carronades and things that go bang in the night

crow

Capt William, ye ask two, I'll answer two. Range was 200 yards, an' the shoot was paid for by Greystone Productions for the History Channel (Weapons of the Alamo was the working title, planned to air in December). Yah, different time, different place, but valuable lessons on how picky the aim is and how far the steel will fly.... USFAA is an organization for US Army artillerymen, HQ is Fort Sill OK, and the Loyal Train Chapter is for reenactors... so I got some serious safety training on BP cannon from US Army certified instructors. It was well worth the admission price to the school... those interested might be able to find a school in your area by contacting Rev War or Civil War artillery units, I recommend it to all me hearties...

As fer the rest o' ye, I hae seen a few homemade cannon, most were well researched & built (one was turned on an industrial lathe from a solid 8" cylinder of steel) and all the ones that are in regular use survived a "proofing": Double charge of powder, well rammed, 2 cannonballs (if your gun requires sabots due to the size ball vs size bore, then sabot both) and a long fuse. This is done on acreage, best on hilly acreage aimed into a hill or cliff face. Light the fuse, and run at right angles to the bore to a safe place (behind a stone wall, cliff face, hill, etc.) and wait for the boom. Or do like John and go 3 miles to the nearest burger joint... 5 minutes after the boom (so everything fallng has a chance to) go inspect the damage. Look for swells, cracks, any deformity in the barrel. Any deformity is cause for rejection. (Charlie followed this test with "Fill the bore up to the muzzle with well-rammed powder & light the fuse". His passed both tests.) If the barrel passes, mount it on the carriage.

Then enjoy yer grog in good health, me buckos.

Salamander

Aye, Mate Salamander, thank ye fer yer double-charged response!

Pray tell us more about this course: exactly when and where held, fees, cannon ye trained with, etc.

I've not been able to score a direct Internet hit on the Loyal Train Chapter; maybe I'll have to aim at US Field Artillery Association instead, and then use me mortar to reach the Chapter!

:P

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Captain, it is as I hae said. USFAA.com is the site of the USFAA but there is precious little info there about the Loyal Train chapter, other than it exists and is for reenactors. As for finding the when -n- where of a "School of the Piece" as they're known, I got to attend my first after finding a Civil War group that was hosting one.... it was a bit of a search, as we were the only Texas Revolution Artillery outfit we knew of. I will suggest finding a local CW Artillery outfit and ask them where to find a Scool of the Piece. Those on the east coast might be able to find French & Indian or Am Revolution arty units who can help. I will ask my f®iends and see what resources I can post here to help the search.

I was trained on a Napoleon 6 pounder, field piece, full scale. The gun is used at the San Jacinto reenactment in April as the Mexican cannon.

I will take quill in hand again as soon as I get answers.

Salamander

• 3 weeks later...

As promised... and here I go....

Having talked with a cannon crew Instructor, he said I hit it right when I suggested "find a Civil War (or Revolutiionary War) cannon crew and ask about a School of the Piece". If they don't know what you're talking about, find another... and he thought it'd be a real hoot to have a buch of pyrates join a US Army cannon club... (USFAA). Another thought: Ask at an Army base where the local Artillery unit is (or Nat'l Guard post?) and ask them for help finding a local Loyal Train chapter... Artillerymens is knowed as Redlegs ... I hope this helps. If'n it don't, lemme know.

Cook: Wish we had some salt.

Hunter: You can season meat with gunpowder....

Cook: Wish we had some gunpowder.

Thanks fer the info, Mate Salamander.

There is a Washington Artillery (Civil War) reenactment group here; some of the folks might know about such schools.

I gave some thougth to joining their group; but the Civl War, while it interests me, is later than most of my historical interests; and tecnologically, I'm nore interested in flint than in percussion.

Capt. William

:ph34r:

:ph34r: My powder bill is larger than your rent. The best deal in cannon barrels for a ship are the naval carronades from Hern Iron Works in Idaho. Cannon mania is a high end retail source, this is the factory(foundry). I'll wager all of my six deck guns on them being the best bang for the buck. Captain of the Royaliste :ph34r:I do sea battles against South Bend cannons on the Chieftain. They too are spendy for a pirate.

• 2 weeks later...

What IS the current price of black powder, Mate Royaliste?

I believe there is only one manufacturer of BP in the US: a plant that used to be located in Moosic, PA, but is now in Doyline, LA. From the addresses, it sounds as though they were intentionally located to minimize damage in the event of a manufacturing mishap!

:P

Capt. William

:P Post 9/11 is tough on us who consume large quantities of black powder. Cannon grade, larger than Fg, is about 10.50 lb. in 25 lb. lots, fg to fffffg is around 9.50. That's average for mail order. On a local note. some Rogers Rangers have tipped me off to 24 lb./ 100$. Trying to get the Park Service to cut me in on their powder magazine(heh,heh) since it's their fort I fire on half the time. A lot of imported powder now. I still shoot yankee powder,yankee cannon, in short, death to all who tread thisaway :P

• 2 weeks later...