Port Royal, Jamaica

sirhenrymorgan

Although angry at the intrusion, I couldn't help but admire this man's honesty and fighting spirit. I do believe he would have been some good sport, if we had taken to oaths and swords. But he would be much more use to me alive than dead.

Good sir, I appreciate your honest and fight, I said. Major, see he gets what he needs from the King's Warehouse as well. Looks like he could use a little spiffing up...

The captains chuckled.

I bid my fond adieus to my friends and strolled out into the somewhat cooling air. A breeze had stirred up from the ocean and the temperature had went from sweltering to tepid. I made my way back to my quarters near the King's House. As I walked by the place, I couldn't help but amuse myself at its downtrodden look. Not a single governor had taken a liking to the place, which was cursed with poor ventilation and dim lighting. Now it was only used for formal dinners, though I couldn't help but wonder what visiting dignitaries thought of its faded curtains, dust and cracking walls.

My home lie just beyond it, on High Street. I stepped in. My manservant met me and took my hat and helped me doff my shoes. He handed me a pipe and I strode into the main living space and took a seat.

I pondered the events of the evening. I wondered how Captain Sterling was doing and pondered the voyage to come. Portobello was indeed a huge gamble. Well fortified with three forts guarding the harbor. Sir Francis Drake himself couldn't take it with a huge fleet. All I had was a ragtag fleet of ships and canoes. And the French. After I had to hang one of my own to satisfy their need for justice, how could they be trusted to have the guts to attack the most well protected city in the Americas.

It was indeed bold. Thankfully, the last raid left the lads with about 10 pounds of coin to spend. Hardly enough to retire on. Most of them had spent it the night they arrived back at port. I hoped the thought of new wealth would blind them to the risk they would run, trying to take Portobello.

My manservant entered the room.

"Sir, there is someone to see you. He says it's urgent."

Send him in I said.

I wondered who it was. Since I was never sure who was a friend or foe in these waters, I took the liberty of cocking my pistol and placing it in my lap, tucked under a small blanket. My finger rested on the trigger.

Oh, it's you, I said, as the figure walked in, dimly lit by the hurricane lamps on the wall and table. I'm not too surprised.

"Land only holds promise if men at sea have the courage to fight for it."

- Sir Henry

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He looked up and felt himself grow suddenly tense, his heart pounding in his chest. "You? But how...."

She again soothed his brow with a cool wet linen. "I arrived just two days ago. I thought it best to leave London and perhaps find my fortune here in Port Royal. It has been a long voyage, but I have found lodgings at the Three Crowns and soon will speak with the local magistrate about opening up a theater here for those longing for a good thespian to entertain them all."

The Captain's eyes closed for a moment, then opened slowly as if he once again tried to forcus on the figure in front of him. The silence from him made Lilly bristle. "Do not think that me coming here to aid you in your time of need has made me change my mind, Captain." She whispered. Suddenly his face fell. As if she had struck him straight across the face. "It is just by chance I was in the Pub when you took leave of your senses. I was the only one brave enough to assist you." The Captain quickly grabbed her hand as she tried to take the linen from his forehead. "Then...you feel nothing for me, Mistress?" She froze for a moment.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Squire Robert Darnly

White Hall

London England

Squire Darnly,

I would truly understand that upon the arrival of this letter, you would dissolve our relationship. Knowing that I left London without forwarding you a letter of my true intensions, I fear that I took quickly to following my heart and disregarded the proper etiquette of notifying you of my leave. But here is your letter in hand and I pray that you will take kindly to my requests.

I have arrived in Port Royal less than two days past. I have aquired lodgings and soon will proceed in obtaining a meeting with the local Magistrate about a theater here. There is much money to be made here and there are many who have a pocket full of coin! Whence I left London's stage, I was presented a manuscript of a new play based upon the Turkish/Moorish Prince and his lost love. They will adore the chance to see such a spectacle! The Port swarms with English and Spanish alike. It will entertain them both and I will claim the lead in this production.

Pray, now my request. If you would be so kind to forward my montly allowence for the next four months, I promise you that I will give you 2/3 the reciepts from the play. I will keep you informed of the progress. If you could please send the monies in care of the Three Crowns where I will be staying, I will be most greatful.

Your endearing passion

Lilly McKinney

Do send word to the Empress that I have arrived safetly.

Member of "The Forsaken"

"Good sir, I appreciate your honest and fight," I said. "Major, see he gets what he needs from the King's Warehouse as well. Looks like he could use a little spiffing up..."

"Of course, sir..." Beckwith replied. There were ample stores at Fort Charles, more than would be needed, even if the Spanish WERE to attack.

Morgan stood, bid his company a good evening, and made his exit. Beckwith turned to the man standing next to him, the same man who had made a fool of himself tripping in front of Morgan. "Come to Fort Charles tomorrow morning, before eight bells. You have the look of the sea about you, so I know you comprehend my meaning. I will outfit you with what weapons and supplies you find yourself needing. And, do take a bath, good fellow. I shan't care to meet with you in the company of His Majesty's men with you looking like the floor of a tavern, which, incidentally, you currently do. I wish you joy of your evening, sir."

Beckwith nodded to lovely Colleen, back behind the bar, and made his exit. He headed over to High Street, avoiding the dock workers, vagrants, and a few drunken sailors, singing bawdy sea-songs at loud volume.

He approached a certain house, and knocked quietly. The home's servant answered, and inquired to his business at this late hour. "I have urgent need to speak with the Admiral, my good man. Please tell him Major Beckwith calls on him."

He was led into the parlour, as the man-servant walked down a hallway, and into the shadows. He returned a few moments later. "The Admiral will see you. Please follow me, sir."

Beckwith entered the main living space, where he saw Morgan sitting near a table topped by a lit candle. One hand held a pipe, the other rested beneath a lap blanket draped over his knee.

"Oh, it's you," Morgan said. "I'm not too surprised."

"Aye, sir. I must apologize for calling on you at such an hour, but I think you will understand." Beckwith pulled a sealed letter from inside his coat, and handed it to Morgan.

"Correspondence, from my father. I am not privy to its exact contents, but it is my understanding that it contains vital information concerning movements of Spanish troops throughout the Caribbean Sea. My father's business ensures his employees hear and see a great deal more than the common man might think."

Morgan nodded, as if he had been expecting this secret dispatch. Beckwith watched as Admiral Henry Morgan broke the wax seal, pulled a packet of papers from the envelope, and began reading...

I stand at the bow of the Rakehell, resting my elbows on the rail. The air is sultry, and carries the scents of civilization—roasting meats, ripe vegetation, rank streets, and animal and human excrement. Even in the midnight darkness it tells me that Port Royal is close, a point off the larboard bow and maybe two leagues out. I wrinkle my nose in distaste at the prospect of a week or more stay in that place, wondering if anyone will recognize me or my ship.

Unfortunately, it is a risk I must take, as provisions are too low to sail further. Goose, my piss-pot excuse for a cook, has been sniveling for days over the lack of provender. It's all wind. He was not named Goose because he knows how to cook one, but because he's as stupid as one.

I turn my head as I sense Ioan come up behind me. "Yes."

Without asking permission, he joins me at the rail. "All's ready to make port, My Lady Captain."

Since coming on board at Charles Town, he has called me "My Lady Captain". I am still not sure if he means it out of respect, or is politely teasing me. I hope the former, as I'll have none of the latter.

"Very well. Are you familier with this town, Ioan?"

He hesitates, then says, "A bit, but that was three years ago."

"What know you of it?"

He grins, his teeth white in the moonlight. "That every kind of vice is available to those as can pay for it. That, if he's not careful, a man is likely to come away with the pox, an empty purse, and a few new scars."

I cock an eye. "And a woman?"

That makes him smile. "Ah, I'd be havin' no experience of that, so I dare not say."

"Naturally, " I reply and turn my gaze bck into the darkness, wondering what awaits us in this town, of which I have heard so much and know so little.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

He looked up and felt himself grow suddenly tense, his heart pounding in his chest.  "You?  But how...."

She again soothed his brow with a cool wet linen. "I arrived just two days ago. I thought it best to leave London and perhaps find my fortune here in Port Royal. It has been a long voyage, but I have found lodgings at the Three Crowns and soon will speak with the local magistrate about opening up a theater here for those longing for a good thespian to entertain them all."

The Captain's eyes closed for a moment, then opened slowly as if he once again tried to forcus on the figure in front of him. The silence from him made Lilly bristle. "Do not think that me coming here to aid you in your time of need has made me change my mind, Captain." She whispered. Suddenly his face fell. As if she had struck him straight across the face. "It is just by chance I was in the Pub when you took leave of your senses. I was the only one brave enough to assist you." The Captain quickly grabbed her hand as she tried to take the linen from his forehead. "Then...you feel nothing for me, Mistress?" She froze for a moment.

He let go her hand and pressed the heels of his palms against his eyes. "Beggin yer pardon Mistress. Tis the sickness speaking. My head is not yet clear, I think."

Inwardly he cursed himself, for such a ridiculous outburst. Had she not already refused him twice? She had always been kind in her let down. Surely he could be just as polite and thank her for her compassion and consideration for taking the chance to see to his well being, regardless of her true feelings.

"Would you be so kind as to ask Master March to come see me? I have some business that he must see to regarding letters of Marque from the Govenor. I take it... " he grimaced at the absurdity of his statement but proceeded with it any way. "I take it that the Archangel has not made her way to the shipyards after all?"

"She has indeed Captain. As a matter of fact, Master March is out looking for lodgings for you. With out the need of a quarantine, you are to be moved somewhere comfortable to recover while the ship is tended to."

For a moment he brightened. He had not caused any major delays. There was still the chance to take up Sir Henry's offer....

"Perchance I may trouble you a while longer, Mistress. Would you be so kind as to write a letter or two for me?" Sterling asked.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

The actress yawned as she sealed the last letter with silver sealing wax that Captain Sterling so graciously gave to her. Lilly’s fingers were stained with indigo ink and the tip of her quill nearly a nub now. She was on a mission to make sure that both her letters and Captain Sterling’s were upon the Lucifer that morning. It had been a very long night. She had sat at the far table in the tavern that evening finishing up the last of her posts as dawn broke. She looked about the tavern to see that most of the crowd had disappeared into the night or laid drunk upon the floor of the tavern. She rubbed her eyes for the moment and yawned again. She knew that she must make it to the docks before 8 bells. Quickly, Lilly tied the letters up in ribbon and placed them into her pocket. As she walked to the door she heard a rustling sound coming from the other side of the bar. She thought nothing of it until she heard the shattering of a jug and a voice deeply laden with ale muttered to her. “D’ya hear me call for ye, Lass?” Lilly turned and looked at the man standing behind the bar. “Ney.” She whispered and reached for the door. “I do not hear you Raskal at the Bar! I shall not hear the likes of ye!” The young man quickly lent over the bar and held her wrist. “Come now, letters in abundance and all to England, this does not look promising, does it?”

Member of "The Forsaken"

Mistress McKinney had done as he requested and had retired to The Three Crownes for the night. Sterling, still aboard the Archangel, went over the letters in his head as he laid back to sleep again. The first, a simple letter of introduction for Andrew March to Sir Henry, requesting that the Admiral be so kind as to help Mr. March obtain the necessary letters of Marque in Sterling's temporary absence. With high praise, Mr. March was presented as a man to be trusted to act properly on his captain's and the Archangel's behalf.

The second.... he tried to make himself as comfortable as possible as he remembered it, hoping it would get his point across without sounding too much for what it truly was. If only She could understand his situation.... surely she, of all people.... he sighed, his head beginning to ache again.... sometimes he truly wondered why she loved him so much.

Mistress Catherine Gray, The Empress

Care of The Empress of the Seas Coffee House

Two shops down from My Lady's Mantua Shop on the corner of King and James Streets

Facing the Great Piazza, Covent Garden

London, England

Empress,

Habibi, it is with urgency that I have someone put pen to paper on my behalf. I pray that this letter finds you and Sarah in good health and security. I would say the same as regards to mine own state of affairs, if I could.

Habibi, I am in desperate need of capital as my last endeavor to take some prizes resulted in naught. On the morrow, The 'Angel puts into the shipyards for a much needed refit and I send Andrew March to see to acquiring several new Letters of Marque. It is my solemn prayer that I may be able to obtain said letters on credit as Sir Henry Morgan is more than anxious to fill the needed complement of ships and men to safeguard Port Royal, now that the Oxford is destroyed.

Habibi, I know this is the second letter this month that I have written regarding this distasteful theme, but you know that I am not a wastrel with the coin you provide me. Please help me once more as, other than you dearest lady, it would kill me to have to sell shares of the 'Angel to investors to attain the cash needed to not only keep her afloat but in the hunt.

Tell Sarah I love her and that I send my apologies that I could not enclose any small token for her or for yourself. Habibi, I know things must soon come about in the Archangel's favour, until then I beg that you be long-suffering with me and forgive me for placing you in such an undesirable place yet again.

With utmost respect,

As well as my heart,

Yours,

John

He closed his eyes, hoping soon, he would hear from her. Surely she would send the money he needed and perhaps, just perhaps, she would also explain why Mistress McKinney was in Jamaica and why she had not warned him.........

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

From out side of the tavern, a sudden commotion is heard.

Suddenly a youngster bursts through the tavern door and knocks the drunkard to the floor.

“Sorry sir! Grimaces the young man as he notices the drunk sprawled out on the floor and covered in ale. But the Allister brothers are bringing in the next lot of dancers for the hangman!”

Lilly takes this opportunity to escape as several of the other patrons push toward the door in an attempt to see whom the latest “rabbits” are.

As everyone knows, the Allister brothers are four of the most notorious Bounty men in the area. Though they’re crimes are rarely different than the unfortunate souls they arrest, it is also rumored they have an extremely influential contact in the local government. Thereby allowing them to rob and murder in the name of justice.

However, as the large prison wagon slides to a halt, a cruel and somewhat humorous little song can be heard.

“Oh Rats got the baby, Rats got the baby, Go tell Mom! Go tell Mom!

Rats ate the baby, Rats ate the baby, Go tell Mon! Go tell Mom!

Rats caught the lady, Rats caught the lady, Go tell Mom! Go tell Mom!

Rats ate the..OUCH!!!!” Yells the singer as he is suddenly struck by one of the guards. You’re lucky you caught me with me pants down or I’d be wearing yer guts for garters!!”

“Sure Rats, Replies the large and hulking guard. Why do you think we knew where you were hiding? The girls were working for us you damned highwayman!”

“Well then tell em to give ol’ Rats back his gold!….On second thought, tell em to keep it! Them girls earned their money!!! Oh Rat’s got the Lady, Rat’s got the Lady….Ouch!!!

Again the group of unfortunate criminals burst into laughter as Jacob Riley (Aka: Rats O'Riley: scoundrel, highwayman and soon to be pirate) is again struck by one of the guards.

However, what the guards haven’t noticed, is that even though Rats is still nursing a bit of a hang-over, he has already picked the locks on his shackles and is simply waiting for the right chance to make his escape.

One of the letters which Mistress Lilly had written from her own personal account, to be read by one person alone, had fallen from her pocket unto the street facing the harbor near the Ship, Lucifer. In it, the letter has such a tone; one that could only be described as a letter of desperation and despair...

Mistress Catherine Gray, The Empress

Care of The Empress of the Seas Coffee House

Two shops down from My Lady's Mantua Shop on the corner of King and James Streets

Facing the Great Piazza, Covent Garden

London, England

Empress,

I have been deceived, as have you. We live a wretched life of being used by men and yet, we use them in return. I fear that you will soon feel the wrath of Lord Darnly and to my dismay; he will take his dislike and anger out upon you. Forgive me. It was not my intension of parting with you in such a fashion, but I had to leave…with the hope of starting a new life and mayhap, to find Captain Sterling. Again forgive me for my deception and my lies for stealing away that evening with your best dress and your biscit money I found under the floorboard.

Hopefully with time your anger has soothed. Fate has been kind to me, Empress. I have found Captain Sterling here in Port Royal and yet, he is in great need of a physician. He is weak, pale and worries all the time now that his Ship, the Archangel may not muster another voyage. It now lays in wait to be fitted. I have come all this way to look him in the face…and yet…I have not found my center of strength in my heart to tell him why I am here. Life is cruel, Empress. I would beg, borrow, and steal to keep myself alive…and yet, now my life will has changed and will never be the same.

I pray that God will find it in His heart to forgive me for my selfish nature.

Your Favorite,

Mistress Lilly McKinney

Member of "The Forsaken"

It was early when Hazzards and Symms, the captain's steward, arrive to wake Sterling and help him prepare to leave the Archangel and move to a more reputable inn to recover and wait out the refitting of the ship.

Taking their time, in spite of their captain's urgency to get the ship into the yards, Sterling is finally dressed and ready to be escorted from the 'Angel. With utmost confidence in his first officer and yet regret that he is unable to see to the business of the moment, Sterling presses into March's hand the necessary letter of introduction for Sir Henry.

"Do us proud Master March," Sterling says.

"Aye sir, I shall do my best," the first officer replies.

"Of this I have no doubts Andrew," Sterling says. He casts one last glance over his ship before he turns and offers his hand to March.

"You rest easy sir," March says. "I shall come see ye after I have a bloody good chat with ole Sir Henry then."

"Thank you Master March, " Sterling says and finally allows himself to be ushered back to the streets of Port Royal.

Crewe of the Archangel

Out of the corner of his eye Rats noticed a young breath of fresh air emerge from the tavern nearby. She looks somewhat upset and hurried, with a hand full of parcels.

As she passes by he notices one of the letters fall from the lady's arms.

"This must be of some importance for such a lovely lass to be in such concern." he grins watching the lady hurry down the street.

Waiting for the best possible moment springs the lock and leaps from the wagon.

Pausing for a moment, he stops and picks up the letter the young lady had dropped.

But as he stands and turns, he comes face to face with the bully guard who had thrashed him only moments earlier.

"I'm going to enjoy this..." Snarls the guard, as he pats his billy stick into his bear-like hand.

"Get him lads!" yells another prisoner, as the wagon of unfortunate convicts pile onto the guard.

Suddenly the street errupt into a brawling site of fist-to-cuff.

Without proper blade or pistol, Rats takes this opportunity, to escape down a nearby backstreet. But wiping the sweat from his brow, he realizes it's not sweat, but a slight flow of blood.

"I'll need a stitch or two for this one." He sighs as he cautiously makes his way to the home office of Doctor Owen Easterly.

After patiently knocking, Rats decides to pick the door and tend to himself. But entering, soon discovers no one is there.

"Perhaps on holiday?" wonders Rats as he looks through the doctors fine wardrobe for clothes, more suitable.

After settling on a much nicer suit of clothing, Rats seizes the opportunity to clean up and shave off the past weeks of stubble.

"You still got it boy-O. He grins, as he admires himself in the mirror. You look like a new man. "

Then as he sits down next to the book case,

"I should have finished my studies." He laughs, picking up a nearby medical journal and thinking back to younger days, when he was a student of medicine, before he had that unfortunate duel with the local magistrate's son.

"I suppose I could still turn a stitch or two." He grins as he starts collecting the needed medicines and instruments to tend to his wounds.

After tending to his own wounds, Rats sits back and enjoys a much needed moment of rest.

Looking around at the fine home, he almost regrets the life he had lived. "But what fun you've had, boyo. (He grins.) What fun you've had..."

"Hello? He stopps, noticing the nicely carved wooden case on the shelve. "What have we here?"

Opening the square presentation box, Rats discovers a pair of nicely detailed dueling pistols, with small powder flask and several shot.

"You may be poor as dirt, but you have the luck of the devil, lad. The luck of the devil."

Now sitting back and feeling a change in luck was just over the horizon, Rats drifts into a much needed sleep.

The Rakehell arrived quietly at the North Docks two hours after midnight. Even at that late hour, I could see lights in windows and hear laughter from the many taverns. As expected, we were greeted by a King's soldier, who inspected the ship. I needn't have worried, as it was a slipshod business. A fine bottle of Burgundy from my private stash was more than enough incentive for him to leave the ship without asking too many questions about our previous whereabouts and our current business. Before retiring to my small cabin, I commanded all hands to stay on board until daylight. I wanted news of the town before turning my crewe loose.

I was up on deck at dawn. To my left, I could see what Ioan informed me was Fort James. Across from the docks I saw many buildings and warehouses, and a main street. My inspection was interrupted by the Dock Master, hustling toward us to see who the new arrival was. I sighed and prepared to prevaricate.

He came aboard toting a sheaf of papers and a wide grin. "Good morrow, good morrow, sir. Welcome to Port Royal."

"Good morrow to you," I replied, amused at his surprise when he realized he was addressing a woman and not a man.

"Well, yes, err, madame," he blustered.

"It's miss," I informed him. Behind me, Ioan gave a snort of amusement.

"Of course, my apologies—miss. What business have you in Port Royal?"

"I come to buy provisions, and may hap take on cargo. Our stay will be a short one." I met his quizzical look with one of bland indifference, hoping to stave-off closer inquiry into our business. "Could you recommend to me what merchants have dealings with the colonies?"

"Oh, certainly. Port Ryal merchants have dealings all over the world. Go to the Merchant's Guild and they will direct you. They can also direct you to those who can victual your ship." He fussed with paper and quill and produced an ink bottle from his pocket. "Just pay the dock fee, sign this paper and give the name of your ship, and all will be well."

"What of the governor? Do I pay my respects, or is this sufficient?" I handed back the paper, and gave him the required fee.

"Oh, the Governor will be glad of anther ship in Port Royal. He is talking to all the captains about some great adventure. Do present yourself to him." Then, like a bustling little beetle, he was off the ship and disappeared into the town.

I turned to Ioan. "What do yo think old Morgan is talking to the captains about?"

He shook his head. "I wouldn't venture to guess, but I doubt it's something we want to get involved in."

I looked around the docks, noticing several fine ships, including one called the Archangel. "Give the men leave to go ashore. You go to the Merchant's Guild and arrange for provisions. What's the best tavern for gossip?"

He grinned and gave me a name.

I cocked an eye. "Then, when you've finished with the merchants, look for me there. May hap we can avoid falling into trouble before it finds us."

Ioan winked. "Aye, My Lady Captain."

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Oh, the Governor will be glad of anther ship in Port Royal. He is talking to all the captains about some great adventure. Do present yourself to him." Then, like a bustling little beetle, he was off the ship and disappeared into the town.

OOC

Aplogies. Amend "he" to "Also, the Admiral...". Brain and hand were not in sync!

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

After a dizzying walk through town, Sterling and his “keepers” finally arrive at his temporary new lodgings. The captain is quickly stripped of his clothes and turned back into nightshirt , filled with noxious tasting medicines, and put back to bed.

“You may go Master Hazzards, “ Sterling remarks brusquely. “Or are thee, also, going to stand watch over me, like my other Mother Hen, Master Symms?” The captain, clearly annoyed with his recent situation, casts a glance over at the other officer, who has firmly planted himself by one of the room’s windows.

“Beggin your pardon Sir, I shall be on my…..” the second officer’s voice trails off. It is evident to the others in the room that his attention is firmly focused on something transpiring in the street.

Sterling sighs, thumps the pillows soundly behind him, where upon Symms jumps to his assistance.

“I can manage well enough Master Symms. I am not dead yet,” the captain growls only to give up to his steward’s doggedness. Sterling grudgingly settles down into the bed as the older servant continues to fuss over him.

“Bloody hell…” Hazzards mumbles from his perch. He turns, somewhat excited, as the sounds of a brawl erupt from the street below. “Your lady friend, Sir.”

“A bit bold are we?” Sterling snaps, finally pushing Symms away from him with a scowl, which he transfers to the other officer.

“Ah… beggin yer pardon sir. But an acquaintance of yours… Mistress McKinney, the actress…just passed by below….” Hazzards said.

For the briefest of seconds even Matthew Hazzards could see the captain’s face pale as he listened to the other man’s report and now listened to the sounds of an all out free-for-all pouring through the upper window.

“Not to worry sir. She’s gone, passed through before the melee began. Just that she’s managed to drop a letter in the street. Some miscreant, slipped his shackles and retrieved it only to start this current scrap and has now disappeared into the back streets with it.”

“A letter you say?“ Sterling asks suddenly setting up in the bed. Once again pushing Symms away, the captain attempts to join Hazzards at the window but rapidly gives up when his efforts are blocked by the steward.

“Aye sir,” Hazzards replies.

“Did you get a good look at the rogue that made off with it?”

“Well enough.”

“Good God, man then be off after him and retrieve it. She were to post a letter of mine! We may not be able to afford the delay!”

Crewe of the Archangel

Sterling waited impatiently as Hazzards hurried from the inn. Symms stood and watched his captain fidget knowing all too well keeping him in bed now would be nigh impossible. It was only a matter of moments before Sterling flung back the bed clothes and ordered Symms to fetch him his clothes again.

"But sir?!" the steward protested.

"But nothing! Damn it man I need to find that McKinney woman! And I need to find her now!" Sterling said angrily, holding his hand out for his breeches.

"Yer health sir!"

"If I lose the Archangel Symms, the ague won't kill me... The Empress will!" Sterling replied, tugging his garments from the tight fingers of the older servant.

Crewe of the Archangel

It was almost an hour later that Sterling spotted her. He found the actress, strolling upon the arm of the Captain, upon the decks of the Lucifer. Sterling stood on the docks, the wind completely knocked from his sails as he watched the young woman flirt with the other captain. Symms, out of breath not from what he witnessed but from pursuing his charge, finally caught up to Sterling. Doubling over besides the younger man, Symms gasped, “Pay it no heed sir, perhaps she is haggling over the price of postage!”

Sterling shot the servant an evil look then proceeded to launch into his own stupidity where the actress was concerned.

“Mistress McKinney!” he hailed her from the dock.

Crewe of the Archangel

“Mistress McKinney!” someone hailed her from the dock. Lilly looked down toward the voice she knew and saw Captain Sterling staring back up at her.

“Someone you know?” Captain Henri of the Lucifer asked.

“An … acquaintance,” Lilly replied. “Captain Sterling of the Archangel.”

“Sir John Sterling?” Henri asked. His impressed tone of voice irked Lilly somewhat.

“At one point in time, yes he could claim such a title. But thanks to his father and his taste in low women,” Lilly smiled up at the Lucifer’s captain. “He cannot continue to make such claims.”

“Low women, indeed,” the French captain said, obviously not impressed by Lilly’s remark, and yet he continued to escort her safely back down to the street, his fingers gently stroking the actress’s hand upon his sleeve.

When the reached the safety of the land, Captain Henri continued with the actress on his arm, only, much to her dismay, he brought her round face to face with the other captain.

"Bonjour Captain Sterling, Mademoiselle McKinny has been telling me all about you!"

Member of "The Forsaken"

Lilly stood there looking back at the Captain; she pressed a smile to her lips. "Captain Sterling a pleasure as always." Captain Henri looked back at the Captain and bowed at the waist. "My word Sterling, there is not a day that goes by that your name is not mentioned in my travels. You name exceeds you, Sir!" The Captain in turn bowed in kind, but his attentions were drawn back to the actress. “Will you forgive us Captain Henri, a word with you Mistress, if I may?” He quickly took her elbow and led her back towards the direction of the Inn.

As they walked the air became thick with the sense of awkwardness between the two of them. “The letters; I see that you have done what I’ve requested.” “Aye,” She whispered back in kind. “I have done what you requested of me. The letters are on their way back to England.” It is then the Captain turned and looked at Lilly.

“May I ask why you are here, a thousand miles from your home in London?” She felt herself stagger for breath; a heavy pause was given to the Captain. “I could not stay there any longer. My life had very little meaning there and very little happiness.” The Captain then continued to walk with her close by her side. He nodded his head in understanding, a characteristic which she found very favorable. She always admired his nature not to judge and always had a tender way about him. “You’re Patron, Darnly is it? Does he know you are here?” She staggered another breath. “No, Captain…he does not.” The Captain looked surprised by her reply. “And of the Empress…surely she is worried about you?” “She does not know either, Captain.”

Completely puzzled by her actions the Captain pulls her aside. “Mistress, what may I ask is about here? I fear you have placed yourself is a very bad situation.” With a deep sigh, Lilly looks deeply into the Captain’s eyes. “My situation turned bad the moment you left England, Sir. This is why I’ve come to seek you out. Pray, a moment in privacy with you…please.”

Member of "The Forsaken"

Completely puzzled by her actions the Captain pulls her aside. “Mistress, what may I ask is about here? I fear you have placed yourself is a very bad situation.” With a deep sigh, Lilly looks deeply into the Captain’s eyes. “My situation turned bad the moment you left England, Sir. This is why I’ve come to seek you out. Pray, a moment in privacy with you…please.”

Sterling looked down at her, still bristling slightly to have found her on the arm of another ship's captain... and a French dog to boot.

"What is more private than the busy streets? Methinks no one knows thee here save I and my crew," he said. He shook his head.

"Please," the actress whispered a second time.

Sterling sighed. Then glanced around knowing Symms was most likely still dogging his heels but now at a respectable distance. "Mayhaps it is something that can wait until later. Would ye care to join me for dinner? I feel the need to go lay me down for a spell yet. I came only seeking thee for thee dropped a letter in the streets earlier on. I needed to know that my letter was safe tis all."

Crewe of the Archangel

Lilly looked up at the captain. He still did not look well so all she could do for now was nod her consent to his invitation.

“Later then,” she said, not masking the disappointment in her voice. She watched as he bowed then turn to take his leave.

“Captain?” she called after him. Sterling stopped and made his way back to her.

“Aye?” The captain said.

Lilly took a deep breath before she looked up at him again.

“Is your letter the only reason you came looking for me today?” she asked him.

For a moment he appeared only to look confused. And then, suddenly to her surprise, the captain leaned forward and kissed her. As his lips pressed to hers, Lilly moved closer to him and then found her hands upon his chest pushing against him. It took most of her strength before she was able to finally shove him from her.

“JOHN!” she cried out, then struck him across the face.

“I still love you Lilly,” the stunned man confessed to her.

“Oh for God’s sake, Captain,” Lilly sputtered, trying to collect herself. “In the middle of the day, in the middle of the street?!?! Your father is always telling others you have lost your mind! Must you prove him right all of your own accord?!!”

Member of "The Forsaken"

It only took the actress moments to make her way back to the inn. She entered the tavern and wiped her tear stain cheeks with the back of her hand.

It was midday and the inn had only a few 'regulars' there. As she continued to walked through the tavern, she noticed a handful of well dressed gents engaged in conversation. There they sat at a large table towards the back of the inn. Their names were unknown, but she had seen the majority of them from the funeral services the other day.

She thought about the Archangel and its' condition. "Letters...he talked about a letter being dropped?!" She whispered to herself. It was then a hand was gently placed upon her shoulder. "Here Mistress...why do you cry alone when you can have the help of my company to cry with?" She turned towards the voice to see a pair of dark brown eyes flash back at her. "My name is Bartholomew Treate, Mistress. I see that you are in need of a kind soul. May I have the honor?" He said pointing at a chair next to him.

Lilly wiped her face again and shook her head no. "My apologies, Master Treate, but I would be poor company this day." "I assure you Mistress...'tis company alone I wish...nothing more. " She looked up at him again for a moment then took a seat at the table. "You're the one they say is an actress. Are you really from London?" He asked as he poured her a glass. "Yes, I came in upon the Resurrection several days ago." "You mean you sailed in with Lady Barbossa?" "Yes. Her ship was the only one that was leaving London's dock that morning. She took me aboard with some reluctance, but here I am." Bart sat there and smiled to himself. "She is known as a great Captain in these parts...but she has a temper that the Devil himself fears!" Lilly crested a smile. "There...there...do I see a happy face now?" Bart questioned her. She then relaxed a bit and smiled freely.

It was then she heard the men in the back begin to picker and shout. "Here, do you know them?" She said looking up at Bart. "Aye, they be mostly the Captains of the ships in port. They claim that there is business here in Port Royal and the Admiral request that they meet him here." "But why? And on a Sunday?" She looked over at the group of them again continuing to shout amongst themselves.

It is then Lilly remembers the lost letter. "I am sorry, but I must leave thee. I have an urgent matter to attend to." Lilly quickly stands as Bart follows. "I am in search of a lost letter and I hear that a rouge has it in his possession." Bart leans forward and smiles. "If you saw him, Mistress...would you know of him?" "I am sorry, but I did not see him take the letter sir...I only know that there is a rough with my correspondence in his pocket and it is of the utmost importance that I get it back." Bart stood there for a moment and pondered. "This is Port Royal, Mistress...whatever you wish you can obtain...and if you ask about ...you can obtain what ever you wish...for a price!"

Member of "The Forsaken"

In a deep sleep, Rats goes over the past few days of events in his head.

The drinking, the wenching, being betrayed and then suddenly attacked by the Allister Brothers, a well-timed escape, the girl.

"The girl.......? That was no girl Boy-O!" Rats says to hisself. "That was a Lady."

But what was it about her? Why did she run out of there in such a hurried fashion? Why would a lady be in such a place? She was something though.... Wasn't she?

Waking with a start, Rats quickly draws one of his pistols.

Slowly walking through the dark, Rats is positive the sound came from within' the room.

As he turns he notices a young man sitting at the desk.

"Doctor Easterly?" He asks, as he takes a carefull aim and pulls back the hammer on the pistol.

But as the young man turns around, Rats is suddenly confronted by the likeness of Richard Skinner, the young man Rats had killed several years prior.

"Why Reiley?" Asks the ghost. "You wanted to save lives not take them."

"You had it comming, you bastard." Replied Rats as he cautiously takes two steps backward. "For what you did to that girl."

"And what have you done to women? Asks the ghost. Surely it's no different than..."

"There's a big difference!" Snaps Rats. "Never have I forced a woman, nor have I ever killed one!"

"But I didn't kill her..." Shruggs the ghost. "She did that herself."

"That's because she couldn't live with the shame!" Yells Rats, as he remembers back to Sarah's funeral.

"So that's your reason for killing me?" Replies the ghost. "Perhaps you're right, perhaps I deserved it. But look at you now! You've taken lives for no other reason than filling your cup with drink. So don't try to pretend you're any different than I. But something tells me Mr. Reiley, that I'll be seeing you very soon!"

Suddenly a pistol shot is heard and a large hole bursts forth on the young man's throat, as the ghost turns from a well-groomed youngman to a hideous corpse. Then as the ghost grabbs it's throat and begins screaming, Rats suddenly wakes with a start.

Drawing both pistols, he looks around the room in a panic.

"Bad dream, he sighs in relief. Bad memory.... He had it comming. By God, he had it comming..."

Then looking across the room toward his old clothes and worn jacket, he notices a white piece of paper sticking from out of his pocket.

"The letter....?"

I, being Matthew Hazzards, second officer of the crew of the Archangel, spent most of my day milling about the streets of Port Royal. At one point I had given chase after a man that fit what I remembered of the thief who had made off with Lilly McKinney’s letter, only to lose him in the more seedier back streets of Jamaica. At noon I stopped long enough to give myself a breather and a bit of lunch and some grog and then be about my task again. There was not much else for me to do to pass my time while the Archangel was in the hands of the shipyards any way.

As the sun began to set for the day, I decided it was time to investigate further, but now in the local pubs. So I made my way back feeling as if I should give up the hunt and drown my defeat with some of the town’s best rum, when I noticed a man leaving one of the better buildings ahead of me.

“Surely,” thinks I aloud and quickly fall into step at a safe distance behind the man who had just left Dr. Easterly’ place of practice.