carronades and things that go bang in the night

crow

Might any of you good souls know where a decent , honest , kindly and hard working fisherman might find a purveyor of good solid cannons . I've gone to the Steen cannon web site but they don't make naval type guns , and anyplace else I have inquired say that they don't recomend the firing of blackpowder in their replica guns. A cannon that does'nt belch flames or sound like thunder isn't much fun ...

Lord above please send a dove with wings as sharp as razors , to cuts the throats of them there blokes what sells bad booze to sailors ..

" Illigitimiti non carborundum . "

• 3 weeks later...

Hail and greetins me heartys. I thank thee for the information on the gun sights er I mean sites and should time and coin allow I hope to aquire at least one fer me own entertainment an amusement.

Lord above please send a dove with wings as sharp as razors , to cuts the throats of them there blokes what sells bad booze to sailors ..

" Illigitimiti non carborundum . "

• 2 weeks later...

carbide is to black powder as;

lady fingers are to m-80s as;

.22 bullets are to .48 bullets

:lol::huh::lol:

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

OK, there's a sure-enuf vote in favor of black powder! Does anyone know of a good small BP cannon: something that might be, say, .50 caliber, and used just for signaling and noisemaking purposes?

How well does Pyrodex finction in lieu of BP in cannon?

How many on the list have experience shooting full scale black powder cannon?

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

I've run both Pyrodex and Black Powder.

BP is cheaper out here on the East coast and they both require the same cleaning.

We have found some "Anti-fouling" powder that we will be trying in small arms first. I'll try to keep folk informed as we move up in caliber.

Evil Tiny

Why yes, as a matter of fact, I am bloodthirstier than thou!

Evil Tiny

I'm not really evil...oh wait...yes I am!

Discipline is on the severe side of harsh, and I likes it that way.

Pyrodex is supposedly safer against accidental ignition than is black powder. But because of that, it's also supposedly harder to use in flintlocks than in percussion ignition systems.

Yes or no, anyone know? :huh:

Capt. William

Ahoy me scaliwags... Dixie gun works ( they are also on line, but I seriously reccomend the catalog ) has a large assortment of cannons including naval guns and swivel guns. The Swivel guns are just around two hundred dollars. They also have a large selection of pistols and pistol kits including the Queen Anne gun that many find so popular. hope this helps...... The Capt.

the two cannons we use are both home made by my father who was a machinist.the small one is about .38 cal and the large one measures 1 1/4"(don't know the caliber as we don't fire live ammo in it)they both are very loud,but I was able to be nice and close to a swivel gun,that looked like it could have fired a raquetball-the sound was so loud that I cannot see anybody being able to hear after a season spent fireing it without ear protection.the concussion alone was incredible-when it fired,it caused my eyeballs to compress and it felt like someone had hit me in the chest with a wiffel bat.definately must be experienced :D

Capt Weaver

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Anybody ever seen or tried a propane cannon? Cannon Mania is selling a 45" naval reproduction (for about $2400!), but they are otherwise rare. While obviously less authentic, they are apparently inexpensive to operate and still produce a great deal of noise and flame. My crew is considering the purchase of one because in our inland municipal location, black powder guns are liable to attract unfriendly attention from the Kings Officers. We think we could brazen out a propane cannon, though.

I'm curious to learn if anyone has had experience with propane cannons and can lend perspective or suggest vendors or resources that I might consult.

-Bloody Buckets

"Arrrgghh... this IS me good eye!"

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Administration Policy</span>

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>At Pyracy.com, it's all about you!

Whatever you want, that's what we're going to do. I'm serious. If you want me to cry, then I'm bawling, baby. If you want your own topic started, LOOK OUT MAMA HERE IT COMES! There's nothing that I won't do to accomodate your slightest whim. Stop looking at me, please. You're making me a little nervous. Please blink or something. You soulless, devouring monsters. You've taken everything that was decent in me and buried it in scorpions. How I loathe you all.</span>

I'm not sure, for safety reasons, that I'd want to try me luck with homemade cannon and all that, unless I was both an experienced BP shooter and an experienced machinist, Jocko.

Capt. William

:)

Jocko...What do you mean when you say building black powder guns. There are various B.P. kits for sale out there and those kits come in different levels of difficulty. There are easy kits where you simply do a little sanding and fine fitting ,stain and finish and put it together. There are other kits where it is spelled out that you will need gun smithing skills to actuallly build the weapon. Dixie gun works sells blank stocks. Some are just shape cut outs that you still have to really finish cuttting and fitting all the components together. Then you can buy barrell, trigger, lock.etc.... and fit those to the gun. B.P. building can be a lot of fun. I built my own guns from kits that I purchased. These were level one kits and did not need a lot of work. But, even these required a good deal of patience to get a fine finished product. Think about what you want to do. Building and boring a barrell and building all the other components of a B.P. gun is serious work. Also, talk to others who own such weapons and get thier input on how they did thier guns.ie... built them or bought ready made. Just be PATIENT. Take your time ,find what you want , and build it step by step. If you do not rush it, you will be much happier with the finished product..... The Capt.

aaaahhhh,

a voice of reason among the many adrenaline junkie bp users-been around way too many,where I stand a good deal away and hold the phone to dial 911 when the inevitable accident happens-I have learned the hard way from their mistakes not to stand behind or to the side of a bp cannon(and of course not in front or with your head over the tap hole)

one time the side mounting rod shot out a good 30 ft--found out they used too high of a temper steel on the rod and it didn't match the hardness of the barrel when they hand made the cannon-RESEARCH IS A MUST.

another homemade cannon blew out the side rear-weakness in the metal.

just don't use those old style metal welding rod cases-there are plans for those available and they are great for butane gold ball shooting,but many people have said that they where recomended for bp and there is just no way that will hold up to the pressures of it.

I think its best to join a reputable club with experienced members who can give you safe advise---its just as loud and exciting using bp correctly and safely,so why risk injujry?

Capt Weaver

Capt Weaver

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Aye I TOTALLY hear ya and understand... Safety is ALWAYS paramount.. The reason I'd like to learn how to build them is that, after learning to build existing designs, I'd like to try my hand at new designs... I have some ideas I'd like to try to increase the reliability of firing (mechanism and configuration), accuracy (rifling), also different methods for operating in rain, etc...

As for my resources... My father-in-law is a machinist - he had his own company/shop for 30+ years... So in that regard I'm all set... As for design knowledge, etc, I myself am an engineer (electrical) and many of my friends/co-workers are mechanical engineers (one of which may be joining the pub here soon...) so I can get lots of assistance with design and even analysis. As it was said previously, research, experience, and safety are the three things I am in need of...

:rolleyes: Jocko :P

Jocko.... I'm afraid that I cannot give you much help on experience here on the internet. As far as research and saftey goes.... Research is something you will want hands on. You need to find others who have done this in your area. This is important so that you can actually see and get a hands on idea of what you are getting involved in. Believe it or not, a lot of the good sword vendors at many fairs can help you with this. For example.... The one craftsman who built most of my fighting swords, also builds his own guns. What he did was build his stocks and barrels and bought the action from another distributor. This is just one example. Not all vendors build guns also. But, many of them can point you in the right direction. Also, talk ot some of your more serious gun dealers in your area. Many of them might also be able to point you in the direction of others who are involved in this activity. As far as saftey goes. I'm not sure of what you want to know. With firearms, saftey is paramount. Again, when it comes to building cannons, I would think that those who have more experience with this, would be able to give you much more detail on what you will need in this line also. I found out that if you inquire into who makes the cannons for sale from different dealers, ie. dixie gun works, they can lead you to the various manufacturors and mabye they could give you more insight into this field..... Hope this helps.... The Capt.

I thank thee! ALL of thee!... I appreciate any and all help that I can get.. I shall do just as you said... I have recently discovered a gun shop not too far from my home which I will, on my way home from work, stop in...

thanks again...

Jocko

Cap'n William,

Me pops always makes the noisemakers in the family. Every time he hears about a new way to make noise, he does it. He's even gone so far as to blow up milk jugs with an air hose. Then, he laughs maniacally and glances over his shoulder to giggle at my mother's disdainful stare.

He actually made a tiny little cannon that shoots black powder lead balls, although he's not used the lead balls in quite sometime. He usually just packs it like a BP gun blank, mainly because he lives on 6/10 of an acre with houses all 'round. Sometimes he fires the stinky little thing up on Independence Day for a good rousing scream from all us women. IT IS LOUD!

The problem is, he made little wheels (I think), and ended up taking them off when the cannon launched itself--backward--halfway across the yard.

He has made his own lead balls and black powder. He's even dabbled with cannon fuse and other stuff. That's me pops...he's really smart and neat.

My tips, look on the Net for reinactor links and topics on how to make your own BP cannon. You might look under Black Powder Miniatures. Daddy use to make all kinds of stuff like that. He made one small derringer pistol type BP gun that was turned completely out of brass and wood. The barrel was brass! It was very pretty. He also made a five-foot long rifle that he calls his "Davy Crockett."

Yo, ho, ho!

:ph34r:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

• 3 weeks later...

Cannons... ah, a subject dear ta me heart...

As fr BP v Pyrodex et al, I have some small experience (Member, US Field Artillery Assn., Loyal Train chapter) an' have found BP to be superior with both live and blank loads as ye gets more bang an smoke with less work. Pyrodex reqires more ramming and must be lit with at least BP if not a friction primer or percussion cap and just doesn't perform as well in cannon. As for propane, what few I seen don't have the "cultural and historic" exemptions that a true BP cannon has... important when yer dealin with the local constabulary, but more important when BATF shows up.

As for sizing cannon, how much does an iron ball the size of the bore weigh? A one pounder fires a (gasp) one pound iron ball, I like the six pounder I crew on... a six pounder with a one pound charge of powder firing saboted round ball can hit a forty gallon keg ten shots out of twelve, and that's with the keg lying down. Not bad for smooth bore.

Keep yer fires where they belong, in yer lanterns & pipes

Salamander