at least he found out the where abouts of the child...his son... just as much his child as hers. My word, he could not have her walking about the streets of Port Royal on her own as she attempted last night. Such a hellhole was no place for a woman of Lilly's standing. What if something happened to her? He would never find his son then.. As it was, he wondered what had become of the dress she had stolen from the Empress. "A fool she thinks me," Sterling muttered to himself. "Does this actress not think me wise enough to know Habibi's best garments?"

He flung back the bed linens and made his way to the door. Pulling it open sharply he saw her still at the very bottom step.

"Damn it woman! Did I not just tell thee to ask my leave?"

"You said," she replied, shooting him a look. "Not to leave the tavern! You said to clean myself up! You said to have my things moved here. I am seeing to all this!"

"Well hurry with thy self and tell Mistress Mitchem, thee will take thy bath up here! I expect thee back in less than a quarter of the hour. Do I make myself clear to thee now?"

Crewe of the Archangel

It was early when Skittles woke her husband.

“A few minutes longer,” he said with a growl and rolled over on his side.

“But today you go to see Sir Henry, ja?” she asked. Andrew cracked open an eye and watched his wife as she once more brushed off all the imaginary dirt from his best suit.

“Ja,” Andrew replied with a grin, than sat up. With a deep yawn and a good stretch he roused himself until he was ready to set forth from the comfort of his bed.

“Shall we dress then and be off to find a bit of food to break the morning fast?” he said, coming up behind his wife and giving her a kiss upon the cheek.

But Skittles was already dressed, in her best Bunad, except for the elaborate head piece.

“Ja Master March. Tis best to see to your strength this day,” she giggled. “As a long wait, perhaps you vill have. But tis best ve not tarry then. Your clothes are ready for you and the letter from the Captain is in your vallet.”

Dressed and making their way out to the street, the couple walked arm in arm through out the streets. Already Port Royal was well into its business for the day. Nervously March kept patting the wallet in his pocket. It would not do for a thief to lighten his load now.

"It will be all right," Skittles would whisper every time she noticed.

"It is just a letter of introduction. Surely if all this talk be true, Sir Henry vill see you even without it? Ja?"

"Still....the captain is depending on me," March replied. He suddenly halted in his track, nearly jerking his poor wife off her feet. "Well I'll be..." Skittles silenced him with a look. She had agreed to his use of certain language on board ship, but in public...

Andrew nodded his head in the direction of the carriage that had just come to a stop outside the Sugar Loaf. "Tis Sir Henry himself!"

"Surely Master March, we should not be disturbing him during his breakfast!"

"Aye ye be right, but we shan't be disturbing him... just enough of his time to deliver the captain's letter and arrange a meeting with him. Come along Mistress March," Andrew said, already the wallet out and in his hand, and he gently tugged her along in the direction of the fine gentleman disembarking from the splendid coach.

"Ahoy! Sir Henry Morgan. I be beggin a moment of yer time sir!" March called out to him.

"Which is where the saying, "Bleed-em before breakfast" comes from!!" Bellowed Easterly, as he finally finished his story, then laughed like a maniac at his own joke.

"I could always take one of those pistols in hand and end this... " I thought, as I laughed watching the good Doctor Easterly down the remnants of his fifth brandy.

Then suddenly emmitting a loud belch that resounded through out the house. "I believe it's time for breakfast!" Easterly slurred. "What say you Doctor Reiley?!"

"I say, I couldn't agree more... Doctor Easterly!" I replied with a forced and very painful smile.

Easterly had been talking for over three hours in regard to humorous diseases, injuries and sites he had witnessed while practicing medicine in Port Royal. And though I would be a fool not to learn from his advice and tutoral, I couldn't help but look forward to ANY moment of silence during which the meal could offer.

Two slaves from the inn dragged a cooper’s half barrel up the back stairs to Captain Sterling’s room. As the two men placed it in the middle of the room another slave-maid took to filling it with hot water. Bucket after bucket, they were quick and dutiful in finishing their jobs, and then left quickly after the tub was filled.

It was then Mistress Mitchem’s voice could be heard in the hallway, perhaps instructing her man-servant from the Three Crowns to deliver Lilly's trunk to the Captain’s room. “There… this room here.” She said pointing to the door on the left. It was then the door swung open as two men lifted it into the room. “Oh good…I see that my trunk is finally here!” Lilly said as she finished her last mouthful of food. The Captain mean while took to reading and finishing his meal. As the men placed the trunk down against the far wall, Lilly ran to it. Both Mistress Mitchem curtsied and the two men bowed as they exited the room. Lilly quickly slipped off her right shoe and shook it. The key to the chest dropped to the floor.

“Oh, good day trunk…did thee miss me?” She said chatting to herself in conversation until she opened it. The Captain just rolled his eyes and continued to read. As she pulled several items from the chest, the Captain stopped to look at what a mess she was making of the room.

“I have great plans for myself here in Port Royal, Captain.” She said looking back at him holding up a clean shift and a pair of silk stockings. “I wish to open up a theater!”

The Captain pulled his book from his good eye. “Port Royal has a theater Mistress and it has been open for at least five years past.”

She looked at him with surprise. “Well then, I shall have to see about performing on its’ stage, won’t I? Or better yet, perhaps they could do with some proper competition!”

With that she tossed off her other shoe then sat at the table to take off her silk stockings. “I have been longing to get back to performing. Ye know I am only truly happy when I am performing!”

“In or out of bed?” The Captain muttered to himself.

“Sorry?”Lilly said as she looked over her shoulder unlacing her stays. “Pray, Captain. I wish to make enough money so I can send for the baby boy and never have to worry about being poor or …” She didn’t realize what she was saying until it was too late.

“Oh Dear One.” She whispered, now standing completely naked in front of her paramour. “I did not mean to say such things to hurt you or even imply that you…” The Captain just sat on the edge of the bed and raised his right hand. The room grew silent. She stepped lightly into the cooper’s barrel and gathered up the soap and muslin rag.

“I never intended that you would feel the need to repay me Lilly.” The Captain said lightly. "I had only wished that... that you could feel for me the way that I feel for ye. Tis why I have pressed my suit on ye as I have. Surely marriage to me would be better than having to find coin out on the streets in the off season?"

Member of "The Forsaken"

"I have simply had enough!" I yelled like a man possessed, as I pulled the spoon from my plate.

Then with one quick push of the table, I landed my left knee on the lap of Doctor Easterly, and secured the back of his head with my left hand and forearm.

Then with one quick thrust, I drove the spoon deep into the doctor's adam's apple. Causing him to gasp and.......

"...which is what finally brought me to Port Royal." Finished Easterly as I suddenly snapped out of the pleasant daydream, which made his story almost tollerable.

And though a very likeable man, and very grateful was I for his unexpected generosity, the simple fact was that the good Doctor Easterly was about to drive me to chewing my own leg off. Therby freeing myself from the trap that I suddenly found myself in.

"Pergatory." I told myself. "Every sinner must pay..."

But as I blindly stared out the window, my attention was locked upon the fine carriage that had stopped across the square, at the establishment know as the Sugar Loaf.

The gentleman who stepped out had to be someone of position, judging from the craftmanship of the coach. Not to mention the very well-armed guards that accompanied the gentleman.

But as I watched the gentleman speak with a pair of more common folk, I couldn't help but notice, how many of the average detizens of the area were quickly beginning to clear the street.

But more interesting was the trio of men, who cautiously took to an alleyway near the carriage.

"Coincidence?" I wondered, as I patted my mouth with my napkin.

"I tell you Reiley, she was the kind of girl that would cause desperate men to fight and jealous women to swear!!!" Spouted Easterly, completely oblivious to the peculiar events which were about to unfold.

Thats when I noticed a murder of crows suddenly break into flight from the building top of which I had seen the men dissappear.

As Easterly rambled on, I stood and walked to the door.

Still unnoticed by the good doctor who was so deliberately sawing into his breakfast and speaking of some harlot he professed to frequent, I cautiously walked onto the sidewalk for a better look.

"Something tells me a man is about to die..." I thought as I watched another merchant peer outside then cautiously close his door.

Surely marriage to me would be better than having to find coin out on the streets in the off season?"

"Oh my word," Sterling thought angrily to himself. "Surely not again?" Thank God he had caught himself before he made himself a fool in the topic of marriage yet again.

He sighed softly to himself. "Enough said," he remarked loud enough for her to hear.

He opened up the book he was reading once more but he found himself swallowing hard as he tried not to stare at the actress as she made herself as comfortably as she could in her bath.

He had lost count as to how many times he had re read the same paragraph before he slammed the book shut and tossed it on the table. He missed and the leather bound volume fell to the floor with a thud.

Lilly looked up toward him. "What is it Johnny?" she asked. "Are you ready now to scold me for Symms' little exploit last evening?"

"Should I?" Sterling asked. "I know Symms can be just as brutal as ye, at times."

She watched him as he buried his face in his hands for a moment than ran his fingers through his hair. She had never seen him look so lost.

This was a mistake, he told himself as she continued to splash about in the soapy water. "Mayhaps I should scold myself," he muttered loud enough for her to hear. "After all twas I who said for him to keep ye from me."

"And why was that?" Lilly asked as she poured water through her hair to rinse it.

He forced himself to look away as she gathered her long red hair and twisted it to ring the excess water from it.

"I fear I was not in my right mind last night." He felt his features tighten into a frown... he hated blaming things on his current illness. Surely it was a poor excuse at best. He stood then and looked down at her as she played with the soap, her own little ship in a vast ocean surrounded by wood. She smiled up at him, slyly as she caught him staring down ... no longer looking at the soap. He turned then and climbed back into his bed and drew the curtains closed.

"Is my verbal lashing finished then?" she asked. She could just picture him jerking the pillow up over his head.

Crewe of the Archangel

After her bath, Lilly decided that a nap was in order. She had been up all night and finally the lack of sleep was catching up with her. But sleep, even though she needed it, did not come easily to her. After only a few hours, Lilly awoke with a start. She quickly looked down at the sleeping Captain then let out a soft sigh. She knew that she had another bad dream, yet the feeling of dread still remained with her.

She slowly crawled out of bed not to wake her sleeping Captain and went to her trunk. Kneeling next to the trunk she took out the key which she kept in a well safe well-hidden place from prying eyes, she opened the trunk. As she tossed aside her linens and such, down at the bottom of the trunk she pushed back a loose board revealing a small wooden box. She cradled it close to her as she opened it. There inside the box wrapped neatly in a piece of white linen was a lock of blonde hair from her little boy. She stroked it ever so lightly with her finger as she began to cry. She cherished it with all her heart for it was the only thing of his she brought with her to Port Royal. “I must do something…anything to bring you to me safely.” She said to herself in a low whisper. “I love you so much.” And with that she began to pray.

Member of "The Forsaken"

In the heat of the sunny after noon, a well dress man held a perfumed handkerchief to his nose as he exited his ship and waited on the docks of Port Royal.

“The smell is worse than London in summer.” He thought to himself.

He looked over to see his trunks being unloaded by two large men from the Ship. “Here be your cargo, Sir. Would you be needing it delivered anywhere close?”

Said the deckhand in charge of the unloading. “Do thee know of a place? S—s-ss-s-omething that would ss-sss-s—suit a man of my sss-ss-tantion?”

The deckhand gave the well dress man a queer look. It was obvious that he had a stutter.

“Aye, Sir. I knows of ‘The Shipp’ it is just up the way. I shall have my men send it there along with thy name to secure lodgings.”

The well dressed man pressed the perfumed handkerchief into his nose again. “Tell the landlord that Master Reginald Killingsworth will need a large room for at least one month’s time. I am sure he shall ask to secure payment for ss--ssuch a length of time. This I shall sss-ssettle this with him upon my arrival, but first, can thee direct me to the theater? I would like to sss-ss-peak to the Sss-s-ssstage Manager about his latest venture.”

200px-John_Wilmot2.jpg

Allow me to be frank at the commencement; You will not like me...™

portroyalbannerfinalbig-1.gif

Having sent his sharpshooter to the rooftop with a nicely paid bounty well in advance, it was only a matter time before Pike Larson had fulfilled his business arrangement.

Watching Sir Henry from the slightly cracked window, he would wait until the guardsman on the coach was disposed of, then he and Richardson would finish the other guard and ultimately tend to Sir Henry himself.

Just as soon as the two commoners vacated the scene, the trap would be sprung.

"I should have kept those damn pistols.." I cursed as I made my way slowly and cautiously across the roof tops.

I kept my eyes on the assassin as he went about clumsily loading his rifle, then priming the pan.

"You don't even have the decentcy to look a man in the face when you kill em..." I thought as I peered around the chimney only a short distance away.

But as the assassin, turned and made ready his musket, I darted from my hiding spot and drove a well-clenched fist into his brow.

As the would be assassin, collapsed and dropped his musket to the ground. "Thank God!" I thought, glad that the musket hadn't gone off.

But then as I rolled the scab over, I discovered a heafty coinpurse hidden on his person.

"You won't be needing this my friend." I grinned, as I quickly pocketed my find. "But just incase your friends come looking for you..."