^, <, V

Pew

^ Grants Pass is a Pub wasteland. It's either cheesy taverns with "Save a logger, shoot a Spotted Owl" signs over the doors, or Hoity Toidy "Pubs." Nothing with any kind of atmosphere. :rolleyes:

< Stayed up WAY too late, into early, reading a good book. Feel like I have beach sand in my eyes!

V It was my question, I still like it, so pass it on...again! :lol:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I love this Q. too! And I have another favourite pub to talk about -- The Queen's Head in Bulwick, Northamptonshire, England. We'd spent the morning tramping about disused local churchyards with dewy knee-high grass, looking for ancestors. Our pantlegs were drenched and our shoes were muddy. We walked into the local pub just before noon and asked for a table for 2 for lunch. The place was empty and you could have shot a cannon off inside and not hit anyone, but the barkeep asked if we had a RESERVATION! We said no, and he poured over a reservation book, frowning, and then said, okay, I guess we can squeeze you in. We thought he was kidding, but in about 10 minutes everyone from the surrounding towns seemed to flood through the door. It was Sunday, and the pub served a fabulous "Sunday Dinner" at midday. Roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, and all the trimmings. And it's a very picturesque pub, dating from the 17th century:

http://www.restaurant-guide.com/queens-head-3.htm

< Not very productive today.

V Pass the Q, of course!

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

^Okay, I have a very long list of favourite pubs, and I can keep this up for a very long time! (Until someone else changes the topic!) Another of my favourites in Britain is the White Hart in Arundel, in southern England. After a long delay picking up our rental car at Heathrow, we arrived in Arundel around supper time. Too late to tour the castle, but this pub was warm and welcoming and cozy. Very soothing after a hectic day and a rather scary drive on the "wrong" side of the road. I had the salmon. It was delicious!

http://62.128.130.113/CountryPubsSussex/Ch...r6/CPS31090.htm

< All dressed up with 2 hours to kill before my "date".

V Pass the Q -- describe your favourite pub!

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

^ My favorite pub would be one with 99 blends o' rum all lined up on the wall 'n with one hundred ninety nine more waitin' in the back. My favorite pub would be one that ne'er closes 'n bar maids would make e'en the likes o' Al Bundy blush. My favorite pub would be one where there be no worry o' drive'n home drunk for they have pull out bunks on th' walls so there be no reason t' lea'e in the first place, matter o' fact all the bar stools are indeed stools so there Really be no reason at'll for t' e'er leave! Cutlass 'n pistols would be welcome - none o' that pansy boy 'darts', less'n they be daggers :( My favorite pub would be one where e'ery knows yer name, but none care just th' same.

< Wonder'n how I am goin' swing three events next month with gas as $5/Gal!??!

V pass th' question for I cheated, there not really be such a pub :huh:

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

/\ Dirty Dicks Pub in London. The grapevine story was that it be a pet store during WW2 an got bombed out. Next owners made it a pub wi' dead critters nailed ta the walls. The true story goes back another 140 years. Ye can find it online if ye be so inclined. Place was pretty grotty around '77 :huh:

>MIL's takin' all the grandkids to SoCal next week. Rotten timin' cause they'll miss all the piratey events :(

\/Ever get pulled over by the local constable while in garb?

PIRATES!  Because ye can't do epic shyte wi' normal people.

• 1 month later...

/\Yes indeed! Last year, but at a Wild West Event in IA. I was speeding. It was very late (or really early...depends on how you look at ti). Lady cop pulled me over...did the basics with me then asked me "The question!" It was then I had to do the 'walk of shame' in granny-boots and breath into the little machine. I wasn't sweating it at all...I was fine and didn't get a ticket.

>Lady Cop was really pushy with questions and repeated the over and over again...sidekick cop was nice...(Good Cop/Bad Cop).

\/Passing along the question...

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

• 2 weeks later...

^No, I've never been pulled over by the police while in pirate garb. However, I did once ride the subway in a pseudo-Regency outfit on my way to an English Country Ball. One young woman kept scowling at me as if she thought I were insane.

< Need to tidy the house. I'm having a guest for lunch tomorrow.

V Are you comfortable as a host/ess or do you get all uptight about having people over to your place?

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

^ I Love to entertain! Ooh, there are days I like my special quiet time, but I do like to have friends/family over and make everything perfect.. Especially at the holidays. Decorating and planning the evening is a lot of fun!

< Or planning a beach soiree! Those are grande!

V Pass the question

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

^Most recent "best party ever" was the 'Tea on the Lawn' garden party held by my English Country Dance group. To my surprise, it included alcohol -- which certainly improved the cheer, if not the quality of my dancing:

Held at the clarinet player's house. He's a sweety, and a terrific host -- very laid back. When a thunderstorm interrupted the dancing, we retired inside and continued drinking while singing folksongs.

< I had to Google "Perle Mesta".

V Pass the Q -- best party ever?

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

^ A surprise birthday party about seven of my friends gave me a few years back. They hijacked me from work, took me to a really nice restaurant, had balloons and flowers at the table. Really kewl.

< Getting ready to head to the coast for three days on our boat. Trying to escape the 100+ degree heat here in Grants Pass.

V It's a good question, so I'll pass it along.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

^ My 30th birthday party that my boss at work gave me. It was more of a birthday lunch...he also took me to a really nice restaurant, had a cake and flowers waiting, plus a card that said I could have one day off with pay! Those were the days!

< Still trying to recover after the lovely weekend I had at Bristol Ren Faire..

V Passing the question along.

Member of "The Forsaken"

^ Naught fit for print...they might, 'er WOULD ban me!

< I went t' a party once...I think....who are all these people??

V Pass the question (perhaps someone with no imagination can answer it) ;)

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

^ Splashing in the waves with someone cute

< Other than that you'll finde me snorkeling..endlessly :lol:

V Again, passing the question whic begs more answers :)

^Pedalling my rickety old paddleboat down the lake to the local pub, and hoping the boat doesn't sink on the return trip. [it's held together with Marine Goop and obstinance.]

< BTW, this is the pub:

http://www.thefoxandhounds.ca/home_1.html

And I really should be packing!

V Pass the Q -- favourite water activity?

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

^Only the frozen kind when I have to drive in at 4 am.

<Damn East coast winters

V can you swim? what sports on/in the water do you do?

^Like a fish ... or maybe more like a beluga. :blink:

~Waterskiing (well, haven't done that for several years, but I bet I still could)

~Paddleboat

~Sailing (when I get a chance)

~Floating about on an air mattress

~Sitting on a deck chair for hours on end looking out at the lake

~Aquafit (which I'll need to take up again in the autumn after all those frozen cocktails over the summer)

~Living the beach bum life with a Secret Agent/Surfer Boy (Oh, right, sorry, that's just in my dreams). :blink:

< Car's almost packed. Time to post one of my favourite songs again:

Cliff Richard, "Summer Holiday"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7VXw_sK8S58

V What are you doing on your summer holidays this year?

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

^ Swimming - best place to do it is off the Bluffs at Lake Ontario near Sterling Ren Faire...as I can see Morgan Dreadlocke knows the art of TubeSurfing down bluffs.

< So...much to do, but I don't want to do it!

V When's your next Pyratical Event?

Member of "The Forsaken"

^ Blackbeard's Wake - it's one of our semi-annual get-togethers. This year, it's going to be a barbecue on the shores of a lagoon. We're bringing boats and having a mini battle!

< Have been embroidering like mad for the sketchbook project.

V Pass the question.

RHJMap.jpg

^ Not soon enough

< Bothered by bad dreams...time to rethink one aspect of my life

V If you could change something in your life right now what would it be?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

^ There are a few things actually..but I would have followed my dreams more ardently.

< A good thinking question..

V So I'll pass it along